New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

Sylvash -
    Spoiler
    Show
    The voice hisses in reply "We know of no 'well' . . . we have not ventured upstream since the dead began drifting down to us. Perhaps it is time we went forth." You hear a rustling noise, and it confers briefly with the other speaker before saying "return to the water - we shall follow you up to this . . . 'well.'"
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-22 at 09:04 PM.
    Just an affable fellow, really.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Lost and Clueless (... and May the Gods themselves Weep at What we Have wrought)

Sylvash

Sylvash gets back in the water, aware that he may be ambushed at any point during the swim, but willing to risk it in order to try to learn more. He swims back upstream the current making it a much harder journey.

Follow me upstream, I don't know how far it is, so don't get behind, I won't stop for you.

Spoiler
    Show

Swim check: (1d20+16)[26]

Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-22 at 10:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sylvash -
    Spoiler
    Show
    //OOC: Seems the solo portion is coming to an end. Hopefully the others will be posting soon.
    As you swim upstream, you find that the water is much thicker than you remember it being underneath the well. As you swim up into a grotto, you find the consistency of the water seems to thin once more. Eventually, you see a dim light coming up through a chute. It takes your eyes some time to adjust to even this minimal amount of lighting, but you can finally see your surroundings. The ground is still thick with skeletal remains, and there are occasional clumps of ash flowing from upstream.

The two creatures were able to keep up with you easily in the water, and you can occasionally feel one sweep past you and then fall back. As you enter the light, you can finally see your odd companions. Both are coated in pitch-black scales that seem to glisten in the little available light, making their form visible. They appear to have the rough form of elongated lizards, with webbed front and rear claws. A dorsal ridge runs from their draconic heads, flowing over their spine to the ends of their tails. As they swim, this ridge moves in a wave pattern, giving them increased maneuverability in the water. Stranger still, long, dark wings spread out from their sides. While they keep up with you easily without exerting them, one will occasionally give off a powerful flap of its wings and propel past you, before opening the wings wide to let the current move them back behind you once more.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-22 at 11:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

DruidGuy

Sylvash

They are up above, let me go up and get them to let their guard down then I will call you up. What are your names, I am Sylvash.

Assuming they agree, I will climb up and speak to the group in common,
    Below me are two odd creatures like I have never seen, or remember seeing anyway. They are under ther assumption that they are here to come and eat the humans and other fleshlings. We need to appear weak, but when the time is right we have to ambush them and hopefully we can learn more of where we are.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower

"If we appear weak...won't they attack us anyway? I can try, but I promise you, the first one that tries to bite me will die. Do we have to go down there? It seems like we'd stand a better chance up here." Garret questions, absent mindedly fingering his blade, hoping he was a fighter.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sylvash -
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the creatures, presumably the one you spoke with, nods at your suggestion. "Then go with strength - strength in Tooth and Claw!" They seem confused by your question of name, seeming to not understand the word you used. "We are darkdweller."

7. - Top - End - #127

After having started pacing to and fro, Mordo is greatly startled when Sylvash comes up. Upon hearing his news, his face shifts from surprise and fear to a sly smile. Appear weak, huh? As he says this, he shifts from a tall broad elf to one two feet smaller, skinny and frail. His face has developed wrinkles and his skin tone is pale and sickly. Tell me, why is it they want to eat the humans? Have you found out anything else from them? His voice is wavering and weak, like that of an old man.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

PM me for Uncrushed Banners

I'm taking a few avatar requests

Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

8. - Top - End - #128

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Upon hearing their questions, Sylvash takes the axe from his back and turns to his new companions and says in common,

They will come up to us, but they think you all to be weak. Ready yourselves and I will call them up, you should probably try to appear frightened but as soon as they show themselves adn are clear of the well we will attack.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Halfling in the Playground

Teira

Teira nodded at Sylvash's suggestions. She shifted her working area away from the well and withdrew a small crossbow from within her robes. Loading it with that unfamiliar, yet practiced ease that no longer surprised her, she set it behind a piece of wood, hidden from sight of the well yet readily available to pick up at a moment's notice. "Then, we shall be ready."

Something suddenly occurred to her, an odd sensation that there was something else she could yet do. She stood up and approached Mordo. "Excuse me, but may I..." She paused, at a loss for words and distinctly uncomfortable with the mental gap that it signified. "I think that there is something that needs to be done for the coming conflict, as you appear to lack armour of any sort." Concentrating, trying to keep the elusive flickers of memory firmly in her mind, she drew a small piece of leather from her spell component pouch and began to chant softly. As she felt the power flowing up, she touched his arm, and she felt it surround the changeling in a protective cloak. As the fragment of leather crumbled to dust, she stepped back and looked at her hand with some surprise. "That was unusual." She bowed imperceptibly and returned to her work near Garret and Kovl.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast spell on Mordo Aran: Mage Armour
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

10. - Top - End - #130

Mordo draws his Ghost Spike, ready to wield it with both hands and moves towards the well, crouching and seemingly resuming his previous sketching in the dust.

As Teira approaches him, noting his lack of armour he lifts a knowledgeable finger and begins to try to correct her. Ah you underestimate my abilities, you see, as I trained- As she casts the spell, however, he shuts up, staring on in wonder as the effects take place. He whispers an oath in a mysterious language, full of guttural and fluctuating sounds. Thank you. He manages simply, reverting to his previous voice.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kovl

When Teira proposes building more than one craft, Kovl quickly thinks it over and nods his agreement. “That is a prudent idea, and it will be easier to lower several smaller craft down the well rather than a larger one.”

As Sylvash re-emerges from the well with his news and plan to ambush the creatures, Kovl mentally goes over his weapons before selecting the crossbow. Following Teira’s example, he loads a bolt and hides the weapon from sight, though it is still within easy reach.

As he turns to resume the work on the water craft, he is caught stupefied by the spell Teira cast on Mordo. Again, memories dance just beyond his reach, so tantalizingly close… The book! That spell is written in the book! I know it. I… Suddenly oblivious about their soon to arrive ‘guests’, Kovl opens his backpack and pulls out a leather-bound volume, hoping to bring into focus more memories as he pours over the arcane symbols contained in its pages.

Spoiler
    Show
    If we are doing initiative straight away, I would say that Kovl is caught distracted for the 1st round
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-25 at 03:30 AM.
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower

Somehow cooly confident that his stature will convince the well-dwellers that he's weak, Garret shifts the rod to a shortsword and practices holding it awkwardly, as if uncomfortable with a blade in his hands. When they come up, he hunkers down further, and retreats a half-step, almost behind Teira.

Bluff - (1d20+9)[19] (+whatever circumstance modifiers apply)

13. - Top - End - #133

Gathnashk

After swimming upstream long enough to grow concerned about air, he turned back and swam for the well. Resurfacing and seeing no one at the top, he climbed out and looked around at the assembled group. "I did not find him going..." He trails off when Sylvash pulled himself out of the well. "Ah, I see. Your not dead. Good."
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2009-02-24 at 01:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh I didn't know we were supposed to make Bluff checks to act weak. Can I make a Disguise check as I have a +10 on it due to the shapechanging? I'll make both in any case:

Bluff- (1d20+7)[23]

Disguise- (1d20+12)[32]

Hell yeah!

Mordo nods at Gathnashk and seems to visibly relax upon seeing Sylvash.
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-02-24 at 04:16 PM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Perhaps he did not see becuase these are creatures of darkness, and they also had no problems swimming the whole distance easily, they must be very adept at hiding. But don't believe me if you wish. I will call to them soon since they speak draconic, and they will side with me if you wish... Or you can get over your self doubts and ready yourself for battle, so that we can defeat these enemies and hopefully learn something from it. Sylvash says as he draws his axe from his back, choosing it over the wooden one because he is as of yet unsure how it will react.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming everyone is ready, I will now call to the dark ones.

In Draconic, Come new friends these fleshlings are distracted amongst themselves and unprepared for what comes.

16. - Top - End - #136

Hex

Simply taking everything in stride, Hex slumps forward a bit, attempting to look defeated and unable to comprehend anything other than fear.I hope this works.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff - (1d20+8)[21]

17. - Top - End - #137

((So much for editing the posts...))

As Mordo dismisses the chance that Sylvash may have been lying, he seems to be getting sick of his cynicism, yet smiles wryly when he tells him to ready himself for battle. You think I'm not ready?
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-02-23 at 06:09 PM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check: (1d20+5)[25]. Do I get any bonus for actually being distracted?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Valter, who had been silent until now, looks up from his musings. "Appear weak, eh? Under normal circumstances I should refuse, but considering the circumstances, I shouldn't even need to try." With that, he stands up shakily, and using his blade as a crutch hobbles over about ten feet from the well, andbeing propped up casts a spell to prepare for the ensuing confrontation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Casting shield.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

20. - Top - End - #140

"I shall do my best, then." Leaning over, Teira did her best to look completely absorbed in her work, maintaining an impassive air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+0)[2]
    Ruya Perist, Flight from Ironheart
    Teira Feiwright, Lost and Clueless

I am me, you are you.
    We’re totally different, separate persons.
    But even so, what if we have just one thing in common?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upon Sylvash's call down the well, two dragon-like creatures burst forth from the well. Their elongated lizard-like body spreads easily over nine feet in length, and a ridge runs from their heads down over their spine, thinning as it reaches the ends of their tails. Their ebony scales glisten in the veiled light from the overcast sky as they slough off the well's water. Each of the creatures gives off a cry in their own language as they climb up into the sky. One of them gives off a second cry, in a language more familiar to some.
    //Those who can speak draconic -
    Spoiler
    Show
    "By Tooth and Claw! The sky belongs to darkdweller once more!"

It seems in their exuberance to take flight, they have forgotten about their original intent entirely. The two soar a hundred feet above ground and begin making circles around the area.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-23 at 09:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Do you know where you are, or where this is? He calls in Draconic. Turning to his companions he says in common,

They are acting as though it has been a long time since they have seen the surface. But I guess that soon there exhilaration will end and they will be hungry for flesh. Let them get close so we can bring all our strength to bear then attack. If they are truly interested in talking instead of fighting, then let us learn what we can of this place.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower
    AC: 20
    HP: 21/21
    Initiative - (1d20+5)[23]

Cautiously working his sling out of his belt, Garret slides a stone into it's pouch, and slowly lets it down to dangle, readying himself to strike first should they seek to attack. At Slyvash's works, he gives him a curt nod, clutching the sling just a bit tighter. Here's hoping I know what to do with this... he thinks to himself.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2009-02-23 at 10:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

The two figures seem to remember their original purpose and circle much closer to the group. The one that spoke in Draconic does so again, this time directed at the two lizardfolk -
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Strike at the softskins, surfaceprey of scale, and we shall slaughter those who lift up arms against you!"

25. - Top - End - #145

Acting terrified and startled by the arrival of the dark ones, partly true, Mordo stumbles back, clutching his Ghost Spike for support. He looks up as they soar above and whispers to Sylvash, What are they saying?

Oh and Initiative was 16 for me.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Sylvash was slightly taken aback at seeing them in the light, but was quick to action, he turned to the others and said in common, Anyone who can attack at them while they are airborn should do so, if we can bring them down then we will have an advantage. Wait for my signal.

To the other darkones he yells in draconic, Come friends these weaklings are cowed by your magnificence, let us destroy them together! I do not want to take all the fun for myself, I have already injured the pompous man, Sylvash says pointing at Valter.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-24 at 11:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret Leafgrower

Tensing his arm, in preparation to whip it around and send the lead slug skyward, Garret holds for Sylvash's signal, hoping the lizardfolk knows what he's doing.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kovl

As the dragon-like creatures shot out of the well into the overcast sky, Tiger begins hissing and puffs up while tracking the aerial display. His reading interrupted, Kovl finally takes notice of the two creatures as they address the lizardfolk in draconic.

Nodding absentmindedly as Sylvash warns them to wait for his signal before initiating the attack, he closes his book and follows the creatures with his gaze as they begin circling closer to the group. Wait for the signal… wait for it… he thinks to himself as his hand opens and closes repeatedly, betraying his nervousness.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-02-25 at 03:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

The two 'darkdwellers' watch Sylvash and Gathnashk carefully, but continue circling thirty feet over the group.
    Last edited by Highwarlord; 2009-02-24 at 04:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

DruidGuy

Sylvash

Upon seeing that the beasts were staying up, he yells to the group, NOW! He also turns to Valter and attacks using the back of his axe in an attempt to get the dragons above to come in melee range.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll for attack: -2 for non-lethal (or is it -4? If its -4 then minus an extra 2.
    (1d20+7)[26]

Damage:(1d10+10)[14] Edit: ill choose to remove all my str dmg, didnt know you could do that so its only 4 dmg. instead of 14.

Hopefully this will get the dragons above to attack down, and also throw my friends off enough that they think its real.
    Last edited by LittleCarp04; 2009-02-24 at 05:04 PM.