New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

confused This is ridiculous, but...

... can priests get MARRIED?
    I mean, in the OoTS world. I know, I know, the most ridiculous first-thread to start but... still, I have frankly no idea. I'm not very religious, y'see? and I always kind of asumed that nope, they couldn't.

This is because of the statement made by Zit Boy(IIRC) on panel 7:. He says, and I quote, "My dad is, like, the priest of this demon prince guy." So I started wondering. Can priests here get married, or is it just my imagination?
    And I'm starting a thread because i'd rather have a discuccion about it on a fresh thread, if it merits any discussion, and because I *know* that if I don't talk about it I'll spend the whole night thinking if goblin priests... no! best not to dwell on that!

So... could you be so nice as to tell me your (probably woser than mine) opinion? Or just throw me slowly to the volcano. Even though I don't know how you can throw someone to a volcano slowly.
    An eye for an eye will make us all blind - Mahatma Ghandi.
    Technically, Fire is a chemical process, wherein Oxygen, a fuel, and heat trigger a quick, heat-releasing oxidative reaction that produces carbon dioxide and water vapor. This process is called Combustion. They're not called Combustionals, you know?
    Also Water is a molecule, Air is a bunch of different molecules, and don't let me get started on Earth.
    (Sorry, I'm a Chemist, can't resist.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: This is ridiculous, but...

Why couldn't they? Seeing Durkon+Hilgya, we know they don't take vows of chastity. I know in this world they can!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NamonakiRei View Post
    "My dad is, like, the priest of this demon prince guy." So I started wondering. Can priests here get married, or is it just my imagination?
    Well, the comic seems to answer your question: yes they can. It probably depends on the Religious Order (remember, religions and deities are a dime a dozen in D and D) and the personal tastes of the priest/priestess. This particular demon prince apparently has no problem with his servants spawning new potential servants of Evil.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

im going to assume from the question that you are catholic.

well, in a lot of religions there isnt any taboo on married clergy, and in some cases (baptist), it is easier to become a member of the clergy if you are married.

btw, where are you from?
    sometimes you just want to play something completely overpowered and kill things, other times you want to play a bard with a point-buy 18...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

In many cultures priests can get married. It depends on the religion. For example, Julius Caesar was the ancient roman version of high priest (pontifex maximus) and he was married.

In Order of the Stick, there are likely many religions where priests and priestesses can get married and perhaps some where they must be celibate.

6. - Top - End - #6

Protestant preachers can marry, even though Catholic priests cannot. So, there is no universal law among religions that says that clerics cannot marry in the real world, much less in fantasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
    Thanks to Bisected8 for the avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7

Wow. That's... many replys, to me at least!

Well, thank you all for answering, now I can sleep quietly not wondering if... well, not wondering!

I hadn't realized the vows of chastity thing, though Hope that doesen't get me thinking...
    I didn't know Caesar was an equivalent to high priest. Huh. You lean new stuff every day, I guess. Thank you!

Also:
    im going to assume from the question that you are catholic.
    Not really. I'm christian, but not entierly chatolic. I didn't make it through my second year of preparation for the first comunion...(called like that in English, I wonder?). Though my whole family is catholic, so I fell that with a bit more ranks in knowledge(Religion) I wouldn't be asking this...*BTW, I'm from[google it]. Huh? why does it say "google it"? I wrote[Google it] ... Oh, well, I guess I can't help it XD
    Technically, Fire is a chemical process, wherein Oxygen, a fuel, and heat trigger a quick, heat-releasing oxidative reaction that produces carbon dioxide and water vapor. This process is called Combustion. They're not called Combustionals, you know?
    Also Water is a molecule, Air is a bunch of different molecules, and don't let me get started on Earth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

We've seen a few examples pointing to "yes", but it probibley depends on Diety. Thor, ummmmm.... we seen that he loves (mature content withheld)... babymaking... so I don't think he would want to force his followers to give this up...
    Loki is evil, so screw all pre-conceptions. I think he is also caotic, but I could be wrong...

Evil goblin... Evil?

Sorry about the spelling, I know it sucks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by NamonakiRei View Post
    Though my whole family is catholic
    If your whole family is catholic, then isn't it very likely that you were baptized at birth?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Please don't bring real-world religion into this discussion, I think it violates the forum rules.

So anyway... looking into the structure of the gods in the comic, there could be codes of conduct depending on the deity. You can guess the results.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

11. - Top - End - #11

Typically pagan priests are allowed to, if not expected to marry, (with some exceptions, usually female. The Vestial Virgins come to mind) and Rabbi are required to be married. You have to remember that in a number of these traditions (especially Judaism) the religious leader is expected to be a family man. Someone with ties to the community.

Look at it this way: To use the Rabbi as an example, the community that he's the spiritual teacher for suddenly becomes the community his children will grow up in.

'The welfare of the community' just got a whole lot less academic to him.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Basically, if the Eastern Gods weren't slaughtered, then likely the priestesses (I don't think she'd field priests) of Artemis would be required to chaste. Otherwise, I don't think any of the other gods or demon lords have any compulsions against having families. Maybe a psycho god of destruction (like Surtur) would disapprove of his priests marrying, but that's more due to his philosophy is about ending the world, not continuing it.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Weber View Post
    Rabbi are required to be married.
    No. That is not correct.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Basically, if the Eastern Gods weren't slaughtered, then likely the priestesses (I don't think she'd field priests) of Artemis would be required to chaste. Otherwise, I don't think any of the other gods or demon lords have any compulsions against having families. Maybe a psycho god of destruction (like Surtur) would disapprove of his priests marrying, but that's more due to his philosophy is about ending the world, not continuing it.
    For that matter, Aphrodite's priests and priestesses would be required to not be chaste, and likely not celibate either. Hera, as a goddess of the household, might also very easily require marriage of her clergy. For the surviving deities, Inanna would be one of the western powers, and her clergy would be much like Aphrodite's. (Inanna and her Babylonian incarnation Ishtar both had temple prostitution as part of their worship.) As far as the northern powers are concerned, Frigga might require marriage, (hearth and family were her thing) and Freya and her brother Freyr would be unlikely to expect their followers to be either celibate or chaste. (Both were love/sex deities.)

** edit **

Quote Originally Posted by quick comment
    No. That is not correct.
    Traditionally it is. Even in modern Reform there's a social expectation that a Rabbi will marry, although the requirement has been relaxed a bit.
    Last edited by Corwin Weber; 2009-02-27 at 02:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah... I'm pretty sure that the majority of religions, actually, allow or even expect thier priests to marry.

16. - Top - End - #16

I don't want to bring real religious discussion into it because of forum rules, but take a gander at some medieval history classes in a local college. You might learn some interesting things.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler
    Show
    If your whole family is catholic, then isn't it very likely that you were baptized at birth?
    Yea, but I haven't done any other of those seven sacraments, not the comunion, nor the confirmation, so I ain't catholic. Spoilered because... I think someone said discussing religion was agains the rules?

I don't want to bring real religious discussion into it because of forum rules, but take a gander at some medieval history classes in a local college. You might learn some interesting things.
    Local college? What local college? Heck, we don't even have a[good] library here! Even though it's a regional capital and all... If we had, I'd probably do that...

Well, now I've got things clear (And really, I COULD use some religion classes, there's so much I didn't know...)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yes, they can. Ancient Egyptian priests, for example, were free to marry, and frequently married priestesses of the same (or, in some cases, a different) divinity.

Eastern Orthodox priests can marry within 2 years of ordination, if I recall correctly.

And Catholic priests frequently married until one of the Gregories changed it so that they couldn't, sometime around 1000 A.D. -- although I forget which one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Real world religions are an inappropriate topic on this board.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex