New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord - Chapter 3: The King's Army

Where does the party head to?
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian holds up his hand, and slips into his cheeky, irreverent, street wise charactor. One second, will ya'. Now, we still need a story fr' tha wizard an o' course, lil' ol' me, am I right? Now look 'ere, Egan's a merchent, yeh? Big man in the business, but bein' ver' hushhush like, yeh? He's big an' silent, angry when he's drunk, but drinks in moderation, before walkin' off ta his room to be sullen. A bit rude to everybody, but most'ly doesn't even chat with people, I'll deal with tha'. Call him... Anthony. Not Tony, but Mister Anthony, yeh?

Now, he picks up Friar Bernard here on the road, 'cause it's good luck to have a holy man o' tha roads wi'cha onna trip. Won't tell you how to be a preisty, jus' act normal, yeh?

Jimmy's the big strong muscle o' 'course. Git drunk and be boisterously merry, and act a little dim. Occasionally ask obvious questions about stuff, and work on screwing up your face like you're thinking real hard.

Me? Me? I am of course the wonderful, magnificent, irreverent, intelligent, and honest-I-swear-totally-wasn't-there-yer-honor innocent Max Malcolm, Mister Anthony's humble servent. I'll do most of the talking and stuff. I'll order the rooms, explain our presense, and all that. Then we hit the town, eh?

The halfling pulls out his least fancy coutier's outfit, slashes the sleeves, rumples the collar, rolls his sleeves up just a tad, and leaves his top buttons undone.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-02-24 at 07:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

"Uh, OK Maxy." Throshkar/Jimmy's grin could swallow a dozen canaries. "Mister Anthony, me n' Bernie Dawls is gonna go get some bubbly, 'k? Joe-Joe, once you an' tha boss got a place, swing by tha south gate an' we'll catch up wit youse there."

Louis smiles. Throshkar's urban accent is still atrocious, but the halfling's lessons had brought him a long way. Now if they can just get the big man to shut up...

If there is nothing more, "Jimmy" strides towards the market and begins asking where he can find good booze, good food, and good women... not necessarily in that order.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff:(d20+4)[16]
    Intimidate (as needed):(d20+11)[23]
    Gather Information:(d20+2)[7]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

He's a natural ham. Any luck and everyone will focus on how ridiculos that accent is and ignore everything else. Adrian messes up his hair once more, and starts walking a coin over his knuckles as he saunters out of the alleyway.
    Tallyho chaps, to the tavern!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

As you venture into the market place, it seems like any other market place that you have ventured into before; however, the people seem to have an air of depression surrounding them. Some seem to wonder about looking at the ground while the shopkeepers and merchants do not seem to be pushing their wares at all but sitting back in their stores or by their carts picking at their dusty wares. Also you see a large guard presence in the market place as if they are watching over everyone. The guards are dressed in light armor and carry spears and swords. You see none of the infamous dark knights. Throshkar is able to get some directions to taverns, whore houses, and other places. However, some of the merchants he approached seem to look directly past him and did not answer to his jovial requests for information. Others gave him short directions and did not even ask if he would like to look at their wares. None of the merchants who responded reply to any inquires beyond mere directions and often do not respond back to follow up questions. You quickly realize that even with your disguise you are still standing out as guests in the city you once loved.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

This is baaaaaad. Night time is supposed to be fun time.

Adrian pulls everyone off into a corner. New plan. No joviality, no whores, no drinking unless it's silent and dour. Grunt when you're asked questions. I'll do the talking. The halfling tugs at his cloths again, subtly changing his tousled apearence from dashing to downtrodden.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

"Jimmy" screws up his face in confusion when the little guy waves them over. What was the big deal? So the merchants were cranky. Besides, he was really looking forward to trying out that new joint, the one where the guy said the girls were willing to... well, anyway, he hadn't heard of the place before. Wasn't many of those.

It takes the undercover cavalier a minute to grasp the halfling's meaning, and another several minutes to understand the reasons behind it. Finally, he shrugs and stomps over to the smallest, weakest-looking guard he can find.

"Don't nobody wanna take my money here; where's da action in dis town, bub?" he grumps.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, if needed:(d20+4)[13]
    If that fails, he'll tower over the guy and talk about his need to crack heads when he can't find something fun to do, and he doesn't care whose head it is: Intimidation:(d20+11)[17]
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-25 at 04:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranojoe View Post
    "Don't nobody wanna take my money here; where's da action in dis town, bub?" he grumps.
    Jimmy finds a skinny looking guard in tattered armor who is paroling the outside of the marketplace. The short man looks confused with the large fighter's comments, "What....some merchant is not taking your money? Show me the merchant. We can put a stop to this and get the item that you wish to purchase." The young guard, who is close to the same age as Louis, whistles and a few of his larger comrades come over to where Jimmy is standing. The young guard says to the others who are joining him, "This citizen wants to purchase something and the venders are refusing to answer." One of the larger guards give Jimmy a hard look as if trying to place him and then says, "...You say that a merchant is not selling goods to you? Well that be illegal! Show me the merchant and we will get your goods. Which merchant is it?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian hangs his head. Nononononono!!! He gets to Jimmy's as fast he can without seeming paniced.

Nah, nah boss, you got it wrong. Jimmy here's just upset, and none to articulate when expressing his desires, even before some horse whacks him in the noggin. I can take it from here. Now, Jimmy, what'd I tell you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check FTW!
    (1d20+14)[19]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

The guards exchange glances and then return their gaze upon you. "Say you what?!? You are saying that the merchant gave you a fair price and you were confused? So what is the problem?" Turning now to Adrian the guard asks, "Is your friend confused in the head?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yeah, a few to many falls from his horse, though he was never that bright from the start. C'mon Jimmy, let's take you to see that Friar over there. Maybe he can help.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-02-26 at 08:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

"I's jes wanned ta see da action. Dis such a big-deal town, an' everything's so boooring!" Throshkar paused; it had taken him a moment, but Adrian's words sunk in. 'Nah, nah, boss, you got it wrong.' That was him, boss.

He felt stupid, so he simply walked back towards the 'friar' and others.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The guards still look confused as you walk away. They give you no more attention as you slip back into the crowd.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Dark Lord [Chapter 3] The King's Army

You gather together and walk toward one of the local taverns. The foot traffic on the city streets is low as well as the level of your conversation to each other as you argue over the best course of action. As your discussion continues a small girl approaches the party and tugs on Jimmy's tunic and says in a soft voice, "Me lady has asked me to bring you this flower." The young girl smile and hands Jimmy the flower before skipping away into the market place.

The flower is a ruby red rose with a brown piece of paper wrapped around the stem. You unfold the paper and a message is written inside.

Honey,
    Will you please get the following items from the market.

Mushrooms
    Eggs
    Eggplant
    Tea
    Meat
    Eagle feather
    Apples
    Tuna
    Lentils
    Asparagus
    Nuts
    Tent
    Elephant garlic
    Ribs
    Nails
    Tomatoes
    Almond
    Veal
    Eel
    Rolls
    Noodles

Love,
    O

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian grabs it and grins straight away. C'mon, that's easy.

Read it down. Now, the real question is how important the flower is. Money says we're looking for a red dress with brown lining or some such.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan Brahe (Mister Anthony)

Mister Anthony keeps his dour face on all the while through the marketplace watching his muscle get into trouble again. He mutters, "Why'd I hire that idiot," but then follows his contract negotiator ahead.

After receiving the rose, he glances at the parchment. Speaking to "Boy, you can keep the rose, but dammit, Max, I want a to drink at a better place than this tonight. I need to think about our business."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

Jimmy gawks at the little girl. 'Who...?' Sir Da Gra yoinks the paper wrapping from his hand, but the cavalier manages to keep ahold of the rose. He sniffs at it, briefly imagining Johnathan's wife...

"What's obvious? You know that girl?"

18. - Top - End - #48

SwashbucklerGuy

Anthony reaches over and smacks Jimmy on the arm. "I didn't hire you for your brain. Keep your eyes open."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

The fat simple friar walks complacently around the marketplace. He chats with shop keepers and guards. Moving amiably any devently among the commoners and their ilk.

Blessing upon the day, my child. How fares the city and its ilk? It has been a while since I have walked this far from my simple parish.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gather Info - Mainly what's the main feeling about the new Order? (1d20+2)[22] Whoot...nat 20!

Diplomacy (1d20+6)[18]
    Last edited by Greyen; 2009-02-27 at 06:36 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

As Regis walks through the sparse crowd and talks to the people he gets replies such as, "Honor to the king" "May the new king live forever." "We are blessed to have him for our king." However, there is a sense of melancholy in their voices and they eyes are downcast. At on point a man pulls you aside, "Priest, shut your mouth! Do you live in a cave? Do you not know the new laws. All religions except for worship of the king is banned. Too many of your brothern have been slain. We do not need you slain in our marketplace." With that the man turns in disgust and walks away quickly as if to put as much distance from Regis as he can.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

Slapped on the arm by a member of the lesser classes, Throshkar snaps the rose in half in an attempt to control himself. That wouldn't do! He tries to play off the act as intentional, tossing the broken stem onto the ground, and threading the flowered end into his reddish blonde braid.

"Sorry, boss. Ain't I purdy boss?" he winks.

He considers asking again what Adrian/Maxy learned, but refrains. He is not the leader of this portion of the mission. He will show these men how they should behave. He will lead by example -- will lead by following.

He smirks, then turns to watch for trouble. Markets always contain dangerous, sneaky folk -- beyond the money-grubbing merchants -- like pickpockets and other dastardly rogues. As he gazes, he tries to recall what he knows of the city's darker elements, as well as of the most loyal of the old king's followers. Where would they be under such circumstances?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(d20-1)[5]
    Listen:(d20-1)[16]
    And if they apply, Knowledge: Local:(d20+1)[20]
    And Knowledge: Nobility:(d20+2)[8]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regis

Ohoo!Regis's eyes shoot up into his sparse hairline at the man's words, his mouth forming a puckered "o". He quickly slips his holy symbol back into his shirt and walks back to the others. He whispers as he passes them I'll be right back, they are slaying the priesthood. With that Regis wanders into an alley and casts Misdirection. Scurrying away to don his armor in another alley while his illusory double goes running down the street toward the gates, dissappearing around a corner.

He returns a few moments later, coming from the other side of the market, back in his plate armor, helmet on and shield wrapped in an piece of old canvas sacking. Sorry I'rm late, the pork from that last inn is killing me guts.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

You see a few guards chasing after Regis the friar and as you are about to walk chase after to help your friend you see Regis the warrior emerge from another alleyway.

Jimmy's knowledge of the city is a bit hazy from the few months that they have been gone. However, remembering back to battle plans and trainings regarding if the city walls were breached called for using the churches as places of gathering and sleeping quarters for the troops. Most churches were protected against scrying so they made perfect places for strategies if the main headquarters was destroyed or compromised. Additionally, the heavy stone walls of most churches would protect the nobility from catapult attacks upon the city.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian frets as he spots the preist being chased, and then carefully controls his reactions after he whispers his little bit of news. Okay, new rule. Rule number eighty eight, newbies get to sit down and shut up until we get real plans and real info.

At least he was quick enough to change.

C'mon boss, I think I know a good place to get our heads down.

Spoiler
    Show

Know Local on the Lantern Tavern (location for starters, and thhen repuation) (1d20+8)[27]

Then I will pass all these newbs onto Olna and hit the streets for some gather info checks.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

As he's trying to recall what little he's learned of crooks and thieves in the capital, Jimmy stifles laughter at the sight of the tubby friar fleeing from the stumbling militiamen. He doesn't lift a finger, though. A good beating might teach the man his place. When the cleric's doppelganger arrives a few minutes later, bleating about bad pork, "Jimmy" takes a long moment (as usual) to grasp that his ally had used divine magic to transport himself from one place to another, or something of that sort.

That Regis could no longer comport himself as a holy man was only fair, Throshkar muses... and the thought reminds him of the more delicate noblemen's defense strategies. He is quick to whisper the information to the others as they follow Adri-er, Maxy out of the marketplace.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-27 at 07:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Adrain - The lantern tavern is one of the oldest taverns in the city and located in one of the shadiest as well, the old town. Its basement contained the headquarters for the first thieves guild which later became an opium den. It is know for its roughness but at the same time a certain romanticism. The people who frequent it are known to be the most dangerous criminals on the streets but they would never break one of the houses glasses but instead take the troublemaker outside for an alley fight rather than a bar fight. Its a place that even during the best of times the city guards rarely patrol for fear for their own lives. The cavaliers would not been seen in the area as it might tarnish their honor or to be caught up in a fight with a shady fellow only to be stabbed in the back by his best friend.

As the party starts heading in the direction of the old town they notice that the city has fallen into a state of disrepair. The streets are dirty there are burned out shells that once were homes or places of business. Other places are looted and all but empty.

[ooc: Is your plan to head to the tavern right now or do you need to do something first?]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Adrian's thoughts tumble as he considers Olna's choice of destination. His mother's crowd of classy thieves had it's own little connections to the Tavern, and he'd also tailed other, less savory criminals into there at Thaddeus' behest, so he was more than familiar with the place. But what did it say about Olna? Wannabe trying to seem with it? Maybe, but from all he'd heard, she seemed like the genuine deal, and picking the Lantern was an assertion of her credentials as a such.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Jimmy White

Throshkar does not have to stretch his legs much to catch up to the little halfling. He leans down as he walks and hisses, "Where do you think you are taking us, Da Gra? This is a most troubling portion of the city -- rife with the worst kinds of men. May we not take another path??"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how far Throshkar/Jimmy is willing to go here... he may balk at entering the tavern.
    Last edited by Cyranojoe; 2009-02-27 at 10:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

You are not sure if it is the sun setting or that you are just getting to a shady area of town but you feel the hair on the back of your neck standing up. There are more people milling about in the old town district. You can see people passed out on the sides of the dirty street their opium pipes faintly curling smoke into the dusky sky. You feel the presences of eyes upon you as you tread here but no one seems to make eye contact with you. Adrian leads you off the main street in the old town and your eyes fall upon the Lantern Tavern. For many of you, you have only heard of this places existence in stories and gossip but never laid your eyes upon it. The tavern itself it built like a large wooden lantern. The tavern itself is on the bottom floor and is lit up with large windows and a fire burns in the center of the structure blasting light out into the dirty streets. The second floor has similar windows but covered in a white cloth. Upon the cloth, silhouettes of women dance in the pale fire light illuminating their perfect structures to all that gaze up to the second floor. In front of the tavern gruff men mill around as if waiting for orders from their bosses.

30. - Top - End - #60

SwashbucklerGuy

Egan tries not to look too suspicious as 'Max' leads them into the seedier parts of town. I guess there's no better place to hide than with those that noone wants to look at. He keeps his eyes open as they travel, but in general maintains a dour look and speaks little.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+3)[8]
    Listen: (1d20+3)[19]

Upon arrival at the tavern, he grunts, disguising some contempt. "The drink better be good, Max, or you'll feel my strap."