New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default ki feats + ninja ki

so got a couple of questions.

First of all optimisation wise how are the Ki feats from PHB2? Fiery fists seems like a decent choice +1d6 fire dmg on all your attacks for a stunning attempt seems nice. The Ki blast though is what I'm more curious about. 2d6 range touch for 2 stunning attempts seems iffy? are there any builds based around that?

Also would any of you gm's allow a monk/ninja to use his Ki pool(from ninja) to power said ki feats? especially if he took aesthetic stalker.

Any ways thanks guys.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ki feats + ninja ki

Even if the idea behind is cool, IMHO these feats are not so powerful. I'm sure you could obtain similar effects in other ways.

Anyway, if you are fine with them, the houserule you suggested is fine. As a DM, I'd allow it.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I thought stalking was ugly by nature. I had no idea it could be aesthetic.

Ascetic: characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence

Aesthetic: concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Ki feats suck. A Monk's most valuable resource is his Stunning Fist uses. Burning one to add small amounts of damage is a very weak choice. Better choices for a Monk:

Freezing the Lifeblood: Burn Stun use to paralyze enemy for 1d4+1 rounds.

Touch of Golden Ice: Every unarmed or natural attack against an Evil enemy forces them to Save or take Dex damage. (The DC sucks though, so this is only a good low level option).

Weakening Touch: Burn a Stun use to impose a -6 Str penalty. No Save. Great for boss battles, especially when combined with Wounding weapons.

Pharaoh's Fist: When you use Stunning Fist, enemies adjacent to the target are also effected.

Snap Kick: Extra unarmed attack whenever you attack.

Monastic Training -> Tashalatora: Monk and Psychic Warrior levels stack to determine several class abilities. Use with Expansion power, Improved Natural Attack, Fist of the Forest, Warshaper, and/or anything else that improves Monk unarmed damage progression, and you can easily get 12d8ish damage per hit by ECL 14ish.

Sand Dancer: Whenever you move at least 10 feet, Tumble, and successfully attack an enemy while moving on loose dirt/sand/etc, that enemy must Save or be Blinded for 1 round. There are a ton of ways to get free movement and/or Pounce. You can also cheaply purchase a bottle of endless sand, turn it on, and tie it to your belt to cover the loose sand requirement.

Scorpion's Grapple: Free Grapple check whenever you hit enemy. This essentially doubles the damage of your first hit (since you deal damage when you hit, and again when you successfully Grapple). Also, you can make a Grapple check per turn for each attack that you get. (This was always true, and it's clarified explicitly in the Rules Compendium). Grapple checks are much easier then attack rolls.

Feat index

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    The Ki feats suck. A Monk's most valuable resource is his Stunning Fist uses. Burning one to add small amounts of damage is a very weak choice. Better choices for a Monk:

Freezing the Lifeblood: Burn Stun use to paralyze enemy for 1d4+1 rounds.

Touch of Golden Ice: Every unarmed or natural attack against an Evil enemy forces them to Save or take Dex damage. (The DC sucks though, so this is only a good low level option).

Weakening Touch: Burn a Stun use to impose a -6 Str penalty. No Save. Great for boss battles, especially when combined with Wounding weapons.

Pharaoh's Fist: When you use Stunning Fist, enemies adjacent to the target are also effected.

Snap Kick: Extra unarmed attack whenever you attack.

Monastic Training -> Tashalatora: Monk and Psychic Warrior levels stack to determine several class abilities. Use with Expansion power, Improved Natural Attack, Fist of the Forest, Warshaper, and/or anything else that improves Monk unarmed damage progression, and you can easily get 12d8ish damage per hit by ECL 14ish.

Sand Dancer: Whenever you move at least 10 feet, Tumble, and successfully attack an enemy while moving on loose dirt/sand/etc, that enemy must Save or be Blinded for 1 round. There are a ton of ways to get free movement and/or Pounce. You can also cheaply purchase a bottle of endless sand, turn it on, and tie it to your belt to cover the loose sand requirement.

Scorpion's Grapple: Free Grapple check whenever you hit enemy. This essentially doubles the damage of your first hit (since you deal damage when you hit, and again when you successfully Grapple). Also, you can make a Grapple check per turn for each attack that you get. (This was always true, and it's clarified explicitly in the Rules Compendium). Grapple checks are much easier then attack rolls.

Feat index
    If you want the best option,

/celerity
    /timestop
    /gate Person_Man

It's sun school from Complete Warrior worthy? I was wondering iyou can make a good use of it with a Monk/Ninja, teleporting on a flat footed enemy and then striking.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2009-03-11 at 01:11 PM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    If you want the best option,

/celerity
    /timestop
    /gate Person_Man

It's sun school from Complete Warrior worthy? I was wondering iyou can make a good use of it with a Monk/Ninja, teleporting on a flat footed enemy and then striking.
    IMO, no.

Flash of Sunset gives you a single attack when you move adjacent to a foe instantaneously. By the time you can pull that off (via Abundant Step or Psionic Dimension Door), 1 attack is really not very much damage. It's also not necessary. When you are limited to a Standard Action (such as in a Surprise Round) you can still Charge. Combine with Pounce (which you can get dozens of ways), and you get a full attack.

Also, Ninja and Monk are weak classes. Sudden Strike is just weaker Sneak Attack, and all of his other Ninja abilities can be easily duplicated with affordable magic items. Monk is MAD, lacks full BAB, lacks a meaningful source of bonus damage, and many of his high level class features are either weak, duplicative, or rarely used. With smart optimization and a kind DM, Monk is playable. And Monk is useful for 1-2 levels with the right build. But a Monk/Ninja is not one of them.

I think the combo you're looking for is multiple Shadow Pounce. Telflammar Shadowlord (Unapprouchable East) can make a full attack after they Dimension Door. You can use Psionic Dimension Door as a Swift Action. So Psychic Whatever 7/Telflammar Shadowlord 4 with the Overchannel and Practiced Manifester feats can Dimension Door as a Swift Action, get a free full attack, and then make a full attack with his remaining action.