New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter #117

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Bwahaha!

Yeah, night everyone.
    Saying goodnight to the moon... what a strange world we live in.

edit: woooooooah am I full. My homemade carbonara turned out... interesting.
    Last edited by Felixaar; 2009-03-12 at 05:12 AM.
    Live, Laugh, Learn, Love,
    and Look both ways
    when you cross the street

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Saying goodnight to the moon... what a strange world we live in.

edit: woooooooah am I full. My homemade carbonara turned out... interesting.
    Cooking story! I wanna hear!
    This avatar by Phase.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well... Just a random thing, that doesn't merit its own thread, but... It's my birthday today.

I guess I'll go to a concert (classical music) this evening to celebrate.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Ashtar, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Have FUN!!!

Oof. Well, I've never made a carbonara before so this way mainly all by instinct. Also, I'm vegitarian for this year only, it was sort of a New Years Dare/Challenge, just to see if I could do it - and I'm going fine atm, I barely even think about meat it's actually almost too easy, I'd have expected it to be a lot harder than this.

So anyway I decided to try and make a Vegitarian Cabonara Ala Felix. I floretted some broccolli, de-cobbed some corn, and chopped up some mushrooms, as well as some garlic. I also had some Veggie Delights Fake Bacon or "Facon", which I cut up and put in.

I had a few fiasco's in the crazy backpacker kitchen, since you have to give them your room key before you can use the pots and pans very nice and trusting, guys. Also they have a v. old, v. small gas stove, which you need a lighter to light and is waaaay to small for a horde of hungry backpackers.

Anyway. I fried the veggies and boiled some penne, then mixed an egg, some cream, and some grated cheese in a mug (it was all I had to mix in!) and poured it on the vegies. It cooked up pretty quick, but by the time it was all done the food looked roughly akin to ejected stomach contents.

With a heavy helping of Parmesan Cheese, I ate - and it was delicious! I just need to work on the appearance, I think - I might look up an actual Carbonara recipie some time, and see what that says.

But then I ate a bunch of raw cookie dough for desert, and if you've ever eaten a big bowl of creamy pasta you know how filling that is, and so now my stomach is clogged up with food that it's pilling up in my esophagus... Ah, nothing like a good big meal.

Incidentally, whenever I get really full, I can't help but stare at my swollen stomach and imagine alien's bursting out of it.
    Last edited by Felixaar; 2009-03-12 at 08:06 AM.
    and Look both ways

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Oof. Well, I've never made a carbonara before so this way mainly all by instinct. Also, I'm vegitarian for this year only, it was sort of a New Years Dare/Challenge, just to see if I could do it - and I'm going fine atm, I barely even think about meat it's actually almost too easy, I'd have expected it to be a lot harder than this.

So anyway I decided to try and make a Vegitarian Cabonara Ala Felix. I floretted some broccolli, de-cobbed some corn, and chopped up some mushrooms, as well as some garlic. I also had some Veggie Delights Fake Bacon or "Facon", which I cut up and put in.

I had a few fiasco's in the crazy backpacker kitchen, since you have to give them your room key before you can use the pots and pans very nice and trusting, guys. Also they have a v. old, v. small gas stove, which you need a lighter to light and is waaaay to small for a horde of hungry backpackers.

Anyway. I fried the veggies and boiled some penne, then mixed an egg, some cream, and some grated cheese in a mug (it was all I had to mix in!) and poured it on the vegies. It cooked up pretty quick, but by the time it was all done the food looked roughly akin to ejected stomach contents.

With a heavy helping of Parmesan Cheese, I ate - and it was delicious! I just need to work on the appearance, I think - I might look up an actual Carbonara recipie some time, and see what that says.

But then I ate a bunch of raw cookie dough for desert, and if you've ever eaten a big bowl of creamy pasta you know how filling that is, and so now my stomach is clogged up with food that it's pilling up in my esophagus... Ah, nothing like a good big meal.

Incidentally, whenever I get really full, I can't help but stare at my swollen stomach and imagine alien's bursting out of it.
    Hmm... don't chop stuff so finely, methinks.
    At any rate, <pasta type here> carbonara is excellent.
    And... When you mentioned aliens popping out of stomachs, that brought back fond memories. I watched Alien with a few friends a while back, and we made so much fun of the movie.
    This avatar by Phase.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, no, fine-chopping is my style. Makes for a better sauce. I think I just have the carbonara recipie wrong in general

And I definitley agree on Carbonara delicious!

I've only seen the Alien V. Predator movies... curiously enough, I saw the first one on election day, and my mum missed out on voting because of it. (this is the OLD OLD election, not the "Ruddslide" one)
    Last edited by Felixaar; 2009-03-12 at 08:20 AM.
    and Look both ways

7. - Top - End - #277

On making the carbonara look better: Try putting the veggies and other stuff on top of the omelette-type sauce. (I don't know if you're required to stir it, but if you need to, then this method won't help.)
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Hey, Spike quote in Dragger's sig!
    Indeed. It's not as funny without James Marsters' delivery, but, hey....

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

Felix: I suggest you remove the veggies and (fake) meat from the pan before cooking the sauce. It needs to cook on a really really really gentle heat and to be stirred constantly. The aim is to get the eggs to thicken in the cream without curdling or separating out. Then you plonk the veggies back in again, and finally, grate the cheese over the top. Never let it boil, or the cream and egg will separate and end up looking yucky.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you kpenguin for the lovely avatar, Recaiden for my dolly, and Alleine for this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleine View Post
    dish is a cool crazy cat lady.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

Felix: vegetarian. I've never understood them myself, it's so yumy. And meaty! How can one give meat up? I loves my meats.

WHo wants to hear about Koorly's accursed day?!
    Anyone?
    You're going to hear about it anyway, so just say 'yes'.

I woke up at 7:33am. I leave the house at 7:30am. Rushing superbly fast I made it to the bus stop only two minutes after the bus left.
    As a consequence I had to catch a non - college bus. At nine twenty. Class starts five minutes earlier.
    Two idiot boxes on legs held up the bus for twenty minutes arguing over corrects tickets. Two sets of ten minutes each.
    After the second we were stuck behind a tractor going about 10mph for ten minutes.
    I make it into college at twenty past eleven (really late - half an hour through second) and realise that somewhere between home and getting into my building that I'd lost Ł20.
    I check my results . . .
    I find myself annoyed as for two of my five results I only got the raw mark, uncoverted into the grade. And the two raw marks were for the two I was worried about. Joy.
    And in French we've officially started our oral. Fortunately, it can be on anything as long as you can debate it and it has two clear sides.
    Oh, and my raw French mark was converted into a grade. Impossibly, I and half the people who resat the paper dropped at least one grade. Lecturer's thinking of a centre remark.
    The resits though have been freaky across the board. A grade students in E Lang, Business, Math nd more were getting Ds and Es. Even in resits they'd previously gotten Cs in!
    Impossible.

My grades though? Guess they were okay.
    Spoiler
    Show

E Lit Keats: 88/90
    E Lang 1: 97/120
    E Lang 4: 84/90
    Med His: 75/??? If it's 120 it's a C; if it's 90 it's an A. See the worry?????? SEE THE CONCERN?????????? :crazy twitchy over achieving academic face:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

11. - Top - End - #281

So today I discovered that my phone is able of making extremely high frequency noises that adults can't hear. It was very fun in school, because every time I turned it on people around me flinched in surprise while the teacher had no idea what just happened.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

12. - Top - End - #282

Curly, have you got any past papers lying around? They usually have the total points stated on the front. I always seemed to accumulate them when I did my A-Levels. I probably still have them somewhere.

Congrats on the marks as well, they're pretty damn good whatever they're out of.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Curly, have you got any past papers lying around? They usually have the total points stated on the front. I always seemed to accumulate them when I did my A-Levels. I probably still have them somewhere.

Congrats on the marks as well, they're pretty damn good whatever they're out of.
    I have no past papers around.
    What I do have are two (out of about eight that were done in class) past questions I did in class. They were also the first two done so it was open text for those two only (not that that last bit matters).
    The exam is marked out of sixty. Which is then converted into either 90 UMS points or 120 UMS points.
    And it was only one essay question and an hour long so I'm incredibly tentatively thinking I got an A. As 72 UMS out of 90 UMS is always an A.

Which I think is not bad considering out of those eight essay questions I only did four and never got above what would be a lowish B/high C because I missed about a quarter of the notes and lessons due to illnesses and interviews.

Now you've made me get my hopes up.

ANYONE OUT THERE DO A2 HISTORY AND KNOW WHAT UNIT 4 IS MARKED OUT OF UMS - WISE?!

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

o.0 the english grading system is confusing.

And DP, could you stop with the flyswatter campaign?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, the English grading system is pretty simple, anything that consists of seven letters can't be that difficult.

I always remember my four Pure Maths mock exams at A2 level, I managed to spell DUDE with the results!

In other news, I have an absolutely catastrophic case of writers block at the moment, I haven't written more than six sentences in one go for almost two weeks now. Banjo thinks he's going to be a hermit in the Amazonian rainforest and create a language with only four words. Three of those will be different types of cookie, and the fourth will be a swear.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2009-03-12 at 03:31 PM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Meh, the English grading system is pretty simple, anything that consists of seven letters can't be that difficult.

I always remember my four Pure Maths mock exams at A2 level, I managed to spell DUDE with the results!

In other news, I have an absolutely catastrophic case of writers block at the moment, I haven't written more than six sentences in one go for almost two weeks now. Banjo thinks he's going to be a hermit in the Amazonian rainforest and create a language with only four words. Three of those will be different types of cookie, and the fourth will be a swear.
    I know that some of the people at GCSE who have no hope of going into any further education try to speel things out with their results like FUDGE. Or at least they joke about wanting to do it

17. - Top - End - #287

And only six at AS/A2!
    I think he means converting from mark to UMS to grade though.

. . . Oh dear.

Not one sentence in about four weeks.
    I win.
    Well, unless sentences in coursework essays count?
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-03-12 at 03:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

18. - Top - End - #288

Heh. A friend of mine was always quite proud that his final A-Level results spelt ACE. Fun with spelling!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Thus proving you should only really do it in mocks.

All I can say is it's a relief that Statistics were part of that course. It's the only way I managed to escape Maths with a C.

EDIT - Okay Curly, you win. Still, I just wish I could string a paragraph together without having to go get some cider first.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2009-03-12 at 03:41 PM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Not one sentence in about four weeks.
    I win.
    Well, unless sentences in coursework essays count?
    See, this is a problem. We miss your writing!
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    See, this is a problem. We miss your writing!
    Considering I have four courseworks due in within the next two weeks don't count on anything until then.
    But I do have some stuff in the works! Possibly. Maybe. Not really. No words. None at all.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    o.0 the english grading system is confusing.

And DP, could you stop with the flyswatter campaign?
    The creepy avatar is gone!

*makes out with*
    *declares peace*
    *runs away*

Victory!
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Considering I have four courseworks due in within the next two weeks don't count on anything until then.
    But I do have some stuff in the works! Possibly. Maybe. Not really. No words. None at all.
    Well, alright. I suppose we can wait the extra little while for more CurlyWriting...

Just so long as you make an explosive comeback, or something like that.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what I've noticed?

On multiple choice tests, I'm less likely to choose an answer as correct (even if it appear viable) if it's written so that the sentence ends with a preposition.

I maintain that this isn't my fault, but the test writer's.

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Well, alright. I suppose we can wait the extra little while for more CurlyWriting...

Just so long as you make an explosive comeback, or something like that.
    How about this?
    My first post in the thread will be The Deck - Hearts, the final act.
    And it'll be long.
    Will that appease the masses? But until then I won't make a single post there.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

26. - Top - End - #296

Ah, A levels... I remember those days. When it didn't matter if I slept in, or skipped lessons, or didn't do any homework for over a year.
    Things were simpler then.

Now, I think I shall read the script of the play of Men At Arms. See what they did wrong last night.

Wait, I'm meant to be copying up lecture notes/printing out different lecture notes/doing an assignment that's due in tomorrow.

...I miss school sometimes.

@^: *Is excited already*
    Last edited by Thufir; 2009-03-12 at 04:21 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    You know what I've noticed?

On multiple choice tests, I'm less likely to choose an answer as correct (even if it appear viable) if it's written so that the sentence ends with a preposition.

I maintain that this isn't my fault, but the test writer's.
    You choose the wrong answer due to:
    1. Losing interest in the question when you see that it has bad grammar.
    2. Getting distracted by the grammar.
    3. Not understanding the question.
    4. Getting angry at the person who wrote the question.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Rawhide, I am so flippin' made at that damn communist question I have no idea what to say to it. Plus, there's either a huge grammatical mistake or I don't know grammar.

Whatever. I don't even know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2009-03-12 at 04:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You choose the wrong answer due to:
    1. Losing interest in the question when you see that it has bad grammar.
    2. Getting distracted by the grammar.
    3. Not understanding the question.
    4. Getting angry at the person who wrote the question.

I HATE MULTIPLE CHOICE!

*fingers twitch*

30. - Top - End - #300
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

I HATE MULTIPLE CHOICE!

*fingers twitch*
    If in doubt, choose C. Except, you know, if you're this guy... (Sorry, I seem to have lost my link to the original site.)

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak