1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Exclamation {removed} mistaken cyber attack

I was checking my spam folder and noticed a message the gmail spam filter thought was suspect.

{removed personal information and malicious link}

If a mod wants me to forward the message email me. My profile is set to allow emails.
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2019-06-30 at 11:51 AM. Reason: removed personal information and malicious link
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: {removed} cyber attack targeting board members claiming to be from gitp.

If you haven’t already, it is better to use the little triangle in the bottom left corner of the PM itself to report it

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: {removed} cyber attack targeting board members claiming to be from gitp.

It isn't a PM.

It is an email.
    I think it isn't originating from the board.

I think someone is using or spoofing Erik's email address and is somehow harvesting email addresses from the board to target.

There is probably nothing the board mods can do about it, but I figured they would want to know about it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If you haven’t already, it is better to use the little triangle in the bottom left corner of the PM itself to report it

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    I believe this is an email sent to the gmail account associated with his GITP account rather than a PM. I haven't actually used that functionality, but I know the site has the option to send an email to a user, which is presumably how "{removed}" sent it to jakarta
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2019-06-30 at 11:52 AM. Reason: removed
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Lost in the Playground Administrator

jakarta, I've removed your message for two reasons:

1) While you didn't include the full link, you still linked to a malicious site, and that was enough.

2) While you didn't know it, you have posted personal information about one of our members.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I believe this is an email sent to the gmail account associated with his GITP account rather than a PM. I haven't actually used that functionality, but I know the site has the option to send an email to a user, which is presumably how "{removed}" sent it to jakarta
    The "Send Email" button does not reveal the recipient's email address, it sends a message from the server, and it makes it clear that the message was sent using the Send Email feature.

---

The email you described did not claim to be from Giant in the Playground and did not mention it anywhere in the from field, it was in the to field.

The person it was apparently from is a member of this board you are familiar with, a player in at least one of your games. Have you been communicating via email with any of your players? They likely had your name in their contact list as "your username - where they knew you from".

There is a chance that their computer has been compromised to send the email, which could be the case as the email appears to have been signed as authentic by the organisation's email server. There is also a chance that only the person's contact list has been compromised and the email's from field was forged.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I tried contacting the admins at the University, but my message was rejected as spam.

The subject field was made to look like it came from Gitp.

The name seems familiar, and I do have players in Australia.

Spoiler:
    Show

]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Lost in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    The subject field was made to look like it came from Gitp.
    The subject was a direct copy of the name in the to field. It was your contact name in their email client.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: {removed} mistaken cyber attack

I'm not finding a match in my correspondence.

Well, this is an issue that is really a month old, and already getting caught by spam filters, so I guess we can stop worrying about it.

It just really bugged me.

Spoiler:
    Show

]