New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [Creature] I spit my last breath at thee...

Headhunter

An eerie gibbering comes from the depths of the jungle, almost overpowering the sound of leaves rustling. A great mass of weathered heads tied together by their hair then rolls into view...

Tiny Undead (swarm)
    Hit Dice: 8d12 (52 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+2 dexterity, +6 natural, +2 size), touch 14, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-
    Attack: Swarm (2d6 plus disease)
    Full Attack: Swarm (2d6 plus disease)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Distraction, headhunt, spat upon, tangle
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., swarm traits, undead traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Skills: Climb +11, Hide +21, Listen +12, Search +14, Spot +12
    Feats: Ability Focus (spat upon), Improved Turn Resistance, Lightening Reflexes
    Environment: Warm Forest
    Organization: Swarm
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
    Advancement: None
    Level Adjustment: -

A headhunter swarm appears as a jumbled collection of insanely howling humanoid heads that are somewhat shrunken and wrinkled. Their hair has been dreadlocked and then tied and woven together into an impenetrable tangle.

Headhunters are the result of sadistic witch doctors of warring tribal faction with necromatic powers. After an entire village or army has been slaughtered their heads are gathered together and cursed to endlessly patrol their enemy's lands and sacred areas.

Headhunters speak Common, Infernal and Abyssal.

Combat
    A headhunter swarm tends to lie low and unmoving amidst the thick growth of the land they guard. When they sense an intruder approaching they then screech to life, trying to roll over their victim, entrapping them inside as they tear and chomp with their rotten teeth. If their victim is particularly difficult to obtain or threatens to destroy them they spit upon it, dooming it to a fate worse than death.

Disease (Ex): Filth fever, Fortitude DC 14, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 14) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Headhunt (Ex): Those whom die in the grip of a headhunter swarm have their head removed while the rest of the body is devoured. The head is then animated and combines with the mass, increasing the swarm's HP total by 2 for each HD the victim had in life.

Spat Upon (Su): Once per day as standard action a headhunter swarm together my spit upon a single creature within 10 feet as a ranged touch attack. If struck, an individual of 6 HD or less is doomed to suffer death in some horrible manner before the day is through. Creatures with higher HD may attempt a DC 17 will save each day to put off the curse. A Remove Curse spell has a chance of dispelling the curse, though the caster must make an opposed caster level check against the headhunter's HD.

Those whom die rise up as a zombie unless special measures are taken, under the direct control of the swarm. If the swarm is defeated it becomes but a mindless wanderer, following the last command given by the swarm. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Tangle (Ex): Those whom occupy the swarm's space at the start of the headhunter's turn must make a DC 16 reflex save or be caught up and entangled within a hairy grip. Those caught can attempt to make an Escape Artist check (DC 20) each round to free themselves. For each round they remain within the DC increases by 1 as they are further entangled. The save DC is Dexterity based.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2006-10-31 at 10:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] I spit my last breath at thee...

:o

Wierd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

This seems almost like it belongs in one of the Scary Movies. Can they do it through a telephone?

4. - Top - End - #4

Alas, poor Yorich, I knew him well... and Augustus too, and Errol, and... my, there are a lot of you, aren't there? What? No... nooo!!!

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

It's unclear from your description just how the spitting works; while you say "doomed to die" it's unclear what you mean when you go on to say that creatures with more than 6 HD can make a will save each day... Do you mean that it's a curse such that *if* that character dies he rises as a zombie, until either the save's made or the curse removed or it takes effect? Or does it instantly slay anything with 6 HD or less?
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

*shivers*

geez thats crazy..

might add how much time it takes for a head to be added into the swarm because in the middle of a battle 12+ hit points can be a big downer..
    We dont make bombing runs with \"Bigby\'s Crushing Tactical Nuke\". Unless we have a pool going as to who can get the closest to the target.&&&&No You will not use Unseen Servant in that manner. I don\'t care if it feels nice.&&&&avatar by dispozition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Dude, this plus fingerling swarm equals undead-body-partapalooza. You want to make the zombie foot swarm?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

8. - Top - End - #8

No, in the name of all that's holy and not necromantically animated, I beseech thee to make no such creature, lest the world be overrun with swarms of undead body the likes of which the world should never know!

....You're totally gonna do it now, aren't you?

Anyway, I'm really tempted to give this an Mitp vote: no *+3 haterbane throwing dagger bounces off force field from bracers of armor* because of the uncomfortable amount of undead and otherwise irredeemably evil creaures that seem to be going into MitP. The swarm itself is yet another mechanically and creatively excellent creature in its own right, but I would really love to see more creatures that could be beneficial to players in a respect other than experience. However, because of the fact that it's a flavorful and creative irredeemably evil mockery of life's creation, I'm going to stay neutral.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fangthane
    It's unclear from your description just how the spitting works; while you say "doomed to die" it's unclear what you mean when you go on to say that creatures with more than 6 HD can make a will save each day... Do you mean that it's a curse such that *if* that character dies he rises as a zombie, until either the save's made or the curse removed or it takes effect? Or does it instantly slay anything with 6 HD or less?
    Those who are 6 HD and under die sometime that day, no save, and rise up as a zombie upon death.

Those with more than 6 HD may make a DC save to elude the curse each day, but cannot escape it unless the curse is removed. If eventually they fail the save they to die and rise up as a zombie.

might add how much time it takes for a head to be added into the swarm because in the middle of a battle 12+ hit points can be a big downer...
    The next round I'd say, will adjust.

Anyway, I'm really tempted to give this an Mitp vote: no
    I'm not submitting my stuff as of right now, so no worries.

because of the uncomfortable amount of undead and otherwise irredeemably evil creaures that seem to be going into MitP. The swarm itself is yet another mechanically and creatively excellent creature in its own right, but I would really love to see more creatures that could be beneficial to players in a respect other than experience.
    Well, err, this is the first evil creature I've submitted in awhile... have at least a dozen others posted since my last evil aligned beastie.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm not just talking about your creatures, mostly it's D1's abominations to all that exists that has been keeping me up an extra hour each night. This is a great monster in it's own right, I'm just trying in my own small way to encourage more general-use monsters for the compendium.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph
    I'm not just talking about your creatures, mostly it's D1's abominations to all that exists that has been keeping me up an extra hour each night. This is a great monster in it's own right, I'm just trying in my own small way to encourage more general-use monsters for the compendium.
    Hey, not everything I make is evil. Most of my dire animals were based of inherently funny animals. Would you like me to submit my giant butterfly, just to balance out the creepy?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Demented_One
    Hey, not everything I make is evil. Most of my dire animals were based of inherently funny animals. Would you like me to submit my giant butterfly, just to balance out the creepy?
    Actually a giant butterfly would make a really cool mount, especially if if had some kind of fighting capacity so it didn't suck. i'm thinking poisonous wing dust, but its your creature.

;)
    Cekiatar

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, a fear effect would be cool. I'd pee my pants if I saw one of these things coming at me.
    Avatar is Kashardaler, God of Dreams done by GryffonDurime

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Halloween bump!