New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default hello! no lets have fun optimaizing a raptorian

hello everyone im new here thanks to my pals, first off all i will apology cause inglish is not my first lenguage but im shure youll have no problem with it.

i have been playing DnD for more than a year, our campaing is about to end soon and i want to be redy with a fresh new original character after we finish it using every complete 3.5 book and race books, BUT NOT TOME OF BATTLE PLEASE!

ai dream with a 2 lance* wielder raptorian ranger aiming for the stormtalon prestige class, think it wold work? i think ill be fine with dive by attack and two-weapon punce...

i call it like that but it would be a pair of short-spears

if you want to know me better, actually im playing a:

Swashbuckler1/Monk1/Sorcerer4/Enligtened fist3/Swiftblade...
    and im wielding the weapon of legacy known as the desert wind
    Last edited by pilvento; 2009-12-14 at 07:17 PM.
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: hello! no lets have fun optimaizing a raptorian

If you use Wizard instead of sorcerer, then you can key all your abilities off of Intelligence. Get Carmendine Monk or Kung-fu Genius for your monk abilities, and your spellcasting and Insightful Strike are already there. You'll also have more skill points and gain your spells faster.

3. - Top - End - #3

Just an FYI: Lance is a two handed weapon when not mounted. And its X2 damage on a charge also only applies while mounted. So you might want to look into other weapons.

The Stormtalon class is a slightly better fighter class but doesn't give you many options aside from having an extra attack. So you can do just about anything, with your major advantages being a single extra attack, high flight speed, and extra feats.

Some things I have always found interesting with flight is grapple checks, and flying your enemy into the air. Otherwise your extra attack can be more efficient with some precision based damage.

Lion Spiritual Totem* Variant** Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Rogue3/Stormtalon#
    *Variant is in complete Champion to gain pounce in place of fast movement
    **Variant in Unearthed Arcana/SRD, replace rage for archery combat style of ranger and favored enemy (not a huge difference, but if your in the air and the enemy has no ranged attacks you will have a decent advantage)

Feats:
    You can go pretty much anywhere with feats. TWFing tree, neraph's charge (planar handbook), shocktrooper, flyby attack (you can grapple someone and continue your move into the air). You can do pretty much anything, but it's pretty vanilla in the terms of a warrior.

EDIT: I just had an interesting idea. A level of soul eater for an aerial grappler build would be pretty nifty. Your high flight speed can be used to get the enemy high into the air, while you drain levels.
    Last edited by Animefunkmaster; 2009-12-14 at 01:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pilvento View Post
    BUT NOT TOME OF BATTLE PLEASE!
    Your poor taste is poor ... but whatever floats your boat.
    ai dream with a 2 lance wielder raptorian ranger aiming for the stormtalon prestige class, think it wold work? i think ill be fine with dive by attack and two-weapon punce...
    Apart from being 2 handed weapons Fly By Attack unfortunately does not count as a charge unlike Ride by Attack ... so no, not really.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-12-14 at 01:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkysBrain View Post
    Your poor taste is poor
    WTF!?. i dont get it sry
    Last edited by pilvento; 2009-12-14 at 02:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

review the dive mechanic and look up the Ubercharger....
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

7. - Top - End - #7

so i can use the lionpounce or the two weapon pounce while diving, but i must stop there, i cant dive by attack... am i right?

also, i said it wrong, they wouldnt be lances, i can wield short spears in both hands

8. - Top - End - #8

Apart from being 2 handed weapons Fly By Attack unfortunately does not count as a charge unlike Ride by Attack ... so no, not really.
    Actually you can:

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Flyby Attack [General]
    Prerequisite

Fly speed.
    Benefit

When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A creature that flies can make dive attacks.A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    If you use Wizard instead of sorcerer, then you can key all your abilities off of Intelligence. Get Carmendine Monk or Kung-fu Genius for your monk abilities, and your spellcasting and Insightful Strike are already there. You'll also have more skill points and gain your spells faster.
    i just love to be a sorcerer and be the face of the party and swashbuckler is an escuse to piss off my DM
    Last edited by pilvento; 2009-12-15 at 10:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BUT NOT TOME OF BATTLE PLEASE!
    Your poor taste is poor ... but whatever floats your boat.
    WTF!?. i dont get it sry
    Pretty much saying ToB is a great book and you will most likely find a good option there for whatever martial build you are trying to make.. If it is due to "ToB is Overpowered!" opinion, then know it is not.. But this is not the thread for that..

Also, doing stuff just to piss of your DM, not cool
    Last edited by Sliver; 2009-12-14 at 02:09 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

ToB maybe is not overpowered... MAYBE

maneuvers & stances are a bit too much.
    i mean, some of them provide you with abilities that only a feat could provide... so... tolerate people whos out there who hates or dont approve ToB.

"you poor taste is poor"? really... wtf.

on the other hand, watch out for subject change.
    He wants help with his raptorian character, not his evi...good swashbuckler.
    Last edited by Loki Eremes; 2009-12-14 at 02:17 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =
    Gear of the Universe // D&D Steampunk campaing setting.

...You´re not afraid of the dark, are you?

" Self Defense !!! " - A sneaking Drow.

- Infinite Blades Technique:
    ...One Thousand Cuts -

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Animefunkmaster View Post
    Actually you can:
    Hmmm I forgot about that, I stand corrected. Fly by attack gives you a charge AND a standard action during the charge ... been a while since I saw that one come up.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-12-14 at 02:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

maneuvers & stances are a bit too much.
    i mean, some of them provide you with abilities that only a feat could provide... so... tolerate people whos out there who hates or dont approve ToB.
    Yeah, silly people for thinking that heroic martial characters might be able to do anything. They should be sticking to their 20ft speed platemail, standing there swinging for +2 with one weapon and dying, while the Clerics become Avatar's of Gods and Sorcerers create pocket dimensions full of Pokemon and bat crap for their middle-fingers to reality.

In response to the OP, though; why Swashbuckler? If you're using a lance, you won't be using Dexterity. And if you could, why one level dip? If you're going Swashbuckler, it's generally better to see it through to third for Insightful Strike.

And also, if Tomb of Battle isn't being used/not allowed, why are you using Desert Wind's legacy sword? You know, that martial style from Tome of Battle?
    Last edited by Ryumaru; 2009-12-14 at 02:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Hmmm I forgot about that, I stand corrected. Fly by attack gives you a charge AND a standard action during the charge ... been a while since I saw that one come up.
    OH YEAH, we are back on the subject!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Eremes View Post
    He wants help with his raptorian character, not his evi...good swashbuckler.
    you sound just like a rouge in my party, he is a drow also so...

WTF! loki its you! stay away from me sneak attack adicct!
    dipliomaci diplomaci!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumaru View Post
    Yeah, silly people for thinking that heroic martial characters might be able to do anything. They should be sticking to their 20ft speed platemail, standing there swinging for +2 with one weapon and dying, while the Clerics become Avatar's of Gods and Sorcerers create pocket dimensions full of Pokemon and bat crap for their middle-fingers to reality.

In response to the OP, though; why Swashbuckler? If you're using a lance, you won't be using Dexterity. And if you could, why one level dip? If you're going Swashbuckler, it's generally better to see it through to third for Insightful Strike.
    2 things.

1- tell that to the ones making the rules. if the basic players handbook were the only manual out there, the "They should be sticking to their 20ft speed platemail, standing there swinging for +2 with one weapon and dying, while the Clerics become Avatar's of Gods and Sorcerers create pocket dimensions full of Pokemon and bat crap for their middle-fingers to reality." would be sadly but true.

2- please, read carefully. the raptorian has NO SWASHBUCKLER LVLS. the "swash/sorcerer/monk/swiftblade" thing is about another character. Nothing to do with his question.
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

17. - Top - End - #17

And also, if Tomb of Battle isn't being used/not allowed, why are you using Desert Wind's legacy sword? You know, that martial style from Tome of Battle?
    the weapon of legacy book is great and my DM wanted to give it a try, i cant find the conection of the weapon and your tome of battle, it only has the same name as the style so in our world it isnt necesary to be playing a tome of battle character

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

How about Lion totem* Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 2/Sneak Attack Thug Fighter Variant* 3/Stormtalon + ?

This way you get to pounce(full attack) while you dive and deal sneak attack damage while also having some skills from the Thug as well as the Barbarian.

For feats you should get Neraph Charge from Planar Handbook, Craven from Heroes of Horror, and Power Attack or Two Weapon Fighting and crew. Neraph charge requires 15 Wis and 5 ranks in Knowledge(the planes) but makes an opponent flatfooted when you charge(or dive) at him, and Craven lets you add your Character level to the damage when you sneak attack. For a weapon you should use a Ripper from Planar Handbook. It's a spear with exaclty the same stats as a greatsword but deals piercing damage, so it works on your dive.

This way on your 6th level your dive looks like this: +6/+6/+1 with the Ripper for 4d6 +2*1.5*STR+2*Character Level + 3d6 Sneak Attack + 4*your penalty on Power Attack and +1 for your Talons for 1d6 +2*0.5*STR + 2*Sneak Attack + 2* your penalty for Power Attack . I didn't add any Str on your attack modifiers nor a +1 for higher ground bonus or magic.
    Not the highest damage you can do by a long shot but still it's pretty good and fitting a Frenzied Sky Warrior.

If you dont have acces to these books you could always go the Shock Trooper root with regular Fighter levels.

* Lion Totem is in Complete Champion and trades your Fast Movent for Pounce.
    ** Thug Sneak Attack Fighter Variant is in Unearthed Arcana or better yet in the http://www.d20srd.org/
    Last edited by D-naras; 2009-12-14 at 02:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

the weapon of legacy book is great and my DM wanted to give it a try, i cant find the conection of the weapon and your tome of battle, it only has the same name as the style so in our world it isnt necesary to be playing a tome of battle character
    Heh, that's very funny.

This particular Weapon of Legacy was one of the inspirations for the Tome of Battle's fluff, and was therefore reprinted in Tome of Battle.

But, since Tome of Battle is so much more popular than Weapons of Legacy, apparently some people have forgotten that the sword originally came from another source.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

1- tell that to the ones making the rules. if the basic players handbook were the only manual out there, the "They should be sticking to their 20ft speed platemail, standing there swinging for +2 with one weapon and dying, while the Clerics become Avatar's of Gods and Sorcerers create pocket dimensions full of Pokemon and bat crap for their middle-fingers to reality." would be sadly but true.
    It would, but the constant QQing of people I see over Tome of Battle because 'OMG they can do something at level 20 that replicates a level 6 arcane spell OPOP!' gets annoying. Fast.

Also...

if you want to know me better, actually im playing a:

Swashbuckler1/Monk1/Sorcerer4/Enligtened fist3/Swiftblade...
    and im wielding the weapon of legacy known as the desert wind
    Looks to me like he's talking about himself.

Is it a scimitar which gives you abilities like setting stuff on fire? Take a peek in the back of Tome of Battle, pg132; Desert Wind is, surprisingly, the Legacy sword of the Desert Wind martial school.

21. - Top - End - #21

thanks, that gived my some place to start, where can i find that fighter variant?

now the only thing left to do would be to convice my DM im a birdman who have a lion as an spiritual guide

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

Actually Desert Wind was the name for a Legacy Weapon before it became a discipline in ToB. I blame the cool Scimitar.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

But, since Tome of Battle is so much more popular than Weapons of Legacy, apparently some people have forgotten that the sword originally came from another source.
    Ah, my mistake then, sorry; found Weapons of Legacy too mechanically backward to really remember much about it or bother to commit it to memory. =P

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

thanks, that gived my some place to start, where can i find that fighter variant?

now the only thing left to do would be to convice my DM im a birdman who have a lion as an spiritual guide
    I editted my post. It's in the SRD check the class variants.

Lots of magical beasts that fly have pounce. Perhaps you could say he has a griffon as a totem instead of a lion, or something. Perhaps a Sphinx. They are cool as well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D-naras View Post
    I editted my post. It's in the SRD check the class variants.

Lots of magical beasts that fly have pounce. Perhaps you could say he has a griffon as a totem instead of a lion, or something. Perhaps a Sphinx. They are cool as well.
    NO NO NO
    I will be his master and i want to see him up there flying masked with a lion's head. period
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

26. - Top - End - #26

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Loki Eremes View Post
    NO NO NO
    I will be his master and i want to see him up there flying masked with a lion's head. period
    ...Actually that sounds awesome...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

...Actually that sounds awesome...
    mmmm a lion headed flying..thing, awesome indeed xD
    Townfolks will love him xDD
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

Well he is supposed to be a feral flying barbarian. I don't know if me, as a commoner, would love seeing him in my town, but i would surely be taking interest on the flying hercules.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Well he is supposed to be a feral flying barbarian. I don't know if me, as a commoner, would love seeing him in my town, but i would surely be taking interest on the flying hercules.

barbarian raptorian on one side and a good half drow cleric on the other one.
    priceless party.
    Spoiler
    Show
    2012? =

...One Thousand Cuts -

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway .... so a barbarian/scout/ranger swift hunter build with a Storm Talon dip for the talons? (You get a lot more out of this than taking Storm Talon to completion). You get bonus damage from swift hunter and Diving Charge feat making TWF worth it ... rapiers are good weapons for a dive (double damage with piercing weapons) though shortspears are closer to your original concept.

Draconomicon has some flight improving magic items (unfortunately the spells which do it aren't on the ranger spell list).

Some way of getting small would be handy too, to make it easier to fly around in dungeons.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-12-14 at 03:25 PM.