New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 148 - TBfGK, Page 135

After viewing this panel, it looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

NICE.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Has no one else noticed Wanda's perfectly coherent speech? Either her earlier problems with speaking were primarily vocal, allowing her to form thoughts just fine in her head (which would be a pretty specific mental backlash), or establishing a new mental link has (at least temporarily) fixed her.

Is there any reason we have to limit caster links to three? That was sufficient for the earlier Eyemancy combo, but if this proves successful and short-term links can be broken without significant backlash, I think Jack will make an excellent (re-)addition to Maggie's link. He's another caster who's proven himself to be individually competent. Imagine a supposedly vast number of troops attacking the opponent that's actually just a few of Sizemore's strongest golems, the rest being Foolamancy creations, and as they hide among the illusions they get several kills, each instantly rising as an Uncroaked unit to tag along...
    Work in progress.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatum479 View Post
    Is there any reason we have to limit caster links to three?
    Yes.

"It's a risky and fragile spell, especially with three. Four can't even be done."

On another note, it wasn't until the fourth reading that I realized that the "So beautiful" comment was from Sizemore.
    Last edited by BurntOfferings; 2009-03-20 at 02:05 PM.
    I set off explosive runes this morning.

PbP Registration Entry

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I know they are all probably about to die anyway but still...

Doesn't anyone think that making a volcano erupt.

A volcano that they are standing right on top of...

That perhaps this isn't the smartest decision?

I have no idea how they expect to live though this.
    They are not just causing the volcano to explode. I think they are animating it as a super volcano golem.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Having taken a bit more time, here are some thoughts that come to mind:

1. The contrast of the melding in Erfworld and what is currently happening in OOTS is both amusing (in timing to have similar events overlapping) and a good contrast (in terms of the way its presented.) In both. the sum of the mages is far more than the individual parts, including the potential for violence.

2. It was mentioned that there were 2 caster merges (thinkamaster + 1 more). That sort of says the thinkamaster adds to the merged power beyond just allowing coordination between other members. So, we'll see what Maggie's part is in all this.

3. Wanda's slurring is gone as has been mentioned. Perhaps this is healing her if it was solely a magical remnant, but I recognized Wanda's symptoms in people who have had a stroke. She even indicated that the talking is hard, which isn't uncommon at all even if her faculties are recovered. We'll see what happens as they come out of it.

4. And yes, Wanda is waking the volcano, and you can expect Sizemore to help guide its output. Anyone up for a geyser taking out the archons sitting in the airspace directly above it who are out of move?

5. A good reason all the defenders are going to be in the dungeons, things will be getting rather hot on the surface.

I still love the art, the wonder of the casters themselves at what they are seeing and experiencing.

6. Someone dubbed the speckles in the volcano, gems. I don't know if they are as there are some overlapping some deep cracks (old tunnels collapsed by Sizemore?) If they were gems, they probably wouldn't be up at the cracks. That said, Rob and Jami often end up using such details later, so guess away.

7. As I said in my first post I assumed there was something to 'Callahans' beyond the Spider Robinson stories, but given his tendency to link people up, perhaps not.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fantastic page. I've read it over and over, and I get a shiver every time. Great update!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack R. Terrier View Post
    I'm just grateful that we don't have to see Sizemore's...uh, Titan.
    I don't know, I find Barbie anatomy more disturbing than male nudity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Actually, given who Maggie is supposed to be, I thought Callahan was a reference to her predecessor, James Callahan, who had to form a Coalition in the late 1970's.
    That's James Callaghan. Seems an unlikely reference.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

So is it just me or does Maggie look bored by all this?
    Last edited by User Name; 2009-03-20 at 03:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't know, I find Barbie anatomy more disturbing than male nudity.
    Me three!

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Quite possibly. If all she is doing is facilitating the linkage of the other two casters for this (she appeared to be useful in the other link, but not particularly in this one) then she's just... along for the ride here. What's exciting, other than the possibility of impending death? Heck, even that isn't necessarily a big deal to her if Sizemore (i.e. part of her mind) is convinced that he can guide the lava to protect them!
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

As much as the art blew me away, i'm surprised that Maggie wasn't featured, maybe her face superimposed over the scene. But i trust the authors to come up with a better and more satisfying idea.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I'd say that her detachment is serving her well. Under the best conditions, this must require a significant amount of skill, effort, and concentration. Doing this sort of mindbending after all that they've gone through already must be a strain on all of them and perhaps particularly on Maggie.
    Quo vadis?

13. - Top - End - #73

I would also suggest the "lack-of-more-than-2-thinkamancers-hands-to-hold-merging-casters-with" limitation.

Hopefully the uncroaked volcano won't fall apart in few turns just like common uncroaked. That would make things really BAD for GK.

And I must also say GREAT page.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

I saw those gems as individual units, like campfires or lights. I know it's not night, but there may be many lights in the tunnels. Oh well.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Well...
    I had been PLANNING on buying a copy of the story when it is published.
    But - after seeing THIS...

I will probably have to get two.

Wanda's looks improve every time.
    If finding a fictional character "hot" is wrong... my probation officer can't know abbout this.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's something vaguely sexual about the panel (and I don't mean the nudity or that Sizemore seems to be having some sort of orgasm in the bottom image).

Not a perfect analogy, but its almost like the two of them are coming together to create new life in the Volcano's womb-like magma chamber.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Great, great page. I have really liked the evolution of Art in this strip be it because the artist is getting better or as part of the overall narrative it all works out very well.

lot of great comments thus far. One thing that sprang to my mind was that the personalist meld is not an instantaneous event. Wanda and Sizemore are still referring to themselves as discreet entities (even if it is by their caster class). I'll be interested to see how this changes over time.

Maybe the font the indicates who is speaking/thinking will gradually merge into one font type.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Nice layout, very evocative.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    There's something vaguely sexual about the panel (and I don't mean the nudity or that Sizemore seems to be having some sort of orgasm in the bottom image).

Not a perfect analogy, but its almost like the two of them are coming together to create new life in the Volcano's womb-like magma chamber.
    I agree. 'Sexual' was the first word that came to mind, but it's not quite right...

It's more the kind of tension and energy that precedes a birth. More 'procreative' than 'sexual'.

Also, I love the way that the slightly different fonts emphasize and distinguish the personalities of of Sizemore and Wanda.

Between that and the facial expressions... the worry and dismay pre-linking, the intentness, sadness, rapture and glee in the link... I don't think the art of this page could be any better.

Jamie, you have outdone yourself again!
    Oh and Rob, the writing is excellent as well. Almost poetic.

20. - Top - End - #80

Default Re: Erfworld 148 TBfGK, page 135

Quote Originally Posted by rwald View Post
    I'm guessing that Callahan's is a reference to the series by Spider Robinson about a rather eccentric barkeep named Callahan and his equally unusual clientèle.
    Specifically, "The Mick of Time" from Callahan's Secret (originally published in AnalogSF).

21. - Top - End - #81

...it occurs to me that there is one major worry to this plan.

Once revivified, undead decay.
    That could be bad for your mountain fortress.

That, however, is a long term problem. Meanwhile... Anyone else here waded through Tad Williams trilogy Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn? It's time to see if a mountain can be made to dance.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 148 TBfGK, page 135

Looking at panel 3, presumably all 3 of them will get grey skin after the link?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm curious, are those orange yellow and purple dots gems?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhuhn View Post
    Am I the only one who gets the Goatse reference? Disturbing...
    awww everything is ruined forever

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

That....that went beyond strange for me. And the fact that I'M saying that means alot
    Never eat French fish. They're poisson.

Avatar by Elder Tsofu. May he forever be as awesome as he is when I typed this.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Callahan is a reference to the Spider Robinson series.

A running subplot through the stories is the characters occasional ability to mindlink together in order to deal with the odd genocidal alien attack.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firest View Post
    Callahan is a reference to the Spider Robinson series.

A running subplot through the stories is the characters occasional ability to mindlink together in order to deal with the odd genocidal alien attack.
    You say that, but when I google callahans I get

1. Callahan's General store
    2. Callahan's Siskiyou Lodge
    3. Callahan's Pub & Brewery
    4. Callahan's Bar and Grill
    5. Callahan's Place
    6. Callahan's Hot Dog Restaurant
    7. Callahan's of Calabash
    8. Bill Callahan on myspace
    9. Callahan's Cleveland diary
    10. Callahan's Lenexa sports bar restaurant

Don't see any mention of Spider Robinson at all until page 3. So I say if it is spider robinson, then it's not a great sound effect since it's not something that can be be expected to be known by the reader or easily looked up.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-03-21 at 12:54 AM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    You say that, but when I google callahans I get

1. Callahan's General store
    2. Callahan's Siskiyou Lodge
    3. Callahan's Pub & Brewery
    4. Callahan's Bar and Grill
    5. Callahan's Place
    6. Callahan's Hot Dog Restaurant
    7. Callahan's of Calabash
    8. Bill Callahan on myspace
    9. Callahan's Cleveland diary
    10. Callahan's Lenexa sports bar restaurant

Don't see any mention of Spider Robinson at all until page 3. So I say if it is spider robinson, then it's not a great sound effect since it's not something that can be be expected to be known by the reader or easily looked up.
    Well it is a pretty common name, but absent any other psychic or vulcanism related references to 'Callahan', Callahan's Cross Time Saloon and the various stories does make the most sense. While it may only be page 3 on google, its a pretty well known and influential set of stories in SF. Now if they start making toasts and tossing the shot glasses into the magma flow we'll know for certain :)

The only reason I asked about other references is that I'd forgotten about the mind melding stuff they do there (its been a little while since I've read them.)
    Last edited by Fez; 2009-03-21 at 12:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    Well it is a pretty common name, but absent any other psychic or vulcanism related references to 'Callahan', Callahan's Cross Time Saloon and the various stories does make the most sense. While it may only be page 3 on google, its a pretty well known and influential set of stories in SF. Now if they start making toasts and tossing the shot glasses into the magma flow we'll know for certain :)

The only reason I asked about other references is that I'd forgotten about the mind melding stuff they do there (its been a little while since I've read them.)
    Personally, I was thinking it must be Callahan's General Goods because they probably sell Wanda's tools there.

I read a lot of SF and Fantasy, been reading at least 100 books a year for 3 decades. While the name sounds familiar I don't remember ever seeing one of his books on the shelf and having to decide whether to read it or not. None of the book covers are even remotely familiar.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-03-21 at 01:25 AM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

I think this page would have been more exciting if the final line of 134 had been "thinkamancer, form a link with the croackamancer and the dirtamancer" rather than Parson giving away the plan to us totally.

But definitely one of the most interesting pages art-wise & it looks like Stanley might have a new source of money to rebuild if his side survives the eruption
    Avatar by SteveMB, from Erfworld (written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi)