New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Erfworld 148 - TBfGK, Page 135

It just struck me today that Parson might no longer have anyone to consult with or vent to, with Bogroll dead and the casters subsumed in the link.

With the eyebook hacked, I hope the trimancer can still exchange thinkagrams with Stanley / Jack.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thumbs up Re: Erfworld 148 - TBfGK, Page 135

Awesome comic !

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's definitely a Spider Robinson reference. Those books are amazing. If you haven't read them, you should.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Excellent page. And what's left of the RCC is sooooo screwed. The question is who is left to fight over GK?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't know, I find Barbie anatomy more disturbing than male nudity.

Well said! I find the barbie anatomy very jarring, especialy since posture could have been used to disguise it.

It's a bit like all the people who have no problem with Dr Manhatten exploding people into bloody goo, but freak out that they were 'forced' to look at his member.

Grow up! Half the human race have one!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If the mountain is about to be uncroaked, and the pliers turn most uncroaked into dust ... lateral thinking indeed.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    I agree. 'Sexual' was the first word that came to mind, but it's not quite right...

It's more the kind of tension and energy that precedes a birth. More 'procreative' than 'sexual'.

Also, I love the way that the slightly different fonts emphasize and distinguish the personalities of of Sizemore and Wanda.

Between that and the facial expressions... the worry and dismay pre-linking, the intentness, sadness, rapture and glee in the link... I don't think the art of this page could be any better.

Jamie, you have outdone yourself again!
    Oh and Rob, the writing is excellent as well. Almost poetic.
    Sexual is incorrect though sensual, intimate, and possibly even erotic may all be fairly good qualifying terms for the scene unfolding here, the two characters minds are joined in a way designed to cause pleasure AND facilitate spell casting. A metaphysical coupling like this is certainly interesting because we thought the link was fairly uncomfortable to the casters, however it seems like it's a rather pleasurable experience, no wonder there's psychic backlash when they leave...

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    Personally, I was thinking it must be Callahan's General Goods because they probably sell Wanda's tools there.

I read a lot of SF and Fantasy, been reading at least 100 books a year for 3 decades. While the name sounds familiar I don't remember ever seeing one of his books on the shelf and having to decide whether to read it or not. None of the book covers are even remotely familiar.
    As someone else said later, you should give them a try. I'm mixed on Robinson, but the Callahan's series is what made him as a writer. I am partial to the short stories from the era of Analog and other mags, so that's a plus as the stories derive from that background.

And its a shame how few books you see on the shelves these days in general. New SF/Fantasy is at a low point with romance/vampire/fantasy crossovers being far more popular, and older titles have a hard time getting a reprint unless one of a very small set of authors.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

i personally think that the callahan reference is about the Dark tower novels from Stephen king. *'spirit' travels and stuff like that (vadassh?)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Great page !

I just wonder how they can survive activating the volcano, as the lava might pass near the dungon
    the Dirtamancer could presumably redirect magma flows within the mountain by closing some passages and opening others.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Maggie's contribution to the link right now is allowing Wanda and Sizemore to see the entire mountain like that...

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I think Maggie's contribution to the link right now is allowing Wanda and Sizemore to see the entire mountain like that...
    But that would presumably be lookamancy.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    But that would presumably be lookamancy.
    I dunno, I'd be more inclined to think that this is their minds being projected. Lookamancy might let them see what's going on elsewhere, but I don't think it would be enough to let them extend their powers to that point.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dunno, I'd be more inclined to think that this is their minds being projected. Lookamancy might let them see what's going on elsewhere, but I don't think it would be enough to let them extend their powers to that point.
    Ahh, would make sense for thinkamancy, it moves/expands their minds so they can see the whole mountain, rather than lookamancy which would allow them see from their current position.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raphfrk View Post
    Ahh, would make sense for thinkamancy, it moves/expands their minds so they can see the whole mountain, rather than lookamancy which would allow them see from their current position.
    Or perhaps it's how a dirtamancer perceives their rocky surroundings, albeit enhanced by the link. The role of a thinkamancer in a link is the link itself, and possibly as a safe point of contact with the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by page 46
    Name? Just "Lookamancer" now. Was called "Misty."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    Well said! I find the barbie anatomy very jarring, especialy since posture could have been used to disguise it.

It's a bit like all the people who have no problem with Dr Manhatten exploding people into bloody goo, but freak out that they were 'forced' to look at his member.

Grow up! Half the human race have one!
    Parson's Klog mentions that Erfworlders just pop in like the food, fully formed with basic abilities. They may well not have sexual organs.
    Last edited by Efogoto; 2009-03-21 at 07:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

We've been through this already. Yeah, erflings don't procreate, but they do have sex. Jillian and Ansom have sex. Wanda and Stanley have Sex. Mung tells Wanda he has an erection.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

18. - Top - End - #108

Well, the Epic Soundtrack just kicked in. I'm hearing "Ave Fortuna" in my head.

And re: GK, all I could think of was to begin reciting Hail Marys.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

I just wanted to say...

Thank you. For the Callahan's reference. I was delighted to see it, and feel it complimented the comic perfectly.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree. 'Sexual' was the first word that came to mind, but it's not quite right...
    You are right, to anyone who has the image burned into their brain its GOATSE that comes to mind, I mean look at the hands at the bottom. And now that is forever how you will see this page.

And does anyone think that Charlie is going to interfere somehow? Maybe breaking the link too early?
    Last edited by Zorfa_Tamanjoir; 2009-03-22 at 01:59 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorfa_Tamanjoir View Post
    You are right, to anyone who has the image burned into their brain its GOATSE that comes to mind, I mean look at the hands at the bottom. And now that is forever how you will see this page.

And does anyone think that Charlie is going to interfere somehow? Maybe breaking the link too early?
    If that happens I give up.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I could see Charlie wanting to interfere, as an animated volcano would no doubt ruin his little plans to get his hands on Parson. Unfortunately the Archons are out of move and have no way of getting into the dungeon until the next day, and by then Parson will have had a full turn with his beast.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

I could see Charlie wanting to interfere, as an animated volcano would no doubt ruin his little plans to get his hands on Parson. Unfortunately the Archons are out of move and have no way of getting into the dungeon until the next day, and by then Parson will have had a full turn with his beast.
    But Charlie has hacked the Eye-books, and isn't he, by virtue of his artifact, the premier thinkamancer in the world? Maggie already mentioned that he could get into Parson's head, why not a weakened, casting-distracted Thinkamancer? Though no contact is being initiated from GK side.

24. - Top - End - #114

Or perhaps it's how a dirtamancer perceives their rocky surroundings, albeit enhanced by the link. The role of a thinkamancer in a link is the link itself, and possibly as a safe point of contact with the outside world.
    Agree. I also think that the joined mind is able to pour the power of three casters into doing what it wants to do at any one time, which had to begin with perceiving. Next, the trimancer will put all its power into animating the mountain, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Sexual is incorrect though sensual, intimate, and possibly even erotic may all be fairly good qualifying terms for the scene unfolding here, the two characters minds are joined in a way designed to cause pleasure AND facilitate spell casting. A metaphysical coupling like this is certainly interesting because we thought the link was fairly uncomfortable to the casters, however it seems like it's a rather pleasurable experience, no wonder there's psychic backlash when they leave...
    Yes, it looks like Maggie is managing the experience for maximum efficiency. Cold and efficient, she would torture them if she thought it would produce a better result, but casters are likely too complex and too cerebral for that to work well. Although, Wanda would probably like that too.

Word! Usually, when I see no-genitalia male figure it makes me fear for my own member, like it may disappear from too much sexless time in my books and blogs. That said, a neutered Sizemore did not bother me too much, because he is a rather neutered personality anyway. You can bet Wanda's self-image has all it's woman-parts.

Now, there you have really hit the nail on the head! It is a fundamental hypocrisy in Western civilization (not that others are better or worse) that violence is okay but sex is bad. All over the entertainment media people are shot, stabbed, killed, raped, and humiliated. Most of the imagery is directed at women, plenty toward men and even children are not safe. Sex is also depicted all over the place, but in a strangely repressed manner.

Do you remember the scandal around Janet Jackson's 2004 prime time boob exposure at the superbowl? Given the media frenzy at the time, it was like a giant tit-monster had loomed over the horizon and crushed America. The case is *still* in litigation!! Get over it, people, It's just a boob.

Finally, a prediction: The Arkenpliers will be used against the uncroaked lava-monster.

...off soapbox...
    Last edited by Goshen; 2009-03-22 at 05:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Speaking of getting creeped out, am I the only one that found Spider Robinson's stuff more and more creepy as time went by? He was a rabid fan of Heinlein, and seems to have had a similar progression as a writer. Start writing interesting fiction, then start bringing in weird elements, and end up with everyone f*cking their way to happiness and universal enlightenment. And I mean EVERYBODY. Your mother, your best friend, your dog...

Yuck.

I was cleaning out my bookshelf today, and just threw out all the Spider Robinson stuff, because it was so disturbing.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

I've only ever read his early Callahans stuff, but I've met him, back in the late 80's/early '90s. He's just slightly a hippy, and, um, yeah, so I'm not surprised his stuff has verged towards the odd since then. I'm sure his wife being a soto zen monk just helped that right along. :P I made the mistake of going to his "Spiders choice" video night at V-con one year, and it was.... arty and unengaging... To me, at least. So just enjoy that of his work that you can, and disregard the rest, however much or little that may be. No biggie. :)
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhuhn View Post
    Am I the only one who gets the Goatse reference? Disturbing...
    lol I'm thinkin that reference is all in your head, dude.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Um, seeing as how they don't reproduce the human way, I'm wondering if that is the natural representation of their genitalia.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Um, seeing as how they don't reproduce the human way, I'm wondering if that is the natural representation of their genitalia.
    Considering they don't nurse children, their females shouldn't have boobs either. It's trimanceric Volcanuncroakspell-O-Vision; not a documentary on Erfworldian anatomy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

But Charlie has hacked the Eye-books, and isn't he, by virtue of his artifact, the premier thinkamancer in the world? Maggie already mentioned that he could get into Parson's head, why not a weakened, casting-distracted Thinkamancer? Though no contact is being initiated from GK side.
    I think Charlie can only hack the Eye-books because they act as a medium for Thinkagrams. Or at least something similar to Thinkagrams. He can tap into them so he can have conversations with the holders without having to use an actual Thinkagram. I don't think they ever make it clear whether or not Charlie was able to access the notes Parson had put in there. Otherwise I think he needs to be closer to the target or have the target make contact with him first. The Arkendish would be just a little overpowered, especially for a mercenary, if he could tap into people's minds at will and make them do whatever he wants.