Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 286
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Highwarlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Berkeley
    Gender
    Male

    Default Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    A cold, sharp wind blowing across the empty, wasted plains rouses you from what seems like an eon of sleep. Your eyes open into infertile, dull-brown earth, and as you lift your head you see the dreary wasteland about you and a group of strangers, also just starting to stir. Your throats and mouths feel parched, as though it were days since you last drank and the pain of parched lips seems to verify this feeling. Your body below the neck still feels numb, though you can manage to look about by twisting your necks.

    The land in which you find yourself seems bleak and lifeless. Almost no hills cut off your view of the grayish flatland’s horizon as it seems to merge with the bleak, overcast sky. As a second blast of frigid wind cuts into you, you notice a single dead tree around half a hundred meters from you of the same color as the dirt bend from the air’s onslaught. This plant would have seemed almost invisible amidst the uniform grey-brown of the plain had the powerful gusts of wind not shaken it so. Aside from this lone tree, there are neither landmarks nor signs of life in the seemingly endless wasteland that spreads before your gaze.

    In much closer proximity, the scene is certainly more interesting. A group of humanoids, including you, lies in a strange pattern about a primitive well. The walls of the well extend barely above your head. A misshapen wooden wheel lies on a stone spoke atop the wall, a length of rope wrapped about it, with one end tied into a knot about the wheel, while the other end is split into four ends, each strung through a hole at the top of a deep and seemingly ancient stone bowl, making for a primitive bucket. The beings sprawled around this construction seemed to have collapsed in the midst of combat.

    A powerfully built lizardfolk warrior lies on the ground as though stopped cold in the act of a charge, his weapon lying out a yard in front of him. The movement of his reptilian eyes and occasional flips of his tongue show him to be alive. No clear foe lies before him, though his body is aligned such that his head faces towards the well, his weapon slightly closer, with his legs and tail splayed out behind him. He appears closest to the well.

    A second lizardfolk lies several yards behind him. This one seems smaller, sickly and frail with far less visible muscle and duller skin. A heavy mace lies embedded in the ground beside him, partially covered by earth. His body is crumpled, a shield propping up his torso that is painfully wedged between his arm and side. It is unclear what his motions were before he fell, only apparent that he had been standing and dropped suddenly.

    A grey, almost featureless creature lies several yards the smaller lizardfolk’s side. Though his features are blank and indefinable, he is clearly inhuman in appearance. The fletching of an arrow can be seen jutting above the ground, though the shaft lies buried beneath it. The arm bearing the bow lies twisted underneath its body, making the direction it was pointing difficult to discern. The end of one nunchaku also juts above the ground, making it apparent that the bow was not this creature’s only option.

    On the other side of the well, a Halfling lies on his back, a rod in his hand lies folded across his chest. A pair of manacles lies mostly buried in the ground, but is nonetheless attached to the belt encircling his brown tunic. Aside from the rod, he does not seem to be armed, and his collapsed figure does not betray any aggressive movement.

    Lying forward, face only two feet away from that of the little man, lies a tall and slender woman. One of her hands lies open, fingers splayed in some complex motion, while the other clutches a robin’s-egg blue cylindrical stone. The side of her robe appears torn and rent, though whatever wound would have resulted from this blow seems to be healed.

    Lying on the opposite side of the human woman’s wound is a short, slender man of seemingly unusual heritage. A mace lies just outside of his grasp, while his other hand is contorted into a strange gesture.

    Lying a good twenty paces away from the rest of the group is a human in fine silks and foppish attire. A long blade remains sheathed at his side, and his arms lie crossed beneath his body. Whatever the conflict occurring at the well, this man had either chosen to stand aside or use a combat stance requiring keeping his arms and hands folded over his chest.

    A gnome stands before this man, hands balled into fists. He collapsed backwards, and awoke facing the grey, featureless sky. A quarterstaff lies partially buried beside him, its tip seemingly straight up, unmoved by the powerful blasts of wind.

    Two figures, however, do not stir. One, a tall elf in brilliant white plate mail armor, inlaid with a bluish swan pattern, lies dead ten yards away from the well at a right angle to the line formed by the lizardfolk and the Halfling. A bright white spear lies clutched in his hands, the tip giving off a faint glow barely visible in the daylight that filters down from the grey sky. A deep gash lies in his side, and the earth beneath him is red with his congealed blood.

    Standing beside this figure with one hand clutched across her throat is the corpse of a Minotaur shaman. The creature wears specially built grey plate-mail armor, with thick sheets of metal covering her chest and shoulders. Sheets of chain lies over her udders, and bands of bolted mail cover her legs and hooves. She holds a wooden greataxe loosely in her spare hand, with its a brilliant red paint stained with the darker red of the elf’s blood. The white skull painted on the axe and red and white headdress covering her head makes her priest-status apparent, though the name of her god escapes your memory.

    A third blast of icy wind cuts into you, and you can feel sensation returning to your limbs and extremities. Though pain fills your body, it is overshadowed by relief at your ability to move.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    Groaning, the halfling sits up. Blinking a time or two, he shakes his head, takes a pull from his waterskin, rinses his mouth out and spits. Shaking his head again, he gingerly makes his way to his feet. Glancing around, he seems confused, and from the rapidity of his blinking, it seems he's trying to disbelieve what his eyes are telling him.

    Then he sees the lizardfolks and the strange grey humanoid. Almost unconsiously his hand works on the rod and a blade pops out the end. Falling into a defensive crouch, he slowly works his way to the well, and cautiously peeps down it's stony gullet.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gorgondantess's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Not in a human colon

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Valter, being called a human, would respond as so: "I'm a sylvan, you monkey, and don't you forget it or you'll be missing an ear."

    The "human" in foppish attire opens his eyes, and begins to groan; then, remembering his image, he sighs softly and springs up to a standing position acrobatically. Now, where have I gotten myself to this time... not one of my better ideas, for sure. He looks around with a roguish grin, sneering ever so slightly, observing the fallen about him. Then, with a sudden realization dawning on his face, he looks down to find the dust on his clothes, and quickly beats it off. "One, two, three... my, my, and what an odd lot these are. And none of them, pitiable fools, posessing a fascimile of the grace and style that has been bequeathed upon poor Valter, who must walk amongst these poor folk until the gods decide to give him what he deserves... although the lady might be good for a night. We shall have to see." He then breaks from his reverie to see movement, the halfling at the well. Lifting a hand daintily, he motions towards him. "Ah, yes, you, boy- or girl, I've never been one for small folk anatomy- well, whatever you are, be a dear and bring me up some water. I seem to have caught quite a thirst." With that he grins broadly, waiting for a response.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2009-02-11 at 01:48 AM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Classic Cthulhu by RTGoodman


    Critical Failures by Strawberries & Captain Happy, respectively.




    Scizor by Mr. Saturn.


  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Highwarlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Berkeley
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Everything seems real to the Halfling. As he peers into the depths of the well, he can see nothing but water within it.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    Stroking his beard for reassurance, Garret draws the bucket up the well, and sets it on the stone edge. Taking half a step away, he gestures from the fop to the bucket.

    Behind his back his nimble fingers twirl the blade.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Ashen Star's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illinois, United States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Hex

    Rolling into a position more associated with standing, the rather unusual looking "man" kneels over onto his hands and knees, left hand wrapped around the mace lying on the ground. Muscle memory, it seems, because after standing up, he almost does not know what to do with the weapon. Shrugging, he ties it off onto his belt, stretches intensely, and then notices the two standing beings. "Hello! And well met!" Grinning broadly, he looks at the two in turn. "And what brings you two out here? I seem to be at a loss, myself." The small man takes a more serious look around, attempting to discern if anything poses an immediate threat to his person. He is simply dressed in tight leathers and vibrant clothing underneath, with a couple objects other than the mace attached to his belt. Boots and gloves complete the ensemble, leaving only his head uncovered. "Ahh, refreshing water. May I join you in such a venture as to hydrate oneself upon such a wonderful beverage?"
    Last edited by Ashen Star; 2009-02-11 at 08:31 AM.
    Avatar by Sneak. Praise!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lukmar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    The gnome opens his eyes and is confronted by a grey featureless expanse. It takes him a moment to realize that he is facing the sky. Closing his eyes, he shivers as icy wind cuts into him. Suddenly something akin to rough sandpaper starts licking Kovl’s face. Opening his eyes again, he finds himself face to face with an orange-striped cat.

