1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 144 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 131

Why is this still sticky?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 145 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 132

Quote Originally Posted by pendell
    For that matter, I'm still not quite sure what purpose Ansom's death served. If Parson could have dropped the entire city on top of the RCC army .. what purpose is served by
    the additional killing of Ansom? Wouldn't he die with the rest of the army when the
    mountain fell on him?
    When the archons attack they will be down the arkenpliers and Ansom's warlord bonus. Ansom probably would have just flown away from the collasping city and been mostly unharmed.

In real life, there are almost always other options. Parson having no other options at all is author fiat. As pointed out, both Tolkien and Drake found alternatives for their protagonists. And both Tolkien and Drake were veterans, so it's not like they were unfamiliar with the cruelty and mercilessness of war.
    I remember is in Lord of the Rings gollum biting off Frodo's fingers. So in that regard I think there plan failed. Frodo wasn't going destroy the ring in the first place. The plan did not work, and in the end they lucked out. (Although I haven't read the books in a while.)

And it's at this point a wizard appears with a solution. He has contact with an
    entity called the Beast. It alone has the power to defeat the Queen. There is no
    other way. The things that need to be done to call the beast involve human sacrifice,
    but there's no other option ... right?

Well, the heroes turn the wizard down and look for another solution. The wizard is
    telling the truth to a certain extent. The Beast really does have the power to defeat
    the queen. Certainly they have no other realistic options to do so.

Nonetheless, the heroes turn him down and look for another solution. The heroes simply refuse to believe this is the only possible way. And if it is ... then the heroes would rather die, they and their city and their families, then buy their lives with blood magic and human sacrifice.
    They would rather die to an evil wizard and the world be conquered by an evil wizard then... die in a ritual that would defeat the wizard? So on one hand we have heroes willingly going to their death's and lots of innocents dying too, and on the other we have heroes willingly going to their deaths. Of course, maybe the heroes were not truly willing to sacrifice themselves.

Now I understand not sending soldiers to certain doom and not forcing people to sacrifice themselves. But saying a its wrong to let people sacrifice their lives to save others? I've always been taught that the person generally needs to be honored for that...

Of course I'm assuming its like one or two human lives not a whole city or something. And I haven't read the book.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2009-03-12 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Sticky thread fail.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: Erfworld 144 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 131

Quote Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
    Why is this still sticky?
    Because you didnt wipe it off when you were done? :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....