New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Erfworld 144 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 131

Bogroll is Awesome now. It can't be undone. Hopefully the same can be said of Ansom's big "Ker-splat!"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have three things to say:
    1. Ruthlessness
    2. Never let yourself be caught monologuing
    3. Ruthlessness
    This space intentionally left blank.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Page 130, panel 7. What is Ansom doing there?

I strongly suspect the next trick Ansom will pull won't be from his @$$.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by defufna View Post
    And who cast that veil ? Was it cast from scroll ? Did Maggy cast it ? I'm really not fond of this 'pulling out the spell we need right now from nowhere'.. Also, one thing that annoys me to no end is, where are the coalitions casters ? I mean if GK can have.. what 5 of them (including Misty...) How come a multinational coalition doesn't have a single one..
    I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that Maggie cast the veil, using the Foolamancy scrolls in Wanda's stash.

Also, we know that the coalition has some healomancy casters in its ranks, but it doesn't appear to have any others. Traditional Erfworld warfare would have you putting your casters out of danger since they're so rare and useful (not to mention their generally low combat stats.) Parson is fairly revolutionary in his use of casters in defensive and offensive roles.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

And who cast that veil ? Was it cast from scroll ? Did Maggy cast it ? I'm really not fond of this 'pulling out the spell we need right now from nowhere'..
    It's not "from nowhere". In the page where Parson explains strategy to the casters and Bogroll, it's explicitly stated that they have a foolomancy scroll.

Also, one thing that annoys me to no end is, where are the coalitions casters ? I mean if GK can have.. what 5 of them (including Misty...) How come a multinational coalition doesn't have a single one..
    It would appear that casters are an extremely rare resource in Erfworld. Remember that Gobwin Knob once spanned 11 cities, a huge empire on the average TBS map, so it makes sense that Stanley could have plundered the casters from there. Remember that two of them came from FAQ alone.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    It's not "from nowhere". In the page where Parson explains strategy to the casters and Bogroll, it's explicitly stated that they have a foolomancy scroll.
    Ok fair enough, forgot about that one..

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    It would appear that casters are an extremely rare resource in Erfworld. Remember that Gobwin Knob once spanned 11 cities, a huge empire on the average TBS map, so it makes sense that Stanley could have plundered the casters from there. Remember that two of them came from FAQ alone.
    And thats what I'm bitching about :).. I do understand GK was huge.. then again.. Coallition also has to be huge since it was able to take down GK... Also faq was a rather small country, and had two casters.. It's still unbelievable that others have none.. Oh and another thing.. casters are produced in this world.. not born.. so I can hardly understand how come nobody produced them when they are that useful..

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

I declare this comic to be made of Win and Awesome.

In regards to the underhandedness of Parsons strategy: Screw 'em!

When you're in a fight (or war as it may be) there is only one goal; make sure the other guy can't hurt you. In other words, do whatever it takes, no matter what, to put them on the ground and keep them there.

For a better visualisation of this rule read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by y0rrick View Post
    For a better visualisation of this rule read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
    Parson himself reference the book in one of his klog entries. I beleive it was the one labeled "STRATEGERY!"

Also, I don't really see much of a resemblence to 300. I thought it was closer to some of the promo art for God of War, way back when. I.e., made of awesome and win, but otherwise fairly generic. And Bogroll's battle cry struck me as something Minsc might cry out.

This, is for Justice. And this, is for my HAMSTAAAAAAAAAHRR!
    This space intentionally left blank.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Parson make it clear that he's already contracted himself to Charlie to use his Mathamancy gauntlet a certain number of times? Whether Parson wins or loses Charlie gets some use out of him, and Charlie seems like the sort to plan for the long haul--he'll be hoping to get Parson at some point in the future regardless of what happens now.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll admit, this does strike as Parson's first truly "villainous" move.
    Tricking your enemies is perfectly acceptable in warfare. But using the cover of negotiation/surrender to attack? Yeah, that's a Villain Move (tm). Possibly a justified one...maybe...but still.
    And is it just me, or does Erfworld have an unnerving tendency to kill the nicer people?
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Treachery during a peace conference? Parson may be a protaganist, but he's no hero.

