New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [Template] So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Seadreamt

Seadreamt are creatures of the phantasmagorical with unusually strong ties to the Whale Dream, a state of mind that links one's consciousness with that of dream and the melody of the mental resonances within that only sea-bred beings seem to fully understand.

No longer truley gripped by reality, they soon find they can exist outside of the water, breathing freely and swimming amongst the heights. Many creatures freed from their restricting to the water rarely wish to return, many only doing so to feed. They tend to follow storms, relishing the wild moistness within as a substitute for the seas.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Sample Seadreamt

Seadreamt Porpoise
    Medium Magical Beast (psionic)
    Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: Swim 80 ft. (16 squares), fly 160 ft. (average)
    Armor Class: 17 (+5 Dex, +2 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
    Attack: Slam +6 melee (2d4)
    Full Attack: Slam +6 melee (2d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Miasma, psi-like abilities,
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., hold breath, immunity to electricity, low-light vision, naturally psionic, resistance to cold and fire 5, thin breathed, waking dream
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 21, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
    Skills: Listen +8*, Spot +7*, Swim +8
    Feats: Hover, Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Temperate aquatic
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or school (3–20)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Advancement: 3–4 HD (Medium); 5–6 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: —

Combat

Blindsight (Ex): Porpoises can “see” by emitting high-frequency sounds, inaudible to most other creatures, that allow them to locate objects and creatures within 120 feet. A silence spell negates this and forces the porpoise to rely on its vision, which is approximately as good as a human’s.

Fascinate (Su): Those within 100 feet that see a seadreamt porpoise flying must succeed on a Will save (DC 11) or become Fascinated for as long as they are in range. Any potential threat allows the fascinated creature a new saving throw.

Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the fascinated creature, automatically breaks the effect. This is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.

Hold Breath (Ex): A porpoise can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 6 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Miasma (Ps): Though prefering moist cloudcover or sea fog, sometimes a seadreamt porpoise cannot always manage to find such ideal environs. Their desire for moisture however is so strong that it manifests itself in the form of a strange bank of sea-scented mists that follows the seadreamt wherever it flies. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). This mist always completely covers the creature, plus extends out to twice the space the seadreamt takes up.

Non-seadreamt that enter this cloud see strange visions and experience odd sensations. Those within must succeed on a Will save (DC 11), or be affected as by the Microcosm power for as long as they remain within. Those that leave and then return must make another save.

Naturally Psionic (Ex): A seadreamt porpoise gains 1 bonus power point.

Psi-like Abilities: At will - Control Air. Manifester level 2nd.

Thinbreathed (Ex): A seadreamt porpoise is immune to altitude sickness and all other conditions stemming from attaining great heights. They still suffer from airlessness however.

Waking Dream (Ex): Seadreamt porpoises are immune to magical sleep and dream-based effects, and gain a +4 saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Skills: A porpoise has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. *A porpoise has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks. These bonuses are lost if its blindsight is negated.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Creating a Seadreamt

"Seadreamt" is an inherited template that can be added to any living creature that either possesses the aquatic subtype or spends their entire life within water, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

A Seadreamt uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.
    Size and Type: Animals and vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.
    Speed: Seadreamt creatures gain a fly speed twice that of their swim speed with the maneuverability listed below:

{table]
    [tr][td]Size[/td] [td]Maneuverability[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Fine to Dimunitive[/td] [td]Perfect[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Tiny to Small[/td] [td]Good[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Medium to Large[/td] [td]Average[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Huge to Gargantuan[/td] [td]Poor[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Colossal[/td] [td]Clumsy[/td][/tr]
    [/table]

Special Attacks: A seadreamt retains all attacks of the base creature plus the following attacks.

Fascinate (Su): Those within 100 feet that see a seadreamt creature flying must succeed on a Will save (DC = half seadreamt's HD + Cha mod) or become Fascinated for as long as they are in range. Any potential threat allows the fascinated creature a new saving throw.

Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the fascinated creature, automatically breaks the effect. This is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.
    Miasma (Ps): Though prefering moist cloudcover or sea fog, sometimes a seadreamt cannot always manage to find such ideal environs. Their desire for moisture however is so strong that it manifests itself in the form of a strange bank of sea-scented mists that follows the seadreamt wherever it flies. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target). This mist always completely covers the creature, plus extends out to twice the space the seadreamt takes up.

Non-seadreamt that enter this cloud see strange visions and experience odd sensations. Those within must succeed on a Will save (DC = half seadreamt's HD + Cha mod), or be affected as by the Microcosm power for as long as they remain within. Those that leave and then return must make another save.
    Psi-like Abilities: At will - Control Air. Manifester level is equal to the base creature's HD.

Special Qualities: A seadreamt retains all qualities of the base creature plus the following qualities.

Immunities (Ex): A seadreamt gains immunity to electricity.
    Naturally Psionic (Ex): Seadreamt gain 1 bonus power point.
    Resistances (Ex): A seadreamt has resistance to cold 5 and fire 5.
    Thinbreathed (Ex): A seadreamt is immune to altitude sickness and all other conditions stemming from attaining great heights. They still suffer from airlessness however. As well, gilled creatures can substitute clouds and fogs for water.
    Waking Dream (Ex): Seadreamt are immune to magical sleep and dream-based effects, and gain a +4 saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Dex +4, Cha +4.
    Feats: A seadreamt gains Hover (though produces no movement of air). Otherwise same as base creature.
    Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
    Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +4.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-06-21 at 01:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Template] So long, and thanks for all the fis

I have one request: a PrC that would allow me to acquire this template.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I am just crazy in thinking that an apostrophe would make this look a lot better, i.e., seadream't rather than seadreamt? Such minor quibbles aside, love the expansion of the Whale Dream.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Am I the only one who thought of the Wind Fish (from LoZ Link's Awakening) when I saw whale dream?

Anyway, really cool, wish you were in MitP, this is awsome, and i second fax's request.
    Cekiatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis, Master of Nuance
    I have one request: a PrC that would allow me to acquire this template.
    Hrmmm, don't know about that, as this gives alot of benefits that'd make a character extremely versatile, much less giving all of its benefits all in one go.

I am just crazy in thinking that an apostrophe would make this look a lot better, i.e., seadream't rather than seadreamt? Such minor quibbles aside, love the expansion of the Whale Dream.
    It does sorta, though is that proper english (if their is such a thing)?

Am I the only one who thought of the Wind Fish (from LoZ Link's Awakening) when I saw whale dream?
    Never played that, but I was told it was perfect for explaining Pines of Rome from Fantasia 2000. Be sure to continue to Pt. 2. Its to the right.

Hadn't seen it before until I just now looked it up. Enjoy!
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-05-02 at 11:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dreamt is correct, not dream't. It follows the same logic as burnt and spoilt.

Mind you, I have been meaning to talk to you about your frequent misuses of the word "whom..."
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JackMann
    Mind you, I have been meaning to talk to you about your frequent misuses of the word "whom..."
    Yeah, I know, can never remember where to stick it...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The word 'who' is used as when referring to the subject, while the word 'whom' is used when referring to an object. Or something like that. Woot for high-school English classes!
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Seraph, of the Eighth Sea
    The word 'who' is used as when referring to the subject, while the word 'whom' is used when referring to an object. Or something like that. Woot for high-school English classes!
    Yeah, its not so simple as that, and the rules are easily forgettable.

Enough of that though, this thread ain't going off the deep end! ;)

(also just adjusted to specify that gilled creatures can breathe fogs and clouds in place of air... otherwise they wouldn't live too long flying high...)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

So does the miasma allow gilled seadreamt to breath, since it is fog.
    Cekiatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Narf
    So does the miasma allow gilled seadreamt to breath, since it is fog.
    Aye...