New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We All Scream

1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: We All Scream

I heard that they made chocolate less tasty in the new super market so that people try other ice creams. Unfortunately they don't have fudge swirl yet, and that was one of my favorite flavors.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    When I first started truly exploring the advantages and disadvantages of different ice creams I thought that neapolitan was superior, but I was very wrong. I thought that since chocolate was amazing, vanilla was good and strawberry was mediocre the combination of the three would be amazing, it turns out that neapolitan was not well thought out in the design phases and turns out weak, not fulfilling any of the flavors that it was intended to emulate.

I must conclude that chocolate is the superior flavor in every way.
    Oh, please. Neapolitan is a perfectly viable ice cream. All you've gotta do is shift the sprinkles to the strawberry, then get a Polymorph Any Flavour cast on you to make yourself into a Fudge Sundae. If anything, this shows how powerful the strawberry flavour is as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    We culturally elite folk would take any fine sobet over that flavoured muck from the teat of a cow.
    Are you telling me to graduate my dairy?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Don't go down the newfangled Chocolate route, it's a half thought through hare-brained scheme of the evil Ben and/or Jerry thouse diabolical machiavelliean conspiritors to do away with the dilicious Strawberry.

Although real conisourers remember the days of the raspberry ripple, indeed many of us still have not gone over to the overly e-numbered Strawberry on base principle.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Are you telling me to graduate my dairy?
    Hey, admittedly, that dairy could use better marketing, but I enjoy its taste better than mundane ice cream.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Now, that I will have to keep in reserve for future reference.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin 89 View Post
    Why is this thread even in Roleplaying Games? Although ice cream does make a good snack for RPing, it is completely irrelevant to the topics in this section of the forums.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Read any 4e thread. Now read this thread again. Seem familiar?

Anybody who likes chocolate ice cream clearly doesn't understand the point of ice cream. Indeed, anyone who thinks they like chocolate ice cream is deluding themselves, and really they prefer strawberry ice cream!

That's a fact, and it's obvious to anyone who understands ice cream.

This thread is awesome.
    Last edited by Bryn; 2009-03-02 at 06:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Axis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Anybody who likes chocolate ice cream clearly doesn't understand the point of ice cream. Indeed, anyone who thinks they like chocolate ice cream is deluding themselves, and really they prefer strawberry ice cream!

This thread is awesome.
    Nah, Vanilla with the Kids Next Door Prc is all powerful. But since I figured few stores carry such broken material I go with strawberry.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

I'd heard bad things about strawberry before, and thought about trying it, but after reading this thread, I think I'll save myself the trouble. Thanks, Kurald!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Axis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

This thread is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? I thought it was a parody of the Fighter vs Wizard threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? I thought it was a parody of the Fighter vs Wizard threads...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a parody of everything. I inserted a comment about M&M as well as Exalted's "Graduate Your Game" fiasco into the thread.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    • Strawberry ice cream is known to be kind of gross and of smelly, and it has the texture of a withered grapefruit. Some people who eat strawberry ice cream are obese, or said to be flatulent, or kick little puppies.
    • And on the other hand, we have chocolate ice cream, which, in the words of one highly intelligent character, is Totally Yummy. Also, it contains more calories per square inch than any other known kind of ice cream, and many highly intelligent and attractive people eat chocolate ice cream, and you should be able to buy it at your local supermarket. If not, sue your supermarket.
    My god, what blatant strawmanning!

The sheer amount of fallacies engendered in these statements is staggering - particularly the fallacy that chocolate is delicious. I am unsurprised to see these tired old strawman arguments being trotted out by the strawmanning classes that favor cocoa-based ice-creams instead of being willing to try the deeper and more complex flavors that you can find in sherbet.

Strawman.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-03-02 at 07:16 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    My god, what blatant strawmanning!

The sheer amount of fallacies engendered in these statements is staggering - particularly the fallacy that chocolate is delicious. I am unsurprised to see these tired old strawman arguments being trotted out by the strawmanning classes that favor cocoa-based ice-creams instead of being willing to try the deeper and more complex flavors that you can find in sherbet.

Strawman.
    Bah. Clearly it is not strawmanning. Strawmen like strawberries, obviously. They both have "straw" in their name, therefore they must be related. Since Kurald is advocating an anti-strawberry agenda, he must not like strawberries. Since he doesn't like strawberries, he clearly isn't a strawman.

On a completely unrelated note, the older kinds of strawberries are clearly superior to the newer varieties. The newer ones, like California berries, were designed for mass-market consumption to many people around the world, but a true connesiuer will always seek the older, sweeter, and more flavorful varieties, like Oregon berries. Clearly, the new editions are inferior to the older ones because the new ones are just to pull in the videogame generation... Somehow.
    Yeah, I have no idea where I was going at the end there. It's supposed to be like people calling 4E videogamy, but I wasn't sure how to use fruit in the metaphor...
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2009-03-02 at 07:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It's times like these that I really wish I didn't get violently ill after eating delicious delicious icecream.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Wait a minute. You can put chocolate syrup on strawberry ice cream, and then it's just as good as chocolate, if not better. After all, now it has chocolate and strawberry.
    I call Oberoni!
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Personally, I prefer waffles and meat and other hot foods to ice cream.

Though there are certain problems with the bacon being overpowered compared to chicken, it is spelled out in the Meat & Munching manual that it can be so and that chefs should take care to watch orders that include too much bacon and not enough chicken.

I mean, when was the last time Ice Cream & Insanity presented something as "potentially overpowering"? Even chocolate?
    Hey, Bacon's nigh omnipotent in real life. They were just trying to be realistic there.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I never warmed up to chocolate. Yeah, it sure can be tasty, and there's a wide variety of different brands selling chocolate ice cream, but like 90 per cent of those brands sell terrible ice cream. And some of the higher-priced flavours were just ridiculous.

I like strawberry better because it's much easier for me to buy strawberry ice cream for my friends. True, there's only a few brands of strawberry ice cream compared to chocolate and people say they're all the same anyways, but I think strawberry is plenty tasty on its own.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Strawberry? Why don't you use a scoop of unarmed vanilla/sage?

19. - Top - End - #49

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    Wait a minute. You can put chocolate syrup on strawberry ice cream, and then it's just as good as chocolate, if not better. After all, now it has chocolate and strawberry.
    Wait, gestalt ice cream? In a regular game? At least the Neapolitan Prestige Class ensures that you won't get 9th level spells in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, but when you start getting syrups involved... you might as well just throw balance out the window. Pretty soon you'll have ice cream that completely dumped cocoa wildshaping into the darkest chocolate you ever did see. And that's only the beginning, my friend... only the beginning. No, do not go down that dark path.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarr View Post
    I call Oberoni!
    Oberoni? More like Oberweis!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

You know what bothers me about these threads? All of you people who are saying 'chocolate' when you really mean one specific kind of Belgian dark chocolate with fudge chunks.

Yes, okay, 'obviously' some kinds of chocolate are 'superior', but that's forgetting that when you get some chocolate ice-cream, there are actually a lot of decisions involved. Cone or cup? Chips or peanut butter swirl? Heck, even that soft-serve Tasty Freeze junk is technically chocolate, even if no one eats it.

And when you're new to ice cream, (Which we all were, once), a lot of those look awfully similar. It's easy to make irreversible mistakes.

Whereas Strawberry, for all its faults, is simple. You put it in a bowl, you eat it with a spoon, and there are strawberries in it. Nothing to it! Sure, chewing on frozen fruit bits sometimes gives you painful headaches, but there's none of all that work involved.

So, stop hating on Strawberry when it's obviously designed with beginners who are too stupid to tie their own shoelaces in mind.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2009-03-02 at 09:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Both flavors have merit. Strawberry has a simple, clean flavor that doesn't overstay its welcome, but can get a bit tedious after a while. Chocolate is complex and you can really do anything with it, but sometimes it's just too complicated and leaves a bad aftertaste if it's too dark.

Then again, my favorite is a nice lime-lemon sorbet, but that was a simpler time back then, before the wholesale move to dairy.
    Last edited by Belobog; 2009-03-02 at 09:36 PM.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

23. - Top - End - #53

Personally, I'm a major fan of mint chocolate chip. While it only has the barest hints of the valuable and delectable chocolate ice cream, I personally prefer to explore variety than stick with the stock amazing.

I love Kurald-odies. Makes my stay at GitP entirely worth it.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

True, strawberry and chocolate are the only viable options, and chocolate is the obvious choice out of the two. But some of us pick flavors because we want to try something different even if nothing does taste as good as chocolate. And I have chocolate ice cream eating friends who will tone back their enjoyment while I eat my cookies and cream so I don't feel bad in the presence of their choclatey goodness.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

What kills me about these endless chocolate supporters is the whole "Schrodinger's Topping" problem they all have. I mean yes, we all know that a properly optimized and prepared chocolate can defeat just about anything else in the freezer without even trying, but the simple fact is that not every chocolate will be able to prepare in the right way for every bowl. You have to prepare chocolate ahead of time, choosing your cashews or your marshmallows or whatever, and you can't always assume you have every topping in the pantry at your disposal at all times. That's what makes chocolate different from vanilla, after all. Poor vanilla. It's always one level behind chocolate in getting the good toppings, so no one thinks it can keep up, but any topping it has, it has right now. Chocolate doesn't have that luxury, as much as some posters around here think it does.

I mean yeah, they both beat a straight-up strawberry, but I do wish that people would realize that as powerful and awesome as chocolate is, it still is not an automatic win button.

26. - Top - End - #56

At this point it would be good to point out that the fruit flavors are brought back into some semblance of equality with some flavors (not vanilla and chocolate though) by using the Book of Toppings. A lot of people complain that the flavors get too "eastern", but it's really the only way to have good fruit flavors in a dessert dominated by chocolate. Using only grocery flavors and toppings, even vanilla can do strawberry's job better than strawberry.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    One other problem - roleplaying games forum??!? Ice cream??!?? Can you even get strawberry ice cream of inflict serious wounds and vanilla ice cream of mass heal now?
    Sorry for going OT but ice cream would be an awesome idea for a variant of potions.

Mmhhh, Ice cream.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I like my ice cream to be effective, but not overly complex. I don't need a multiflavour Chocolate7/Fudge4/Banana2/Mint6 with a dip in Coconut. I will eat straight vanilla, and even be happy with it. Why? Because it's my ice cream. Maybe I will say the beans were harvested in some deep underground vanilla mines, and the cream actually comes from an obese ugly cow with hygiene problems, the ice stolen from destitute penguins. It changes nothing mechanically about the ice cream, but I have made the ice cream my own, even though it's just plain old vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I enjoy utilizing simple Vanilla, especially the 99 build. Equip it with a +5 Flake of Cadbury and enjoy the simple but effective flavour. If your ICM allows it, dip into the Double Cone Prc for twice the fun!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not going to get into the Strawberry vs. Chocolate argument, but I will say that it was better when it was just vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. These days every store you go into has like 30 flavors. I remember trying to get a friend of mine interested, and he was so overwhelmed by all the options that he never managed to get started.

All of the later ones are ridiculously overflavored, too: Caramel Raspberry Swirl, variants like French Vanilla and Chocolate Fudge, and those ridiculous multicolored fruit flavors. (Seriously, is there anybody who likes those who isn't a kid? No real hairice cream looks like that.) Neopolitan was broken enough, but those just ruin the whole system. Now everybody takes a dip of this flavor, a dip of that; I hardly ever see anybody eating plain vanilla or chocolate without using toppings or spoonfuls from later supplements. And we never needed them, too—the Big Three are still better!

It was better when we just had three flavors, that's for sure. Those are the only sources I allow.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!