New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [PrC] Had-OOUUken!

A new prestige class, based on Street Fighter.

Ansatsuken

The mysterious Ansatsuken fighters use a of blend of martial arts and mystical power. Their techniques are designed to subdue an opponent, but can be used lethally as well.
    Hit Die: d8.

REQUIREMENTS
    Alignment: Any.
    BAB: +3.
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
    Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist.
    Special: Must train under another Ansatsuken for at least one month.

Class Skills
    The Ansatsuken's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).
    Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Ansatsuken
    Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
    1st +0 +2 +2 +2 Hadouken 5/day
    2nd +1 +3 +3 +3 Shoryuken 3/day
    3rd +2 +3 +3 +3 Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku 3/day
    4th +3 +4 +4 +4 Shakunetsu Hadouken 3/day, Hadouken 7/day
    5th +3 +4 +4 +4 Shoryureppa 2/day, Shoryuken 4/day
    6th +4 +5 +5 +5 Kuuchuu Senpuukyaku 2/day, Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku 4/day
    7th +5 +5 +5 +5 Shinkuu Hadouken 1/day, Shakunetsu Hadouken 5/day, Hadouken 9/day
    8th +6 +6 +6 +6 Shinryuken 1/day, Shoryureppa 3/day, Shoryuken 5/day
    9th +6 +6 +6 +6 Shinkuu Senpuukyaku 1/day, Kuuchuu Senpuukyaku 3/day, Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku 5/day
    10th +7 +7 +7 +7 Shun Goku Satsu 1/week

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Ansatsukens gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Monk Abilities: An Ansatsuken’s class levels stack with his monk levels for the purpose of determining his unarmed damage and bonuses to Armor Class and unarmored speed. His class levels do not apply to other monk abilities such as flurry of blows, slow fall, and so on.

Hadouken: There are three types of Hadouken:
    --Regular Hadouken: The Ansatsuken may, as a standard action on his turn, launch a "Hadouken" projectile at an enemy. This can travel up to 25 feet, and if the Ansatsuken succeeds on a ranged touch attack, deals damage to its target as if he had made one unarmed melee attack at full bonus. However, launching a Hadouken provokes attacks of opportunity.
    --Shakunetsu Hadouken (Staggering Hadouken): Same as Regular, except that if the Hadouken hits, the target is dazed for 1 round.
    --Shinkuu Hadouken (Beam Hadouken): Same as Regular, except that the attack is a 25-foot line that affects all creatures in the squares it hits.

Shoryuken (Dragon Punch): There are three types of Shoryuken:
    --Regular Shoryuken: The Ansatsuken may, as a standard action, unleash a "Shoryuken" uppercut. This attack hits one opponent as an ordinary unarmed damage melee attack using the full bonus, and if successful, deals normal damage and slams the opponent a short distance into the air, knocking it prone. However, after the attack has been made, the Ansukatsen is vulnerable for a moment, provoking an AoO from any opponent that was not hit (including the targeted one, if the attack was unsuccessful).
    --Shoryureppa (Fiery Shoryuken): Same as Regular, but the Ansatsuken's fist becomes engulfed in flames, dealing 3d6 fire damage in addition to the regular damage.
    --Shinryuken (Hyper Shoryuken): The Ansatsuken's power create a column of flame around his body. Treat as a 5 ft radius cylinder 10 ft high, centered on the Ansatsuken, dealing 3d6 fire damage to anyone caught inside and rendering them prone. The Ansukatsen still provokes an AoO afterwards if any opponent not rendered prone can attack.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku (Hurricane Kick): There are three types of Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku:
    --Regular Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku: The Ansatsuken may, as a standard action, deliver a "Hurricane Kick" roundhouse. The Ansatsuken attempts one hit on every opponent within 5 feet as an ordinary unarmed damage melee attack using the full bonus. However, when this is finished, he provokes an AoO from any opponent he did not manage to hit.
    --Kuuchuu Senpuukyaku(Flying Hurricane Kick): Same as Regular, except that the Ansatsuken may move up to 10 feet in any direction before landing. He must have a clear path (though prone enemies and difficult ground conditions do not hamper this) and the destination space must be clear. Also, any opponents that are within 5 feet of the Ansatsuken's new location are attacked in the same way as opponents next to the Ansatsuken at the beginning of the move. The Ansatsuken still provokes an AoO when he is done moving.
    --Shinkuu Senpuukyaku(Whirling Hurricane Kick): Same as Regular, except that any opponent hit by the first attack takes damage as if hit 1d4 times, and any opponent not hit must roll again, with a hit meaning that it is hit once as usual.

Shun Goku Satsu: This is an extremely dangerous technique, forbidden by most teachers of Ansatsuken. The Ansatsuken must declare an attempt to use the Shun Goku Satsu, then initiate a grapple attempt (which provokes an AoO as normal.) If the grapple is successfully made, the Ansatsuken amplifies the evil energy within his opponent's body. This causes 5d6 damage to a good-aligned opponent, 8d6 damage to a neutral-aligned opponent, and 10d6 damage to an evil-aligned opponent. As well, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to the amount of damage taken, or die. However, the energy fills the Ansatsuken's body as well, and he must immediately make a Will save (DC 25) or suffer an alignment change. He must become one step closer to chaotic evil (from lawful or good to neutral, from neutral to chaotic or evil). In addition, if he failed the save by 5 or more, he must move an additional step for every 5 points he failed the save by.

Multiclass Note: A Monk who becomes an Ansatsuken may continue advancing as a Monk.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2006-11-21 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Polishing it up
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [PrC] Had-OOUUken!

A few notes on translation, first: I don't think that Ryu and Ken are actually practitioners of Shotokan Karate. I've sparred against those, and Shotokan is far more rigid, grounded, and... well, slow than the style seen in Street Fighter. Ansatsuken is far closer, from what I've seen. I think Capcom bungled it.

Hadoken literally translates to "Surging Fist", or "Wave Fist", Shinkuu Hadoken to "Vacuum Wave Fist" or "Divine Wave Fist" (depending on whom you ask).

Shoryuken isn't just Dragon Punch - that would be Ryuken. Shoryuken is "Rising Dragon Punch". Shoryureppa is "Rising Dragon Bursts". There's actually no flame reference in there, Ken just always channels Ki into his fist at the last moment to create the flame effect. Shinryuken is "Divine Dragon Punch".

Two gameplay issues now... first, I would make Stunning Fist a prereq, and have Hadoken/Shoryuken take a use of Stunning Fist for the day - with additional uses of SF popping up later in the class. Granted, making Hadoken a standard action instead of an attack action is also a good balance, so either way works pretty well.

Lastly, I would alter the Shun Goku Satsu effect; as it says repeatedly in the mangas, animes, et al, the Shun Goku Satsu works by amplifying the evils in a person's soul. Good alligned targets would take about 5d6, neutral 8d6, and evil 10d6 with a fortitude save equal to the damage taken, failure meaning death. I agree with the allignment change, but not with death resulting from a failed save if the target is Chaotic-Evil. After all, Akuma is doubtlessly Chaotic-Evil, and he never took any negative effect from using his Raging Demon.

That being said (and it was a mouthful!), I love the idea for this PrC, and the execution isn't too shabby. *ker-THUMBSUP!*
    &&&&

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks!

The names weren't really meant to be accurate translations, I was actually mostly trying to avoid the "Long name nobody can pronounce effect"...

"I do a Tatsa Senkuku... A Tekken Supakiku... A Tacky Sepuuku... that... kick. That hits everyone."

Thanks for letting me know about that Shotokan/Ansatsuken thing, I looked it up on Wikipedia and you're right- Capcom America flubbed the translation.

I agree that Stunning Fist makes a good prereq, so I added it, but I think the daily limits and the AoO's make the special moves risky enough to be balanced.

As for the Shun Goku Satsu, I checked on Wikipedia again, and you were right about that too, so I changed it. Also, I realized you're right about failure meaning death being a bad idea. Probably the involuntary alignment change is dangerous enough for most characters, especially with the risk for nonlawful monks.

So again, thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2006-12-14 at 06:10 PM.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

By the way, how do I ask for this to be included in the ...From the Playground Compendium? This is my first Prestige Class, so I'm not familiar with the process.

--C. S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Copy the text inside the code section below. Then go to the ... From the Playground thread and post your link there, like this:
    In the thread, it will look like this: Ansatsuken Fighter

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, this so cleanly translates to D&D that it's kinda scary. I have to thank you for not only making a monk prestige class, but adding nostalgia to the mix without making it into a gimmick class.

EDIT: Would using the Shun Goku Satso change on the Godd/Evil scale or the Lawful/Chaotic scale first?
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Great PrC, but I see one problem: why wouldn't you always just do the fire damage against opponents when preforming a dragon punch? It's just making the user more powerful without any drawbacks.

The rest of the class rocks though.
    My sister has more ranks in Tumble then your level 13 rogue!

(Seriously. She's a gymnast.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    I'm not gonna pass up a 4 armed hug!
    STOCKS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    40 HNJO $240

Total cost: 240

Total left: 760
    Townies: Fualkner and Fellus

Edge Riders: A new RPG system in the making. We need more members, so click that link!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for the comments and advice!

To answer your questions, the alignment change is at the player's choice, and the fire-enhanced Shoryukens are available only a limited number of times per day, so you should probably save them for when they are really needed.

As for the praise, thanks! I was a little surprised how easily it translated to D&D myself, and it's a prestige class I wouldn't mind trying if a DM would allow it.

--C. S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrSeth
    Hadoken literally translates to "Surging Fist", or "Wave Fist", Shinkuu Hadoken to "Vacuum Wave Fist" or "Divine Wave Fist" (depending on whom you ask).

Shoryuken isn't just Dragon Punch - that would be Ryuken. Shoryuken is "Rising Dragon Punch". Shoryureppa is "Rising Dragon Bursts". There's actually no flame reference in there, Ken just always channels Ki into his fist at the last moment to create the flame effect. Shinryuken is "Divine Dragon Punch".
    Having read the original Kanji names for these moves, I can say that the names in bold are the most literal translations for the names used. "Wave Fist" would be "Haken" and not "Hadouken" (if anything it could be "Wave Motion Fist", but that brings back too many StarBlazer memories). "Shin" for "Divine" is a different character than used for "Shinkuu" which means "Vacuum". "Kuuchuu" means "Midair". Further, "Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku" literally means "Tornado Whirlwind Kick".

Also, given that the "Shinkuu" series and the "Shoryuureppa" and "Shinryuuken" were not known by all the practitioners of the style, some decisions should have to be made as to which form to take, rather than being allowed to gain all the techniques automatically, I think.

Overall, though, it's pretty inventive. By the way, where did the name "Ansatsuken" ("Assassin Fist") come from for this? I know it's not, but Capcom did say that it's Shotokan Karate.

My 2 yen,

Akio
    Never come between a woman and her Warjacks. - Lesson learned from facing off with Major Victoria Haley against her sister, the War-Wraith Deneghra.

Avatar by The Stoney One, Honorary Knight of Cygnar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Anatsuken" means "Assassin Fist" That makes sense and yet it doesn't. From what I've heard, it seems that the original style (that Ryu and Ken practice) is a martial art (not sure what it puts emphasis on) that also teaches the harnessing of Ki. Ryu and Ken were the star students at the dojo, though their personalities contrasted wildly. Because of the art's connection to ki, though, there was a darker side to it (literally translates to 'Murderous Intent') that can be unleashed; that is the version that Akuma practices. The Hadouken, Shoryuken and other moves in Anatsuken are non-lethal, more suppressed than anything else; the techniques in murderous intent are more powerful and feed off the hatred of the user. The Shun Goku Satso is the most powerful move in the murderous intent, that fills the victim with the power of every sin he'd ever committed and the personal 'demon' that embodied of that sin. Ryu is the only person ever to have survived it, by completely clearing his conscience of every deed he ever did for a short period of time, thus making the technique ineffective. Ryu, for a short time, practiced the murderous intent, which resulted in the violet 'negative energy' Hadoukens you see in some street fighter games.

Now this could all be a load of crap for all I know, but it's what I've heard.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not Ryu. Gen. Gen is the survivor. And the Shun Goku Satsu is...entirely different than what you think. It sends both target and user to hell and back, where they are attacked by the evil things there. The more evil the target, the bigger the beacon they are to the demons, and the more damage is dealt. But simply being good won't save you, as even a saint would be attacked for some moments before being called to Heaven. But even the user is deeply atrisk from the move.

...There is an FAQ on Gamefaqs that tracks the official histories and information on anything and everything Street Fighter. Look for it. It's where I got this.
    Last edited by Tola; 2006-12-15 at 07:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

But... what about Black Mage? He's not a monk. You mean to say I can't make a Black Mage with Hadoken in DnD?????

Well, at least I can now make a Z-Fighter.
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball.Man.Guy. View Post
    But... what about Black Mage? He's not a monk. You mean to say I can't make a Black Mage with Hadoken in DnD?????

Well, at least I can now make a Z-Fighter.
    There's a scribbled-over description of BM's hadoken spell in this strip, if you want to have a crack at it.
    "I think I just had an evilgasm."