    T-Tiger? A hoarse whisper escapes from his parched throat. The cat looks at the gnome and then hops off his chest.

    Gathering his strength, Kovl groggily gets on his feet, blinking a few times as he reaches for his waterskin and takes a sip to wash out the dust and placate his thirst. He then pulls out his quarterstaff from where it was buried, feeling a small measure of reassurance as he proceeds to survey the scene before him.

    Three are already up: a Halfling, a human clad in expensive garments, and an unusual-looking small man. They appear to be weary of each other. Of the remaining figures, two are not stirring at all: a tall Elf and a Minotaur. Those two wont be getting up anytime soon… in fact, looks like they where at each other’s throats… are these people friends or foes?

    Keeping his distance, Kovl turns to face the three already up and greets them in common.

    “Hello there.” He says with a smile “Forgive my bluntness, but do you know where we are?”
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

    Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Sylvash

    Sylash groaned lightly and let out a hiss of anger as he realized how stiff his muscles were, he spotted his axe laying a few feet from him and scrambled to grab it and leap into a defensive position. He spotted a few others up and moving already, a few small folk, and two who look similiar to humans. Sylvash also spotted a well with a bucket sitting on the edge and realized how parched he was.

    Water... Sylvash said in a rough voice.

    He made his way over to the well and looked to see how deep it was, a fresh dip in water would help him break off the lethargy, but then he also realized it was probably too cold to do so safely. So he simply sated his thirst from the bucket and turned to the others, still holding his axe in his hands.

    Where have you brought me and what do you want?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Meltemi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Beneath an infinite sky

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Teira gave a faint moan, unheard over the keening wind and the words of those already awake, as she stirred. Slowly lifting herself up, her left hand instinctively closed around a small cylinder. She looked down at it with curiosity, then to about her, sizing up her surroundings. Five people already awake either moving to or already at the well, two obvious corpses on the ground, and another two not yet awakened. She searched her memory, trying to recall what had happened, but she found nothing. The effect was slightly disconcerting, especially with the large rent in the side of her robes that revealed her armour underneath. Something had to have caused it, and it was likely it should have injured her as well given the damage to several of the chain links, but instead she had woken here, uninjured and amnesiac.

    Slipping the cylinder into a large pocket on the inside of her robe, she began to walk over to the well to join the others, arriving as the lizardfolk took a long draught from the bucket and spoke his piece. She stopped at a slight distance, keeping her back away from either the other five around the well or the four on the ground. "I believe I would like an answer as well. Do any of you have an idea why we are here?" she asked tersely.
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

    I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ethrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On a giant moth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Mordo Aran

    Slowly, ever so slowly, the humanoid of no appearance comes to. He has gray, pale skin, and round, plain eyes. Every other feature of his face is absolutely typical, inhumanly so, it seems the average features of a human are all present on his visage. He is clad in a traveller's outfit, fashioned and folded to be slightly more tight-fitting and compact. Various weapons dangle from areas of his body and as he moves the jangle of glass on glass is heard, slightly muffled.

    As he gets up, an wave of headache floods him and he clutches his head with both hands. Ohhhh... Please don't tell me I've been drinking again. I've been trying to cut down on that... His voice is full of disgrace and sadness, as if the lack of character has been transferred from his appearance to his voice. Seeing the others awake, he turns to them and begins to get up, making in their direction, while putting his nunchaku and bow away.

    Nervously and scratching uncertainly at the base of his neck, he comes up to the group of strangers as they begin their inquiries. Hey...umm, guys, I don't know what I did while was, you know, not in my right mind, but I'm sorry for whatever it was. I'd like to just get back to- Realising he's in a different environment. So, where the f*** are we?
    Also known as Eđræl

    Spoiler
    Show



    PM me for Uncrushed Banners


    I'm taking a few avatar requests

    Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

    Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Highwarlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Berkeley
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    To those who drank -
    The water is brownish and tastes faintly of mud, but to your parched throats it feels as crisp as water from any magnificent spring. Aside from the refreshment of the drink, you don't feel any different.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-11 at 01:45 PM.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ghal Marak's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Gathnashk

    Gathnashk quietly picked himself off the ground, rubbing his side to ease the pain. The only noise he made was a hiss as he picked up the nearby mace, the effort aggrivating the bruise in his side. Spending a few seconds to glance over the others, he turned to the two dead and pondered for a second. He finaly walked over to the corpses, his curiosity (and hunger) besting his thirst.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    Glad he has something to occupy himself with for the moment, Garret twirls the rod, instinctivly pressing buttons his conscious mind doesn't remember, and the blade slides back in. Tucking the rod away with a movement almost too fast for the eye to follow, he sets to work lowering, and hauling the now refilled bucket back up. Offering it to the lizardfolk who'd made the demand for water, his curiosity gets the better of him as he finally speaks up, to ask "Do...do any of you...know what happened? How we got here?"

    As he asks his hands unconsciously pull forth the rod and keep playing along it's length, his fingers dancing over odd protrusions in it. In response to his unconscious play, a blade keeps popping out, and sliding back in.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-11 at 04:28 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Sylvash

    Sylvash continues to gulp water down, feeling better with each gulp, and finally decides to strap his axe back across his back. Rising to his full height, he looks apon the small man and replies.

    No, ssso you don't know why we are here either then little one? Sylvash says with a hiss as he continues to eye the others, and notices someone near the bodies of the two who aren't moving.

    That one seems to know something we dont, lets ask him...

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lukmar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Kovl’s smile fades somewhat when he realises that none of the others seem to be better informed than he is. Seeing the lizardman drink avidly makes the gnome’s train of thoughts go back to his own waterskin and something he noticed upon getting up… a detail. Something he dismissed offhandedly but which has been steadily nagging him for attention. Crap! We are in the middle of nowhere!

    Scanning the surrounding plains as far as the eye can see, the next thoughts come almost unbidden, as his natural curiosity takes over. Okay. We are in what appears to be a cold, barren wasteland. There is naught in sight but that scrawny tree and the well. No roads. No paths. No signs of civilisation. How did such a disparate group of creatures come together in this place? By what means did we travel and how long did it takes to get here from… from… No matter how hard he tries to concentrate, Kovl cannot for the life of him remember where he came from. Or what he did yesterday. Or anything much from before waking up.

    Damnation. Why is there this blank in my memory? Is it only me or…

    Suddenly looking up at the rest of the group, he addresses all of them with a deceptively calm voice, the kind one would use to ask about the weather or any matter of small import.

    “Good people. Can any of you remember anything prior to waking up here?”
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-11 at 10:05 PM.
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

    Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Meltemi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Beneath an infinite sky

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Teira

    Teira shook her head rather sharply. "Unfortunately, I remember nothing." She glanced at the lizardfolk, who seemed to have finished with the bucket and put away his weapon. "It may be that he knows, or it may not. I would say it to be the latter, but there is no place here for him to flee to even if he knows something. If you are finished, however?" Moving to the bucket beside him, she takes a drink of the water still left. Setting down the haversack from her back, she began to look through it, taking a quick inventory. Since it seems several have brought waterskins, it is likely I also...no, it seems that wherefore I was here, I at least did not plan for an extended trip. But this... she paused as her hand stopped over a familiar-looking book, and she remembers a flash of something, conjuring mighty forces with the words within this leather-bound cover. Though curious, she decides not to draw it out with the others around, instead pulling out two identical stoppered flasks. Opening and filling each in turn from the water left in the bucket, she then proceeded to return them to the haversack. Standing again, she added to the others, "It seems there is very little to recommend this place. I suggest that we at least take what supplies we can as we discuss this, if we truly are all in a similar predicament."
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

    I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    Uncertain as to who or what he is, Garret is glad of direction, and sets to work, searching the elf for items still of use. When he's finished, he goes to do the same to the minotaur. At one point he almost absent-mindly pulls a small stick from his pocket and waggles it forcefully. A second later, it's as if he just noticed the stick, as he self-consciously tucks it away again.

    Search - (1d20+8)[19]
    UseMagicDevice - (1d20+6)[16]
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-12 at 12:20 AM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ethrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On a giant moth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Nodding along to the rest of the groups announcements of their lack of memory, Mordo only then realises just how parched his throat is. Yes, water..., he says as he twists round, checking his person for a waterskin. Finding it, he takes several long gulps from it, and then fills it up from the bucket when the others are finished. Turning around so as to get a better look at the plain, he catches sight of the tree and becomes greatly interested.

    I might not be the smartest out of you guys, but does anyone else find it weird that there's a tree in the middle of a barren wasteland? And why the hell's it grey? I'm gonna go check this thing out... Pocketing his waterskin, he begins to trudge off to the tree, trying to regain some more motion into his weary muscles.

    Spot (At the tree and its surroundings) (1d20+4)[10]
    Also known as Eđræl

    Spoiler
    Show



    PM me for Uncrushed Banners


    I'm taking a few avatar requests

    Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

    Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Highwarlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Berkeley
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret -
    Spoiler
    Show

    // OOC: I believe you removed the wand of detect magic from your character sheet, per your IM. It is not currently there, so if you'd kindly edit your post . . .

    Your search of the elf is surprisingly fruitful. The plate mail covering the elf seems to be made for both beauty and practicality, the blue enamel of the swan pattern swirls along the sides of the armor in a cursive elven writing along one side of the torso, reading "Silver" though the other side is too mangled by the force of the blow to make out. The spear seems to be of the same make, with a bluish pattern along its white length and an intricately shaped blue swan just before its faintly glowing white tip. Additionally, the elf bears a belt with three pouches. Two of these contain opaque flasks while the third contains a seemingly hollow clay ball three inches in diameter. Finally, the elf's white belt is inlaid with three blue gemstones, one of which glows faintly with a light similar to that emanating from the spear, with the other two dim and cracked.

    Searching the minotaur yields a much less helpful surprise. The armor seems to be crafted custom for a female minotaur, and its thick plates seem almost impossible to stir. Touching the axe causes a feeling of intense heat to flow up your arm, numbing your hand. The minotaur's belt pouches contained six flasks, but they have been crushed under her body and their liquid has since seeped into the ground. There is also a wax scrollcase that has been partially crushed, though the papers within seem to still be legible.

    // OOC: Roll a fortitude save, DC 12. Fail renders whichever arm you would have used to touch the axe temporarily useless. Play that out as you will.


    Ethrael -
    Spoiler
    Show
    The tree seems to blend in oddly well with the landscape when it is not shifting, but otherwise appears to be natural. You are unable to discern if it is alive or dead, and the area around it seems as empty as the rest of this wasteland.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-12 at 02:21 AM.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ethrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On a giant moth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Spoiler
    Show
    ((How far is the tree? Minutes or seconds' walking distance?))


    As he nears the tree, he slows and eventually stops. Looking up, he begins to take a closer look at it, a little to the left, then to the right. He clearly isn't great at looking for things. He moves around the tree, looking up and down all the while.

    Search (1d20)[4]

    When he has circled it once, he discovers the one place he hasn't look at. In it.

    ((What rolls do I have to make to jump into and climb the tree?))
    Also known as Eđræl

    Spoiler
    Show



    PM me for Uncrushed Banners


    I'm taking a few avatar requests

    Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

    Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Sylvash

    After quenching his thirst, Sylvash decided to take a look at the axe the minotaur had. He walked over and picks it up noticing a flash of heat which he shrugs off easily, he notices that the axe is of well quality but decided to look into it more later once they found out something of how they got where they are, and where that place is, Sylvash places the axe down near the well along with his axe.

    After that he decides to search the well, I want to search this well, no one touch these weapons, the minotaurs axe has some sort of defensive magics on it, but it did not affect me, if any of you are casters can you look into it while I check the well? No one touch my axe, any who do will be dealt with when I return from the bottom.

    Sylvash climbs over the edge of the well and leaps in. He floats slowly down to the level of the water and begins swimming easily. He calls up to the others,

    Im going to dive and see what I can find, and also see how deep the water is.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Jump:(1d20+14)[17] Jump is not really needed since I dont take falling damage. Forgot that as I remembered I had the ring of feather fall.
    Swim:(1d20+14)[19] Swim is just to dive and look around.

    Also I am assuming that I have put the painful axe across my back with my axe, also forgot my fortitude save, so ill roll that and the search check in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-12 at 10:46 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Ashen Star's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Illinois, United States
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Hex

    After helping himself to some of the water from the bucket, Hex starts to take a look around the nearby area. Ignoring everything everyone else seems to be looking at, the feytouched attempts to discern which direction they could have come from and if anything is noticeable off in the distance, while at the same time looking for anything laying around that isn't obvious. A rather awkward sight to behold, for certain. All thoughts of small talk flee Hex's mind, of course, what with attempting to discern information that is uncertain at best.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot - (1d20+3)[10]
    Search - (1d20+2)[5]
    Avatar by Sneak. Praise!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Meltemi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Beneath an infinite sky

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Teira

    As several of the others moved to examine the bodies, Teira remained to examine the well and their environs more closely. As well, she tried to gather what little she can remember, trying to identify her surroundings and any other points of interest.

    As one of the party returned with the minotaur's axe, he stated his intention to explore within the well. As he set action to words, she knelt beside the axe, examining it closely to determine if anything seemed familiar. Keeping his warning in mind, however, she avoided physically touching the weapon.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Search - well: (1d20+3)[15]
    Spot - surroundings: (1d20+1)[17]
    Knowledge (Geography) - surroundings: (1d20+5)[15]
    Knowledge (Arcana) - axe: (1d20+8)[23]
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

    I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ethrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On a giant moth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Having contemplated entering the tree's branches, Mordo finally comes to the conclusion that it would provide a better perspective of his surroundings.

    Jump - (1d20+9)[15]
    Climb (in case it's needed) - (1d20+6)[19]
    Balance (" ") - (1d20+5)[21]

    If he succeeds:

    Spoiler
    Show
    He attempts to climb onto one of the lower branches, then climb to the highest that can support his weight (160lb). There, he will try to see anything different on the horizon.

    Spot (the horizon and the whole plain in general)- (1d20+4)[10]


    If he fails:

    Spoiler
    Show
    He will try again:

    Jump - (1d20+9)[24]
    Climb (in case it's needed) - (1d20+6)[14]
    Balance (" ") - (1d20+5)[18]


    If he fails the second time, and even if he succeeds (when he's finished) he eventually trots back to the well and the gathering of friendly strangers. He speaks generally and really quite depressed-ly, as if he doesn't believe the hope which lurks somewhere in his question. Anyone find - or remember - anything?
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-02-12 at 02:21 PM.
    Also known as Eđræl

    Spoiler
    Show



    PM me for Uncrushed Banners


    I'm taking a few avatar requests

    Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

    Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    @DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I realized that when I was lying in bed after making the post. If you don't mind, I'd like him to have a wand with all the charges used (so it's basically just a stick.) He still subconsciously associates it with searching, so will try to activate it each time, until he finally gets good enough to realize it's useless. If that's a bit too much, I'll edit the post, and just drop it.


    FortitudeSave - (1d20+1)[13]

    Jerking back with a shock when he'd touched the axe, Garret barely bit back a yelp. Returning to the elf, he lets the lizardfolk warn the others of the axe, while he tried on the belt, seeing if it caused any noticable change.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-12 at 03:02 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Highwarlord's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Berkeley
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Ethrael -
    Spoiler
    Show
    The tree is approximately two hundred yards from the well, not a significant distance by any means. The tree is apparently not hollow, so your attempt to look within it would require a bit of vivisection.

    You climb the fifteen foot tree easily in your first attempt, but your view of the horizon does not yield anything useful. The greyish-brown wastes go off as far as you can see in all directions.


    Seff -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your body tingles slightly as you put on the elf's belt, but it subsides quickly and you don't feel any different upon wearing it.


    Meltemi -
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize that the axe is made out of magically augmented wood, enchanted to be as hard and durable as mithril. Unfortunately, you cannot recognize the symbol inscribed on the axe, aside from being fairly certain that it is the symbol of a deity.

    As for your surroundings, you are fairly certain that the landscape is unnatural. Its ground bears the characteristics of soil suited for rain and life, and the sky is overcast, but the total absence of grass or shrubbery seems suited only for the harshest desert.


    Sylvash -
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your parched skin practically sighs with refreshment as you dive into the frigid, murky water of the well. The surface of the water contains the floating corpses of a throng of small insects, though no living specimens seem to be about. The water flows gently past you, making it apparent that this is part of some underground stream. You manage to dive over sixty feet below the surface before coming to the bottom. The depths of the well seems to be littered with the skeletons of fish and a few frogs. As the gentle current moves the corpses downstream, it becomes apparent that the dead wildlife is not from this well alone, with skeletons of floating from upstream as well.
    //OOC: I'll leave you to describe it to the rest of the party
    Just an affable fellow, really.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Lukmar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Seeing that none of the others seem to have any answers, Kovl sets down his backpack and begins examining its contents, in the hope that something may trigger his memory.

    Brushes, charcoal crayons, chalk… a string instrument of some kind… am I a performing artist? Papers… lots of paper and… a book? He pulls out a leather-bound volume and stares at it, ghosts of memories stirring just beyond his grasp… Nothing. Shaking his head he replaces the manuscript and pulls out several brightly colored shirts. Well, at least I have enough clothes, if nothing else. He muses with a grim smile.

    Eventually Kovl goes through all the possessions in his backpack, though nothing triggers any memories of his past life. As the group moves to explore their surroundings, Kovl pulls out a pair of goggles and approaches the well. Seeing the human female studying the minotaur’s axe intently, he smiles and asks.

    “Found anything of interest?”


    While waiting for a reply, Kovl dons his strange goggles and kneels to examine the well.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the late post. Anyways, Kovl searches the well for anything that would be out of the ordinary: Search check: (1d20+13)[27]
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-12 at 04:35 PM. Reason: format
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

    Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Seffbasilisk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    PA these days
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Garret Leafgrower

    Curious, the halfling quickly picks up the spear, and tries stabbing out with it, to see if it has the same effect.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

    "Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht


  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ghal Marak's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    Gathnashk

    After simply looking over the two bodies, and watching what happened when the others interacted with them, he gave up on messing with the bodies for now and went over to the well. Peering over the side, he watched the waters to see if the other Lizardfolk would surface.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Ethrael's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On a giant moth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

    ((When I said "Inside" I meant "Amongst the branches"))

    Dismayed by his lack of findings, Mordo leaps off the branches acrobatically, rolling smoothly (hopefully) on the ground and does as aforementioned, he walks back to gathering point and talks to everyone in general. I can't see anything about the horizon, and the tree doesn't seem special other than it looks like the rest of this blood-boring dump if it doesn't move. He slumps himself on the ground. Did anyone else find - or remember- anything, for that matter?

    As he sits, he begins to finger at the loop on his nunchaku, soon picking it up to inspect it. He begins to spin it around a little and sees he has good control of it. Impressed, he puts it back and leans back, putting his hands behind his head.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Jump (1d20+9)[13]
    Tumble (1d20+10)[14]
    Also known as Eđræl

    Spoiler
    Show



    PM me for Uncrushed Banners


    I'm taking a few avatar requests

    Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

    Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •