New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default A Glaivelock PRC (3.5), PEACH

Eldritch Blademaster

Eldritch blademasters are those who gear their talents as warlocks to fighting, specifically. They learn to augment their created weapons and make them more versatile. Their ways are the same as those of normal warlocks, as they are simply more fighting oriented warlocks.

HD: d8

Prerequisites
    Invocations: Eldritch Glaive
    BAB: +4
    Feats: Weapon Focus: Eldritch Blast

ELDRITCH BLADEMASTER
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Glaive Shaping, Corporeal Blade|

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Eldritch Bladework|+1 level of existing invoking class

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |False Intangible Blade, Blade Enhancement +1|+1 level of existing invoking class

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Blade Empowerment +1|+1 level of existing invoking class

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Instantaneous Blade|

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Blade Enhancement +2, Flexing Blade|+1 level of existing invoking class

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    ||+1 level of existing invoking class

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Blade Empowerment +2|+1 level of existing invoking class

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Blade Enhancement +3|

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Transphysical Blade|+1 level of existing invoking class [/table]

Skill Points: An Eldritch Blademaster gains 2+Int modifier skill points per level.
    Class Skills: The class skills for an Eldritch Blademaster are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Religion, Knowledge: The Planes, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Weapon&Armor Proficiencies: An Eldritch Blademaster gains proficiency with all martial weapons.

Invoking
    All levels of the Eldritch Blademaster class except the first stack with warlock levels in respect to invocations gained, maximum level invocations available and Eldritch Blast.

Glaive Shaping
    The Eldritch Glaive invocation gains the properties of any weapon the user is proficient with, in addition to the normal eldritch glaive traits. This means that the weapon gains the base damage of the chosen weapon on top of the normal Eldritch Blast damage, as well as special qualities, but continues to make touch attacks and threated all squares within
    10ft.

Corporeal Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive Invocation may be made fully corporeal and can be used as a normal weapon, with the usual drawbacks and bonuses. However, it still deals eldritch blast damage. The main advantage of this is being able to gain damage bonuses from high str corresponding to the size of then weapon and the likes. Attacks with Corporeal are not touch attacks.

Eldritch Bladework
    The user of the eldritch glaive invocation may now make attacks with the Eldritch Glaive as if it were a normal weapon

False Intangible Blade
    When using Corporeal Blade, the Eldritch Blademaster may use a full round action to strike once as a touch attack while retaining all the other benefits of Corporeal Blade.

Blade Empowerment
    Any eldritch essence applied to the Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster, has its save DC increased by the indicated number in the table.

Instantaneous Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster may be invoked as a swift action and dismissed as a free action.

Blade Enhancement
    The Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster grants the indicated bonus to all attack and damage rolls when using the glaive as an enhchantment bonus.

Flexing Blade
    The reach of the Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster improves by 5ft.

Transphysical Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive makes touch attacks while using Corporeal Blade. You are still allowed full damage bonuses from ability scores.

There really aren't that many warlock prc:s and I hoped to fill a bit of a niche here.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-06-02 at 12:56 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: A Glaivelock PRC (3.5), PEACH

Any comments? Also, I think I should put an ability on level 8, but I can't figure out anything.
    Also. I found a PRC by Krimm Blackleaf with this name.. damn.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-06-01 at 01:52 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Dragon View Post
    Eldritch Blademaster

Eldritch blademasters are those who gear their talents as warlocks to fighting, specifically. They learn to augment their created weapons and make them more versatile. Their ways are the same as those of normal warlocks, as they are simply more fighting oriented warlocks.
    Eh, why not, I'll give you a PEACH.

HD: d8

Prerequisites
    Invocations: Eldritch Glaive
    BAB: +4
    Feats: Weapon Focus: Eldritch Blast
    Requirements are fairly easy. You have to take an Invocation most guys would anyhow, wait till you get the BAB and blow a feat on Weapon Focus. All in all, pretty easy, but not bad.

Skill Points: An Eldritch Blademaster gains 2+Int modifier skill points per level.
    Class Skills: The class skills for an Eldritch Blademaster are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge: Arcana, Knowledge: Religion, Knowledge: The Planes, Profession, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
    BAB, Saves, and skills seem fine. Loosing one level of invoking may not be enough, but we'll see later.

Weapon&Armor Proficiencies: An Eldritch Blademaster gains proficiency with all martial weapons.
    This is a little odd, as PrCs don't usually give proficiencies, but I'm not complaining.

Glaive Shaping
    The Eldritch Glaive invocation gains the properties of any weapon the user is proficient with, in addition to the normal eldritch glaive traits. This means that the weapon gains the base damage of the chosen weapon, as well as special qualities, but continues to make touch attacks and threated all squares within
    10ft.
    This is a little odd, as all it really allows you to do is maybe get an extra attack from a double weapon or a small bonus on trip/disarm attempts. You should probably mention that the base weapon damage is in addition to the usual eldritch blast damage.

Corporeal Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive Invocation may be made fully corporeal and can be used as a normal weapon, with the usual drawbacks and bonuses. However, it still deals eldritch blast damage. The main advantage of this is being able to gain damage bonuses from high str and the likes.
    This is good for both polymorphing silliness and just general Gishiness. I'm under the assumption that if I have the Glaive take the form of a Greatsword that I then get 1.5X Strength due to Glaive Shaping. Such interactions should probably be mentioned.

Eldritch Bladework
    The user of the eldritch glaive invocation may now make attacks with the weapon as a standard action, as with normal weapons.
    It would probably be better to say that the Eldritch Glaive may persist in existence as an actual weapon, but will fade away if you let go of it, allowing you to use normal attack actions with it rather than the usual "full-round action attack sequence only" bit, as this seems to be the intent.

False Intangible Blade
    When using Corporeal Blade, the Eldritch Blademaster may use a full round action to strike once as a touch attack while retaining all the other benefits of Corporeal Blade.
    Ah! This is not bad, but you should probably mention that Corporeal Blade means that you must make regular attacks rather than touch attacks with the Glaive.

Blade Empowerment
    Any eldritch essence applied to the Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster, has its save DC increased by the indicated number in the table.
    My memory of essences isn't the greatest, so I'm not terribly sure how useful or strong this actually is.

Instantaneous Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster may be dismissed and invoked as a free action.
    This is a problem, as the default Eldritch Glaive gives you a full-attack when formed. So, you should mention that due to Eldritch Bladework, the Glaive persists, thereby no longer giving you a full-attack when you use it, but rather just the weapon. Also, the action to invoke it should probably be "swift" rather than "free," but dismissing it as a free action seems fine to me.

Blade Enhancement
    The Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster grants the indicated bonus to all attack rolls when using the glaive.
    This is more or less a cheap version of normal weapon enchantment. You should probably make it an enhancement bonus and also give that bonus to damage as well.

Eldritch Defense
    When wielding an Eldritch Glaive, the Eldritch Blademaster gains the indicated bonus as a dodge bonus to AC.
    This feels more like filler than a class ability, as it's only ever going to be a small bonus. This is not to say that some sort of defensive blade-requiring ability is not a good idea, just that a passive AC bonus doesn't suit my tastes. I'd say go for some sort of parrying ability to attempt to negate attacks or maybe something else entirely.

Flexing Blade
    The reach of the Eldritch Glaive used by the Eldritch Blademaster improves by 5ft.
    Not bad, basically a free feat.

Transphysical Blade
    The Eldritch Glaive makes touch attacks while using Corporeal Blade. You are still allowed full damage bonuses from ability scores.
    Not a bad capstone, but it still feels a bit light to me on other abilities. Overall, I'd probably drop the three +1 to +3 abilities and work in something new. Also, as is, the PrC is may be too good, as all it really costs you is a feat and a invocation level for some save boosting abilities and a the option to add strength to your EB.

As for the corporeal weapons in general, I find them somewhat lacking. Yeah, strength damage to my attacks is nice, but the Glaivelock never really had a problem with damage. Simply giving moar seems unnecessary. I'm not sure what to have it do instead, but, as it is now, I'm a little underwhelmed and kind of just asking why.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I tried to clarify the abilities.
    I haven't gotten rid of the admittedly fillerish Eldritch Defense yet. I need to figure out some replacement abilities.
    Should I make it lose more invoking? I was kinda worried it might be a bit too powerful, even if it loses a level of invoking and the warlock class features. Maybe make it lose invoking at 1, 5, 9?
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I tried to clarify the abilities.
    I haven't gotten rid of the admittedly fillerish Eldritch Defense yet. I need to figure out some replacement abilities.
    Should I make it lose more invoking? I was kinda worried it might be a bit too powerful, even if it loses a level of invoking and the warlock class features. Maybe make it lose invoking at 1, 5, 9?
    I would have it lose at least another level (but no more than 3 total) of invoking, preferably in the middle levels.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, I made it lose invoking at levels 5 and 9 too now.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!