New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: The Center Cannot Hold (Pathfinder)

Deathknight... sweet

Jeez, making me wish I had reliable computer access to get my backstory together

Anyhow, I am glad to see this is still moving. Hopefully I can get some more up in the forseeable future... I am beginning to think computers don't like me anymore.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

notes on background:

1. Metea. That name really needs a surname or title. It just doesn't seem.... pretentious enough.

2. Keep in mind the sacrifice involved in using fire magic on a regular basis to help others. Remember using fire magic is unnatural and uncomfortable to you.

3... I was going to change a few details, but decided that I would prefer to run with the fledgling resistance angle. Just note that there were no actual clerics, just people who worshipped the old gods. Naturally, they were being held to prolong thier suffering before their execution, or for more nefarious purposes.

With a possible exception if one of the other players wants to play a cleric.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    notes on background:

1. Metea. That name really needs a surname or title. It just doesn't seem.... pretentious enough.
    I think that for depersonalisation reasons they would've reduced her to one name long ago in training. Normally the military calls everyone by last name, but maybne she isn't sure where the name "Metea" (pronounced like Medea) comes from. In any case she would've been called Commander Metea for the last few years, and be known by that name. (I assume that Commander is basically one step below general - if that is wrong let me know.) Now that she has broken ties with the empire she has dropped the title but still goes by the only name she's ever had.

2. Keep in mind the sacrifice involved in using fire magic on a regular basis to help others. Remember using fire magic is unnatural and uncomfortable to you.
    Yeah but I've been trained for years to use it. At this point it should be as natural as swinging my sword. Or are you saying it's unnatural because it's specifically fire magic? I didn't think of that. Is there a mechanic against me using fire magic, or just a RP factor?

3... I was going to change a few details, but decided that I would prefer to run with the fledgling resistance angle. Just note that there were no actual clerics, just people who worshipped the old gods. Naturally, they were being held to prolong thier suffering before their execution, or for more nefarious purposes.

With a possible exception if one of the other players wants to play a cleric.
    Sweet!

ap
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Or are you saying it's unnatural because it's specifically fire magic? I didn't think of that. Is there a mechanic against me using fire magic, or just a RP factor?
    Mostly just an RP factor.
    You must have missed that, with all the other stuff we were talking about:

As a ice/water elemental bloodline sorcerer, given the backstory for that, you cannot summon fire elementals, and you cannot cast elemental body to turn into a fire elemental. I am not otherwise mechanically restricting fire spells, although casting them makes you feel uncomfortable, RP-wise.
    I think that for depersonalisation reasons they would've reduced her to one name long ago in training. Normally the military calls everyone by last name, but maybne she isn't sure where the name "Metea" (pronounced like Medea) comes from.
    The empire actually tends to cultivate a certain amount of arrogance in their officers and ... special projects. Think of it as having been groomed to be a card-carrying villain.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2009-03-17 at 02:39 PM.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Ouch, I hadn't noticed that. My apologies.

Well if that's your house rule then I'll live with it. I will take the opportunity to point out, however, that by RAW even an actual water elemental with spellcasting ability could use Elemental Body to turn into a fire elemental. It's a spell, not a bloodline ability, and it turns the subject into the desired type of elemental regardless of the subject's starting type.

On the other hand I kind of like the idea of not being able to turn into the opposite element. Although I originally wanted to go with Cold elemental simply for flavour reasons, not to limit my options. I wonder what you think of this...

Replace Fire Elemental with Lightning Elemental for purposes of my Elemental Body options.

All fire-themed powers would change to electric-themed. Cold vulnerability would remain (cold temperatures do actually interfere with electrical conduction).

The Extraodinary ability Burn (given here for your convenience)
    Spoiler
    Show

Burn (Ex)
    A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental’s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. The save DC varies with the elemental’s size (see table). A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Would change to Shock:
    Spoiler
    Show

Burn (Ex)
    A lightning elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus electric damage from the elemental’s highly charged body. Those hit by a lightning elemental’s slam attack also must succeed on a Fortitude save or be stunned. The stun effect lasts for 1d3 rounds. The save DC varies with the elemental’s size (see table). A stunned creature can attempt a new save each round to shake off the effect early. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Your thoughts?

edit: She will definitely be the aloof sort. And not so good at talking about her (new and seemingly alien) emotions. They pushed her too far and her cold shell broke, but she still has a way to go before she can be fully "human."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-17 at 02:45 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I will take the opportunity to point out, however, that by RAW even an actual water elemental with spellcasting ability could use Elemental Body to turn into a fire elemental.
    Normally, yes. This would not be a true statement in this campaign, however. If you were fire elemental bloodline, you would not be able to cast elemental body to become a water elemental, and so on for the other elements.

It is a plot-based restriction, and I hope it isn't too limiting. Calling all fire spells off limits would be too much, so there is just the RP restriction of it being uncomfortable to use fire magic.

I don't really want to create a lightning form for water bloodline's fire substitute, because then I would have to create an earth form substitute for air, an air form sub for earth, and a water form sub for fire.

If you think there is a balance issue there, I would be more than happy to give you Energy Substitution (cold) as a bonus feat special ability (that way it doesn't increase your casting time).

Of course, all the other elemental bloodlines would get that as well for their associated energy types.

Something to keep in mind, from an IG perspective, all of your spells are bloodline abilities. For the most part, but the part that isn't most is plot.

Also, I've kind of already tweaked the bloodlines a bit based on your desire to be an ice bloodline.

How about this for a compromise. Instead of ice form replacing water form, it is an extra option. so your elemental body options are ice, water, air, or earth.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Refresh me on what energy subsitution does - I already have cold subbed in for fire on many of my bonus spells as a class ability so I think it might be redundant.

I don't really want to create a lightning form for water bloodline's fire substitute, because then I would have to create an earth form substitute for air, an air form sub for earth, and a water form sub for fire.
    Not really. First off you don't have any PCs using the other elemental bloodlines so it will probably never come up. And if it were to come up, you'd already have two extra elemental types (ice and lightning) that you could allow the person to sub instead of their forbidden element.

I don't feel you're being too heavyhanded, and I appreciate the tweaking you've already done. I'm giving up quite a bit just by focusing on cold damage in an undead campaign, though, so I'm just trying to work out an equitable balance.

ap

edit: as a side-thought, I don't think I've ever put this much thought into a character before. It's kind of cool. Thanks for putting up with me,.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-03-17 at 04:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

That would be true, except that by playing an elemental bloodline, you have pretty much activated a plotline involving elementals and other elemental bloodlines.

I was actually thinking of doing that though. But lightning form would be an extra option for air, acid for earth, and fire... just gets screwed in that department, I guess.

It had not yet occured to me the difficulties in running a cold mage in an undead heavy setting. But cold immunity is not a universal undead trait (although it is a common one).

Might not be unreasonable to take an anti-undead or undead controlling spell of some kind. Is command undead still a spell in pathfinder?

edit: as a side-thought, I don't think I've ever put this much thought into a character before. It's kind of cool. Thanks for putting up with me,.
    This is probably the most well-developed campaign setting I have ever run. I am glad it is bringing out the creative genius in others as well.

Re: Other forum issues

What are your thoughts on using a yahoo group? Do you have access to yahoo from work? I know my yahoo access is restricted, but I can still access groups.

Other option:
    http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards...PostDiscussion
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2009-03-17 at 04:34 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    That would be true, except that by playing an elemental bloodline, you have pretty much activated a plotline involving elementals and other elemental bloodlines.

I was actually thinking of doing that though. But lightning form would be an extra option for air, acid for earth, and fire... just gets screwed in that department, I guess.
    Well with 2 extras you don't really HAVE to stat anymore. I mean, people who can't use Air or Fire can use lightning, people who can't use Earth or Water can use Cold. It works out pretty well.

It also is a little more flavourful, as I don't know of any real-world cultures that view acid (or any kind of corrosive chemical) as a fundamental building block of the world. Lightning sure, I've seen that in African cultures and certainly the Chinese stuff. Cold, a little harder to come by, but I've seen it.

Likewise there's no need to write Sonic in. Unless you're doing a Hindu campaign and it can make or detroy all other elements.

So I would say with Lightning and Cold as backups you could cover all 4 Greek elements. Or one day you might get bored and stat out an Acid elemental (yikes). Personally I'd go with Light or Dark instead, but whatever.

It had not yet occured to me the difficulties in running a cold mage in an undead heavy setting. But cold immunity is not a universal undead trait (although it is a common one).

Might not be unreasonable to take an anti-undead or undead controlling spell of some kind. Is command undead still a spell in pathfinder?
    It is in there, and I intend to take it for sure. It just seems like good policy for any imperial officer.

This is probably the most well-developed campaign setting I have ever run. I am glad it is bringing out the creative genius in others as well.
    I'm glad to hear it is so well-developed. I look forward to learning more about the world.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

re. your edit -

Wow, our employers must use the same internet blocker. Surfcontrol by chance?

Anyway, yahoo groups are fine by me. I also notices that the Myth-Weavers forums are relatively vanilla looking and thus easy to handle at work, with the added benefit of also being a general gaming forum, sheet storage site, etc.

ap

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Websense actually, but webmail is a common thing for employers to not want you to do at work.

i'll look at mythweavers.

wow! somebody is using my name at mythweavers! that is a first for me
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2009-03-17 at 04:45 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Oi! I think I misunderstood something.

I thought you were balking at adding lightning elementals because of the stat-work involved in making other alternate elementals. Hence my points above.

But re-reading it I realise it is more because of the plot re-write involved in the elemental backstory. That could be more of a pain.

If you decide not to allow lightning substitution, what do you say to this: my elemental body spells disallow fire elementals, allow earth/air as usual, and allow "ice" elementals at +1 size category?

So Skjaldbakka is taken? Are you sure you didn't sign up there a long time ago and forget? What does the name mean? I've always assumed it's from Norse mythology but outside of Egil's Saga I'm not too familiar with that stuff.

ap

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13215

actually, I had just signed up for an account and forgotten I had. I had checked my old e-mail, and that wasn't valid, but when I checked my current e-mail, i got a reply. furthere discussion on the new thread?
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: