New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Sci Fi Channel rebranding to become SyFy

The Sci Fi Channel is rebranding to SyFy. The reasoning:

“The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular,” said TV historian Tim Brooks, who helped launch Sci Fi Channel when he worked at USA Network.

“When we tested this new name, the thing that we got back from our 18-to-34 techno-savvy crowd, which is quite a lot of our audience, is actually this is how you’d text it,” Mr. Howe said. “It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip, which was kind of bang-on what we wanted to achieve communication-wise.”

Source: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/s...to_shed_ge.php

Seriously though, if you want to separate yourself from the word Sci-Fi, do not use something that is pronounced the same way =P Use something like SF. I doubt it'll make much of a difference. If you have good programming, people will come.
    Last edited by Joran; 2009-03-17 at 11:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sci Fi Channel rebranding to become SyFy

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    “The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular,” said TV historian Tim Brooks, who helped launch Sci Fi Channel when he worked at USA Network.

“When we tested this new name, the thing that we got back from our 18-to-34 techno-savvy crowd, which is quite a lot of our audience, is actually this is how you’d text it,” Mr. Howe said. “It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip, which was kind of bang-on what we wanted to achieve communication-wise.”
    So the fact that SyFy is exactly how someone would text it was the clincher? What exactly does that do to help separate them from the negative stereotypes again?

Seriously though, if you want to separate yourself from the word Sci-Fi, do not use something that is pronounced the same way =P Use something like SF. I doubt it'll make much of a difference. If you have good programming, people will come.
    Too bad we're talking about a network that has historically crushed good programming or otherwise tried to get rid of it as soon as it started to show the slightest hint of popularity: Dresden Files, SG-1...

I wish they'd actually go back to the channel's roots more than anything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Sci Fi Sy Fy: where good policy decisions go to die.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sy-Fy: "**** the letter C."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

That description of the Sci-Fi channel's current audience sounds a lot like me.

The thing is, they say it like it's a bad thing.
    The Chronicles of Jakwin A 3.5 D&D Campaign Setting.

avatar is a cool guy eh can bend air and doesn't afraid of anything

Don't say anything. I think my avatar might be the Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6

Way to alienate your audience sci-fi SyFi
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Way to alienate your audience sci-fi SyFi
    What audience?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I have never hated the SciFi channel as much as I do now.

SyFy? Seriously?

It makes "the Wii" sound like a bit of genius.

And I refused to say that name for weeks.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Battlestar Galactica ends on Friday. After that, who cares about SciFi anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

You know, I can't remember the last time I watched that station (I'm not a BSG fan)

However, due to the name change, I'm going to watch regulary. Obviously, their marketing people have convinced me that the inspired name change shows a commitment to to something or another

Still, I'd think that their demographics would be alright. Engineers and computer science people do make good money.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

They get as much if an engineer watches the channel as if in art major does. The broader the appeal they can get, the better.

This is still a stupid move.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

in the long history of cable channels making bad decisions.. this is one of them

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have a great idea! Let's gravely insult our viewers and get a new name that sounds just like our current name, but incredibly stupid!"

"You mean we can do both at the same time? Awesome! Let's do it!"

Ah, you americans... In my country, we have a science fiction channel that appreciates its viewers, and has good shows.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

tongue Re: Sci Fi Channel rebranding to become SyFy

SyFy channel: **** our target demographic!

I remember in one of their "original movies", Beowulf had a rocket launcher. that's so pathetic and infuriating, it's funny.

"original" being in quotes because all of their movies are bastardizations and "movies" being in quotes because while you can watch them, any entertainment derived from them will be from how bad they are.

I remember one of my friends saying "why don't they just take all the money they spent on this movie and give it to me. their returns would be just as good."
    Last edited by Tensu; 2009-03-16 at 01:45 PM.
    Permissum Haud Malum Sto!

I'm used to forums where everyone attacks me for no particularly explained reason, and claims I said things I never said. as a result, I may take comments that are not directed at me as directed at me. If I do so, I offer my sincerest apologies in advance.

15. - Top - End - #15

I mentioned this to a friend of mine. Her first response: "Maybe they're afraid of the false advertisement suits they were sure to incur?"
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

This is the stupid. Why would they want to get away from their target demographic. They are only going to piss people off.

But, they stopped making sci-fi movies anyway. They've been trying to package different monster-horror movies as sci-fi. I haven't seen an honest to goodness sci-fi movie on it {that is original} in a long while.

Sci-Fi movies are like 2001, NOT Star Wars.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

We are talking about AXN Sci-Fi ? Heck, I wantch it every day. Things like "The Outer Limits" are too entertaining to miss.

So now, spelling stuff wrongly will get you a broader audience ? Yeah, I bet the less intelectually inclined will enjoy it now. /sarcasm
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    I mentioned this to a friend of mine. Her first response: "Maybe they're afraid of the false advertisement suits they were sure to incur?"
    This would be true, except Cartoon Network has been running live action movies...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that...
    Maybe 99% of the original programming on your channel is associated with that, yes, but that's your own fault for cranking out crap.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

What was that quote from that one SG-1 episode? "Marketing research tells us that shows with 'X' in the title get better responses," or something like that.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    What was that quote from that one SG-1 episode? "Marketing research tells us that shows with 'X' in the title get better responses," or something like that.
    I think it was "X-treme", but yeah.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

*Twitch*

Someone please tell me April came early this year?
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23

Scifi fans should have been worried when the execs put ECWrestling on at night. That's got to be one of the single biggest swings from health to network decay I've ever heard of. Now we have a name change whose only purpose is to step away from the supposed key demographic? This coming on the heels of BSG's and Atlantis' final seasons? (And somehow, I doubt the Brannon/Brega SG show will make it past the first thirteen eps...) Expect more garbage shows in the wake of this name swap.

Worse, I sense another name change coming soon, something along the lines of the infamous TNN/Spike switch a few years back where they went through three or four name and persona changes before settling on THE MAN'S CHANNEL, BRAH!! I give it a year and a half before we're watching the Super Network or some other crap-name-comic-book-testosterone-frat-gamer schlock the execs want to put in front of us.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

... Ow. That's painful.

Like with so many, we have a Canadian rough equivalent channel. "The Space Channel", which is a Science Fiction/Fantasy network.

It recognizes who exactly watches it, and isn't deeply ashamed of that fact. Nor does it take itself very seriously.

The name change is stupid, but the attitude is more stupid.

Yeah, it's a genre with a lot of weird fans that aren't very popular. And it's full of people who will actually get it if you put in something meaningful.

If your offering programming to a certain audience, you should respect it. Be proud of it. After all, they're the ones responsible for your existence.

I can't help but be reminded of that episode of the Boondocks about Black Entertainment Television. (Which to my understanding there is no rough, superior Canadian equivalent with a lower budget.) The premise of the episode was, "We here at BET hate Black People."

It's starting to sound like something like that would work equally well with Sy1337haxx0rS.

Which brings me to another point, maybe they should embrace their audience and have a program about programming! It could really surreal if it was ALSO science fiction.
    "Okay remember, the Romulan's tend to not declare their variables at the start of blocks. This is bad programming practice! Because it's hard to maintain, this is why we were able to lower their shields and transport a photon torpedo on their bridge!"
    "Um sir? Aren't we breaking a lot of copyright law here?"
    "Ensign, throw him out the airlock!"
    "Wait, are we Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica now?"
    "... You know, I forget."
    Last edited by Xuincherguixe; 2009-03-16 at 05:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

So let me get this straight. The Sci-Fi Channel executives have finally got it into their skulls that their programming is so abysmal that "Sci-Fi Original" has become a byword for "unwatchable ****pile" (much in the same way that "Lifetime Original" has become a byword for "unwatchable, misandrist ****pile"), and their idea of fixing this is to change the name of the station slightly.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

26. - Top - End - #26

So bad spelling is going to make it more attractive? I guess if you really like rap and hip hop, but otherwise it's just weird. I'm not really pissed off about this, as it's just a stupid name change. With any luck, they'll go back. I remember when KFC once started saying that it's "Kitchen Fresh Chicken." A couple months later, and that was completely gone, and it's Kentucky-fried again.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Warning: Link to TVTropes follows! Proceed at your own risk!

This sounds like a blatant case of Xtreme Kool Letterz.

I think they'll give up on this pretty fast, or that the channel will self-destruct as a result. No idea which.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Please tell me this is somebody's joke. Does anybody have a source for this info? The quote in the OP just doesn't sound like what a TV Exec would actually say.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like in order to avoid being labeled as the dork station, they came up with the dorkiest name I have ever heard.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I must retract my previous statement, as they're going to be airing Caprica. Nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing