New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Race] Goblin

A goblin stands 3 to 3½ feet tall and weighs 40 to 45 pounds. Its eyes are usually dull and glazed, varying in color from red to yellow. A goblin's skin color ranges from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red; usually all members of a single tribe are about the same color. Goblins wear clothing of dark leather, tending toward drab, soiled-looking colors. Goblins speak Goblin and Common.

• -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
    • Small: As a Small creature, a goblin gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks, but also uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • Goblinoid: Goblins are humanoids with the (Goblinoid) subtype.
    • A goblin's base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Sneaky Tricks: Goblins know how to take advantage of surprise. Whenever a goblin strikes a foe that is flat-footed, he adds 1d4 damage. This is not precision damage, so this additional damage affects even creatures who are immune to sneak attack or critical hits.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Goblins, being warlike creatures, have adapted a variety of unique weapons for their own use. Goblins are considered proficient with any weapon that has the word "goblin" in its name.
    • Sneaky: Goblins receive a +2 racial bonus to Stealth checks.
    • Born In The Saddle: Goblins receive a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Ride checks.
    • Darkvision: usable out to 60'.
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Orc, Terran, Undercommon.
    • Favored Class: Ranger.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-02-13 at 05:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: [d20r, Race] Goblin

Fax if you keep moving in the direction you have so far this will be the most inherently powerful system since Palladium.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Looks good. Not as weak as all monster races from core D&D. Also, while the listed favorite class is Rogue, a Goblin Ranger combining Ambush with Sneaky Tricks would work nicely. But do Sneaky Tricks work with touch spells?
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-02-13 at 04:59 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Looks good. Not as weak as all monster races from core D&D. Also, while the listed favorite class is Rogue, a Goblin Ranger combining Ambush with Sneaky Tricks would work nicely. But do Sneaky Tricks work with touch spells?
    If it's a weaponlike spell, yes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Not too much to say, really. I like it. It takes a monstrous race that was gimped by WotC because it was a monster, and makes it equal to "normal" player options.

I really like the pseudo sneak attack, it fits very well.

And due to Born in the Saddle, I'm assuming the fluff of Goblins + Worgs is being pretty much kept?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    If it's a weaponlike spell, yes.
    Neat. As for other comments, I'm thinking if Ranger wouldn't be a better option for the favored class. And since we're at goblinoids, are you going to keep Bugbears' racial Hit Dice?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice picture too. Goblins need more love.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I really like the pseudo sneak attack, it fits very well.
    Lifted it right off my ranger. :P

And due to Born in the Saddle, I'm assuming the fluff of Goblins + Worgs is being pretty much kept?
    Yup. I'll probably be adding in a barghest thing too, where the chiefs and such tame barghests and use them for mounts.

Neat. As for other comments, I'm thinking if Ranger wouldn't be a better option for the favored class.
    Maybe, I'm not sure. I could certainly see it.

And since we're at goblinoids, are you going to keep Bugbears' racial Hit Dice?
    Nope. Anything I've listed in my master index (with the exception of the templates) I'm aiming at putting around LA+0. I'll be making paragon classes, though, to compensate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    Nice picture too.
    That's the goblin artwork from the regular Monster Manual.

[*] Sneaky Tricks: Goblins know how to take advantage of surprise. Whenever a goblin strikes a foe that is flat-footed, he adds 1d4 damage. This is not precision damage, so this additional damage affects even creatures who are immune to sneak attack or critical hits.
    If it's not precision damage, what is it? I have difficulties coming up with a different way to explain utilizing the surprise of a victim to cause more damage.
    Last edited by Tingel; 2009-02-13 at 05:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe, I'm not sure. I could certainly see it.
    Well, goblins are both sneaky and warlike as well as savage, while Ranger is an ambusher and a scout operating in wilderness.

Nope. Anything I've listed in my master index (with the exception of the templates) I'm aiming at putting around LA+0. I'll be making paragon classes, though, to compensate.
    Well, Bugbear's not on the list, so I take it they won't be included at all?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    If it's not precision damage, what is it? I have difficulties coming up with a different way to explain utilizing the surprise of a victim to cause more damage.
    Smacking them really hard? Catching them off-guard? Making them move into the blow?
    Well, goblins are both sneaky and warlike as well as savage, while Ranger is an ambusher and a scout operating in wilderness.
    Convinced. Ranger it is.

Well, Bugbear's not on the list, so I take it they won't be included at all?
    Heh. I might add them. I've already got a lot of races.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

What about the natural un-readiness of a victim when he is "flat-footed". Generally when a person is not prepared for combat they sway and move differently, thus allowing an opponent to swing into the victim's movements rather than with them. whoops, sorry fax, you got at that one earlier than i did.
    Last edited by WaterTengu; 2009-02-13 at 05:46 PM.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis
    Smacking them really hard?
    Why is "smacking them really hard" restricted to surprised victims?

Catching them off-guard?
    That is just another way to say that they are caught flatfooted. It doesn't explain how the extra damage was inflicted.

Making them move into the blow?
    How can the goblin make the victim move if said victim doesn't even see his attack coming? "Moving into the blow" (whatever that exactly means) would be a reaction to the attack, which is exactly what flatfooted creatures don't have.

Of course it doesn't matter that much, since you just added it as a mechanical bonus, and as such it works just fine, but I can't help but wonder about the nature of the sneaky tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterTengu
    What about the natural un-readiness of a victim when he is "flat-footed". Generally when a person is not prepared for combat they sway and move differently
    That's exactly why sneak attacks are possible, and sneak attacks deal precision damage.
    Last edited by Tingel; 2009-02-13 at 05:57 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

That's exactly why sneak attacks are possible, and sneak attacks deal precision damage.
    Sneak attack is "I stab you in something vital." Sneaky tricks/ambush is "I hit you when you don't see it coming."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Excellent, as usual. The only problem I see is that they will gain proficiency with anything with "hobgoblin" in the name.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. I'll probably be adding in a barghest thing too, where the chiefs and such tame barghests and use them for mounts.
    Well, I like it is; as a general bonus. I like replacing wolves and worgs with hyenas and krenshar, if only to be different.

17. - Top - End - #17

Sneak attack is "I stab you in something vital." Sneaky tricks/ambush is "I hit you when you don't see it coming."
    And a mindless golem/zombie shouldn't care about the last one, because they're not exactly trying to dodge you in the first place.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

A golem at the very least is trying to mitigate damage either by dodging or by putting something in the way. Not to mention its much easier to hit somebody harder when your attack is more "putting all the force you have into it" than "seeing an opportunity to make a relatively minor attack, and taking it". When people don't see you coming you can attack with more power, because you don't have to defend yourself, and they aren't going to move out of the way at all.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Knaight is on the right track here. The bonus damage comes because the goblins feel safer against flatfooted opponents, and thus instinctively hit slightly harder than they normally would. They probably don't even notice it, aside from things dying quicker and more often when they're flat-footed, which reinforces their natural instinct.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or its the idea that they strike like a mobster when they attack a flat footed enemy. A rogue strikes really precise when it attacks, but here a goblin is just taking time to swing extra hard while their ally covers for them or lining up their shot on a shocked and confused enemy.
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.