New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After the war

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: After the war

Adelard:
    Adelard examines the map for a moment, eyes straying towards the area of his former home, and stroking his bare chin for a second before replying.
    Sammet Castle, eh? I knew a bit about the area, though it might be a bit out of date.
    At this point, he looks at Kage in the eye.
    I assume that you'd rather us not announce our affiliations? And if we run into this wizard, are we free to engage him as we see best? Also, do we have any better descriptions of the heirlooms, or their precise locations?
    Last edited by MeklorIlavator; 2009-03-26 at 12:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kyrië looks up and stands up as Kage enters, a steely coldness immediately taking over his face to replace the expression from before. He listens intently, prickling all over at Kage's distaste of the group. When he asks if there were any questions, Kyrië gives the most imperceptible shake of the head and holds out his arm to Aetos, where he gladly swoops up to it. When do we leave and by what means of transportation? He says simply, as his wings begin to slowly beat, as if he were ready to take off.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

PM me for Uncrushed Banners

I'm taking a few avatar requests

Come one, show your appreciation with me for The_Chili_God

Sorry about the slow posting, peeps! Exams are starting to hit me...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

When Kage mentions his name, Esteban begins to mutter something quietly under his breath. Fredrick Kage... Kage... where have I heard that.... Shortly after Kage has finished the briefing, a look of recognition crosses Esteban's face.

Fredrick Kage? The Fredrick Kage? This is amazing. Someone was singing a song about you in the tavern the other night, slightly offkey, but still a wonderful story. Something about routing an army of kobolds... or was it orcs... when outnumbered nearly ten to one. Surely it must have been an exaggeration? It would take the divine intervention of the hosts of heaven to manage such a victory.
    PbP characters:

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rolec rises to greet Kage with a subtle nod, then joins the group to view the map.

As Esteban goes off on his hero worship tangent it is clear by the expression on Rolecs face that he disproves of such behavior, although he does not say anything.

Rolec motions to the door after Kyrië asks when we leave.

[ooc] I'm going for a Silent Bob kinda thing if anyone is curious[/ooc]
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacopo’s eyes widen in recognition as Frederic Kage enters the room. Though the young burglar has never met the grizzled commander, his reputation precedes him.

Listening attentively, Jacopo breaks into a mischievous yet innocent smile as Kage’s distaste for the informal arrangement becomes apparent. As the rest of the group voice their questions and comments, he studies the map carefully, trying to equate the distances depicted to what the travel will actually be like on the ground.

What is our time frame for this task? Also, do we get a small allowance to cover travel costs? He asks looking up at the commander.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-03-28 at 12:01 PM.
    When one has no form, one can be all forms.

Trinità Avatar by Mortugg

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As transport is mentioned, the grizzled soldier smiles evilly.

Well, luckily, a trade caravan is heading for the town this very day. Unfortunately, five of their guards have mysteriously accumulated unmanageable gambling debts last night,as well as getting spectacularly drunk, and will have to spend a week with free room and board, courtesy of the Order of St-Cuthbert. The caravan master is staying at the "Pickled Hog", in the trade sector, you will go find him, and say you heard he needed hired thugs, and that you want the job. It won't pay a lot, but it will give you both a cover and a means of travel. After that, the caravan job should be enough to buy a few horses and come back to Venice, if not, well the castle has become the lair of a few nasty critters, the kind that tend to accumulate treasure. Nothing that should give you trouble, a small tribe of kobold according to our intelligence. That's why time is running out, right now the town's resources are focused on orcs in the nearby mountains, but as soon as that's done with the kobolds will be next in line.

If the wizard becomes troublesome, you are not prohibited from eliminating him, but it would be rather unfortunate, just ask him to read the auras of your weapons that were given to you by the Companies when you signed in, it should be enough to convince him that you work for Venice, and he knows bothering us for a few heirlooms is not worth his life.

Oh and Esteban, it was orcs, and we beat them because we were better, more disciplined, and because we had a vat of sovereign glue and a few barrels of rum. Most of all, we were disciplined, soldiers.

From a bag on his belt, he takes out a few items and puts them on the table.

We have not been able to find you a dedicated healer, though 3 of you have some skills in that area, therefore, I picked up a wand that Esteban here should be able to use, 50 charges I am told. Also, I have here a map of the castle as our client remembers it, with the location of the treasure marked by the red "X", because there's not call to argue with tradition. Also, I have here another wand, this one holds 5 charges of what I'm told the mages call a earthcrafting spell or something like that, in case the mechanism on the secret door has been tempered with, and you need to melt the door in a hurry. Finally, this ring will allow you to communicate with me for five minutes, once, so only use it if you have succeeded of if the whole mission ass gone FUBAR, to activate it just put it on, and I will be able to talk to you like I was there. Please refrain from using before sunup.

Anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #37

'Earthcrafting'..? Kyrië grabs his coat and moves over to Kage to inspect the wand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic on the wand for as many rounds as it takes to understand what it does.

So we're to convince the caravan driver to let us work for him, he repeats, attempting to clarify the situation. At this last he smooths his hair back in a motion trying to say 'That'll be easy', Make some money on the way and convince the wizard to hand over the heirlooms? Shouldn't be a problem. Everybody ready? He adds, turning to the group.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hum..... Actually that's not it at all.... the wizard has yet to claim the castle, a small tribe of kobold live there, or at least they did a month ago when we last had word from the place. The caravan is your cover story, your reason for being there in the first place, then you head for the castle, find the treasure, and get out, hopefully without attracting notice. However, if he becomes a problem, you are authorized to tell him this is official Venice business, and if he likes his head where it is he would do well to let you be.

Detect magic: It's an arcane wand with a caster level higher then 9.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Adelard:
    Sounds good. If that's we should probably be off.
    If no more objections are raised, Adelard exits the building, heading off towards the Trade sector and the Pickled Hog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Were we told to come in full gear? I'm assuming so, but if not my post would change slightly(I'd be heading off to get the rest of my gear first).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Esteban takes the wand offered to him by Kage, sticking it into a small pouch hanging on the side of his belt.

"Sovereign glue and rum? Now I have to hear the full story." Esteban watches as Adelard leaves the room. Although it seems we have work to do. If God is willing, maybe you could tell me the full tale over a glass of wine upon our return." Giving a curt bow, Esteban turns and begins walking towards the door. He's nearly out of the room when he suddenly turns back, as if he's forgotten something. "Oh! The wand you gave me... do you know what effect it has? Though the Lord might forgive me, I doubt I could do the same if it were to bring harm to my companions."

Spoiler
    Show
    After his question is answered, Esteban also leaves for the trade sector, running to try and catch up with Adelard and anyone else that might leave before he does.
    PbP characters:

11. - Top - End - #41

Rolec motions to Adelard to allow him to have a look at the wand...

Then, following his inspection of the wand and a respectful nod to Kage, he follows the other two out of the room and two the Hog.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

12. - Top - End - #42

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the spell reveal nothing more? It says in the description that over a couple of rounds it shows what type of magic or something along those lines...

After Kyrië has said his goodbyes, he leaves the building with Aetos on his shoulder and heads straight for the Pickled Hog.

When he gets there, he walks up to the barman and leans in closely. I'm looking for a caravan master urgently, I was told I could find him here. Do you know if he's staying with you?

Spoiler
    Show
    If the innkeeper decides not to tell Kyrië, he will then cast a Charm Person (DC 17), then repeating the question. If he genuinely does not know, determined by the Sense Motive below, he will thank him and look around the room, trying to size up anyone who might look like a caravan master...

Sense Motive - (1d20+2)[19]
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking the map of the castle, Jacopo studies it briefly before stashing it away. Nodding his assent to Kyrië’s question, he follows the others as they leave the meeting room, stopping briefly to collect his gear from the landlord before joining the group at the “Pickled Hog”.

As Kyrië questions the barman, Jacopo discretely surveys the common room, eyeing the other patrons and trying to decide if any of them could be the caravan master they are searching for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if this would be appropriate, but here goes a spot check: (1d20+9)[18]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Meklor: That would depend, many people carry weapons in the streets, but only watchmen routinely wear armor (other than a chain shirt under a jerkin for the most paranoids). However, there's not prohibition against it.

Jocopo:

-The map is fairly detailed, though drawn from memory, it shows a medium sized castle/manor, along with the basement. In the basement, there is a red cross with a set of instructions regarding access to a secret chamber. On the back is a drawing of the objects you are looking for.

-There are many richly dressed merchants surrounded by a few hard looking guards each in the common room, and many are doing shots at the bar, looking distraught, but whether from a lack of mercenaries or loosing a cards you cannot say

Kyrië:
    The barkeep looks up from his taps and takes the androgynous druid in with a slightly surprised look on his face, though he must see stranger sights every day. He chuckles a bit a the question.

Right now, lad?, we have half a dozen caravan master in, if not more, the is a very popular establishment among the merchant class, you'll have to be more precise.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Overhearing the barman’s reply, Jacopo turns from his scrutiny of the locale and gives Kyrië a small shake of the head before addressing the man across the bar, his face breaking into a smile.

Good day sir. My friends and I are out of work. We hear one of your patrons is a caravan master who is five men short just when he is about to leave Venice… Such rotten luck, especially this time of year when the roads are crawling with footpads and highwaymen…

Jacopo shakes his head in commiseration at the caravan master’s misfortune, before looking up again and giving the barman his widest and warmest smile.

However, a man’s ill-fortune often proves to be the next man’s good luck. The five of us are currently twiddling our thumbs here in Venice, so we are hoping to get some honest employment and fresh air out of the city. If you could point us out to the caravan master we seek, you would have our gratitude.

Slipping a few gold coins across the counter with a smooth, practiced movement, Jacopo adds helpfully. I believe this particular caravan is headed out for Germany…

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if it is needed, but here goes a Gather info check: [roll0]

16. - Top - End - #46

Kyrië smiles at barman's confusion, but then frowns when he displays the amount of caravan masters present. Seeing Jacopo approach, he steps aside a little, letting him do the work. Just to add to the politeness and request, Kyrië steps in at the end and simply says, It would be such a great help for all of us, saturating the words with as much emphasis, passion and emotion as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[8]
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The barman looks weirdly at the druid before palming the coin and answering Jocopo

Oh, you mean old Olben's caravan? He's right over there. And is your friend all right, he seems a bit constipated?

He points at a weary looking merchant, drinking himself into oblivion with a determined look on his face. As you approach, you can hear him mumbling in his ale:

Silk, steel, smoked venison, salted cod, furs, jewels... and so on and so forth.

Once you get next to him, he looks up balefully from his drink

What d'you want?

Despite his clothing, he hardly fits the stereotype of the fat merchant. He has a long face with sunken but bright eyes, a pointed beard, and his well muscled arms are covered with scars.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jacopo looks in the direction indicated by the barman, before replying with a dismissive wave of the hand to the man’s question. Oh him? Nothing to worry about, he’s just very excited. Thanks for the help.

As the group approaches the merchant, Jacopo leans close to Kyrië. Don’t overdo it, you’ll attract more attention this way… try to relax. He says quietly, as he seizes up the merchant.

As the man looks up at the group, Jacopo steals a furtive look to Esteban and Abelard, asking with a slight tilt of the head whether one of them wants to take care of the introductions.

19. - Top - End - #49

Kyrië's eyes widen at the barman. Wha-? Constipated! Oh I'll show you.

His fingers dexterously weave up and down over his palms as he mutters a few words. As he finishes, he makes a small flicking gesture at the barman and light purple sparkles fly at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Person, DC 17. It's done from pretty close, so it shouldn't be too visible, but if you want I could make a Sleight of Hand check.

Kyrië does not even wait to see if the spell has taken hold, but instead whirls round and moves to stand over the merchant. When the caravan master stops talking to himself, Kyrië listens to Jacopo's advice grudgingly, disappointed at his failed attempts at charming others. Instead holds out his arm for Aetos to perch and begins to pet him, never taking his eyes off the merchant.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-04-02 at 12:14 PM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Rolec Nods reverently to the Bartender after he points out Olben. As the others go off to approach the Caravan Master Rolec motions to the bartender grasping an invisible cup and swilling from it holds up six fingers and then points to the table where the caravan master is sitting. Clearly ordering 6 mugs of ale for his companions and the caravan master.

He then goes to join the others at the table.

21. - Top - End - #51

After Rolec joins them, Kyrië catches Jacopo's look and turns to face the merchant properly. Greetings there, I believe you are Olben? Without waiting for confirmation, Kyrië continues, I am Kyrië Lymnon, this is Jacopo di Choggia and this is Rolec Selar. We are travelers looking for a caravan heading towards Germany and we were told you were in need of workers. We have another two companions, all young, strong lads. So, what do you say? He flashes him a smile of sharp, pure white teeth.

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[21]
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

A bit direct as a sale pitch... Revealing our need to go to Germany could weaken his bargaining position... still, let's see how Kyrië pulls it off.

The youthful face not giving any hint of his thoughts, Jacopo merely smiles politely and nods as Kyrië introduces the party, happy to let the druid take the lead.
    Last edited by Lukmar; 2009-04-02 at 04:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Esteban bursts through the tavern doors and seeing the others surrounding a man at the bar, marches towards them. As he speaks, it is clear that he has been running, his breathing quick and deep.

"I look away for one moment... and gone... all of you gone..." He leans forward, placing his hands on his knees and doing his best to catch his breath. "And to a tav... tavern of all places... I live for taverns... the drink, the song, the interesting people." Seeming to have settled slightly, he raises back up to his full height, only now seeing the merchant clearly. "Speaking of which, who is our new friend and why haven't we bought him a fresh drink yet?"

