New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Jude's Judgmental Jugular Jab and Jibber Jabbery Random Banter #115

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Though the age thing annoys me too. Age and spelling ability aren't related.
    Except they totally are. There are, of course, plenty of exceptions, but, in general, a class of 11th graders will spell better than a class of 6th graders.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Well I am off to shop like a good little consumer.

See you guys later! l
    Have fun.

@Quincunx: How about a marinaded in a Raspberry wine for 8 hours and then slowly grilled over charcoal?

3. - Top - End - #303

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    :@Dragonprime: People always do.
    I don't think you understand the importance of this. I am older than you, hence I am superior (trust me, it's logical). Now this places me higher than someone who can pass off as a 20 year old badass. Using basic math we can deduce that this makes me the most amazing person on the planet! Isn't it fascinating?
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

4. - Top - End - #304

This makes me laugh. I hope it wasn't on purpose.
    Not really, as much as I wiish I coul say it was, it isn't.
    I'm battling a really severe headache verging on migraine that I've had for a few hours now and is making my a bit careless and more prone to being weird.
    Hence my sudden acquisition of a paladin class feature that I don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    To be honest, my attention was just caught by the title.
    Many times I have been caught the same way. Normally ends up well.

Right. And I'd totally lend it to you after reading it myself, were it not for the inconveniently large distance between Newcastle and Cornwall.
    I know. Shame really, but I'm bettin some people living in ridiculously large countries are reading this and thinking: 'it can't be more than six hundred miles. I could travel that in a day.'
    Silly perspectives.

Well, me being a science-y person it seemed like something I should have.
    Perception and expectations aren't everything.

Apparently, 'This selection offers a cross-section of his writings, organised around coherent themes.'
    So it's a bit bull really. Just oddments. Still, ncie to see the thoughts of a genius.

Well it is supposed to be a classic.
    It's wonderful.

Ditto. Also I have a vague recollection of Shadow mentioning it in American Gods, hence interest.
    Was it? Well, I haven't actually read American Gods yet. But, I have read most of his novels and some of his short stories. The Problem With Susan is disturbing and creepy.
    An it's definitely a classic.

Faustus was the only play of his I'd heard of until I got this book. I won't know if I'd recommend it until I read it.
    I quite possibly would like that. And so my list of books to get is extended once more.
    Wikimapedia says this; and this site has the play etext if you want a swift browse. Many good quotations.
    And lists of books exist to grow rapidly.

Not bad for £30, I feel. Yay for Blackwell's half price on Oxford World's Classics. Though these were only 7 of the around 70 books I was interested in from that offer (And that was me trying to restrict myself a bit too).
    My comment regarding lending of Flowers Of Evil applies equally to the other books.
    Nice. And it's always a problem trying to pick books. Normally if I want to buy a brand new book I'm stuck trying to pick out of . . . twenty to forty usually. Not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by eidreff View Post
    @Curly:

You made me go read an article tho' which can only improvalize my writing.
    *cries quietly in a corner*
    Headachey, grammar induced pain. No!
    And really, an article?
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-02-13 at 06:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechafox View Post
    Except they totally are. There are, of course, plenty of exceptions, but, in general, a class of 11th graders will spell better than a class of 6th graders.
    Well, yes, ok, to certain extent they are. I'm not expecting a 5 year old to spell antidisestablishmentarianism perfectly, no matter how smart they are. But beyond the age of about 11 when you've (hopefully) learned the general rules of your language, there's not much progression on the spelling front.
    Last edited by Phaedra; 2009-02-13 at 06:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306

Age and spelling have somewhat of a link, by after a while it's a matter of how lazy and/or smart you are. I remember being able to easily seperat there, their, and they're when I was 7, but most of my friends are lazy and STILL don't know. At 16 that's just disgraceful.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

7. - Top - End - #307

Disgraceful indeed. Punctuation rather than spelling, but my GCSE english class had to be re-taught how to use apostrophes
    I mean, seriously. I was all like 'Huh? I learned this 5 years ago. Do you people not have memories?'
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

8. - Top - End - #308

Disgraceful indeed. Punctuation rather than spelling, but my GCSE english class had to be re-taught how to use apostrophes
    I mean, seriously. I was all like 'Huh? I learned this 5 years ago. Do you people not have memories?'
    Apostraphes are also something people don't remember enough of. It's not like the rules are complex or anythingwhether it's a contraction or the possessive form of a word.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    I don't think you understand the importance of this. I am older than you, hence I am superior (trust me, it's logical). Now this places me higher than someone who can pass off as a 20 year old badass. Using basic math we can deduce that this makes me the most amazing person on the planet! Isn't it fascinating?
    No, you can't be the most amazing person on the planet. Well, it's possible, since Richard Feynman is no longer alive. But there's still Sam Beam, and Wayne Coyne, and Paul Simon, and Nathan Fillion, and Demetri Martin...right?

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Not really, as much as I wiish I coul say it was, it isn't.
    I'm battling a really severe headache verging on migraine that I've had for a few hours now and is making my a bit careless and more prone to being weird.
    Hence my sudden acquisition of a paladin class feature that I don't want.
    Ah. Hope ya feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Well, yes, ok, to certain extent they are. I'm not expecting a 5 year old to spell antidisestablishmentarianism perfectly, no matter how smart they are. But beyond the age of about 11 when you've (hopefully) learned the general rules of your language, there's not much progression on the spelling front.
    Age and spelling have somewhat of a link, by after a while it's a matter of how lazy and/or smart you are. I remember being able to easily seperat there, their, and they're when I was 7, but most of my friends are lazy and STILL don't know. At 16 that's just disgraceful.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-02-13 at 06:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

@ Curly:

oh noes... don't cry curly lady!

Yers ma'am, 'n article, like they av on them rumbly wagons, y knorr the articleated ones.

Actually I went to do a bit of reading and found some fascinating web articles that I have bookmarked for later perusal. And it was all due to your comment about the ize/ise ending piquing my curiosity.

On the general topic:

I could not even spell my name properly until I was about 10.

My grasp of reading/writing was abysmal, particularly spelin and I was put into a remedial class. I much preferred this to proper lessons as we go to play dominoes... Seriously though, this was down to a combination of factors, but mainly poor teaching.

When I reached 11 I met a truly inspirational teacher. and by the time I was twelve had the reading age (as judged by the schemes the schools i attended ran) of an 18 year old... I read the first three Thomas Covenant books within a few weeks of meeting the inspirational teacher, and after that the Shanara(sp?) Trilogy as it was at the time was easy meat.

Age may not be the biggest factor in spelling achievement, but it contributes. Exposure to positive influences, practice and good guidance/encouragement accumulate over time.

I think that I can make myself understood reasonably well these days.

Edit: I was tied up in knots over whether to use the Oxford Comma in the above
    Last edited by eidreff; 2009-02-13 at 06:33 PM.
    Why cannot life be simple? I am simple, therefore surely something that i try to do must also be simple

11. - Top - End - #311

No, you can't be the most amazing person on the planet. Well, it's possible, since Richard Feynman is no longer alive. But there's still Sam Beam, and Wayne Coyne, and Paul Simon, and Nathan Fillion, and Demetri Martin...right?
    Do you think that any I the people you just listed can con an entire forum into electing them Fighter itp?

Edit: I just got on the plane to Budaspest. Goodbye, I'll see you all in a week.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2009-02-13 at 06:46 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

12. - Top - End - #312

Ah. Hope ya feel better.

Agreed.
    Agreed.
    @dragonprime: It is not logical, And I'll prove it using only intuition.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

My view of spelling is so rigid that I can't understand misspellings, anagrams, and dyslexics' attempts to communicate. The last year or two and its attendant moments of dyslexia frighten me. Something is malfunctioning inside my brain and I haven't got a substitute system for guessing my way to the proper spelling.

Wolfbane: Wine is perfume. Marinade has usually turned out well for me, though.

eidreff: Very glad you're enjoying it. If memory serves, there's even a story in that set dealing with those excess Us.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

@^ (and any others who are caused pain)

I apologise for my wilful spelling, sometimes it's deliberate, some due to me failing my touch typing roll, and others due to sheer lack of gorm.
    Why cannot life be simple? I am simple, therefore surely something that i try to do must also be simple

15. - Top - End - #315

The plane I'm on apparently has problems with the hydraulics, meaning that all us passengers get to wait around for at least half an hour. How wonderful.
    Last edited by DraPrime; 2009-02-13 at 07:41 PM.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

The plane I'm on apparently has problems with the hydraulics, meaning that all us passengers get to wait around for at least half an hour. How wonderful.
    Ah, the joy of plane flights.

Something always happens.

In any case, I hope everything gets sorted out before you have to wait too long and that you have a good trip.

17. - Top - End - #317

According to the pilot some paperwork just needs to be sorted out, and then we'll be going. I gotta turn off my iphone now, so goodbye to you all.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

18. - Top - End - #318

Yeah, I ended up having to sleep on a couch in Denver! Denver! Because of plane problems delaying the flight and missing our connection. Not fun. Goodbye Dragonprime. Happy Friday the 13th and Death Metal Day.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Not fun indeed. :/

Here's something cool to cheer you up: TA-DA!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

My plane story beats yours!

We were supposed to fly home from Hawaii at 1:30 yesterday afternoon. We were boarded and ready to go when the flight attendant announced that because of an obscure part that had malfunctioned, we had to get off the plane while they tried to fix it.

So we sat in the Maui airport.

FOR SEVEN HOURS.

It was 8:15 last night when we finally took off.

We got home at 4:15 this morning, crashed at friends' houses, and got up for the 5-hour drive home. Finally here now, but I'm operating on less than three hours of sleep, which doesn't have me at my best.

@above discussion (grammar and spelling): I don't think spelling is particularly related to intelligence . . . dysgraphia and dyslexia as evidence, since genius people can have either disorder.

21. - Top - End - #321

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    @above discussion (grammar and spelling): I don't think spelling is particularly related to intelligence . . . dysgraphia and dyslexia as evidence, since genius people can have either disorder.
    Those are what we call "outliers".
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

We were supposed to fly home from Hawaii at 1:30 yesterday afternoon. We were boarded and ready to go when the flight attendant announced that because of an obscure part that had malfunctioned, we had to get off the plane while they tried to fix it.

So we sat in the Maui airport.

FOR SEVEN HOURS.

It was 8:15 last night when we finally took off.

We got home at 4:15 this morning, crashed at friends' houses, and got up for the 5-hour drive home. Finally here now, but I'm operating on less than three hours of sleep, which doesn't have me at my best.
    Ouch. Have a hug.

At least the sleep thing will be good for us—I've found that how entertaining a person is varies inversely with the amount of sleep they've gotten.

I dunno. I think, at least to some degree, it is somewhat related to intelligence. Dysgraphia and dyslexia are special cases, as they are legitimate learning disability type things.
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-02-13 at 09:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Although no delay was involved, I have an interesting plane story. During thanksgiving weekend of 2008, I was with my parents and younger brother on a plane bound for California because we had plans to visit my sister while she is in college, and go to Disney Land.

Anyway, on the way, there was an announcement asking whether there was a doctor or pediatrician on board because a child was having difficulty breathing due to an allergy to dogs. I'm not sure about the exact procedure, but my father administered some basic medical care, and afterward there was an ambulance called to the airport.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

[unlurk]
    I'm back!
    Anyone miss me?
    *crickets chirping*
    oh well. I haven't been on a plane ride in a long time. They're fun, tho. Especially when you hit a huge air pocket, and it's kinda like a roller coaster. With no rails. Or real safety guarantee.
    *swears never to get on a plane again*
    [/unlurk]
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Ouch. Have a hug.

At least the sleep thing will be good for us—I've found that how entertaining a person is varies inversely with the amount of sleep they've gotten.
    Thank you, O sneaky one

I dunno. I think, at least to some degree, it is somewhat related to intelligence. Dysgraphia and dyslexia are special cases, as they are legitimate learning disability type things.
    An excellent point. I guess my opinion probably makes more sense in the context that I've never had a spelling test in my life...as Ego once said, homeschoolers pwn!

(or was it Bookman? One of them said it and the other quoted it in their sig. Dammit. Faulty memory systems! )

26. - Top - End - #326

Yes, we did.
    My spelling actually, has seemed to get worse over time. I can spell when I'm just spelling, but when writing,
    So, any dreams involving the playground? I sometimes have them, but they tend to involve being lynched in WW games or banned by Roland. Not always though.

EDIT: I went it to the webcomics forum and the TOWN. I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2009-02-13 at 10:25 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Honey, you just met your match.

Spoiler
    Show
    On my plane flight home from Brisbane a few weeks ago, I managed to somehow miss the plane by about three minutes. The plane was still there but boarding had closed. The airline, which will remain nameless (rhymes with... Not Jetstar) only had one more flight to Sydney that day, fully booked. It's two flights the next day only had one seat remaining on one and the other fully booked. After pointing out how ridiculously stupid it was to have only two flights going to Sydney per day, I stormed off in a rage.

After visiting several other airlines and finding out that all of them were fully booked for the day, I was disheartened. That was until a ticketing man told me I could book to go from Brisbane to Canberra and Canberra to Sydney. I should mention at this point that I was travelling with my mate Anuan, who hates flying. I paid for our tickets (he didn't have any money, what was I supposed to do, leave him stranded?), and just at that moment, the ticketing machines broke down!

So, with two hand written tickets that looked like they'd been made by a con artist, and poorly, we had less than three minutes to check in our luggage and get to the boarding gate. "COME ON WERE GOING TO SYDNEY NO TIME TO EXPLAIN!" I shouted at Anuan, hoisted our collective bags over my shoulder (mine containing a 10kg (22 pounds) set of weights) and ran for the baggage stall. With our bags checked in, mine just under the maximum weight, we raced through security and down the halls of the airport, a large clacking sound emanating from our collective thongs.

Then we found out our flight had been delayed by fifteen minutes, sat down, and rested.

The flight to Canberra was pretty simple, except for one occasion. There was a bit of turbulence on the way up, and Anuan said to me, "If we die, I am going to be so pissed." I didn't particularly care or find it very likely until halfway through the light the radio broke out. "Excuse me passengers, we are experiencing some techincal difficulties-" the broadcast came. Oh ****, we're all done for, I thought. "-with the News Tape this afternoon, so we'll be putting a different tape on in just a few moments.

...Should have said NEWS TAPE before TECHINCAL DIFFICULTIES, maybe???

Anyway, we arrived in Canberra, where I quickly spent almost twenty dollars on soft drinks and chocolate bars (we hadn't eaten all day thanks to the constant rush) and soon boarded our flight.

There was only one problem. It rained. And it stormed. Then it rained some more. It was when the lighting and thunder started to come down that it got really bad. Now Annie, who both hates flying and is a hydrophobe, was suitablly unimpressed.

Three hours later we arrived in Sydney. It was far too late to catch our connecting flights so we ended up staying with my Step Brother Nick. We got home, book later flights, and feasted on Pizza. I slept soundly for the next 36 hours before eventually returning to Albury.

So, yeah. Top that.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

How about 36 hours of non-stop flights and layovers?(happened 4 times!)

I had a Thursday that lasted 48 hours.(Happened only twice, and the second time was only about 30 hours and a Monday).
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2009-02-13 at 11:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329

I clearly need to fly more often. Mine are usually so uneventful. /
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahh... reading week.
    And a quiet Fryday evening with some 85%-cocoa chocolate, green tea, and a lap warmed by the gentle purring of my computer.

What's the good word, my dear banterers? What Fryday news?