New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Arsenals of Eberron: Ray Weapons

However, a character with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms) feat, or who has both the Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item feats instead treats all ray weapons as martial weapons.
    I see a problem here. How likely is it that a character who takes all of those feats will have martial proficiencies? And if they don't, it sounds like according to RAW, upon taking the third feat, they no longer have proficiency with their chosen weapon as it's no longer an exotic weapon to them.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    I see a problem here. How likely is it that a character who takes all of those feats will have martial proficiencies? And if they don't, it sounds like according to RAW, upon taking the third feat, they no longer have proficiency with their chosen weapon as it's no longer an exotic weapon to them.
    EWP (Firearms) is really the route people are meant to take for getting proficiency with them; the crafting feats just let people who make ray weapons have a better chance at using them if they're multiclassed. Not entirely sure I follow your last point–what three feats?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    EWP (Firearms) is really the route people are meant to take for getting proficiency with them; the crafting feats just let people who make ray weapons have a better chance at using them if they're multiclassed. Not entirely sure I follow your last point–what three feats?
    ExWeapProf, Craft WondIt and Craft MagArm&Arm. If having these three feats makes the ray weapons count as martial weapons, then by RAW, the Exotic WP feat is null and void because it's not an exotic weapon anymore. (This is the same logic as the 10th level Dragon Disciple PrC paradox, so feel free to ignore it.)

My main concern was that you have to spread yourself pretty thin to get the benefit. These three feats plus martial proficiency involves a lot of odd class/feat combos.
    Last edited by thegurullamen; 2009-03-12 at 03:42 PM.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thegurullamen View Post
    ExWeapProf, Craft WondIt and Craft MagArm&Arm. If having these three feats makes the ray weapons count as martial weapons, then by RAW, the Exotic WP feat is null and void because it's not an exotic weapon anymore. (This is the same logic as the Dragon Disciple, so feel free to ignore it.)

My main concern was that you have to spread yourself pretty thin to get the benefit. These three feats plus martial proficiency involves a lot of odd class/feat combos.
    Oh, I see. It's not having all three feats that let's you treat them as martial weapons–having EWP with firearms or having both of the craft feats lets you do it. You don't have to have all three.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

5. - Top - End - #35

SolithKnightGuy

I realize this is a couple of months old but the homebrew contest brought me to it. As for a story where a wand gun like item is used en-masse, Harry Turtledove's Darkness series has things known as "sticks" that fit your criteria. The series basically re-envisions World War II in a Fantasy setting.

6. - Top - End - #36

Awesome! I'm gonna have to adapt a bunch of these for my Crystalpunk psionics setting.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it odd that there is an actual manga/anime that briefly had bullets that contained live demons as part of the ammunition? Oddly enough, they had almost exactly the same effect (the one shot gets possessed) and it ended equally as poorly for them so they never tried it again. Haha.

That said, very cool ideas all around but I can't help but think of one spell that could perfectly fit for a raygun. The Sphere of Annihilation spell could make for a great 'Anti-matter cannon'.

Also I now greatly want to see your take on mecha. I love seeing any mecha system in general, but you do good work so now I'm really eager to see it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."