Spoiler
    Show
    You only get one first impression .
    Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[26]
    Last edited by PrivatePlatypus; 2009-04-02 at 06:37 PM.
    PbP characters:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A variety of emotions clash on the drunk merchant's face, surprise, hope, disbelief, and finally suspicion. He excuses himself and returns a minute later, face and hair wet but looking more alert.

Going to the land of the Kaisers are you? I know for sure I could use the help, and you seem eager enough, but I have to know. What are you running from? You lot don't have the look of caravan guards, too finely dressed, too eager, except for your silent dwarf friend. Therefore, you must be running from something, and to gods forsaken Germany, the place of the hour to get lost for a few years. I don't really care what your reason is, but I have to know I'm not harboring fugitives. If you satisfy me, the pay is 15 gold, food provided, plus 2 gold and your share of the spoils each fight we get in.

25. - Top - End - #55

Our business is our own, but it is your right to know whether we bode ill or good. We are not fugitives, nor outlaws of any kind, and you have nothing to worry about from a legal perspective. We're not running from anyone, we are going to Germany of our own free will. A smile bubbles up yet again to keep the merchant on good terms.

Appraise for amount of pay - (1d20+0)[1] ((Oh great...))

Seeing Esteban walk in, Kyrië turns to him to introduce him. Ah, and here is our fourth member, Esteban. Esteban, this is Olben, the caravan master and now our employer.
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-04-03 at 03:41 AM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Rolec shows a scowl as Olben says silent Dwarf thinking the Olben was referring to him. However that quickly fades into a slightly confused look whit him him motioning that he was tall and slender rather than short and fat. As Rolec's arms spread to indicate the fat portion of that thought the back of his hand smacks Adelard in the mouth. Rolec looks down to see the top of the Dwarf's head and the look of confusion instantly changes to one of understanding as he points to the actual dwarf and begins to nod fervently.

Rolec stands in the middle of the group of adventurers, and begins to speak " Sir we are trav", but interrupts his words to hand the caravan master back the manifest that had teleported into his hand. Rolec then spreads his arms wide to encompass the group and swings his hands together. He then makes a walking gesture with his index and middle fingers of his left hand and points to the north with his right. After a second or so he smacks his chest a few times and then raises one hand to his face and holding his fingers together he spreads them from his thumb and contracts them back to his thumb. Rolec then raises both of his hands into the air explosively. After a second to let that point sink in he grasps his chin between his thumb and index finger and ***** his head inquisitively. Rolec points to the north again and then waves his hands around randomly for a moment before raising his right index finger beside his face with a shocked but knowing look on his face. Rolec shrugs his shoulders and returns to his place quietly near the back of the group.

[ooc] Rolec is trying to convey that whenever he speaks weird things happen and that the group was going to Germany because the somewhat erratic nature of magic in Germany at this particular time may provide him a clue into why these things happen. Of course Rolec has complete control over his magic.[/ooc]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Esteban flinches slightly at the merchant's question, keeping quiet for the most part and nodding in agreement with Kyrië's explaination. He does his best to mask his true feelings on the matter and avoid attention.

Bluff to hide his reaction - (1d20+12)[26]
    Appraise for the merchant's pay - (1d20+10)[17]
    PbP characters:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Adelard:
    Adelard listens with horrid fascination to Kyrië's attempts to dig himself out of the whole he seemed to have dug for himself, finally deciding to intercede after Rolec's gesturing.
    Oh, yes, the land of the Kaiser's is no place to wonder around in, but that's partly why I wish to go there. I left shortly after the war began, and not all of my kin left with me. Recently, I've heard that some may still be alive, but I worry as to there conditions. Therefore I decided to go and verify the rumors, and if they're true, offer my kin a way out, if they so wish. No man goes alone, however, so I've been trying to find a caravan heading up that way, and your's seems to fit the bill.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, if you want it:(1d20+10)[16]

Sorry I didn't post yesterday: I though that the boards were down.

29. - Top - End - #59

Kyrië lets Adelard take over after a quick introduction and gesture, Adelard Kranet..., realising that the topics surrounding Germany were better in his hands. He resorts to alternating between stroking Aetos, gazing around the inn, and paying attention to the conversation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hole, what hole?
    Last edited by Ethrael; 2009-04-04 at 09:04 AM.
    Also known as Eđræl

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You're odd ones aren't you? But I'm satisfied, I take it you don't work as a team? Anyways, the rest of my guards are staying at a tavern nearby, you might as well go there for the night. It's the Song and Bucket, tell the landlord you work for me now, and show up tomorrow 2 hours after sunup at the trade gate. Now that I'm going, I'll go to sleep now, so if all's ok with you, good night.