New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default 4e- Cosmic Magic source for Sorcerers? (Arcane Power Preview)

Over at WotC they put up another preview article for Arcane Power, it can be seen here.

Apparently they are sticking with the 'str and dex are secondary stats for sorcerers' bit introduced in the PHB2. But, what stands out to me here is that... I don't get it!

What is this 'cosmic magic', is it different than the sort of magic that Star Pact warlocks wield? Is this whole 'phases' mechanic interesting or is it simply needlessly complex?
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-03-30 at 12:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: 4e- Cosmic Magic source for Sorcerers? (Arcane Power Preview)

Warlock Star Pact the "Stars" are actually far Realm Aliens, and the effects are mainly illusions and light- it also had some ties to Fate (Horoscopes). Cosmic Magic is aimed toward the real astrometic bodies, it's physics magic: Gravity, orbits, meteors, etc. It's less random than Chaos but more varied than Draconic, I think it'll fit in well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't understand the phase thing...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NPCMook View Post
    I don't understand the phase thing...
    Basically after every rest, the Sorc picks one of the three phases (Sun, Moon, Stars) and gains the power listed below. However, the first time he is Bloodied in an Encounter, he loses whatever Phase Power he had and gains the next Phase Power in the order.

The Phases are ordered as such:
    Sun -> Moon -> Stars -> Sun... and so on.

Example
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ralika the Sorceress wakes up in the morning and chooses the Sun Phase. Her first Encounter for they day is with a bunch of Orcs, and they discover that whenever they stand adjacent to Ralika, they take STR worth of Fire/Radiant damage. Ow.

Eventually an Orc drops Ralika down to Bloodied. Immediately her Phase shifts to the next one in the order (Moon) and instead of causing Fire/Radiant damage, she's gaining +1 AC per enemy adjacent to her.

The party finishes killing the Orcs, and take a Short Rest. At the end of the Short Rest, Ralika decides she'd like to go back to Sun Phase; she loses her Moon Phase powers, and begins inflicting Fire/Radiant damage again.

It's pretty neat.

EDIT:
    Clearly, the first Cosmic Sorceress will be Half-Elven, wear a miniskirt, and start every battle with "In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-03-30 at 01:49 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #5

Given that this spell source uses Strength, I can't think of any other time when the phrase "Fist of the North Star" would be more appropriate.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    Given that this spell source uses Strength, I can't think of any other time when the phrase "Fist of the North Star" would be more appropriate.
    I gotta say, I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the whole "muscle for magic" thing through my mind - particularly for "cosmic" magic - but it does allow you to make Bodybuilder Sorcerers who cast with their biceps

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alex Louis Armstrong (of Fullmetal Alchemist) would be proud.
    Libras D'lnar avatar by CSK

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldmor View Post
    Alex Louis Armstrong (of Fullmetal Alchemist) would be proud.
    Damnit! I wanted to say that.
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I see two reasons they use strength/dex for sorcerers. First is that it's an ability score array no one else uses. Second is that since sorcerer's channel pure arcane energy through their body, they need to be physically strong to channel it fully(or agile as the case may be). While charisma might determine how much raw powerful they can manifest, their strength/dexterity is a measure of how much they can control it while it flows throw there body.

Of course this is all just random speculation and guessing, but if a player needs a justification it works.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2009-03-30 at 03:21 AM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    I see two reasons they use strength/dex for sorcerers. First is that it's an ability score array no one else uses.
    Aren't Rogues Str/Dex/Cha as well?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lordsmoothe View Post
    Damnit! I wanted to say that.
    Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kletian999 View Post
    Warlock Star Pact the "Stars" are actually far Realm Aliens, and the effects are mainly illusions and light- it also had some ties to Fate (Horoscopes). Cosmic Magic is aimed toward the real astrometic bodies, it's physics magic: Gravity, orbits, meteors, etc. It's less random than Chaos but more varied than Draconic, I think it'll fit in well.
    I guess my issue with it is that with sorcerers X power flows through them. So, dragon, chaos, and sure storm magic all make sense to me. I don't get how the power behind the rotation of heavenly bodies can flow through you.

"Burn as I unleash the raw strength of astronomy and the natural laws!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Fantasy world. Stars aren't just astronomy, they have arcane power.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Spells dependant of strenght? Now I've seen it all.

Well the 4e paladin was hiting people in the face with charisma so I guess it's only fair the sorceror gets to make arcane blasts with his muscles.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

People should drop the associatition that the ability score "Strength" (or indeed, any of the other five) has a meaningful relation with what the word "strength" means in real life. It does not, it is just one of the six attributes. WOTC saw that one of the six attributes was used less often than the other five, so they made up a mechanic that uses it, because it is part of game balance to use all six attributes equally often.

That said, the sun/moon/stars mechanic strikes me as gimmicky for the sake of it. It seems to be a key point for sorcerers that they get arbitrary abilities that change at arbitrary moments. It's a bit like the old Wild Surge table only without the fun parts; I can't say I like the class much, even though it does a better job at arcane striking than the warlock.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-03-30 at 06:10 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A Paladin using charisma is not hitting a person in their face, it is the paladins, I am bigger and badder then you scaring the will out of a person to fight. HP is not just physical health but the will to fight.

On the str from magic I can kind of see it but it is hard to put into words. The dex part is maybe being better able to make the gestures needed? In the same vein maybe making the geatures with more force add to their effects?

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmage View Post
    On the str from magic I can kind of see it but it is hard to put into words. The dex part is maybe being better able to make the gestures needed? In the same vein maybe making the geatures with more force add to their effects?

Dexterity would be for Fire, Air, and Waterbending.
    Earthbending would be primarily strength.

Despite KG's claims, there is some precedence for using strength with magic.
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-03-30 at 07:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

MonkGuy

Str based Cosmic Sorcerer? Finally I'll be able do roll up my own Knight of the Zodiac.
    In two seconds I will hit the ground
    A moment stretched out over years
    And my eyes will flicker and then something has changed
    An empty cage, a crimson bud, a street of blood
    A city rose sprung out to greet the rain

PoS: Enter Rain

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The way I see it, a sorerer requires strength or so for his casting because of the new flavour of sorcery. It is barely controlled, wild and potent. He's litterally wrestling with the cosmos to wring this power out of it, and even more literaly to control it. He requires strong arms as he guestures because otherwise he will end up flailing randomly, like a 90lbs weakling trying to control a fire-hose on his own.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmmm, that actually reminds me of the male channelers of WoT...
    "You know you count as artillery when it would be easier to use divination magic to locate your target than a spot check"
    Thanks to CrimsonAngel for the awesome avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    People should drop the associatition that the ability score "Strength" (or indeed, any of the other five) has a meaningful relation with what the word "strength" means in real life. It does not, it is just one of the six attributes. WOTC saw that one of the six attributes was used less often than the other five, so they made up a mechanic that uses it, because it is part of game balance to use all six attributes equally often.
    Doesn't mean you shouldn't try and justify it. And people have done so pretty nicely in this thread.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    Doesn't mean you shouldn't try and justify it.
    Actually, it does. WOTC makes zero attempt to justify most of their rules from an in-world perspective; instead, everything is justified on game balance and ease of play.

And people have done so pretty nicely in this thread.
    Not at all. People have given a few nonsensical or ludicrous ideas that are as much a justification as the Chewbacca Defense is. And funnily enough, none of those ideas have a relation to what the word "strength" means in real life, thus proving my point.

The existence of (very few) people who are strong and use magic (who almost without exception use magic to boost their strength, rather than vice versa) does not make it archetypical that being a body builder makes you better at pulling flames out of nowhere.

Any explanation that justifies everything, in fact justifies nothing. If an explanation makes the same amount of sense when you substitute "strength" by "constitution" (or for that matter, by "goldfish"), that only shows the explanation makes no sense, and you've only proven that magic use really has no meaningful relationship at all to "attributes".

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming that "meh, it's magic, roll with it" isn't acceptable, the closest thing to a coherent explanation of STR boosting sorcerer spells would be for dragon magic: higher STR implies more dragon in your blood which implies more power. It doesn't really work, but that's the closest I can come up with. Cosmic magic, I got nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I thought that Rogues were DEX + STR/CHA while Sorcerers were CHA + STR/DEX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

Actually, it does. WOTC makes zero attempt to justify most of their rules from an in-world perspective; instead, everything is justified on game balance and ease of play.

Not at all. People have given a few nonsensical or ludicrous ideas that are as much a justification as the Chewbacca Defense is. And funnily enough, none of those ideas have a relation to what the word "strength" means in real life, thus proving my point.

Any explanation that justifies everything, in fact justifies nothing. If an explanation makes the same amount of sense when you substitute "strength" by "constitution" (or for that matter, by "goldfish"), that only shows the explanation makes no sense, and you've only proven that magic use really has no meaningful relationship at all to "attributes".
    Seriously, KG, I've got some respect for you but you keep harping on this and ignoring points that have been made in the various threads that you have brought this up in.

The existence of (very few) people who are strong and use magic (who almost without exception use magic to boost their strength, rather than vice versa) does not make it archetypical that being a body builder makes you better at pulling flames out of nowhere.
    As has been said many times before... Armstrong (who people keep bringing up as the best example of this) uses his strength to boost his magic, not vice versa (and don't anyone say that 'alchemy isn't magic') Does one dude make an archetype? No. But does it mean that you can just ignore the example because it doesn't fly with your interpretation that stats have no meaningful in-world application? Again, no. I already made an argument about this in another thread, I'll just go find and link the post, but I'm getting tired of seeing you continually bring this up; if you can't think of reasons it might make sense, then fine, play the game that way, but quit trying to shove this assertion of yours down everyone else's throat in every other thread that mentions "strength and magic" or "hitting people with charisma".

edit: I can't find my darn post, it must be buried pretty far. Found a previous one where this was being discussed and I pseudo-agreed? About fluff laziness at least.
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-03-30 at 11:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmage View Post
    A Paladin using charisma is not hitting a person in their face, it is the paladins, I am bigger and badder then you scaring the will out of a person to fight. HP is not just physical health but the will to fight.
    So you're saying that D&D 4e uses the same rules for physical and social conflict? Is the paladin killing enemies just by scaring the crap out of them with glares while the rest of the party is shooting energy or stabbing with pointy things?

What hapened with oversized glowing swords being wielded by skinny blonde pretty boys?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'll leave aside how strange I find it that you don't seem to think being able to control one's muscles is a function of strength and just explain how I understand it.

So, a sorcerer gets his power from within. For one reason or another, being able to access arcane power is natural for them. However, they are tapping into a larger force and channeling it's raw power, unlike Wizards who use words to take control of arcane energies. This is the basic concept of their magic.

So why does strength help them? Well, they are channeling raw, untamed power through their bodies, so their strength helps them keep in control of themselves as all of this power rushes through them. More strength means they are able to adequately channel more power, which translates into more damage.

If you can buy into the idea that some people can say a few words that let them break the laws of physics or that some people love nature so much that the forces of nature let them change shape, appearance, and even their very mass, it's really not that strange.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-03-30 at 12:07 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

[S]ince sorcerer's channel pure arcane energy through their body, they need to be physically strong to channel it fully(or agile as the case may be). While charisma might determine how much raw powerful they can manifest, their strength/dexterity is a measure of how much they can control it while it flows throw there body.
    I like this explanation.

CHA-casters have been associated with "force of personality" spells since 3E, so it's easy fluff to swallow. Since you're using CHA, you wouldn't use to CON to represent the reserve of energy; DEX is associated with fine movements / manipulation while STR is associated with raw power.

Consider me convinced

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

A lot of people have mentioned getting Anime vibes from this, but there's one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned.

Defending yourself by recklessly and thoughtlessly beating attacks out of the way? Turning material power into spiritual power? Gaining skill and mental endurance from the hordes of enemies surrounding you? Making said hordes of enemies EXPLODE!!!!!! from the sheer force of your awesomeness? All of that screams (appropriately) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to me.

"This drill is my implement!!"

Multiclassing between this and Paladin could make an excellent Spiral Knight.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Rogues are Dex-Str/Cha, Sorcerers are Cha-Str/Dex...or it's possible I forgot about this :)

Here is some other food for thought, another justification for why strength and or dexterity makes sense. Use or ignore to your taste.

Charisma is your individuality, your ability to perceive yourself and make an impression. Sorcerer magic comes from yourself, and your self image. Wouldn't it make some sense that a stronger self makes a stronger self image and thus stronger magic?

Edit: Great, now next time my warlord uses inspiring words on my cosmic sorcerer "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me. Believe in me, who believes in you!"
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2009-03-31 at 03:52 AM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't it make some sense that a stronger self makes a stronger self image and thus stronger magic?
    Not if you're a emotiefling

Seriously though, I consider it one of the stronger features of 4E that your str-score has no relation any more to how strong your character actually is. Why? Because this allows for wider scope in characters. You can make a scrawny little runt of a fighter, who can't lift a boulder but has done enough training to be completely awesome with a sword. This works because this character's high str-score doesn't mean he is muscular or mighty, it means he is good with fighter attack powers (and basic attacks, and climbing). Likewise, you can make a smart and knowledgeable ranger while keeping int as his dump stat, because his int-score doesn't refer to being clever or precocious.

Neither character is feasible in 3E without sacrificing your character's effectivity, because all fighters have to be strong and all wizards have to have an Einstein-level IQ. Bboth do work in 1E and 2E because they put much less emphasis on ability scores, but that's beside the point here.