That one scene, by itself, has made me decide not to buy the graphic novel when it comes out. Although I will wait to see if the situation changes.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    ...You're kidding me, aren't you?

Also, this isn't villanous, this is an appropriate use of Foolamancy and deception. Charlie has been pulling cheap tricks all along, yay to Parson for fighting back.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think Charlie meant to screw Ansom over, he purposely left spell security off the contract, he GAVE Parson a way, he tested him to find a way to win despite his first interruption, not only that, his 'outrageous deal' probably involves a large amount of the Schmukers that may drain Ansom's coffers.

I mean imagine, he didn't take a turn off because if he DIDN'T charge, he wouldn't be able to pay for such a huge army,causing him to dispel most of his army, his allies see a losing situation and break alliance, the Arkenpliers are in Parson's hands.

If he isn't croaked and heirless than Charlie will drain him of funds. In short, Arson signed his own loss.

and next turn? BOOM Stanley returns with his Dragonflight and catches Charlie in a pincer, he either recalls his Archons or face the flight, chances are if he can't take down the flight then Wanda raises the croaked archons, or even a croaked Ansom.

remember, Charlie asked how many Archons he needed to secure victory at there CURRENT strength, not including the Dragon Flight, and a courtyard filled with croaked units.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    I am certain that Ansom will not die from hitting the ground. Either Bogroll will choke him to death on the way down, pop his head off like a champagne cork, or Ansom will survive the fall for about a millisecond, just long enough for Bogroll to hit him.

Either way, Ansom is going to squirt all over the walls, just like a ketchup packet that got stepped on.
    Haha, please... Ansom will find a way out of this just like he has every other time people were slavering over his impending demise. Have you not been reading the same strip as me?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Ansom's plenty competant, he's just too lawful for his own good. He apparently didn't expect parson to pull off an "I Surrender Suckers". But he's not nearly paranoid enough for his own good, so he gets Bogrolled.
    I hereby vote Bogrolled as a new Erf colloquialism. Like being rickrolled, but with more croaking at the end.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And thats what I'm bitching about :).. I do understand GK was huge.. then again.. Coallition also has to be huge since it was able to take down GK... Also faq was a rather small country, and had two casters.. It's still unbelievable that others have none.. Oh and another thing.. casters are produced in this world.. not born.. so I can hardly understand how come nobody produced them when they are that useful..
    It's not that they have none. We even saw that Transilvyto has a Thinkamancer of sorts. Given that casters are so rare and valuable, I'm expecting that most casters will be at home base and not being risked on the front lines. You'll note Stanley didn't have his casters running around before hand. The coalition has to think beyond this one episode. If they can't go expending nigh irreplaceable resources taking out one errant kingdom. They're got to think a few turns beyond. Parson has two advantages here in that the front lines are home base. No other place his casters could be. Also, if he doesn't recklessly use everything he's got, he's booped.
    In book 2 or 3 or whatever, I expect Parson'll have to deal with enemy casters as Stanley's armies assail the hearts of other kingdoms. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.
    "The nicest evil guy you'll ever meet."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu View Post
    I'll admit, this does strike as Parson's first truly "villainous" move.
    Tricking your enemies is perfectly acceptable in warfare. But using the cover of negotiation/surrender to attack? Yeah, that's a Villain Move (tm). Possibly a justified one...maybe...but still.
    And is it just me, or does Erfworld have an unnerving tendency to kill the nicer people?
    Not exactly, Ciaphas Cain did it to in Cains Last Stand, he said he wanted to discuss the terms of surrender, he didn't say WHO'S surrender

Likewise Bogroll wasn't Parson, it was Ansom who didn't check, descended alone, and talked down to who he THOUGHT was Parson, Bogroll heard his master insulted, hence, For Lord Hamstar! It was ANSOM'S fault for not being clear.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

I think its more a question of Law/Chaos rather than Good/Evil (to use D&D terms)

A move like this undoubtedly breaks some rules of warfare, and it also means that if he ever truly wants to surrender in the future, its far, far less likely to be allowed... but its not inherently evil, especially when fighting for the survival of your kingdom.

It'd be different if say, under the guise of negotiations he'd moved into someone else's city, and then sprung a trap killing off most/all the nobility while they're unarmed. *That* would be evil I think.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    I think its more a question of Law/Chaos rather than Good/Evil (to use D&D terms)

A move like this undoubtedly breaks some rules of warfare, and it also means that if he ever truly wants to surrender in the future, its far, far less likely to be allowed... but its not inherently evil, especially when fighting for the survival of your kingdom.

It'd be different if say, under the guise of negotiations he'd moved into someone else's city, and then sprung a trap killing off most/all the nobility while they're unarmed. *That* would be evil I think.
    Now see, but his enemies have no proof that he wasn't heading out right now or Charlie could seal the deal on Ansom by broadcasting a fake message of Ansom planing to kill the Coalition after he was done (they can display frigging DDR I think they can manage this)

that way Bogroll comes off looking like a hero, and Parson explains he just had to test how Ansom really was.

A **** move, but it comes off favorably.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Oh, a new term enters the lexicon "Baggroll'd.

This was a good (if ruthless) move on Parson's part. I belive that Ansom will survive (lands on a cloth Golom?) but he will be badly injured and NOT be able to command his forces in the courtyard. This leaves the forces in the courtyard without a commander (and dance leader) and Wanda is all set up to counterattack. The Archons cannot help at this point so the RCC's forces are going to be pushed back out (takeing the injured Ansom with them) and Wanda has a real chance to get her 'pliers back (don't think that will happen yet though, I think she will only get them back near the end of the story after a character is revealed to be something other than what we think). Bagroll might surive with this ability to regenerate (if he lands on someone fairly soft).

On another note Ansome got what he paid for, but it's clear he should have paid more. The price of arrogance.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

It's not underhand, it's politics.

Parson knows that the Coalition must capture him alive. So no matter how vile he acts in the meantime, ultimately his outlook is fairly rosy, win or lose.

Ansom is under no such protection. In fact, Stanley would probably fistpound Parson through a wall if he managed to kill Ansom (though I imagine he'd rather do the deed himself). Additionally, he doesn't know that Parson knows he must be captured alive, which is another reason why he wasn't expecting to be Bogroll'd.

Though whether anyone ever expects to be Bogroll'd is a query I leave to the rest of the forum.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

By the By, if the earlier comic is true, than Bogroll can probably survive this, remember the other guards used to give him an umbrella with a target and he got giant boulders dropped on him.

he must be a frigging tank.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, in the short-term, I really hope that luckomancy holds out for Bogroll.

In the longer term, this should be interesting. Charlie must seem pretty untrustworthy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Gorilla View Post
    Parson knows that the Coalition must capture him alive. So no matter how vile he acts in the meantime, ultimately his outlook is fairly rosy, win or lose.
    Actually, they only have to capture him as part of their contract with Charlie, but what Parson is doing is driving a wedge between the two. The "secret allies" bit and the fact that Parson is sending (untrue) messages to Ansom through Charlie could accomplish that, and if he succeeds, any guaranteed protection from Jetstone's wrath is probably null and void.

In short, Ansom no longer knows for sure which of the two is treacherous (though since Ansom has previous with Charlie, that might suggest that it's Parson)

But even Ansom's apparent failure could work to divide the coalition.
    Last edited by TheTurnipKing; 2009-03-03 at 05:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    I do like that the same archon who said earlier that they weren't paying for spell security with jillian when jacklyn told her she was under a suggestion spell appears to be lamenting the fact that the new archon leader isn't doing the same unpaid for service
    I think she was just mourning Jaclyn by remembering what her friend would've said in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptC View Post
    If you identify personally with the protagonist, and he does something you would never, ever do, the dissonance can produce disaffection with the story.

I'm a bit put out at the ploy myself. Not my morals. But then again, not my butt on the line, either. So I'm willing to give Parson a pass. All's fair in love and war.
    Parson doesn't give a damn about honor or nobility or honesty. He's a gamer; he cares about winning. (Also, he's not even entirely convinced that this world is real.)

Also, compare with Ansom's speech. He says that his honor led to him prevailing... right before he was (apparently) defeated by Parson's disregard for honor.

Honor and nobility are for stick-up-the-bum nobles like Ansom who can afford it. Parson does what he's gotta do win.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2009-03-03 at 05:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Honor and nobility are for stick-up-the-bum nobles like Ansom who can afford it. Parson does what he's gotta do win.
    Ah, no. Honor - a glorified word for "trustworthiness" - is a large part of what makes society sustainable.
    Stick-up-the-bumness us completely optional, and not recommended.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by y0rrick View Post
    In regards to the underhandedness of Parsons strategy: Screw 'em!
    I agree, if Parson is a true gamer, honor doesn't enter into it. Next strip, I expect he's going to tee-bag Ansom's corpse to make Bogroll's kill official.

On a broader note, Parson and Stanley represent to Ansom et al a disruption to the status quo, which they find threatening. While GK's side doesn't necessarily realise it, they're Erfworld revolutionaries of sorts. Aside from the fact that he's a smug jerk, I think it would be a shame if Parson joined Charlie and this angle wasn't further explored.
    Last edited by MadMaw; 2009-03-03 at 06:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I play a Paladin in some games, and sometimes you just have to play SMARTER than the enemy, yes it's unlawful, but it was the right thing to do, I would do it for my other Party members (Or in this case army)

and again, he never SPECIFICALLY said that he was surrendering, just like in one Paladin guide book, he was bound to an evil wizard (I believe) who told him to bring him the head of a nobleman. So he did... attached to his body, alive, with a full regiment of guards.

If Parson didn't word for word say "I need him to negotiate MY/OUR surrender" he's not at fault, one could say negotiations were closed the moment Ansom told him to kneel and offer his sword. Hence it wasn't him breaking negotiations, that was his response. No, no he will not offer his sword, instead Ansom can die.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onmi View Post
    By the By, if the earlier comic is true, than Bogroll can probably survive this, remember the other guards used to give him an umbrella with a target and he got giant boulders dropped on him.

he must be a frigging tank.
    Ah well... technically it was 'crap' he got dropped at him... but given the density and the velocity of the stuff when it hit, I doubt most people would notice the difference between that and a boulder. They would still go splat.

Yes, the move was telegraphed, in one of the delicious 'so obvious it can't possibly be the case' traps I occasionally manage to work myself into. It was also quite ruthless (working as advertised). But Parson has his back to the wall... and he wants to win. Arguing that he is no hero... well. He wasn't summoned for being the Ultimate Hero but the Ultimate Warlord. And to Parson it isn't what is heroic but what works.

I admit to a small hope that Bogroll will survive. I like him. We'll see.

Small edit: Is it me, or could that line be made to sound, "For my Lord Hamstard"?
    Last edited by The Old Hack; 2009-03-03 at 06:02 AM.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    Ah well... technically it was 'crap' he got dropped at him... but given the density and the velocity of the stuff when it hit, I doubt most people would notice the difference between that and a boulder. They would still go splat.

Yes, the move was telegraphed, in one of the delicious 'so obvious it can't possibly be the case' traps I occasionally manage to work myself into. It was also quite ruthless (working as advertised). But Parson has his back to the wall... and he wants to win. Arguing that he is no hero... well. He wasn't summoned for being the Ultimate Hero but the Ultimate Warlord. And to Parson it isn't what is heroic but what works.

I admit to a small hope that Bogroll will survive. I like him. We'll see.
    Also Charlie neglected to mention anything suspicious, it was Ansom's pride and misinterpretation that lead to this.An unlawful but 'good' move.

Proof that Vinnie is the only thing that KEPT Ansom alive.
    Last edited by Onmi; 2009-03-03 at 06:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Erfworld 144 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 131

For my Lord Hamstaaaaaar! Brilliant!
    My Avatar is Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster the Ruthless from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BOGROLL'D FTW!

Is this the end of Ansom? Will Bogroll survive to bogroll again? Will Wanda get the 'pliers and become the FINAL ULTIMATE SECRET BOSS that RCC, GK and Charlie will have to ally to take on? Dun dun dunnnh!

In other news, here's what happens when a bogrolling attempt goes awry.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill: