New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Throne of Thufir's Thoroughly Theoretical and Therapeutic Random Banter #116

I click on RB, just to see what's up... and I lose the damn game.

*sigh*

And I wasn't going to say this to everyone, but I figured I might as well...

I am going to be a pallbearer at my grandfather's funeral. It will be this upcoming Monday.

I know I haven't been able to post much lately because I got cracked down on at work, but I would appreciate any positive thoughts or prayers that you might have for me and my family.

Thank you all very much.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2009-03-05 at 01:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Throne of Thufir's Thoroughly Theoretical and Therapeutic Random Banter #116

^: game? What game? There is no game here.

I'll tell you one thing that cats have over tiny dogs. You don't have to pick up their poop directly, they learn to use a litterbox easily enough. And with a bit of work, you can even teach cats to flush the toilet, or so I've heard...

*shudders* I had to help clean up after this chihuahua/Pomeranian(?) mix about 5 times because it wouldn't go to the bathroom outside. They are like rats in that they have almost no ability to regulate their internal body temperature. Actually, they probably have less ability to do so, since at least rats are hardy creatures, whereas small dogs' bones are so brittle I had to worry about breaking this dog's legs just by letting them dangle free rather than scratch at my arm flesh.

I tell ya, when something's more fragile than the chicken bones I'm gnawing on at dinner... That's just disturbing. And then I start to wonder as to whether other dogs would realize such things were dogs when humans vanished or if they'd snap them up as a light snack.

In other news, Mega Man 9 has given me a weird dancing megaman dream. and instead of killing the robot masters with his buster, he just danced them into submission. I believe... Pharaoh Man or sommat was particularly confuzzled and annoyed by this.

In yet more news, I am going to face down a huge+ Scarlet Dragon, which means it's either the DM messing with us or it's the DM messing with us by teasing us about what makes this different from a regular huge red dragon. And I only recently got a magic weapon at all. x.x Silly 8th level Fighter/Rogue.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-03-05 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #993
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I may have failed, but you just lost.
    Rutskarn used The Game.

It's not very effective...

Player_Zero used thunderbolt.

Critical hit!

It's super effective!

Rutskarn used a hyper potion.

What the hell!? You're not allowed to use potions in battles! I'm SO telling on you.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    [SHOWOFF]If text doesn't have sound, then how do plosives, sibilance, consonance, etc. work?
    [/SHOWOFF]
    I am confused by this.
    It's not showing off. Any sixteen year old worth their salt at least knows about sibilance; and most will know about the other two mentioned pretty darn quickly in college if they take one of the English course, or one of their friends does.
    Do you want to see how an A Level English Language and English Literature student can show off? Though this is actually a language based area here actually. Here goes:

Spoilered for show - offy, geekiness that will interest few people.
    Spoiler
    Show

There are eight places of articulation:
    Bilabial - use both lips e.g. 'p', 'b', 'm', 'w' (semi - vowel)
    Labiodental - lower lip and upper teeth e.g. 'f', 'v' etc.
    Dental - tip of tongue and teeth e.g. 'th' (this), 'th' (thing)
    Alveolar - tip of tongue and alveolar ridge e.g 't', 's' (see), 's' (treasure), 'n' (nip), 'l' (lip) etc.
    Palato - Alveolar e.g. tongue at front of hard ridge near to alveolar ridge e.g. 'sh' (shin), 's' (sugar), 'ch' (chin), 'g' (gem) etc.
    Palatal - tongue against middle of the hard palate e.g. 'y'
    Velar - uses soft palate and the tongue - 'k' (kick), 'c' (car), 'ng' (sing) etc.
    Glottal - glottal stops and 'h' (horse), 'h' (high)

Some manners of articulation are:
    Plosive - p, b, g, k, t, d, glottal stops etc.
    Fricative - f, v, th (theta), th (thorn), s, s (as in treasure), z, sh and h (voiceless vowel) etc.
    Africates - ch, dg etc.
    Nasal - m, n, ng (as in bang) etc.
    Laterals - l etc.
    Others, but we don't do them

Voiced - put your hand over your voice box and sound out a word. Does it vibrate? If so it's a voiced phoneme. Say: this. The voiced dental fricative [θ] (th) makes the box vibrate.
    Voiceless - voice box test again. Does it vibrate? If not it's voiceless. Say: thing. The voiceless dental fricative [ð] (th) doesn't make the voicebox vibrate.

SO!
    You can have this:
    The deictic determiner "this" uses the cacaphonic voiced dental fricative [θ] in conjuction with the euphonic sibilance of the pre - modifying attribute adjectival phrase "silly sot" as well as the voiceless alveolar fricative [s] to create an air of condemnation which is further emphasised by . . . "

Anyone who wants to, fell free to pinch that mini - guide. Note: use the IPA alphabet when dealing with phonetic, that's where [θ] and all come in. And yes, when dealing with individual phoneme they go in [square brackets].

Now. My day?
    One week 'til my results. Dreading it.
    French Lecturer is officially away tomorrow. Work set, but no first lecture. Rained heavily, hate rain. Was wet, cold and windy. Then cold and windy. Then colder and windier. Then windy and not - so - cold.
    And I completely have the French present participle sorted out now! I mean, I can do negative, reflexive verbs with the present participle of 'etre' (pardon the missing circumflex) and make it all agree.
    Dudettes and dudes: I rock.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Dudettes and dudes: I rock.
    And your modesty levels are going great.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

In other news: the Playground is slowly killing me. Due to my perennially poor posture posting in the Playground (and a slight excess of p's), my back now hurts. But GitP just isn't the same sitting up straight!
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

7. - Top - End - #997
    Banned

Do you want to see how an A Level English Language and English Literature student can show off?
    Oh ho. But now let's see what a natural sciences or mathematics student can show off.

First one to melt my brain wins a prize.

P.S. If you don't comply I will maths at you. And no one wants that.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-03-05 at 03:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. Well. I still haven't properly started either of the courseworks I need to do... so I win!

wait. no. dammit...

I always combine sibilance and plosives into plombance. The mb is there for effect.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    I may have failed, but you just lost.

The game.

The one where you lose if I mention it.

Which I just did.

So you lose.
    A warning to sir Rutskarn:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Slayer Draco Doll by Recaiden

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

Curly: Any 16-year-old IN THE UK. They don't teach that stuff here (that I know of, and if they do, I'm insanely jealous of people who've gone to school for it...not that I'd go to school JUST to learn that when I can do it right here right now by myself).

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Banned

Great! While you're passing out the free samples of math, add in the proper answer for that problem you set several pages back. Induce the glow of correctness in my as-yet uncharged yet excitable ions. Highly excitable. Today, sunshine poured through the chilly sky and onto my spirit like oil onto water--and who has tried pouring oil on troubled waters? All it made was a mess in the bathtub; your mileage, and meterage, may vary. As for the mileage of the U.S.-based English lessons, so many years of teachers with so little contact with one another's syllabuses meant that we repeated the grammar lessons and never moved on to the nuances of speech. Let me gloss over the nuances of vocabulary by referring to the thingie with the stuff for which I need the flat-headed, long-shafted screwdriver; I can't remember what object required screwing or unscrewing yet I can still discuss it!
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2009-03-05 at 03:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

Pff. I learnt about plosives and sibilance from helping with the sound tech at concerts. None of this namby-pamby english.

@P_Z: Maths... I got nuthin' you ain't already seen. There're some interesting things about possible time-travel methods you may not know though. Namely that wormholes could allow you to pass back to the point at which the wormhole was created and so could be utilised in time travel. This is due to the nature of wormholes: they're singularities (where gravitational fields become infinite) which distort the fabric of space-time, but unlike black holes they open up again into another mouth at a different point in space. Then using general relativity and bringing one mouth next to a huge gravitational field or moving it at near the speed of light you can send it into the future (or rather, the universe slows down everywhere except where the mouth is). Once you've done that you can go on through and end up back at the time the other mouth was finished.

This could work, but to expand a singularity to the size that a person could safely pass through you'd need vast quantities of anti-matter (which produces anti-gravity to widen the mouth) which we just can't make. And a whole load of other impossible things that I can't recall in enough detail off the top of my head. Pretty cool idea though.

That wasn't as clear as it was in my head...

@Dragonrider: Your avatar looks like it should eat something, it look positively skeletal! Not even in a good way! (don't eat me please)
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2009-03-05 at 03:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Great! While you're passing out the free samples of math, add in the proper answer for that problem you set several pages back. Induce the glow of correctness in my as-yet uncharged yet excitable ions.
    What problem was that then? I remember nothing.

Also, I'm afraid I know quite a lot about black holes.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-03-05 at 04:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1004

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    And your modesty levels are going great.
    I'm a Goddess of the Written Word; modesty in this area is something I only experience rarely.
    Besides; I'm also eading one book a day of Paradise Lost which essentially means I'm reading that book twice over. Once with the notes being read at the same time; once without.

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Oh ho. But now let's see what a natural sciences or mathematics student can show off.

P.S. If you don't comply I will maths at you. And no one wants that.
    You show off every other day what with your programmable algorithms talking about root functions of xzn2x when multiplied by forty three in base six.
    Whatever that means. And then there's the video games about which I know nothing. Let me show off!
    And you made me cry. Saying that word. Abbreviating mathematics to that. It's math.

Yeah. Well. I still haven't properly started either of the courseworks I need to do... so I win!

wait. no. dammit...

I always combine sibilance and plosives into plombance. The mb is there for effect.
    I have to finish four in three weeks! Do I win? Lose? One of those.
    And plombance really does sound cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Curly: Any 16-year-old IN THE UK. They don't teach that stuff here (that I know of, and if they do, I'm insanely jealous of people who've gone to school for it...not that I'd go to school JUST to learn that when I can do it right here right now by myself).
    . . .
    Silly USians. It's so easy to learn. Alas, poor children not knowing the ins an outs of speech and also it's just basic phonology when analysing texts.
    In the latter you don't go down to voiced dental fricatives or anything, you just stick with sibilance, assonance, consonance, plosives and maybe some fricatives too. Especially with poems.

:smallblink:

So where're you learning all this stuff from? Magical online course or your community college thingie?
    Also: IPA is used a lot when transcribing foreign languages so technically as long as I knew IPA I could speak anything I wanted to. As long as it was rooted in Indo - European roots. I don't think it's work for polytonal languages or ones from the Pacific. Or those click ones.

And is it wrong that I find your sexy evil vampire DeeRee so hot and sexy? Even if you do need a tad more support up front. :smallsaucywink:
    Gods Below and Sideways; I've become something strange . . .

I blame the 'nets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And is it wrong that I find your sexy evil vampire DeeRee so hot and sexy? Even if you do need a tad more support up front. :smallsaucywink:
    Gods Below and Sideways; I've become something strange . . .

I blame the 'nets.
    I blame sexual selection amongst primates.

Hmm, sexy evil vampire Deary, eh? Guess I'm missing out since all I'm getting is the same old hippy dear I've grown to ... spray with anti-fungal agents... <_< >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Banned

And you made me cry. Saying that word. Abbreviating mathematics to that. It's math.
    Go back to America.

In England it's maths. Regardless of whether or not you believe it should be so or not this is how it is in England. You undoubtedly use slang terms which are unique to your part of England, if you're saying maths is math then I say that all of your slang, and in fact your accent too, is also wrong.

17. - Top - End - #1007

Why on earth would you call it maths? In fact, I'm not sure it's an American thing PZ. When I went over yonder to England back in 2007 I remember some people saying math, not maths. Then again with the absurd number of accents you guys have over there who knows what anything is called?
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Orc in the Playground

I always thought that math was an American thing and that in England people said maths. It's how I've always said it and I don't think I've ever met an English person who doesn't say it like that...until now obviously

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    Why on earth would you call it maths?
    I presume because it's mathematics plural, and the s in the contraction keeps that plural. Not sure though. I've always said maths, as has everyone I know.

At least I've always assumed it's a plural. Now I think about it I'm not actually sure.
    Last edited by Phaedra; 2009-03-05 at 04:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

I blame sexual selection amongst primates.

Hmm, sexy evil vampire Deary, eh? Guess I'm missing out since all I'm getting is the same old hippy dear I've grown to ... spray with anti-fungal agents... <_< >_>
    I was testing it out. It'll be back up for evil week.

21. - Top - End - #1011

I'm a theorist; is it sufficient if I tell you how to melt your brain?

I believe lying on your side and pouring thermite into your upper ear would work.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    I presume because it's mathematics plural, and the s in the contraction keeps that plural. Not sure though. I've always said maths, as has everyone I know.
    Yes yes. Exactly this.

23. - Top - End - #1013

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Yes, but not all abbreviations make sense. Take my good state of Massachusetts. The Massachusett were a tribe around here (I think the conists killed them all a few hundred years back), so Massachusetts is plural for "member of the Massachusett tribe. And how is this state generall abbreviated? Mass. No plurals there. Just something you can measure.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

24. - Top - End - #1014

Yes, but not all abbreviations make sense. Take my good state of Massachusetts. The Massachusett were a tribe around here (I think the conists killed them all a few hundred years back), so Massachusetts is plural for "member of the Massachusett tribe. And how is this state generall abbreviated? Mass. No plurals there. Just something you can measure.
    I'm not saying all plurals should include the plural in the abbreviation, just that that's why we say maths rather than math here. Both abbreviations are equally valid.

25. - Top - End - #1015

Hmmm, they are both valid I guess.

Although in the end we should all use Esperanto instead of English.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

The Los Angeles Angels. Ponder that one for a bit.

P.S. Maths is plural, mathematics is always plural. There's no "mathematic" in the (modern) dictionary.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by unstattedCommoner View Post
    I'm a theorist; is it sufficient if I tell you how to melt your brain?

I believe lying on your side and pouring thermite into your upper ear would work.
    I don't believe thermite would do much to your brain if you poured it into your ear. You have to ignite that stuff ya' know.

Your example is silly. Of course it is abbreviated as such. It ends with an s. Adding an 'es' would defeat the point of abbreviating.

What about microphones? Mic. Mics. Plural is kept because otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    They used to be the Anaheim Angels and we (who lived in California at the time) always joked how sad it would be if they went to L.A.

Then they became the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which is a stupid name and was due to some kind of franchising contract thingy (I could Google it for details, I suppose, couldn't I?).

Are they just plain L.A. Angels now?

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always called mathematics 'maths' in English and 'math' in Welsh. It's 'mathemateg' in Welsh so it can't really be abbreviated.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Can I ponder Charlie's Angels instead?

I don't believe thermite would do much to your brain if you poured it into your ear. You have to ignite that stuff ya' know.
    I believe that was implied.
    They call me fighter, They call me wizard,
    That's not my class! That's not my class!

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    He's the best commoner ever!