The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Feat] Toy with things you little understand

A new feat idea (that actually has a very specific purpose in mind, ie making a Swashbuckler in Eberron capable of becoming a Windwright Captain with only a single cross-class level into Wizard or Sorceror at a sensible level).

Toy with things you little understand:
    Requirements: Int 13, Chr 13
    Character gains Use Magic Device as a class skill and has a +1 to Use Magic Device checks

Is this balanced? I'm particularly cautious about not making it overpowered, since I'd have to run it by a DM to make my idea work.

Paddy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: [Feat] Toy with things you little understand

Not sure, but I think just having it as Use Magic Device as a class skill would be balanced. The +1 stacks with skill focus, which is bad.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hey, look what I can do, Roy!"
    "Elan, put down V's mag--"
    *end of plane*
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I know there's a feat somewhere that just gives you any skill as a class skill all the time, no prerequisites. Just can't remember where it was.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There is (Able Learner, from Races of Destiny), but it's humans or dopplegangers only, and the prestige class I was looking at is half-elves only.

The only "legitimate" way to get Use Magic Device as a "class" skill for a swashbuckler would be to take a level in half-elf paragon followed by a level in human paragon. Not sure if my DM would smile on this, though, and it wouldn't factor in until level 3 at least, quite apart from making for a messy build.

Oh, and I'd like to think Elan would fall down on the Int 13 requirement (much as the idea amuses me), so we can all breathe a sigh of relief on that front :).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

A single level of Human Paragon can let you choose any skill as a class skill.

Incidentally, it also gives a bonus feat at second level, and +2 to an ability score of choice at third level. And you can choose any 10 skills as class skills, which is nice.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton
    A single level of Human Paragon can let you choose any skill as a class skill.

Incidentally, it also gives a bonus feat at second level, and +2 to an ability score of choice at third level. And you can choose any 10 skills as class skills, which is nice.
    However, as with Able Learner, it's humans only.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

However, as with Able Learner, it's humans only.
    Indeed, which is why I originally stipulated a level of half-elf paragon followed by human paragon (there's a class ability of the level one half-elf paragons that allows them to also take levels in either human paragon or elf paragon). *

Here's how it would work:

Level one Swashbuckler - take maxed profession(sailor), climb and balance, but only need 1 cross-class rank in use magic device
    Level two Half-elf paragon
    Level three Human paragon (enabled by half-elf paragon and allows me to select one skill as an "adaptive" class skill - ie that always counts as a class skill)
    Further three levels of swashbuckler plus a level of wizard or sorcerer. *At some point along the way I'd be investing a couple of feats in Mark of Storm.
    Level 8 - windwright captain!
    Level 9 - obtain life's dream (windwright of very own).

I've got a whole background in mind for this character, but don't think it's necessary to post it here (my favourite part is Quirk: Dreams of flight, which was the original inspiration for the build, and almost led to my planning a route to Sharn Skymage). *Going to have to run the build by the DM, though, and I really don't know his views on racial paragon levels. *Also, I'm starting at level one, and have never before planned this many levels ahead for a character, but never mind.

Paddy

Edit: DM nixed it. Looks like I'll be roleplaying a Rogue ::)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

there is also jack of all trades from complete adventurer, that lets you useany skill as if you had a half rank in it
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!