New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

MonkGuy

Default What are some of the best scenes of Rorschach in Watchmen

Basically, I made this Rorschach mask for one my art classes and the teacher suggested as part two of the assignment I do a performance. I just need to decide which scenes in Watchmen to act out. Keep in mind I'd have to make scenery/costumes for some. Here's some ideas:

The scene where Rorschach walks into the bar and brakes a guy fingers to find out who killed the Comedian. I like this because (a) I wouldn't need to make any more props/costumes and (b) I can improvise it. Just walk into class grab one of my friend's hand and say "I just broke this man's middle finger. Who killed Edward Blake? No? *snap* Index finger." One problem is that I can't do the next three scenes also it's too short to be a presentation. Just going around snapping fingers.

These three would would together a series:

The scene where Rorschach jumps out a window fleeing from the cops and is caught. I'd have to do a lot of work: make a fake window out of cardboard, fake guns for the cops. Not to mention find a way to prop it up and run through it. I'd then the transition to...

The scene where Rorschach is in jail and is talking with Malcolm Long. I'd like this scene for several reasons:
    1. Lets the audience see the brutal side of Rorschach.
    2. Gives the people I recruit time to set up for the next scene.
    3. No real preparations needed: just a ink blot test. I could even write Malcolm's dialogue on the back so whoever I get to play him would need to practice.
    There are only two problems with this. I don't know anyone that looks like the psychiatrist, and I'd have to dye my hair red and shave my beard, both of which I am not fond of (although I'd technically have to do these for the previous and next scenes). The final skit would be...

At the end of Watchmen when Rorschach is killed. Ozymandias tells the heroes his plan, Rorschach leaves, and then is nuked by Dr. Manhattan. A couple of problems with this: finding TVs like Adrian had at his base. I could just video a bunch of my friends giving fake new broadcasts and splice them all together. I'd only really have to make Veidt's costume. Dr. Manhattan's would just be my one tall friend painted blue in a speedo, I'd have my trench coat, hat, and mask, and I would have Nite Owl or Silk Spetre in this part because I'd only really be getting killed.

So there's my ideas. Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What are some of the best scenes of Rorschach in Watchmen

I think that the bar scene is the most realistic objective. It involves a few people, the mask, does not require extreme skill to pull off (hidden popsicle sticks that are broken for sound or something), AND doesn't have anything overly violent or objectable.

Now, I have only read the book, not the movie, and I don't know if that would change your plans.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd go with the ink-blot scenes, multiple, though I don't know how you'll show Rorshach's thoughts, which are crucial to the first scene. ("A pretty butterfly," heheheh.) Try to underscore the battle of wills - how the psychologist is trying to get into R's head but is being driven out of his own instead.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

^That calls for the no mask, red hair, and psychiatrist.

The scenes prior to the finger breaking are crazy monologuing, right? That could work. No special effects, just a big bucket of crazy.

I have to ask, what class is this for? And it the teacher familiar with the material?
    Johann Krauss by Recaiden
    Spoiler
    Show
    morbidwombat (9:40:07 PM): I am not a sandwich, nor a mode of transport!
    blackomen341 (9:40:18 PM): Then what are you?!?!
    morbidwombat (9:40:35 PM): I...I have no idea.
    morbidwombat (9:40:45 PM): <.<
    morbidwombat (9:40:49 PM): >.>
    morbidwombat (9:40:58 PM): *Has existential dilemma*

Not-Edible itP!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I'd go with the ink-blot scenes, multiple, though I don't know how you'll show Rorshach's thoughts, which are crucial to the first scene. ("A pretty butterfly," heheheh.) Try to underscore the battle of wills - how the psychologist is trying to get into R's head but is being driven out of his own instead.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first scene in the chapter. It be after the part he lies and says it's a pretty butterfly. The second time he sees the ink blot:

Rorschach: [examining the same inkblot test, the second time, and answering honestly] Dog. Dog with head split in half.
    Dr. Long: And, uh. What do you think split the dog's head. In half.
    Rorschach: I did.

I haven't read Watchmen in awhile, but if my memory is correct, Rorschach then goes on to talk about the kidnapped girl and splitting the dog's head in half. (sorry if this isn't how it happened in the book) I'll reread it soon and I'm going to the midnight showing this Thursday so I'll have the facts straight.

One other thing that would be cool, though I'm pretty sure I couldn't do - I have no idea how I could - would be the scene where Big Figure tries to get revenge on Rorschach and he proceeds to drown him in the toilet. I laughed out loud the first time I read that part.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The scene with Malcolm Long is probably my favorite. If you're in a rush, the opening monologue would also work pretty well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show