Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 889

Thread: Kerluddein (IC)

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Kerluddein (IC)

    You'd seen it all. Kerluddein is like that. A little of everything, so much that it all becomes a blur. You'd seen humans and elves of all shapes and colours, dwarves and halflings, half-orcs and half-elves, gnomes and goblins and giants all mixed into one great city, and you rubbing shoulders with all of them. You'd seen the ships setting off to war in the port, been there when the Lady Crummel set off to tarkhe south, remember the Archmage standing trial by the priests and the civil wars that made the Petty Kingdoms. You'd been to the libraries and seen sketches of what the explorers' ships had found in the wild coasts of the west. You were a citizen of the city of Kerluddein, not some backwards village idiot who'd never seen anyone not of their own race. You chatted daily with philosophers and mages and heroes of war, not backwater peasants.

    That's why the rumours reached you first when the sending reached the city that the latest trading ship was coming back with something a little more unusual than darkwood planks and naga moults. Something properly worthy of the legends that crewed the sailing boats, and something you wanted to see, or be seen seeing. That's why you were up so early this morning to line the dockyards even before the tradesmen did. Impress you enough, and the cargo might even entice you to become one of those crews. You have it in you, you know that already.

    The sun came up a few hours ago, and the crowds have been gathering ever since. Most of them are just here for their jobs; there is, after all, more than one ship coming in today, and every one needs a horde of workers to get it unloaded and restocked before its next journey. A small group of curious members of the middle class and lower aristocracy have been watching the horizon since before dawn, waiting for whatever wonder the Lady's Wings has been reported to be bringing back. Most of them are expecting to be disappointed, but it's being there, and being seen to be there, that counts to them. A lot of the locals are out to watch for it as well. Whether or not they've heard the rumours working their way down from the shipyard offices, "spice" ships are always a source of wonders and entertainment. The bulk of their holds might be just ordinary spice goods, but it's these ships that carry the spell ingredients to Kerluddein, and that means that they can hold just about anything.

    Whatever your reason for being there, you're part of that crowd, and the sails of the Lady's Wings have just been sighted. What you do now is up to you.
    Last edited by rrkkskrrk; 2009-03-22 at 07:47 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia glances at the boats while watching the crowd, with her wings carefully folded under her cloak, and her hood pulled closely around her ears. Those not observing closely might mistake her for a halfling. Even having been in this city for a while now, she's still not used to large crowds, so they distract from the expected view of the boats. Besides - before the boats arrive, the crowds are much more interesting. She makes particular note of who's watching the water, and who's watching the other watchers; from the second group will come those who come to take advantage of the close press of the crowd, and those who will be the movers and shakers of hiring others for jobs... not that Sylvia expects to get a job as a porter; those go to those able to move large items. Perhaps, though, if the job was available, she could get a job as a spotter or supervisor - her eyes were very sharp, and she could get much further above the sprawl beneath her to see things others might miss... provided her spotty heritage didn't get in the way.

    "So... will this be my ship that's come in?"
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-03-22 at 08:04 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra carefully maintained the alternate form she always chose when dealing with mortals, exactly her own looks, minus the wings, tail, and tiny vampiric teeth that would consternation if they showed up. Even without those things, she was more than noticeable, women of her beauty did not come wandering down to the docks every day.

    Lysindra had no idea of what the Lady Wings was bringing in, or even if she could profit from it in some way, but if she wasnt here, she certainly could not. Ever since her patron had sent her to Kerluddein, she had been looking for a way to jump start whatever career she would carve among the mortals, and this arrival was the biggest thing to happen since she had arrived.

    Lysindra edged closer to the docks, using her smile to disarm any complaints as she wedged in closer, or to get men to move in the first place. The closer she could get, the better chance of getting noticed. And being noticed was always the first step....

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia, watching the crowds, notes how the crowd practically parts around a particularly well-endowed human woman, who isn't dressed in the finery of the noble class, and takes a moment to muse to herself as to the why of the crowd's parting.

    "Hmm... I wonder... underworld leader, schemer, or just an overly lusty woman who's prone to manipulation? Whichever way, she's likely to be a dangerous opponent or a useful ally... or maybe a dangerous ally. It's tricky to tell on so little information. Perhaps a closer look is in order...."

    With that, Sylvia begins the fairly laborous task of winding her way down, closer to the docks, and closer to the woman ... while still keeping an eye on the crowds, both for better navigation through them and to make sure there aren't any pickpockets about....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Doyle moved through the crowd pretty easily, his natural nimbility allowing him to slip to the front, and it didn't hurt that he wouldn't block people's views either.
    I wonder what's got everyone in buzzing around like flies?
    He thinks as he deftly avoids the feet of the big folk.

    Spoiler
    Show
    nimbility is a word now dammit.
    Last edited by sidhe_blooded; 2009-03-24 at 09:16 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin stands at the edge of the crowd, grinning at the familiar sight of a crowd waiting for a ship to dock. It is a surprise how big the crowd is, as well as the variety of color, shapes and sizes of the people in it. His golden rimmed eyes scan over the crowd to see if any of the librarians or shop keepers who sell scrolls and books are amidst the throng as well as hunting for anyone unusual.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra, well used to people moving closer to get a look at her, spots the approaching Sylvia. She stays in the spot she has made it to, and awaits her coming to her.
    This could prove interesting, she thinks to herself as the person makes her way towards her.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia, still atop her faithful steed Patches, moves next to the young disguised Succubus, giving her a quick once-over.

    "Amazing how much room one can get on a crowded dock, isn't it? Do be careful, though - while the attention may seem nice now, you're likely getting the wrong symptoms with your chosen route ... unless you want people not to trust you, that is."

    Spoiler
    Show

    Spot, for the disguise: (1d20)[17]+10; not that it changes Sylvia's planned course of action at all. When figuring your Disguise check, don't forget the "different race" penalty.
    Note: No real plan at this point; merely using technically available info to get the party together for metagame reasons.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold-Bard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Iredno

    Arriving at the Dock Iredno was in a foul mood. He knew that there would be something exotic aboard the Wings, which meant he also knew he would have to pay to get a piece of the action. And thanks to his poor Binding the The Queen of Avarice, this was not a prospect he was looking forward to.

    He made his way through the crowd, simply pushing others out of his way, and made it to the front of the gathered masses.

    Looking at the horizon he saw the ship, the next chapter in his life story.
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    The Lady's Wings is closer now, though not quite at the shore. The air of excitement is almost palpable, and the bustle from the workers is increasing rapidly as they prepare to take the spice ship in and get it unloaded. The wind is particularly favourable this morning, perhaps even magically enhanced by a caster under the employ of an impatient businessman, and the Lady's Wings is approaching fast. The crowd is harder to move through now as a result of the handcarts and wagons being pushed to the seafront, but one passage remains open from the streets behind to the part of the seafront where the ship is expected to arrive.
    The details of the ship are now visible to the keen-eyed amongst the crowd; three masts with all sails billowing, and a large crew all hurrying to adjust the rigging. In the centre of deck is a large tarpaulin, and a muttering has gone up within the crowd as to what it might be. Obviously this is the unusual cargo that the ship reported when it was beginning its return journey.
    In the midst of all the bustle, a squad of hobgoblins wearing dark blue coats has started to march rapidly down the path left by the crowd, eyes to the front and halberds held high.

    Larin
    Spoiler
    Show

    You see a young woman that you recognise as an underlibrarian at the Library of the Diet, the arcane section of which you haven't been able to get into.


    Iredno
    Spoiler
    Show

    Your bad mood means that you haven't noticed yet that your prime point at the front of the crowd is also right at the edge of the hobgoblins' path.


    MelkorIlavator
    Spoiler
    Show

    Try and have a post ready as soon as possible. You can either have your character arrive late or assume that they've been there but not done anything, either is fine with me.


    Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

    Feel free to take spot checks and gather information checks to notice additional details. Actually, from now on you can make a spot or knowledge check whenever I describe anything and I'll add to my description according to your degree of success. Leaves me free to not have to describe anything that you don't care about.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra turns to look at Sylvia.

    Im used to getting lots of room wherever I go. But I really dont understand what you mean, whats there not to trust about me? And what symptoms am I getting?
    Come with me, lets see if we can get an even better look.



    Lysindra attempts to move as close as she can to the open path, clearing a path as well for Sylvia to follow.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia pays close attention to the orcs, the ship, and the ship's crew and passengers, looking to perhaps gauge intent, reactions, and relationship between them - also seeing if she can see enough of the livery to recognize it later. She also follows the path forged for her by Lysindra.

    "It's a bad idea to go into too much detail in public, but consider: in a highly crowded area, you arrange for a clear area... but you're not wearing anyone's livery, you're not dressed as a member of the nobility, and those who move out of your way do not appear frightened at all, nor do you appear to have any bodyguards. Anyone with an eye is going to wonder why everyone steps out of your way, en mass. As essentially everyone yields, it can't be a because of a non-obvious affiliation with any orginization. Given the specific symptoms, there's basically two options that are not ruled out by simple appearances and everyone else's reactions - and neither option leads anyone who's reasonably perceptive to trust you.

    Now, if you were wearing the livery of some lord or lady, an observer who's not familiar with the specific designs could easily think everyone was moving out of respect for or fear of that lord or lady. If you were dressed as a member of the nobility yourself, an observer who didn't specifically recognize you could easily think everyone was moving out of your way out of either respect for or fear of you. You didn't take such precautions, so while your guise and methods are getting you exactly what you're after on the short-term, in the long-run, those that actually matter will likely be avoiding you.

    I'll refrain from commenting on your heritage, as mine isn't exactly clean either....
    "

    Spoiler
    Show

    She's basically looking for a couple of things:
    1) How do the crew members and visible passengers react to the presence of the orcs? Are they surprised by the group of armed men, or do they expect them? Are they anticipating a good encounter or a bad encounter?
    Sense Motive (untrained): (1d20)[7]+6

    2) What's the livery on the orcs? Besides color, any organized band will have identifying symbols for the purpose of recognizing friend from foe - what do their symbols look like?
    Spot:(1d20)[16]+10

    3) What "mood" are the orcs in? Are they expecting a fight? Hoping for a fight? Looking to bully someone into doing something for them or "giving" them something? Looking to escort a particular person/item?
    Sense Motive (untrained): (1d20)[19]+6

    4) What identifying marks are on the ship? What flags is it flying? Is there any particular symbol on the sails? Is there anyone aboard her that is uniformed or wearing recognizable symbols? What do those look like?
    Spot:(1d20)[1]+10

    5) Is there anyone who looks to be "in command" on the ship? What is that person's mood?
    Spot:(1d20)[2]+10
    Sense Motive (untrained): (1d20)[20]+6

    6) Who appears to be "in command" of the orcs? What is that person's mood?
    Spot:(1d20)[19]+10
    Sense Motive (untrained): (1d20)[1]+6

    Note for MikelaC: you don't appear to have listed any additional expenses for fine clothing on Lysindra's character sheet, so I'm running under the assumption that the clothing in the description uses costume jewelry, cotton rather than silk or fine linens, and so on - things anyone could get, rather than a "court outfit" with real gemstones, and acting accordingly. If that was a mere oversight, let me know, and I'll edit the post. Fair enough?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-03-25 at 06:02 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

    The first thing that you notice is that these are hobgoblins. (Nah, call them what you want, though it does make a slight difference. Since you've got no knowledge ranks, though, your character might not know the difference either.)
    The ship is too far away for you to notice any particular reaction from the crew; their movements simply look like the normal hustle and bustle of a crew preparing to draw into their dock. Clothing, likewise is practically invisible from this distance, though you notice the main markings of the ship: its figurehead (an angel with two pairs of wings, one of which are bent inwards to obscure her nakedness) and the main flag, which displays a coat of arms which you cannot see clearly. The commander is practically invisible to you, though you can tell that they are standing near the helmsman. A sense of determination emanates from them even at this distance, though it seems mostly to be focused on overcoming their exhaustion until properly in port.
    The hobgoblin delegation is clearly visible to you, though you cannot tell much about its commander, who is marching to their front with sword and what looks like an expensive firearm at his side. Despite being able to see every scar on his deep orange face, you cannot discern his expression at all. He wears the same markings as the rest of his squad, though slightly more embellished around the edges.
    The uniform they wear is a simple one: a dark blue cloak with a red collar over a similarly-coloured tunic which comes down to their waist. Apart from their commanding officer, they all wear tall hats marked with a distinctive coat-of-arms: a helmeted serpent positioned in complicated curves behind a shield bearing the device of a silver trident. You're certain you've seen it in passing before. All of them look slightly bored; this is obviously routine duty for them, and the combination of halberds and livery convinces you that these are probably in the employ of the city, or at least its ruler. You don't know enough about them to tell whether they're regular city guards or some sort of ceremonial representative, but you can at least tell that they seem to have official business with the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Those rolls were...inconvinient, to say the least. Maybe your hearing is telling you what you need to know about the captain.


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DC area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Michael:
    As the he attempts to force his way through the crowd, Michaels hears the rise in muttering coinciding with the arrival of the ship, and begins to curse.
    Dammit! Of all the days that Craxton wants my help with some chores, he has to pick today! If I wasn't held up I could have been here before the crowds.

    Still, he keeps moving forward, attempting to salvage something from this trip, and moves in behind some others apparently trying to do the same thing. For a second his attention is drawn to the woman walking beside the small rider, and he almost lets out a whistle.
    Now you don't see someone like that out by the docks every day. Wonder what she's here for?
    Michael continues to follow them, partly because they seem to be making headway towards a better view, and partially because it is a nice view.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry again for the delay.
    As for rolls:
    Spot for anything really unusual about the people on the docks: (1d20)[2]+3

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Kobold-Bard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Iredno

    Pushing Aym's complaints to the back of his mind, Iredno began studying the ship and those around him. This was fortunate because it gave him just enough time to push himself to the side, avoiding a goblin halberd.

    He thought to himself as they went past, "Please let those pockmarked cretins be here for a fight. I'll bloody give them one".

    Realising what he was thinking he muttered under his breath "Oh do shut up you grumpy sod" before returning to his observations.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot on Crowd (1d20+1)[11]
    Spot on Ship (1d20+1)[18]
    Listen on Crowd (1d20+1)[17]
    Sense Motive on Goblins (1d20+4)[23]
    Knowledge History (previous voyages like this one) (1d20+4)[17]
    Knowledge Nature (if I know anything about the place they went to( (1d20+4)[12]
    Zenithbold-Bard by Lord Raziere | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Michael
    Spoiler
    Show

    You see nothing unusual. In fact, the bustle of the crowd confuses you so much that you have difficulty picking out individual faces at all.


    Iredno
    Spoiler
    Show

    You realise what most of the crowd already knows about the goblins: they're just here to keep the peace and do their job. You also catch one turning towards you momentarily, looking at your weapon, but you look enough like a dockhand to him for him to make no comment. Perhaps he's mistaken it for a tool to drag the ship in with.
    The details of the ship are vague at this distance, but you see the angelic figurehead and the crest it flies from its mainmast. As your eyes dart across the deck, you realise that the ominous-looking tarpaulin merely holds crates; unless the important cargo is in them, it's either not there or stored somewhere else. Some of the more far-sighted members of the crowd have realised this as well, and there's a slight tinge of disappointment to those of them that aren't busy shouting instructions to each other. Rumours are still flying around; there's one nobleman near you telling everyone that a severed but still living dragon's head on board, but he doesn't seem to have any basis for his claim.
    The first spice ships sailed from Kerluddein a century or so ago, but despite being the basis of the region's economy they were remarkably unadventurous until a generation ago when the Lady Crummel set off away from the established trade routes to find new lands. Kerluddein has flourished since then, and trips like this happen once a month at least. Most of the time, though, they simply come back with a hold full of mundane raw materials and little else but new details to add to the maps. You know enough about spices to know that they've probably come from a much hotter climate, most likely a rainforest, but nothing about the specific coast that the Lady's Wings has been plying.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin picks his way through the crowds, heading over to the underlibrarian. He's not too worried about pickpockets as his money his underneath the leather armor under his robes. As he draws close he smiles at her, stopping next to her. "Hello there miss. Didn't expect to see you out at the docks. Is the library expecting some new documents or a guest? Or are you out here for personal reasons?" He smiles at her again, expecting she'll recognize him.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2009-03-27 at 10:06 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    I have no idea of what you are talking about. Im not arranging for open space, people are merely being polite to a woman, perhaps moreso to more beautiful one. But not everyone is as suspicious as you, I havent done anything to create this, other than smile a bit.

    Turning to see Michael, she smiles welcomingly at him, almost beckoning him to come up with them.

    Now, you see, theres at least one man who doesnt share your suspicions. He just wants to spend some time with an intriguing woman.

    Lysindra turns and smiles again at Michael, now clearly inviting him to join her and Sylvia.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia rolls her eyes slightly as she follows.

    "Of course you don't. A perfectly innocent flower, with not a deceptive bone in you're body. Speaking of which, do you think you can arrange for a clearing within, say, a hundred feet of the boat? I can make out what's being said quite reliably within that distance."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: Taking 10 on a Listen check makes for a 20 - which is hearing that people are talking at 200 feet, and making out what's being said at 100 feet. Sylvia's curious as to what, exactly, the "Orcs" and the sailors will be saying to each other.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    The Lady's Wings is nearly at the dock now, but the favourable wind is breaking up, blowing both towards and away from the shore according to its own whims. Snatches of shouted commands and the distinctive smells of hundreds of spices reach the crowd whenever it blows towards them, but the winds blowing offshore are just as strong, and only an expert in judging the weather would be able to tell you which wind actually prevails overall. On the ship, crewmembers with ropes are starting to line the sides, and dockhands are doing the same on shore with coils of strong rope and hooks on poles. It won't be long now until the ship is ready to be pulled in and anchored.
    On the edge of the dock, commotions flare up at several points, but the hobgoblins ignore them, and snap to attention in two short lines flanking their commanding officer.

    Larin
    The underlibrarian does recognise you, and looks slightly alarmed to see you there. Her eyes widening, she takes a step back...and falls over the edge of the dock.

    Jack_Simth
    Spoiler
    Show

    Be aware that I'll probably impose a penalty on that check for the fact that you're in the middle of a noisy crowd, though by the time Sylvia successfully convinces Lysindra to get you there it may be closer. I'll give you details if she responds favourably.
    Last edited by rrkkskrrk; 2009-03-27 at 09:21 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra smiles once again at Sylvia, and then turns her head to give one more smile to Michael.
    Turning back to the dock scene, Lysindra tries to pick out an area that will be both suitable for what Sylvia is trying to do, and involve moving the least amount of people.

    Come with me then, I think I see the perfect spot for hearing what is going on.

    Lysindra leads the way to the spot she has chosen, continuing to use her wiles to clear the path for her and her companion.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra
    You realise from a quick glance over the crowd that it is fairly thin on the ground near the passage opened for the hobgoblins, and set off in that direction, coming to a halt a few steps behind the edge of the passage itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Your Listen check is even better than Sylvia's, by the way, so if you want to you can use what she's hearing as well.


    Sylvia
    Spoiler
    Show

    You try momentarily to eavesdrop on the hobgoblins, but quickly realise that it's a lost cause; they're not actually saying anything, and probably won't do so until they move off again.
    Your insights into the ship gained from listening are fragmentary at best due to the changing winds and the crowd around you, but you can at least discern by listening carefully that the crew are trying to move parts of the cargo in at the same time as navigating the ship into port, and are having trouble with the rigging as the result. A lucky gust of wind brings you the location of the object that they're moving: the forward hold, which will be the furthest gangplank from you when the ship finally comes to rest. Fortunately, its distance from you will also make it more likely that you have an unobstructed view of the hold as the object is lifted out.
    As for what the significant cargo is, the crew aren't saying. They've presumably all seen it by now, so it's just referred to as "it".

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin
    Surprised by the fall, you fail to react in time. Rushing to the edge, you find the under-librarian resurfacing. She doesn't seem to be drowning, but there are no steps down to the water here, and so she can't get back out. There is, however, a bollard nearby, devoid of the usual coil of heavy rope that is tied to nearly every other waterside post for tying ships.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia
    You hear a sharp splash above all of the other sounds, noticable only because of the yelling that follows it. Turning around, you see a young man with golden eyes rush forwards and look over the edge. The people around him are already gathering closer as well.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia, still paying close attention, has a bit of difficulty missing the splash from someone falling off the dock. So she orders Patches to keep an eye out while Sylvia goes and takes care of things.
    "Tourists... Patches, guard yourself."
    Specifically, Sylvia puts away her sling stones and cloak, pulls her silk rope out of Patch's saddlebags, stretches her wings, and flys over to render assistance... if the poor drowning fool will accept assistance from something that looks like a big-eared stub-nosed leathery-winged freak, anyway....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Lysindra knows that she will not be able to help the librarian unless she abandons her disguise, and is not willing to suddenly materialize wings in the middle of a crowd. Therefore, she continues to keep an eye on the activity onboard the Lady's Wings, hoping to catch a glimpse of whatever "it" is.
    She also continues to look back over her shoulder, trying to catch Michael's eye and have him move forward to join her.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin gasps and pulls a length of slik rope from one of the many folds in his robes and tries to the a quick loop or knot in it. Use rope check (1d20+1)[20] He then throws the looped end of the rope where she can grab it. "Hold on tightly and I'll try pulling you up!"
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2009-03-28 at 09:54 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin
    It takes a while, but the underlibrarian reaches the rope and grabs hold. She doesn't seem particularly sure of what to do other than hang on, though, and you're not sure she's going to be able to maintain her grip on the rope for the entire distance back up.

    Sylvia
    Your sudden flight causes quite a stir in the crowd, but no-one has any weapons that can hit you, apart from the hobgoblin officer, and he is still intent on the oncoming ship. The crowd parts for you as you land lightly near the waterfront.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Sylvia sizes up the situation as she lands, her spell components pouch readily accessible at her side, and offers some advice to the lady who's all wet.

    "I might suggest getting inside the loop, madam, and getting your arms over and outside, so that the loop pulls on your shoulders and armpits - that way, your strength in this isn't the strength that matters... well, unless you're confident you can hang onto the rope with just your hands as you're pulled up, that is, but that's often as hard, if not harder, than simply climbing the rope in the first place. You might also see if you can get your feet into position to walk up the side of something while you're being pulled up - it's expected to reduce bruising that way. Meanwhile, if the young man will let me, I'll see about helping him pull you up."

    Spoiler
    Show
    If accepted, Aid Another strength check; if she beats DC 10, that's a +2 to Larin's strength check. She will, of course, wait until the Librarian is actually in a spot such that this will help...
    (1d20-3)[1]
    Edit: Fortunately, there's no penalty for a failed aid another check, normally...
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-03-29 at 06:19 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Kerluddein (IC)

    Larin looks back at the small woman, giving her a quick nod. "Yes please. I was just about to give her that advice." He extends more of the rope and steps back to give her rope to grab on, not wanting to put the entire 50ft of rope on the dock. "I see you're a caster, could I borrow a component? A pick pocket mistook my component pouch for my coin purse and I havent had a chance to replace it."
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2009-03-29 at 10:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •