New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avengers of Mer'kah Vol. 1 TPB

Marcus & Cassio

Meanwhile, back at the stables, a handsomely dressed young man reclines on a chair next to a large stall containing a great white stallion and a smaller though equally well-bred mare; though it seems his duty was to look after the horses, his face is buried in a book of chivalric stories. So intent was he on these tales of fictional heroes that he didn't notice the band of costumed crusaders that was now gathering near--including his own commander.

"Enjoying yourself, Sir Scholar?" Marcus loudly asked the reader, who got up with a start.

"My lord I'm sorry I...wait, you're not Mar-" he stopped in mid-sentence as Marcus lifted his visor and smirked. "That's Captain Mer'kah to you, old friend. And these are the Avengers, our new teammates. I'll introduce you once we're on the road, but you might want to get into a disguise of your own first."

"A-ha, I knew it! We are the legendary heroes, but we're not to have our enemies know who we really are and get power over us--it's just like in this one book I'm reading, The Incred-" he stopped again as Marcus cut him off with a stern look. "Sorry. So how about, The Masked Avenger?"

Marcus shook his head. "We have what, six of those already?"

"Right. How about, Bard-Man!"

Marcus rolled his eyes. "Think harder, Cassio."

"What about The Orator? It fits what I do."

Marcus sighed. "How about Sir Spoony?"

"That's not very kind of you, sir."

"Yes, well keep working on it but for now just get our horses ready, we need to get moving immediately--I just need to take care of one thing, a promise I made in haste."

It was just after that when they heard the stir between El Caramesi and Jarvis.

"Pardon me for a moment." Marcus stepped out of the stables and saw King Turnah at the balcony. He bowed and, after listening to his words, nodded in agreement, pleased to hear his own words coming from the king.

"That is all I or any of us can ask, King Turnah, thank you for hearing this request. When we return victorious and with this murderer, this--blasphemer in custody, I trust we will work further upon fulfilling this promise of fairness."

Bowing once more, Marcus turned back to see Thokk leaping to his horse. "Ares has the right of it! Scout, bring me my steed!"

The young man, Cassio, now disguised in a red and blue version of his traveling clothes, with a wide-brimmed hat and mask over his face ((Disguise Self spell)), leads out the horses and, though he was tempted to ask what that was all about, he wordlessly hands Marcus his lance after he mounts. Marcus lifts the point of it toward the sky.

"Ride, to Grenville and then to victory!"
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2009-02-22 at 06:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikola

Nikola, after a few awkward attempts, finally manages to seat himself on a handsome grey stallion. He nods his head at Ares's words. Yes, enough prattling. That means you too, Captain. And without further ado, he shakily starts his horse forward.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    In the interests of appeasing the party and keeping the game from lagging, I'm going to assume El Carmesi accepts the King's word as good enough.

You ride for some time through uneventfully bland countryside. It's a fairly pleasant ride, if rather dull. That all changes as you draw near the university town of Atha halfway between Atlan and Grenville. The iconic gold dome of Atha University's main hall seems to be... missing. And that pillar of smoke rising from the burning town probably shouldn't be there... for that matter, the town shouldn't be on fire in the first place. And you're definitely certain the city shouldn't be blanketed in a swarm of crawling vermin. That big centipede looks especially ominous... he's got to be... gods, you'd have to call something that big truly colossal. You can see a shining red glyph on the big centipede's head even from here. If you can take it out the rest of the vermin might disappear... if you're lucky.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    23 Huge Spiders
    21 Strangefate
    20 Ion
    18 Captain Mer'kah
    18 Colossal Centipede
    18 Ares
    14 Huge Scorpions
    13 Scarlet Witch
    12 Spiderman
    8 El Carmesi
    6 Centipede Swarms
    6 Gargantuan Centipedes

The destruction is obvious from some distance away, so you may approach more or less at your leisure... but the townspeople will suffer while you delay.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Elsa

"Hmm. Gigantic insects." She reaches into her robes, and produces a small purple lump of scales. She sighs with a tincture of disgust and amusement, and thwacks the lump sternly with two fingers. "Sir Bentham, it is time for you to wake up."" The squamous lump unfolds, revealing diminutive scales, miniature wings, an almost adorably small tail, and the various other downsized draconic minutiae that compose a pseudodragon. Sir Jeremy Bentham, pseudodragon and utilitarian philosopher, groggily leaps up into the air, flying alongside Elsa's head.

"Sir Bentham, there seem to be several overengorged insects wreaking what, if I am not mistaken, would seem to be havoc, or maybe catastrophe. Any advice?" The small dragon mulls over the options available to his well-endowed* mistress, before telepathically responding.

<The greatest pain to the greatest number!>

Elsa sniffs at this, plucking the dragon out from the air with her hand and stuffing it back into her robes. "That is terrible philosophical advice, Sir Bentham. Why, I could have come up with that all by myself." She sighs, faintly regretting. binding a familiar spirit that claimed to have a doctorate in philosophy when it clearly lacked the physical adaptations necessary for turning the pages of a book or writing dissertations, vis a vis the opposable thumb.

But nonetheless, there are still giant insects, and thus, there must be some considerable quantity of arcane power dispatched in their general direction. Such is the way of the world. Elsa continues riding toward the city and the monsters, her riding dog's hide changing colors with every pace it takes.

* With arcane talent!
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Thokk

Finally! A battle worthy of heroes. You there Mer'kah's boy...
    With a leap Thokk vaults from his horse, but what lands is not an Orc but a god. Clad in a gleaming black breastplate adorned with a fiery sword, pauldrons in the shape of a hell hounds snarling snout, a short black kilt, and sandals, stands Ares dressed for battle.
    .. hold my horse's reins. I'm going to go kill a bug.

With this simple declaration Ares charges towards the city at breakneck pace.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus & Cassio

Cassio gasps when he sees the destruction. "Not the university!"

Marcus shakes his head thinking if only we'd been here sooner.

"Right. I'll charge the colossus (as if Ares could ever outrun Cervus); Carmesi, let us slay it together. Casters--"

He breaks off momentarily, surprised at the sight of the small dragon flitting about Elsa's head. Now that's something you don't see everyday. "--Casters, do anything you can to keep the more numerous vermin off our backs. Spiderman, since you're our most agile warrior and this fight should be right up your alley, the battlefield is at your discretion."

Spoiler
    Show
    ((If there are no objections Marcus spurs his mount to a gallop; if possible, just before we get to the town Cassio will cast Cat's Grace on Marcus and begin to orate an inspiring story (Inspire Courage +1) of "the Heroes of the Golden Age."))
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2009-02-22 at 09:16 PM. Reason: had to add the pun, and misunderstood who Thokk was referring to

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikola

Nikola Nods at his Leaders words. If You Don't mind me Sir, I"m going to slay The giant Centipede myself. And without further ado, Nikola Charges his horse after Ares, thinking about how best to kill the giant bug.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Pietro

"Don't lie to me, Cap. You think because I'm Spiderman that I have some sort of special advantage here." Pietro grinned. "Kidding. I'll do my best to help Nikola. I think I can hold the big thing up for a bit." He then dashes off after Nikola and Ares.
    Last edited by Woodsman; 2009-02-22 at 09:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry - had an orientation day this morning, so couldn't post El Carmesi's acceptance.

Also: Holy Crap That Was A Bad Initiative Roll.

El Carmesi

"Right." said El Carmesi, running off the back of his horse and leaping across onto Cassio. "No sense riding another horse into battle. Go, I will jump off from your back."

10. - Top - End - #100

BlueWizardGirl

Important OOCness
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I did this correctly you should all be able to view and edit this so you can move yourselves around the map. Please don't abuse your powers.

Before anyone panics, may I remind you that you're a larger, more powerful than usual party, you can afford to nova to your heart's content, and if you can defeat the big centipede the rest will follow?

I gave those still mounted something of a head start, but I had to compromise with Strangefate... I don't know whether he's planning on staying mounted or not, so I've kept him on the horse but put him neck-and-neck with those on foot.

We formally enter initiative NOW, starting with... well, as long as you don't plan on interfering with each other Strangefate, Ion, and Captain Mer'kah can post in whatever order they deem fit.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ugh, nevermind what I said about Cassio casting Cat's Grace, I forgot to give him back his ranks in Concentration when I dropped Melodic Casting.

Marcus & Cassio

Cassio, after getting over the initial shock of having a kobold--even a teammate--jump onto him, thinks for a moment.

"This reminds me of when the Man of Adamant single-handedly slew an army of giant ants...", he starts orating.

Spoiler
    Show
    Inspire Courage +1 to attack, damage and saves vs. charm/fear for everyone who can hear on his initiative.

"One way in--let's clear a path, people!" Marcus shouts as he stands and leans forward on his stirrups. "Emerald Razor Charge Attack!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure how to edit the map, but on his initiative he enters Punishing Stance, +1d6 damage but -2 AC, and charges the centipede at the entrance for Power Attack 5, (1d20+11)[31] reach 10 vs. touch, (1d8+10)[15]x2

Spoiler
    Show
    And that'd be a 20. [roll]1d20+11[/roll] to confirm, and forgot to add [roll]1d6[/roll] for Punishing Stance. Now I really gotta go to work.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2009-02-23 at 04:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

BlueWizardGirl

((So that's 15 x 3 (x2 lance charge, x2 crit) +6 (Punishing Stance) damage for 51 total!))

The good Captain deals a grievous blow to the mighty centipede blocking the gate, but the monstrous creature's sheer size allows it to strike first!

AoO:

Att: (1d20+11)[16]
    Dam: (2d8+9)[21]
    Poison: Fort DC 17, (1d8)[2] Dex
    Last edited by Ascension; 2009-02-23 at 05:49 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikola

Nikola glances at Captain Mer'kah. I'm Going to kill the Big one. It would be helpful if you kept the other one's distracted. And without further ado, Nikola sprang off his horse in a burst of Green Light, his Costume replacing his normal clothes in a pop and a bang. Ion shot towards the town in a flash.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action to Manifest Psionic Fly, and then a move action to fly 20 feet up and 20 feet across.

14. - Top - End - #104

El Carmesi
    HP: 63/63
    AC: 28
    Attack Bonus: +16/+8/+8/+8/+8
    Damage: 1d6+3/1d6+3/1d3+3/1d3+3/1d3+3

As Cassio approached the centipedes, El Carmesi leapt off from his horse, and running towards the centipede. Fortunately or not, he would be out of range for a while yet.

"Keep moving!" he called, as he leapt off and moved up towards the gargantuan insect, bracing himself for attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dunno how to edit, but:

Move Action: El C jumps off and runs to M18.
    Standard Action: El C, unable to attack this turn, casts Fist of Stone.
    Swift Action: El C switches into Stonefoot Stance, which will provide him with +2 Attack and +2 AC vs all larger opponents. His AC improves to 34.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-24 at 12:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Ares
    Ares runs at break at break neck pace towards the larger Centipede.
    "Good idea Mer'kah. You distract the lesser crunchies by looking edible. If they begin to ignore you try seasoning your saddleboy. Bards are delicious."
    With this he vaults the rubble and continues his charge.
    Jump (d20+18)[29]
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take any AOO I provoke and I'll move on the grid after I roll to see how much terrain I avoid.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

BlueWizardGirl

CORRECTION:

Captain Mer'kah slays the giant centipede in one awe-inspiring blow!
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

El Carmesi
    AC: 28

"Hold up, Senor Mer'kah! Don't charge ahead with-"

He paused and watched as Thokk ran right past him, vaulting the dead centipede and charged right past.

"out the rest of us. Okay, just wait up so I can catch a lift."
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-24 at 05:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Dusk...STRANGEFATE

The warlock allows the horse its head as the others charge forward.
    "From the deepest grotto, Out from Hell's Gate, By the Eye of Agamotto, I am...Strangefate!"

As the horse runs, the greatcoat flapping behind the man lengthens to an impossible degree and gains a blood-red color. Gold filligree trims the edges of the coat. The collar flips up and lengthens as well. Physically, the golden flecks within hazel eyes seem to flare and cause the eyes to almost glow with a golden light. Above the ears, the auburn hair fades to a silvery hue, nearly matching the sickle and mace on the man's belt.

"By Heaven's Holy Sheen, Let me now Walk Unseen!" He intones before fading from view.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

19. - Top - End - #109

BlueWizardGirl

The largest centipede skitters up to a nearby building. The many-legged behemoth draws itself up, half-climbing the structure, and begins probing it with its massive mandibles. One of the scorpions lingers nearby, almost like a bodyguard, while the other amazing arachnid scurries toward the breach in the wall where you have slain the gatekeeper.

Those who have yet to act for this round, please post now.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Elsa

Elsa whispers into steepled hands, as if stoking a fire reduced to embers with her breath. A scarlet glow begins to coalesce between her palms, a dancing light that seems almost alive. As she whispers more and more of her incantation, the scarlet aura grows from the size of a spark to a hand-sized orb of fire, dancing at her fingertips.

"Glimmerspark, glimmerspark, bring me what's mine" she instructs the inchoate spell, before striking it with two fingers, banishing the light. But as the scarlet anima of her spell dissipates, it reforms across the battlefield, assembling itself in the illusory form of what Elsa would imagine would be a monstrous centipede's favorite meal. It is a truly behemoth bovine, a massive cow bleating loudly in pain, its legs hamstrung. Massive wounds gouge its sides, and the authentic smell of cow's blood wafts up from them. With luck, Elsa should be able to use her bovine figment to lure the centipede within range of her magics.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Moving four squares forward and using anyspell to cast major image and using metamagic lore to heighten it. The illusion looks like, sounds like, and smells like a giant, wounded cow, and has a Will DC to disbelieve of 18, plus whatever I get from heightening it (as far as I can tell, vermin are still just as vulnerable to figments as anything else, since they're not mind-affecting).

Spellcraft for Anyspell (DC 26)
    (1d20+23)[40]

Spellcraft for Metamagic Lore (+1 to the spell's DC if I make a DC 20 check)
    (1d20+23)[33]
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

21. - Top - End - #111

BlueWizardGirl

With the horrible sound of a billion tiny legs advancing inexorably across stone the centipede swarms move forward. God! Their quick-step would drown out the most torrential downpour! As the massed arthropods move forward they leave bare bones in their wake. With cannibalistic disregard for their monstrous cousin a group of them spreads over the corpse of the centipede slain by Cap.

One legion of centipedes engulfs Ares!

Damage! (2d6)[10]

Poison! (1d4)[1] Dex damage! DC 13 Fort Save!

DC 13 Fort Save vs. nausea!

Ares may make an attack of opportunity! Not that it will probably be effective!

Not all of the swarms move toward the party, and none move toward Elsa's cow, their simple instincts being incapable of recognizing anything so large as prey. The rest swarm over the buildings, searching for surviving university students and discarded pizza rolls and games of beer pong and other suitable prey.

The spiders' attention is divided. Two make a beespiderline for Elsa's cow, two head in the general direction of the wall. The spider already perched atop the wall leaps gracefully down to the ground* beside the good Captain. Silk explodes from its spinnerets, possibly entangling the Captain's mount!

((*Fluffwise, that is. It actually just climbs down the wall. But this sounds cooler.))

Ranged Touch! (1d20+6)[22]

If that hits, your noble steed is entangled! The web's Break DC is 24, Escape Artist is DC 20.

((Now I want Actions from Strange, Ion, and Cap and Saving Throws from Ares.))
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus

Seeing the spinnarets shooting at his steed, the Captain pulls hard to the right on the reins. "Dodge it, Cervus!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Still on the spider's turn, Ride Check to avoid the attack: (1d20+13)[29]. Will continue Capt's action after the roll.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Marcus and Cassio

Marcus' command and his horse's reflexes proved to be the faster as they leaned just out of reach of the spider's webslinging.

"All right Carmesi let's squash this bug. And Scarlet, try to sweep away those swarms!"

The Captain prods his steed to take a heavy ((5-foot)) step forward and then jabs the overgrown vermin twice in quick succession.

Spoiler
    Show
    No Power Attack this time. (1d20+14)[34] for (1d8+4)[8] + (1d6)[3], and (1d20+9)[24] for (1d8+4)[11] + (1d6)[6].

At the same time, Scout moves up beside the Scarlet Witch at an easy gait, and still orating, "...or how the Hawk-Eyed Knight slew seven spiders with one well-placed...", draws his shortbow and takes a potshot at the awful arachnid.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[7] for (1d6)[4]. I guess Skirmish doesn't work when mounted, which seems weird to me but oh well.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2009-02-27 at 03:57 PM. Reason: alliterative fun

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Ares
    Thokk screams in joy as he lays about him with the Sword of Ares for the first time.
    "It tickles you bastards! Vermin may not harm a god!"
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude save (1d20+9)[26]
    Attack of Opportunity(Power Attack for 5)
    Attack (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage (2d6+21)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

BlueWizardGirl

Both of Marcus Verminslayer's strikes hit home, wounding the massive spider. Beng a fantasyland spider, it screeches in pain.

Ares flails uselessly in the midst of the swarm. His attempt at attack may squash a couple of centipedes, but the damage is nothing in comparison with the size of the swarm.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2009-02-27 at 02:40 PM.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

El Carmesi
    AC: 33
    Effects: Inspire Courage (Active), Fist of Stone (69 rounds), Stonefoot Stance (Active)

"Hey, spider!" called El Carmesi, running at the spider as it turned its head. It had only a second to contemplate the alarmingly solid looking foot before it was introduced to a Swinging Log Kick!

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Tumble to K20 (DC 15 vs +15 Mod, Auto-pass)
    Swift Action: Restart Stonefoot Stance (ended due to movement)
    Standard Action: Soaring Raptor Strike

Jump - (1d20+13)[20]
    Attack - (1d20+15)[34] - Combat Expertise for 5 AC
    Damage - (7d6+3)[19]
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-02-27 at 07:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Nikola

Nikola flies on, determined to slay the giant centepede.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double Move action to fly 120 feet. Still not even close to it.
    Also, I'm 20 feet up, keep in mind.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Ares

"This battle's not fit for a warrior and best left to a mage. Onward to worthier and more easily slain foes. "
    With a cry Thokk speeds his way down field, whooping in anticipation of cracked carapace, and splintered chitin.
    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Run action to move 32 squares.
    Last edited by Obscurejones; 2009-02-28 at 10:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

BlueWizardGirl

((I forgot to make it clear... Would the rest of the Avengers please post actions now? From this point forward all of you will be acting together in one phase and all the enemies will be similarly grouped, just for convenience's sake. Also, starting with next round I'll be implementing the three-day upper limit on round length, so get those actions in quickly when your phase comes up.))
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

DruidGuy

Pietro dashes toward the giant centipede, trying to get it within the range of his web.

(Run 32 feet. I edited the map)