New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I need to make my computer better, faster, harder, stronger... Without the money

So, as some of you may have heard by now, I just bought Splinter Cell: Double Agent on Steam. (I'm broke as ****, so even doing that was costly.) Finally got everything downloaded, and all the updates updated, when, wouldn't you know it? The game won't friggin' open. So I go to the Steam forums, start a thread and ask for help.
    Didn't turn out very well.

Evidently, in order to play a ten dollar game, I need to spend a thousand dollars on a new computer.
    Yeah. Sure.
    I may be a die-hard Splinter Cell fangirl, but I just don't have that kind of money.

So, I figure, what the hey. You people are smart. You may know some nifty tricks I can do to trick the game into thinking my computer is good enough to run it, without actually spending any money.
    Or, if need be, a little money. I might be able to beg Mom into buying some twenty-dollar gadget, but honestly, I wouldn't bet on it happening.

And like I said, even ten dollars was a lot for me. Being a poor nerd sucks. I'll be a very grumpy Moon Called if that ten dollars went to a program that will sit around and do nothing but slow down my computer.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2009-02-28 at 06:55 PM.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: I need to make my computer better, faster, harder, stronger... Without the money

I can't help you Moon (Sorry ) but to avoid making the same mistake again on PC games use this website

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Tells you if your PC can run any game
    Last edited by Mc. Lovin'; 2009-02-28 at 08:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: I need to make my computer better, faster, harder, stronger... Without the money

Great website Apelord.

I wish I'd known about it 2 hours ago before I bought Guitar Hero for PC
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

oh, that stings.

there's very little you can do. but that 1k machine will work a long time, and then you can just swap out individual parts.

if you are absolutely hell bent on making your machine work, you could theoretically buy a bare minimum graphics card ($75 maybe) and readyboost (if you use vista) to force it.
    but i will take no part in creating such an abomination.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

5. - Top - End - #5

So that's it?

There isn't anything I can do?
    I mean, the video card may work... If I can get my hands on $75.
    *loud cursing goes here*
    Oh well. I spent the money and I doubt Steam will refund it. Might as well try reinstalling the game and following all the steps. I mean, I can run Half Life 2, and that game's a lot newer than Double Agent.

Thanks, for the link, Apelord.

*sighs*
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    So that's it?

There isn't anything I can do?
    I mean, the video card may work... If I can get my hands on $75.
    *loud cursing goes here*
    Oh well. I spent the money and I doubt Steam will refund it. Might as well try reinstalling the game and following all the steps. I mean, I can run Half Life 2, and that game's a lot newer than Double Agent.

Thanks, for the link, Apelord.

*sighs*
    Pretty much.

It used to be that you could at least return a game. Now not even the brick and mortar stores will take a game back. You can't even resell games you get from Steam...

Let the industry die. Support DRM free games. Buy nothing without a demo.

Edit: Apelord, that website strikes me as extremely suspicious.
    Last edited by RS14; 2009-02-28 at 10:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Okay, after a brief discusion with Mom, I'm feeling a bit better about this.
    We've been talking about getting me my own computer for a year now. This may just be the catylist I need to get started.

I'm looking through E-Bay right now. Making my own computer is an appealing concept, but I have no idea what's inside the CPU, so I have no idea what to /do/. Feel free to list a bunch of parts that I'll need, but I can garuntee I'll have no clue what you're talking about.
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Random person on Steam
    yeh because my computer OC E8400 crossfire HD4850 runs it at avg of 80fps and drops to 30 sometimes
    so you will need a new computer and minimum is a P4 at 3.0GHz,1gb ram,DX9.0c shade model 3 just to run
    might as well be instructions on how to reach Warp Ten more efficiantly for all I know.

In short?
    Halp.

For now, though, I think I'll take a look on ebay and see if I can find anything.

Edit: Oh, yeah. You guys rock, and any help I can get will make me very happy.
    Like, draw your character happy.
    >>
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2009-02-28 at 11:10 PM.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Building your own computer can potentially save you a fair bit of money and it's really satisfying to do your time-wasting on something you put together with your own hands, but I wouldn't recommend it for you unless you're willing to put some time into educating yourself on the components and especially on shopping for the best deals. OEM manufacturers can get better deals on lower-end parts than you ever will be able to, so it takes really savvy shopping to beat their prices for builds under the 5-600 range. For your situation, the best option is probably to dig up a good deal on a decent desktop (Nvidia or ATI-based graphics preferred, if you can't afford a discrete card immediately) and then put a new 70-100$ video card in it as budget allows. Maybe something like this Lenovo paired with one of the graphics cards under discussion in http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105971. Buy the computer locally, if you have any shops around you can trust to give you a fair price; shipping for a computer runs about $30. Buy video cards online; the prices are almost always tens of dollars cheaper, and free shipping deals are common.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

i'm not much of a computer genius myself but there are a few things you need to look at when buying a computer

Is it going to be a desktop or laptop. If laptop, you'll probably need to shell out more moeny, but I don't think you're going this route from your posts.

Now that we decided on a desktop, what kind of desktop? Gaming, video, pictures, all-around? Choosing a specific category may just help you find what you're are looking for. Gaming desktops do tend to be more expensive though for the reasons listed below

graphics card
    processor

to be able to run a game, it must meet a minimum system requirement, which is usually determined by the processing speed of the computer (measured in GHz) My computer has 1.7 GHz processor, which is decent, but its graphics card and RAM suck (only 256 MB of RAM).

Nowadays, RAM is inexpensive to install and you can probably go with 512 RAM or 1024 RAM (the latter being a bit more expensive but not much).

Secondly, the type of graphics card you get can be costly. An excellent graphics card can run up too $200 + but you probably won't ever need to change it again until about 7-10 years down the road, assuming you have it for that long.

Thirdly is the processing speed. This is usually between 1.7 to 4ish if you get a really good one. Standard now seems to be about 2.2 (i think). But the faster processing speed it has, the more money it is going to cost, but as above, if you get a good one, you probably wont need to upgrade it. The other thing processing speed helps with is that it can run many programs at a single moment, which helps if you multitask a lot and have multiple programs open at the same time.

From there, it's mostly brand you like and trust, and searching for a good price with the requirements you want, which should be determined by you ahead of time.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2009-03-01 at 12:53 AM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7 View Post
    Nowadays, RAM is inexpensive to install and you can probably go with 512 RAM or 1024 RAM (the latter being a bit more expensive but not much).
    As a note for RAM i've found the following:

For Vista: Minium: 1GB Ram. For gaming minium 2gb. You really should consider getting 3-4GB if you are a serious gamer and can afford it.

For XP: I had 512 ram for a long time and it was fine. But that wasn't the best machine in the world. Get 1GB if you can afford it. 2 GB if you are a crazy gamer. :p

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised that im the first to suggest this, but to help with your processor speed, you could try overclocking it. This means setting it to run faster than it is supposed to. I only had to increase mine by .02 GHz to get TF2 to run but im not sure about yours. The two main things you'll need are instructions on how to do it, and a screwdriver to get into your tower if you mess up. First thing though. OVERCLOCKING CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER

I can't stress this enough. This will make your processor heat up more than its supposed to and can cause damage and possibly complete failure of the unit (even fire in severe cases) First thing I would reccomend is figuring out how fast it runs normally then making a small change as per any online instructions you find to see how much it increases it by. After that, you only want to speed it up enough to put you over the threshold of being able to run the game.

Once you do that you should be set. If you find out that you need to make a pretty drastic change, you should probably get some additional cooling for your processor. Should you mess up and your computer wont turn back on, there will be instructions on how to do that as well, I reccomend printing these out. Now if you need a BIG boost, like .5 GHz or so, then you're probably better off getting a new processor, instead of risking frying your whole computer.
    The Swallowfield Children - Stredexon Intwisca

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7 View Post
    i'm not much of a computer genius myself but there are a few things you need to look at when buying a computer

*snips*

Hope this helps.
    Basically, I always did when I want to build a computer is:

1.Find out what graphic intensive game that I want to play? I always do that. Then I look at the requirement. My last benchmark was Fallout 3. I'll try to build a computer that can play at least a decent game (not minimum req, not max req).

2.All the mumbo jumbo seemed intimidating at first, but you only need this three thing to know. All other is just

a.Processor. You know, pentium, etc. Nowadays there are two producers, Intel or AMD. AMD is cheaper, I think. How many ghz (that is gigahertz) that the game need? the standard is around 2 ghz now I think.

b.RAM aka memory. this is cheap. look at how many ram the game need? Just buy 2 gb (gigabyte, if you need to know) ram, it will serve for a long run. But even 512 mb ram will do good for most older game.

c.Graphic card. This is the gaming part of your computer. There are A LOT, almost seemed to be unlimited permutation of it. But you only need to know how many megabyte the card hold and it's pixel shader. Buy the cheapest card that serve your need, don't care for the mumbo jumbo.

ps:
    oh, I almost forgot. then, those things will be equipped at the Motherboard. Motherboard is your pc's 'spine'. Everything is put together there. Just ask for the cheapest motherboard that will hold those part you choose together. I mentioned this, because sometimes, there will be a motherboard that isn't compatible with the part you choose.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-03-01 at 05:51 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

How much have you got to spend, moon? My moderatly budgeted pc (about £600, might seem alot, but compared to what it can do its pretty price) can run most modern games on full (only thing ive ever had a problem with was crysis, but that makes alienwares run at 3 fps) as well as never really crashing or anythign annoying like that. If you want, Ill be happy to help you with what you need. Feel free to ask me over msn anytime, Im pretty sure you have mine already anyhow.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Work It Harder Make It Better, Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger

but I have no idea what's inside the CPU,
    do i get kicked if i say "Silicon"?

if i asked for a ballpark figure you are willing to spend would you provide it?

@V wouldn't that interfere with the thermal transfer to the heatsink?
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2009-03-02 at 04:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Bitchin' flame decals on the side of your CPU? (Can't provide techie support, but hopefully some laugh support)
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

16. - Top - End - #16

Post Re: I need to make my computer better, faster, harder, stronger... Without the money

Oh, look.
    People are helping me.
    Yays! ^^

As for a price figure? Right now, $500-$800 CAN ($392.10 - 627.35 for you Yankies, and 309.56 - 495.29 Euros to... you people who use Euros. >>)
    A thousand may be possible, after all, I think that's about what my tablet cost. But lower is better.
    Although this is a ball park - I'll have more firm figures when I can discuss it with Mom.

My needs are simple - gaming, and internet. (When I move out, not so much internet. But that's not for a few years.) I'm not a hardcore gamer - cant afford it. So nothing fancy is needed. Just running my games without lag will be good enough for me.

@Pirate: ... I really doubt Mom will let me do anything to her computer that may involve it combusting. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by deathslayer7
    Is it going to be a desktop or laptop. If laptop, you'll probably need to shell out more moeny, but I don't think you're going this route from your posts.

Now that we decided on a desktop, what kind of desktop? Gaming, video, pictures, all-around? Choosing a specific category may just help you find what you're are looking for. Gaming desktops do tend to be more expensive though for the reasons listed below
    Yup, desktop. I don't trust myself with a lappy. I'd lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasty
    As a note for RAM i've found the following:

For Vista: Minium: 1GB Ram. For gaming minium 2gb. You really should consider getting 3-4GB if you are a serious gamer and can afford it.

For XP: I had 512 ram for a long time and it was fine. But that wasn't the best machine in the world. Get 1GB if you can afford it. 2 GB if you are a crazy gamer. :p
    Actually, this brings up another question. Is it still possible to get my hands on XP? From the window-shopping I've done, Vista seems to be the only one out there. And I haven't heard a lot of stuff I like about Vista.
    Apple is straight out - unless, of course, the internet has lied to me and you can game on Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fri
    2.All the mumbo jumbo seemed intimidating at first, but you only need this three thing to know. All other is just

a.Processor. *snip*

b.RAM aka memory. *snip*

c.Graphic card. *snip*

Motherboard
    Are those everything I'll need for the CPU? Excluding mice and keyboards and the like. Or is that just the core?

Quote Originally Posted by Rama_Lei
    Bitchin' flame decals on the side of your CPU?
    Naturally.

@tyckspoon: Thanks for the links. This Newegg website - is it any good? I'm taking a look through it, but I have no idea what I'm reading.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2009-03-01 at 05:53 PM.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

17. - Top - End - #17

There is another thing actually, the power supply. With that, yes, that's everything inside the tower. Some people add external sound card and cooler, but that's optional.

With price wrangling, discount hunting, and everything, and not counting the software, I built mine for around 400 bucks, including a 15 inch LCD monitor. Not exactly pc-of-the-line, but serve my purpose. (It can't play fallout 3 in full graphical glory, but decently enough. And I need it for 3d design as well).

And I think you could downgrade vista for XP free. just ask the dealer.

Ask for the shop for help, ask if there is anything you don't understand, and don't be intimidated by the psychobabble, and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-03-01 at 06:35 PM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Ah, yes. Good old electricity. How could I forget.

Thanks. ^^
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

19. - Top - End - #19

Encase it in concrete and attach it to the back of a train. Suddenly your computer will be faster, harder and stronger. It will be better too, just in very limited ways
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

20. - Top - End - #20

This Newegg website - is it any good? I'm taking a look through it, but I have no idea what I'm reading.
    Every person I know who is computer-savvy buys stuff on Newegg. So I presume it must be decent if you know what you're doing.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, Canadian? Your equivalent is probably http://www.ncix.com/, then. Newegg did recently set up a Canadian branch, but I'm not sure if the pricing is as good as their US stuff usually is.

(Further Research:) It looks like Newegg.ca is about as good as Newegg US. They have at least the same general lineup of products, anyway. Try something like this box matched with a 4670, 9600GT, or even one of the less expensive 4830's; it should leave just enough room to squeak in under $800 Canadian once shipping is applied.

22. - Top - End - #22

Here's what I did when I started replacing my computer's parts. I was just your average middle school geek (much like you, I believe?) until teh intranetz (<-- added for cultural bonuses) changed my life.

Here's what I did.

I went to HP's website and found a computer that could do what I needed it to and wrote down the price.

Then I went to Newegg, which here in The States, and now even up in the frozen north, is THE website to go to for computer parts, and looked up how much it would cost me to make a similar computer if I learned how. I came up saving about $200 dollars, which made things more than worth my time to learn.

So when I wasn't chained to a math book I googled/youtubed instructions on installing hardware and the core software 'til I had a very good idea of what to do.

Then I went to Newegg, bought the goods, and then used the knowledge I had garnered from the internet to put it together. I was only renovating an old machine, but the process was much the same.

Oh, and call me a Yankee one more time and you'll regret it Eskimo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

And if none of that works you can always call in the experts.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

So, would you be happy just being able to run modern games on low settings? If so, theres a nice few cards around and pretty cheap as well. The nvidia 6800 is pretty decent and is only about £30. Unless you buy a specific gaming Pc odds are your graphics card wont handle everything too well, and gaming pc's are very expensive. A friend of mine borght a pc for gaming (left 4 dead mainly) for about £1200, it had so much stuff that it didnt need, it was unreal.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Default you know i hate it when people call everything in the case the CPU

well onasuma, i've just spent £1700 on a laptop... that wasn't my MOST expensive laptop either i had an Alienware which came to about 2k... at least £300 was for the badge! DAMN YOU MARKUP!

anyway, Canada... i need some good Canadian hardware websites....

BRB.

p.s. add a hard disk & a DVD rom drive to the list...
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2009-03-02 at 04:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

On the topic of buying vs building...

PCWorld Review

PCWorld regularly rates computers on various criteria. This article rates budget PC's on a "bang for the buck" scale. Of note, they define "budget" as being under $1500US, but only like 4 of them are over $1000 and at least a couple are right around $500. This includes things like the monitor and keyboard/mouse stuff that you'll need to make it work. Check them out, scrub it against your requirements for your game, and see what fits in your budget. It's likely that you can get one of these that is within your budget and will meet or exceed those minimum requirements. If you don't really like any of them, scour Newegg and you'll probably be able to find something you do like, but at least you'll have any idea of what you should be expecting to spend.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2009-03-02 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Current computer specs would be extremely useful. It may only be a matter of a new graphics card. Click the Start button. Right click My Computer. Click Properties. Under "Computer:" what does it say? Finally, at the back of your computer, is the cable plugged into the monitor parallel or perpendicular to the case?

Reading through this thread I have realized how many mixed messages you may be getting. If you are serious about getting a new computer, I would gladly show you some good options, be they parts or a prebuilt system. One thing you must realize is that you will save a lot of money by getting the parts, but you will most likely have to purchase a copy of Windows, which run ~$100, negating most of the cost saved on a budget PC.
    Last edited by Forthork; 2009-03-02 at 05:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc
    Every person I know who is computer-savvy buys stuff on Newegg. So I presume it must be decent if you know what you're doing.
    Therein lies the problem.
    I don't know what I'm doing.
    That's where you people come in.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon
    *links and such*
    Took a look, thanks. Steam isn't loading, and I haven't decided which game I wanna build my computer (if I do decide to build it, which I probably will) on. Hmm... Some new game. Suggestions? Maybe the new pretty new Watchmen game that's coming out? *fangirl drool*

Quote Originally Posted by Lupy
    *helpful advice*
    Oooh, good idea. Don't suppose you can recommend any videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Trog
    *refrence I dun get*
    Quote Originally Posted by Onsuma
    So, would you be happy just being able to run modern games on low settings? If so, theres a nice few cards around and pretty cheap as well. The nvidia 6800 is pretty decent and is only about £30.
    Yeah, I'm not too picky on graphics. Pretty is nice, plot and no lag is better.
    Unless you buy a specific gaming Pc odds are your graphics card wont handle everything too well,
    Eh? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    p.s. add a hard disk & a DVD rom drive to the list...
    Hmm.
    So that means I need: Mother board, tower case, power source, cooling unit, video drive, hard disk (what IS that?) DVD rom drive, speakers, mouse, keypad, moniter, lotsa wires... Other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Halp?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb
    On the topic of buying vs building...

PCWorld Review

PCWorld regularly rates computers on various criteria. This article rates budget PC's on a "bang for the buck" scale. Of note, they define "budget" as being under $1500US, but only like 4 of them are over $1000 and at least a couple are right around $500. This includes things like the monitor and keyboard/mouse stuff that you'll need to make it work. Check them out, scrub it against your requirements for your game, and see what fits in your budget. It's likely that you can get one of these that is within your budget and will meet or exceed those minimum requirements. If you don't really like any of them, scour Newegg and you'll probably be able to find something you do like, but at least you'll have any idea of what you should be expecting to spend.
    Ah, thanks. That's a nifty link, I'll take a look.
    Right after this lolcat. >>

Quote Originally Posted by Forthork
    Current computer specs would be extremely useful. It may only be a matter of a new graphics card. Click the Start button. Right click My Computer. Click Properties. Under "Computer:" what does it say? Finally, at the back of your computer, is the cable plugged into the monitor parallel or perpendicular to the case?
    Hmm, apart from old?
    Well, hang on, lessee...
    Quote Originally Posted by My computer...
    CISNET

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
    3500+
    2.19 GHz, 448 MB of RAM
    Physical Adress Extension
    As for the plug, I have no clue which of that jumble mess is the one for the moniter, and I have all of two minutes to get this post done before McAfreak kicks me offline, so I can't look. just ran over my time limit, so may as well.
    *pokes around*
    Oh, look. I disconected my mouse. Greeaaat. Just plugged it in, but it's not doing anything. *saves this text and restarts*
    'Nyway, the mouse-plug-thing is verticle, as is the tower-thing. That help?

Reading through this thread I have realized how many mixed messages you may be getting. If you are serious about getting a new computer, I would gladly show you some good options, be they parts or a prebuilt system. One thing you must realize is that you will save a lot of money by getting the parts, but you will most likely have to purchase a copy of Windows, which run ~$100, negating most of the cost saved on a budget PC.
    Yeah, I'm serious. I didn't buy Splinter Cell just to let it clog up my only computer.
    Seriously, one-hundred?
    Hmm. I wonder if anyone on eBay is selling XP Home...

Again, thanks guys. ^^
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

29. - Top - End - #29

Gah! Sorry, I forgot about the Hard disk and dvd rom. I always forgot about those. I also almost forgot those when I built my most recent pc.

dvd rom, well... yeah It'd be funny if you built a pc and realized that you haven't put a dvd rom there... (I was thiis close to let that happened to me)

Hard disk is well, the hard drive. You know, where you put your programs and save your files? The C drive, D drive, etc. Actually, we can say that usb stick and floppy drive are some kinds of hard drive.

Back then (and I still remember back then), computer practically didn't have a hard disk. If you want to use a word processing program like wordstar, you must put a floppy disk that contained the program to your computer, and then you need to save the document into another floppy disk.

If you want to play a game, you must insert the floppy disk that contained the game.

Nowadays, you can save your documents into your hard drive, and you can even INSTALL your word processing programs into your pc! Woah...
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-03-06 at 11:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Originally Posted by Trog
    *refrence I dun get*
    *headdesk*
    Those two robot fellows there are Daft Punk. You may be familiar with their work?