New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I'm considering collecting old science-fiction magazines

Specifically, seventy years' back issues of Astounding/Analog. Currently I have two, but that's two less than whatever eight hundred-odd there are. What suggestions does any of you have regarding this? Specifically, places to buy, methods of preservation and storage, etc. Also, my intention would be to read all of them. I might even try scanning them to my computer. What an archive that would be!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I'm considering collecting old science-fiction magazines

Used book stores? Of course you could always look on ebay and such places to see if anyone is selling them.
    As for preservation... I can't imagine they need much preserving just yet. The ones I have are all in pretty good condition, but I imagine vacuum sealed containers are the way to go. None of that pesky air to mess with things, and no dust either.

My dad has several years worth of Analog in some boxes. I tried going through them all, but the sheer magnitude of it and the fact that my mom kept telling me to clean them up defeated me for the time being.
    Super-amazing avatar by Ceika!
    << It's a mound of rainbowflesh, do NOT forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by xNadia View Post
    See the rainbowflesh, EAT the rainbowflesh, BELIEVE THE RAINBOWFLESH!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I'm considering collecting old science-fiction magazines

Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    My dad has several years worth of Analog in some boxes. I tried going through them all, but the sheer magnitude of it and the fact that my mom kept telling me to clean them up defeated me for the time being.
    Oh, poor you; I could take them off your hands!

Also, I just checked eBay, and yay! there are a lot of them on there, for not very expensive. I can tell I'll need to rein myself in before I buy the whole lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.