New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Wanda will never get the pliars

and they won't attune to her.

Now that that has been cleared up, we can all stop predicting how these events will come about in the next strip, for every strip.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Wanda will never get the pliars

Quote Originally Posted by 1488 View Post
    and they won't attune to her.

Now that that has been cleared up, we can all stop predicting how these events will come about in the next strip, for every strip.
    My apologies. Last I checked, discussion of a story that was not yet complete reasonably includes speculation towards how it will. Furthermore, the way you started this reeks of hypocrisy. How is your prediction any more valid without proof?

But do continue to be butthurt, please. I'm sure many people will get a kick out of this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

She'll never get the pliars because it wouldn't make literary sense. I'm pretty sure the guys making this thing know at least as much about storytelling as I do.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

She'll never get the pliars because it wouldn't make literary sense. I'm pretty sure the guys making this thing know at least as much about storytelling as I do.
    it would not make sense for somebody with an apparent superiority in spell diversity, as well as an affinity toward the undead, which the arkenpliers seems to respond to, to be able to attune to one of the the mcguffins of the series?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by galdon View Post
    it would not make sense for somebody with an apparent superiority in spell diversity, as well as an affinity toward the undead, which the arkenpliers seems to respond to, to be able to attune to one of the the mcguffins of the series?
    No, it wouldn't.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, it wouldn't.
    care to elaborate on that, or were you hoping people would just start yelling?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Look, I know a lot of people really want her to get the pliars in the next strip and conquer Erf in the strip after that, but it's not going to happen as Rob & Co. are shooting for more than a one book deal here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Look, I know a lot of people really want her to get the pliars in the next strip and conquer Erf in the strip after that, but it's not going to happen as Rob & Co. are shooting for more than a one book deal here.
    yeah, that pretty much explains all of nothing. you are just repeating yourself without actually saying your theory on this. which makes me think you do not have one and just want to set off some flaming.

i'm going to pretend that you are serious, and just lack the realization that you need to add facts to support your theories. Somebody is going to end up with the pliers, If parson wins, gobwin knob will have the pliers and hammer, since they probably won't attune to the same person, and parson is not of that world, they are going to have to attune to either wanda, or sizemore. (bagroll's fate is uncertian) as it would be poor writing to just magically have someone pop out of nowhere to wield them.

The only way to guarantee that wanda will not get the arkenpliers would be to assume that parson loses, in which case parson, the hammer, and the pliers will probably all end up going to charlescom, and then they really will pretty much wipe the whole world out.
    Last edited by galdon; 2009-03-07 at 11:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

That sounds like more of an argument that they will attune to Parson, though of course, that won't be the case either.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

You are making assertions without any arguments to back yourself up. Either provide some, or be labeled a troll.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah, you totally didn't read my post. unless your next post contains something outside of your consistent formula of 'it won't happen because i say so' i think we're done here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

It won't happen, even if you can't comprehend why.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm glad the reasons are so elevated that they are in a language that can't be typed.

But you don't care to elaborate, I take it.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'm glad the reasons are so elevated that they are in a language that can't be typed.

But you don't care to elaborate, I take it.
    Not until I get a translater who can put it some way you'll understand. Seriously, it gets tiresome repeating the same explaination over and over for you.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I'd imagine those muscles would tire easily, having atrophied from disuse.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

You cannot repeat an explanation you never gave. You said it would be bad writing to give wanda the pliers, but not why. then repeated 'it won't happen' in response to anything said to you.

You bore me with your attempt at trolling. There is nothing further to be discussed here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

You know what? I've explained why it won't happen for story building purposes more than once in this thread. It is clear that you are intentionally not getting it because it shoots down your half baked theories. Face it, the only evidence there is that wanda will get the pliars is that she (maybe) wants them. Ansom wants them attuned to, but you aren't arguing that that will happen. Ha ha ha ha ha! You know, it's not winning the argument that is the best part, it's the proving how much better I am than you that is so sweet!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

You know what? I've explained why it won't happen for story building purposes more than once in this thread. It is clear that you are intentionally not getting it because it shoots down your half baked theories.
    Aside from vague "storytelling reasons", you haven't really given a thing.
    Face it, the only evidence there is that wanda will get the pliars is that she (maybe) wants them.
    She's a powerful caster. There could be a reason.
    Ansom wants them attuned to, but you aren't arguing that that will happen. Ha ha ha ha ha! You know, it's not winning the argument that is the best part, it's the proving how much better I am than you that is so sweet!
    Yes, some random Internet retard is better than all of us simply because he claim he thinks on an entirely different level.

Really, as far as trolls go, you aren't very good. Responses aren't the goal, reactions are. All you're provoking is hilarity from being so astoundingly dumb-under the pretense of being far more intelligent than the entire community, no less!

As I stated earlier;
    please continue being butthurt.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1488
    it won't happen for story building purposes
    ...is your startling insight?

Bravo. Kudos to you on a well-presented, stirring revelation.

Now, you have proven yourself so much better than us that this feeble board cannot contain your brilliance. Go forth! and ascend unto a higher plane, far removed from our mere mortal forum. /sarcasm

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

i'm going to pretend that you are serious, and just lack the realization that you need to add facts to support your theories. Somebody is going to end up with the pliers, If parson wins, gobwin knob will have the pliers and hammer, since they probably won't attune to the same person, and parson is not of that world, they are going to have to attune to either wanda, or sizemore. (bagroll's fate is uncertian) as it would be poor writing to just magically have someone pop out of nowhere to wield them.
    "Have to attune to either wando, or sizemore"?

Stanley was a piker, so they can attune to any character really. While I don't see it being handed out to someone out of nowhere, Stanley is the ruler, so even if it does end up in Wanda's hands, he might hand it instead to one of his knights instead. There is no reason to assume that it has to go to a caster.

OP said
    What literary convention are you referring to? The one where the Protagonist gets all the loot? I get the impression that you don't know as much about storytelling as you presume. I've read plenty of stories where an artifact goes to a secondary character and not the main one. And the story worked out just fine. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is a good example of this.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-03-08 at 12:49 AM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was meaning, ishnar, that they are the only remaining 'units' on parson's side with enough backstory to be plausable, the rest are so far either nameless or have not really had much character development at all (the foolomancer is iffy, he's started getting some more backstory but he's about as stable as liquid butter..) but if not them someone we don't know would need to be invented to get the pliers.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    Stanley was a piker, so they can attune to any character really. While I don't see it being handed out to someone out of nowhere, Stanley is the ruler, so even if it does end up in Wanda's hands, he might hand it instead to one of his knights instead. There is no reason to assume that it has to go to a caster.
    I dunno, several out of nowhere things like that have occurred, probably because the Erf we read is the cut in half abridged version.

Also, 1488 where do you get off assuming that your statements into literary interpritation are self suppourting? You might have been able to pull that off by citing yourself in a long thread where you had been posting awhile, but to try and BS us on a thread you just started? That would require us to have the intelligence of someone born in 1488. While I personally doubt that Wanda will get the pliers and will probably be one of the ones nasally whining "Dieux Ex" if it happens, I seriously doubt that it breaks any literary law. Major female secondary cast members have always had things that set them apart from the others. Like Hermione having the time turner or Susan having the magic bow. Even Haley now has her bow of Mint deliciousness now. If anything, the trend dictates that Wanda would be almost required by literary standards to receive the bow.

[/rant and ramble]
    I make avatars if you ask nicely.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

On the other hand, picture a desperate, dying Ansom. 1 hit point left, barely able to stand or move, with the undead closing in. Somehow he manages to get a hand on the Arkenpliers. But he hasn't got the strength to lift it. He gives way to despair and anger. "Titans, i can't die like this! Uhhn! Can't budge it. Can't budge it!" He breaks into tears. "I-i've failed! I'm booping useless!"

And in that instant of humility and self realization, he collapses. Turn ends.

Night. Morning. Ansom hangs from the wall. From outside he can hear the sounds of the coalition being slaughtered. Time passes. Wanda enters, in a fresh leather outfit. "You were too weak to be much fun last night, but now that you're healed, let's spend some quality time." She extends the pliers to his chest.

But in the instant they touch his flesh-- he attunes! With a burst of strength he rips out of the shackles, grabs the pliers and flies up and outside. There he sees the heaped up remains of his army, motionless except where Sizemore's golems are moving them into piles. And then he sees Stanley, who's only just returned. He zooms to the attack.

And when the artifacts collide there is a flash of energy and Ansom is gone, teleported to some random destination.

Charlie withdraws. Loose ends are tied up. End of Book One.

Book 2: Ansom the Wanderer. Disowned by his king, Ansom must learn what it's like to be unroyal, and what his new artifact powers are. Thi will lead him through a series of character building adventures, When he finally returns to "The West", he will be a very different person. Perhaps we'll even like him.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Come on folks, don't be TO rough on 'em. There is something her got right.

they won't attune to her
    Of course the reason that the the Arkenpliers won't attune to Wanda is because they are ALREADY attuned to her.

Sorry, 1488 but your "train" of logic does not fit with known facts very well.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

I happen to agree that Wanda won't get the pliers, but unlike the troll I actually have reasons.

My main reason that Wanda won't attune to the pliers is pretty simple. Yes, the Arkenpliers react to uncroaked. However, they do this by killing the uncroaked. That doesn't seem at all like something Wanda would even want to use, and makes it much less likely that she would attune to them.

My next one is that there has been no real evidence that you attune to an Arkentool based on your own skills. Look at the Arkenhammer. It allows whoever is attuned to it to control dwagons and, as a side affect, can turn nuts into pigeons. Stanley showed nothing similar to these traits before he got the hammer. He was just a foot soldier that the king happened to like.

If there is no link between the skills someone has and whether or not a tool will attune to them, any of the named characters is capable of gaining the pliers. They could go to Sizemore, Parson, or even a character from the Coalition. The pliers could even go to Stanley. Remember, him and his remaining Dwagons are heading back to Gobwin Knob.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0128.html.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crzybggr View Post
    I happen to agree that Wanda won't get the pliers, but unlike the troll I actually have reasons.

My main reason that Wanda won't attune to the pliers is pretty simple. Yes, the Arkenpliers react to uncroaked. However, they do this by killing the uncroaked. That doesn't seem at all like something Wanda would even want to use, and makes it much less likely that she would attune to them.

My next one is that there has been no real evidence that you attune to an Arkentool based on your own skills. Look at the Arkenhammer. It allows whoever is attuned to it to control dwagons and, as a side affect, can turn nuts into pigeons. Stanley showed nothing similar to these traits before he got the hammer. He was just a foot soldier that the king happened to like.

If there is no link between the skills someone has and whether or not a tool will attune to them, any of the named characters is capable of gaining the pliers. They could go to Sizemore, Parson, or even a character from the Coalition. The pliers could even go to Stanley. Remember, him and his remaining Dwagons are heading back to Gobwin Knob.
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0128.html.
    parson and stanley are last on the list of possible candidates in my opinion, since charley has a tool, it shows that various people, not just one can attune, so, odds are you can only attune to one tool, and parson is not of this world, and he just finished getting a weapon not too long ago.

sizemore, bogroll, wanda, jack, and the thinkomancer are all the named characters on parson's side i can think of, sizemore hates to fight, so i don't think he'll be likely to attune to a weapon, bogroll's fate is currently unknown, wanda likes the undead and the plier's power sparks when they come in contact with the undead, jack is couldn't be less sane if he tried, and the thinkomancer outside of a name, has no backstory

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

sizemore, bogroll, wanda, jack, and the thinkomancer are all the named characters on parson's side i can think of, sizemore hates to fight, so i don't think he'll be likely to attune to a weapon, bogroll's fate is currently unknown, wanda likes the undead and the plier's power sparks when they come in contact with the undead, jack is couldn't be less sane if he tried, and the thinkomancer outside of a name, has no backstory
    Actually, Jack is now quite sane again, though I'm not toally sure he is happy with it since he turned his back on Jillian (who he may love) to get the Tool out of harms way. The Thinkomancer's name is Maggi. As for Wanda not attuning to the Arkenpliers, she was already shown to be able to influance them without being in direct contact ("What have you done to it!"). I think the reason that the 'pliers have not attuned to Ansom is because they are already attuned to someone else and that person is Wanda. Just because the Arkenpliers destroy uncroaked on contact, it does not mean that another of it's power would not be usefull to her. (I suspect that each Archentool has 3 powers. 1 a touch ability: Archenpliers destroys uncroaked on contact, the Arkenhammer can change birds to nuts or visversa. 2 A ranged effect: The 'hammer has a powefull lightning strike, the Arkendish has Thinkomancy powers 3 A taming effect: The 'hammer tames dwagons, the 'dish archons.)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Actually, Jack is now quite sane again, though I'm not toally sure he is happy with it since he turned his back on Jillian (who he may love) to get the Tool out of harms way. The Thinkomancer's name is Maggi. As for Wanda not attuning to the Arkenpliers, she was already shown to be able to influance them without being in direct contact ("What have you done to it!"). I think the reason that the 'pliers have not attuned to Ansom is because they are already attuned to someone else and that person is Wanda. Just because the Arkenpliers destroy uncroaked on contact, it does not mean that another of it's power would not be usefull to her. (I suspect that each Archentool has 3 powers. 1 a touch ability: Archenpliers destroys uncroaked on contact, the Arkenhammer can change birds to nuts or visversa. 2 A ranged effect: The 'hammer has a powefull lightning strike, the Arkendish has Thinkomancy powers 3 A taming effect: The 'hammer tames dwagons, the 'dish archons.)
    yeah, i knew maggi had a name (hence why she was in the list) just couldn't think of it and the comics were loading too slow to check.

i'm still not certain about jack though, even the most insane mind can have a sober moment after a shock (like seeing jillian) have to see him again and see him still sane before i'd be confidant he won't revert back to his insanity.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

My main reason that Wanda won't attune to the pliers is pretty simple. Yes, the Arkenpliers react to uncroaked. However, they do this by killing the uncroaked. That doesn't seem at all like something Wanda would even want to use, and makes it much less likely that she would attune to them
    I've seen this argument pop up in pretty much any Wanda/pliers discussion, and I have to say I disagree. If Croakamancy is essentially necromancy or something close, there is a precedent for the 'pliers ability- many uses of necromancy in other works of fiction also include the ability to hinder or destroy undead, in addition to raising them. Take DnD for example- the spells Undeath to Death (!), Disrupt Undead, Hide from Undead and Halt Undead are in the necromancy school of magic in that setting.

Of course, this is all speculation; I can't know Croakamancy's particulars or if it's anything like traditional necromancy. ;)

As for Wanda not wanting to use them, I say, why not? They're a good combat weapon, and as long as she doesn't go around purposefully smacking her own uncroaked with it, there's no discernable disadvantage to her wielding them. Heck, it might be an asset when facing another Croakamancer.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Oh, and some very telling evidence that Wanda does want to get her hands on the Arkenpliers. After being "dismounted" by the archons Wanda was reaching out to touch the Arkenpliers. Now Wanda is DYING and she is trying to get to them.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0135.html

Panel 4.