New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to actually shove someone's head up their nether regions or pull their guts out through their nose, but people use phrases like that as threats all the time.
    But people do have heads, guts, noses and butts in our world, It would make litel sense to threat someone with "I will rip your Guseophilion and sitck it in your Felkon". In Erfworld it would make no sense to threaten someone with "I'll eat your children"

So to be a threat at least she needs to have blood and understand so. Regardless of the actual possibility of drinking it or not.
    Last edited by chefsotero; 2009-04-05 at 11:54 AM. Reason: corect typo
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I had long since closed the window with the articles I browsed, but since you asked:
    Here's an actual website I found, that anyone should be able to access.

I looked at this article , even though it's about extrasolar planets, the researchers' beginning point of reference is the earth. (If the link is broken, the article is available to your library through HW Wilson database. It's from Icarus Magazine (San Diego, CA v. 191 no. 1 (November 1 2007) p. 337-510. Authors are Sotin, C.; Grasset, A.; Mocquet, A.)

If you need more, I can find more, a couple of the sources I glanced at turned out to not be available in their full text online.
    Thanks! I'll read through those when I have the time. There's just something so... primal.. about vulcanology. Brings out the inner child, yeh?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Angry? You've argued with other posters regarding the veracity of their claims, does that mean that you are angry with them?
    Sometimes. I try to tone my posts appropriately. New people get kid gloves, old people wiht histories I treat differently.

With you, it jus tseems you've had an angry tone. Just a sense, I guess. I've been keeping th kid gloves on, since I suspect that you are an expert here, but I can't know for certain until I've seen you back up claims. (I need to follow those links, but can't right now.) You have to understand that I meet a lot of "experts" that are really just trying to pretend to know things to fool people, or boost their ego. If you want to be an expert in Internet debating, you need to be ready to back up with source material.

I'm just very confused with how you construct some of your arguments. In some of your posts, you seem to be confusing the mantle with the outer core. In other posts, you're pretty clear on the distinction. I was merely correcting what I saw as inconsistencies in your research.
    You're confused, but I think you explained your own confusion. I am not an expert. I am merely well read. I'm a computer engineer by trade, but a generalist by nature, and I have a head for trivia. I pick up a lot of what hear, but since I hear a wide variety, I have gaps in my knowledge. That's why I jump to things like Wikipedia before stalking too much about a topic. But if those sources are incomplete, as you learned "magma" is, my knowledge will be as well.

If you will recall, I even suggested that none of our discussion was relevant to the comic, which opened up another line of conversation that others have continued. Just as you are entitled to respond to my comments on your posts, I am entitled to respond to yours. Please don't comment on my emotional state when you don't know me, and when I have given no explicit indication as to its state.
    Pshaw, I don't care if the discussion is relevant. I was hoping to improve my resources and knowledge. And to make sure you were the expert you were trying to appear to be. No one gets that assumption out of me.

As for emotional state, your writing always has a tone, and that tone may unintentionally pass on an emotion or attitude, whether you liek it or not. Without body language, with words alone, we often can't tell exactly what attitude we're projecting online. Controlling that attitude is vital: some peopel want to think that it's the reader's responsiblity not to read in unintended meanings, but the author that ensures unintended meanings are not present in writing doesn't need to rely on that presumption. Every word has a connotation of some sort, and making certain the wrong connotations aren't present can never be the responsibility of the reader.

Secret? All the information I've accessed is clearly available in Wikipedia, which you have referenced yourself. I assumed that you would want more than a stub for a reference and so I found them, but then decided not to use them. I merely pointed out that I found some articles on geology through my library so no one would think that I hadn't pursued the issue further. (Maybe I should have edited it out, my mistake.) Of course, I could be lying, but so could everyone.
    Yes, secret. You just told me about information inaccessible to me. That's a secret, intended or not. I don't have access to a university library anymore, having graduated some time ago. If the information is basic, shouldn't it be on Wikipedia already? At this point, all basic info on common topics should be present. If not,basic, then who isn't putting accurate information on the site about it? The experts. Any joe schmuck can't edit Wikipedia anymore. It's up to experts like you to ensure information like this is accessible to generalists like me, thanks to Wikipedia policies. If no expert is willing to put it there, then the experts are keeping it hidden.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

confused Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    Sometimes. I try to tone my posts appropriately. New people get kid gloves, old people wiht histories I treat differently.

With you, it jus tseems you've had an angry tone. Just a sense, I guess. I've been keeping th kid gloves on, since I suspect that you are an expert here, but I can't know for certain until I've seen you back up claims. (I need to follow those links, but can't right now.) You have to understand that I meet a lot of "experts" that are really just trying to pretend to know things to fool people, or boost their ego. If you want to be an expert in Internet debating, you need to be ready to back up with source material.
    No need for kid gloves here, and I'm no expert. I do, however have access to a great variety of resources on just about any subject. Most of what we have been discussing here should be available to anyone at a high school level in an earth science class. I didn't feel as if I was pointing out anything that was so esoteric as to make claims of expertise. Also, I have no need for expertise in internet debates, just enough information to conduct the debate.

Pshaw, I don't care if the discussion is relevant. I was hoping to improve my resources and knowledge. And to make sure you were the expert you were trying to appear to be. No one gets that assumption out of me.
    But I do care if the discussion is relevant, and I'm sure the mods do as well. As often as this server "flails" I'd think that a great number of posts that wander off into full fledged discussions of unrelated topics would be discouraged, if not outright banned. After all, it's their server.

As for emotional state, your writing always has a tone, and that tone may unintentionally pass on an emotion or attitude, whether you liek it or not. Without body language, with words alone, we often can't tell exactly what attitude we're projecting online. Controlling that attitude is vital: some peopel want to think that it's the reader's responsiblity not to read in unintended meanings, but the author that ensures unintended meanings are not present in writing doesn't need to rely on that presumption. Every word has a connotation of some sort, and making certain the wrong connotations aren't present can never be the responsibility of the reader.
    I've found that the reader's emotional state is far more important in how writing is received. Though the writer's state is important, it is the reader who is left to perceive anything that is--or is not--in the writing.

Yes, secret. You just told me about information inaccessible to me. That's a secret, intended or not. I don't have access to a university library anymore, having graduated some time ago. If the information is basic, shouldn't it be on Wikipedia already? At this point, all basic info on common topics should be present. If not,basic, then who isn't putting accurate information on the site about it? The experts. Any joe schmuck can't edit Wikipedia anymore. It's up to experts like you to ensure information like this is accessible to generalists like me, thanks to Wikipedia policies. If no expert is willing to put it there, then the experts are keeping it hidden.
    ...or they consider it so elementary that it can be construed as common knowledge. As far as expert knowledge is concerned, it was pretty difficult for me to locate a basic journal article on basic workings of the earth's interior. Instead, I found an article on extrasolar planets, plus a number of articles on geological history, which, unfortunately, were not all available in full text form on the internet.
    Last edited by Midnight Roamer; 2009-04-05 at 02:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Thanks! I'll read through those when I have the time. There's just something so... primal.. about vulcanology. Brings out the inner child, yeh?
    Yes there is. I wish I had the chance to construct one of those working volcanoes in science class back in high school. However, I believe 'funds were low'.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Question Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by chefsotero View Post
    But people do have heads, guts, noses and butts in our world, It would make litel sense to threat someone with "I will rip your Guseophilion and sitck it in your Felkon". In Erfworld it would make no sense to threaten someone with "I'll eat your children"

So to be a threat at least she needs to have blood and understand so. Regardless of the actual possibility of drinking it or not.
    Well, even though I don't, technically, have a Guseophilion or Felkon--at least I hope I don't--I'd still construe the phrase as a threat of bodily injury. Of course that's based upon context and upon what would be a reasonable real world assumption that Guseophilion and Felkon were foreign names for parts of my body. I don't think it completely applies in Erfworld where everyone seems to speak the same language.
    Would we be making the same assumptions if the Trannies were not based upon stereotypical vampires?
    What if they still were everything we see as vampiric and had stated, "We'll drink your felkon over a peppy campfire tune..."? Would we still read "blood" in felkon?
    Last edited by Midnight Roamer; 2009-04-05 at 02:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not an expert, but I have some knowledge in the field (something of a generalist, like you). Your original post prompted a similar reaction for me that it did for Midnight Roamer; I've rarely had so much desire to argue with a collection of statements that were individually true. Now, take that as you will (I decided not to make the post, and I don't intend to make it here), but I found Midnight Roamer's response to be reasonable.

Regarding the order of volcanic events - I wouldn't be surprised if first Zombie Volcano did whatever was necessary to croak all of the units in its own hex, then did whatever was necessary to croak the units in adjacent hexes. If it now decides to write its name in ash clouds in the sky, I'll be only mildly surprised by that.

8. - Top - End - #128

I don't think it completely applies in Erfworld where everyone seems to speak the same language.
    Would we be making the same assumptions if the Trannies were not based upon stereotypical vampires?
    What if they still were everything we see as vampiric and had stated, "We'll drink your felkon over a peppy campfire tune..."? Would we still read "blood" in felkon?
    You would "read" some fluid that you have on your body. And Erfling do seen to have a concept of an foringner language (the Tool specifies that his warlord should be able to peack the language).
    So either Erfling do have blood or Ceasar just told Jillian that he will be drinking her urin/bile/aminoatic fluid/some other bodly fluid (maybe an erfling specific).

There is another possibility, he was threatening her of drinking something that she posseses, her beer/juice/soda. This would be possible but very unlikely.....

I still find more likely that erflings do have blood, and either there is an specific mechanism to avoid bleeding in normal wounds or the Trannies (not so shure if I like that name) have an mechanism/thecnic to make someone bleed.

I like to think that the TV side is formed by classical vampires until proven otherwise

PS: Do visity your felkonologist oftem. Better safe than sorry
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

Douglas Adams

9. - Top - End - #129

Heh, I was going to gripe about Vinny crying which kinda put me off, then I saw people calling Captain Jack on it so that puts an acceptable spin on the issue.

At least it's a more interesting subject than people going on about how many knife fighting styles they know or blabbing on about volcanism and geophysics.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Jillian probably has a strike force on par with Caeser's group. There were a few peeps that didn't have the move to reach the bottleneck but they may be nearby. I'm not sure if unipegataurs survived Wanda's light show and if they had a side or were barbarians like Jill.

Getting Faq might be not as easy as Caeser thinks.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Jillian probably has a strike force on par with Caeser's group. There were a few peeps that didn't have the move to reach the bottleneck but they may be nearby. I'm not sure if unipegataurs survived Wanda's light show and if they had a side or were barbarians like Jill.
    I don't really believe that. Any units without the move to intercept Stanley would have been left with the column (and blown up by the volcano).

Jillian and her two gwiffons might be a match for Caesar and his bats (assuming he has any left) if she used her sword instead of a pocket knife, but definitely not if you throw any of the other Transylvito warlords and their bats into it.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
    I don't really believe that. Any units without the move to intercept Stanley would have been left with the column (and blown up by the volcano).
    Then why didn't they assist Ansom when he raided the walls?

My guess is that being bound to Jillian, and having no warlord with them, they could not stay with the coalition once she broke alliance to join TV's side.

13. - Top - End - #133

...or they consider it so elementary that it can be construed as common knowledge. As far as expert knowledge is concerned, it was pretty difficult for me to locate a basic journal article on basic workings of the earth's interior. Instead, I found an article on extrasolar planets, plus a number of articles on geological history, which, unfortunately, were not all available in full text form on the internet.
    And that's my point. I don't have hours to hunt down information that I don't know exists. I have time for basic verification. I'm not going twenty minutes to the library, and cracking open a dozen books on this subject just to chat about an event in a comic. This was hard for you to find, and you knew about it. If I don't, how am I to know when to stop looking? You can't know to search for something until you know it exists.

But as for "common knowledge", that's what Encyclopedias are for, and what Wikipedia is. They are intended to teach everyone, from the smallest child to the oldest of the old. It must, therefore, contain everything required to explain something. Now, Wikipedia is a work in progress. Not everything gets done right away. But the basics need to be there. Geology is not common knowledge -- none of it. You've seen "Ae you smarter than a 4th grader?" People forget their public school basics, especially things like history and geography. I saw two adults fail to answer, "What are buildings made of curved wood from Japan, China, and Korea called?" Pagoda, of course, but two average men on the street didn't know it. (Yes, I mean literally off the street. It was Cash Cab. I don't know if there's an American version: this one's from Toronto. Cabby picks up people off the street, surprises them by telling them they are on a game show, and asks trivia questions for cash.) They couldn't answer, going wiht "dojo" as a guess. They conked their heads when they got an answer, remembering finally. But the point is that things taught in school at a young age don't stick, and when it's technical and useless information, like a detail about the elemental make-up of magma in a continental volcano vs. oceanic, you can't rely on that as common knowledge. It's important for a small group of geologists, civil engineers, and some otehrs, but for the vast majority, it really is just trivia, and not common knowledge. Encyclopedias are there to answer questions like these. Water is pretty common, isn't it? From Wikipedia: "Water is a common chemical substance that is essential for the survival of all known forms of life." That's all common knowledge, isn't it? And yet it's there, because encyclopedias deal with common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by fractal
    I'm not an expert, but I have some knowledge in the field (something of a generalist, like you). Your original post prompted a similar reaction for me that it did for Midnight Roamer; I've rarely had so much desire to argue with a collection of statements that were individually true.
    Heh, I've never had so much problem with being right. (Yes, only partially right. Dramatizing.)

I've done a little more study, and I know which information I had wrong. I suspect it was due to when I went to school, and the slow change of science in schools relative to when it is discovered outside (tehre is always a lag as science goes from being proposed, agreed upon, and then the textboks change, and the schools get money for textbooks). I'm pretty sure I was taught a completely different formation of the outer mantle than you were. Wikipedia tells us that the Upper Mantle is solid (not liquid as I'm pretty certain i was taught long ago), and the lithosphere floats on a rocky layer with liquid properties called the asthenosphere. I guarantee, I never heard of that in high school: I'm pretty sure subducted plates descended into a molten mantle. Now the only truly liquid layer is much deeper: the outer core. Now let me point out that is seemingly inconsistent with this image which looks to me like the asthenosphere is made of the same magma that wells up from the shield volcano. But go to the description of the asthenosphere, and it's not molten. The image shows that the magma is red, but the asthenosphere only slightly yellower... unless you know to look for that slight colour difference, it seems to be a liquid rock layer.

Still, you're not saying that I was wrong about magma, though? It can remain hot without pressure, and dormant for millenia, until something changes causing it to well up again?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

And that's my point. I don't have hours to hunt down information that I don't know exists. I have time for basic verification. I'm not going twenty minutes to the library, and cracking open a dozen books on this subject just to chat about an event in a comic. This was hard for you to find, and you knew about it. If I don't, how am I to know when to stop looking? You can't know to search for something until you know it exists.

But as for "common knowledge", that's what Encyclopedias are for, and what Wikipedia is. They are intended to teach everyone, from the smallest child to the oldest of the old. It must, therefore, contain everything required to explain something. Now, Wikipedia is a work in progress. Not everything gets done right away. But the basics need to be there. Geology is not common knowledge -- none of it. You've seen "Ae you smarter than a 4th grader?" People forget their public school basics, especially things like history and geography. I saw two adults fail to answer, "What are buildings made of curved wood from Japan, China, and Korea called?" Pagoda, of course, but two average men on the street didn't know it. (Yes, I mean literally off the street. It was Cash Cab. I don't know if there's an American version: this one's from Toronto. Cabby picks up people off the street, surprises them by telling them they are on a game show, and asks trivia questions for cash.) They couldn't answer, going wiht "dojo" as a guess. They conked their heads when they got an answer, remembering finally. But the point is that things taught in school at a young age don't stick, and when it's technical and useless information, like a detail about the elemental make-up of magma in a continental volcano vs. oceanic, you can't rely on that as common knowledge. It's important for a small group of geologists, civil engineers, and some otehrs, but for the vast majority, it really is just trivia, and not common knowledge. Encyclopedias are there to answer questions like these. Water is pretty common, isn't it? From Wikipedia: "Water is a common chemical substance that is essential for the survival of all known forms of life." That's all common knowledge, isn't it? And yet it's there, because encyclopedias deal with common knowledge.
    Isn't that the problem with internet discussions, though? Pretty much anyone can use common sources and pose as a faux expert an any topic. Look at the progression of this discussion.
    We've come far afield from "how long will the volcano remain active?" We've gone into real-world physics, which may not even apply, and now here we are discussing what's 'really' supposed to be in encyclopedias. I spent maybe 20 mins looking up the information I used before. I spent even more time on the links I provided after, at someone's request, because I wanted to make sure that I gave good sources. Regardless of how far we've already gone, here I am looking at a big wall of text trying to figure out where it's going to end.

Here, at the tail end of the discussion, you throw up your hands and say, "I'm no expert, I don't have time to do the research". It's an interesting escape for someone who earlier requested sources from me. As if your position in life somehow entitles you to demand things from people that you would not do yourself. If you'd like the last word on this topic, you may have it.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Post Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post

Jillian and her two gwiffons might be a match for Caesar and his bats (assuming he has any left) if she used her sword instead of a pocket knife, but definitely not if you throw any of the other Transylvito warlords and their bats into it.
    I don't understand why people would think Jillian is a match for Ceasar. Isn't he a Chief Warlord? Don't his bats have extra Ooomph (tm)? By end of turn, any bats killed in his stack should be replaced, and I did see plenty of bats survive the scuffle with Stanley. All we see with Jillian are a couple of gwiffons. Even without stack, one to one, Jillian should be no match for him. If for some reason she gets some wacky bonus to fighting in the boundaries of her homeland, or if somehow Vinnie is able to aid her in combat (though I don't think he can) there may be complications. With what we know about the power levels involved, though, I'd have to say that the smart money is on Ceasar (who is a prick, btw).

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

About the blood issue, she surely seem to have blood here. Unless that red thing from her wounds is ketchup
    Last edited by Elhoim; 2009-04-05 at 07:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thumbs up Re: Erfworld 152 - tBfGK - 139

Quote Originally Posted by Elhoim View Post
    About the blood issue, she surely seem to have blood here. Unless that red thing from her wounds is ketchup
    Hey, good catch.
    More here too. So okay, Felkin...err blood...does exist in Erf. I suppose it's just not as prominent as some people expect from a wargame comic.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't understand why people would think Jillian is a match for Ceasar. Isn't he a Chief Warlord?
    She's a Royal. Stanley beat Caeser, Jillian would have killed him. She's pretty strong with a stack of peeps on her side.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

She's a Royal. Stanley beat Caeser, Jillian would have killed him. She's pretty strong with a stack of peeps on her side.
    Stanley has what is quite literally an epic artifact on his side, and full flight of dwagons, and he still just smacked down Ceasar, but didn't kill him.
    Jillian is nobility and we know that gives her a bonus, but we don't know what that bonus is. Further, Transilvito is ruled by nobility, it is reasonable to assume that Ceasar has some title. Vinnie's a count, himself. Hell, Ceasar may even be a title rather than a name. I don't think she could take him, from what we see, he's already beaten her, unarmed when she pulled a knife on him, from relative surprise.

20. - Top - End - #140

Hey, good catch.
    More here too. So okay, Felkin...err blood...does exist in Erf. I suppose it's just not as prominent as some people expect from a wargame comic.
    *sighs*

Neither link has blood. Neither Chef nor I said that people can't get wounded. It's quite obvious that there is flesh, bones and perhaps even organs underneath, as is made clear with the wounded dwagons but there is no blood. Not a single drop anywhere. I suggest you read comics like Goblins if you still don't understand the difference. That comic has buckets of blood.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2009-04-05 at 08:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Here, at the tail end of the discussion, you throw up your hands and say, "I'm no expert, I don't have time to do the research". It's an interesting escape for someone who earlier requested sources from me. As if your position in life somehow entitles you to demand things from people that you would not do yourself. If you'd like the last word on this topic, you may have it.
    Now, that's interesting. Let's ignore that over the three days of this, it's perfectly reasonable for me to find more moments to do more study. (I may not have had the time before the first one, but hey, we're not talking about just a comic volcano anymore... you're attacking my credibility, which I have a lot more time for.)

Do you think I made up the word "asthenosphere"? I had to pull that out of somewhere real. (Besides linking an image with Asthenosphere right on it last message, I mean.) And I didn't throw up my hands. I actually admitted I was wrong. I was bringing the argument back, away from the distractions, and trying to get back on the science you accused me of having wrong. Now that I have a better idea of what the modern science of geology says, I wanted to try to ensure I could reconstruct my earlier argument you'd complained about to your satisfaction: that was your complaint, after all, and you made your case adequately enough. This is what you wanted, wasn't it? You wantted me getting it right? But no, I get a characterization. "I'm no expert, I don't have time to do the research"? Where did that come from? I opened that paragraph with "I've done a little more study, and I know which information I had wrong." I brought up two facts previously unstated (asthenosphere and Upper Mantle state). Threw up my hands? I posted both my old knowledge and new? How is that giving up? Clearly I did the work to correct myself: there's no giving up in that.

So ultimately you really have me confused, but not about science: I can research, given sufficient time, so now that I know that my knowledge on this is not up to date, I can make it up to date, without any guidance if necessary so I don't need you. I'm confused about you. You're annoyed at me because I got it wrong, annoyed at me for wanting to know where to go to find the real knowledge, and annoyed at me for when I actually find it myself and get it right. I'm really wondering what I could have said that would have left you satisfied. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that "nothing" is the right answer.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

[...]
    I used Wikipedia as well, but I looked up magma . If you look at composition on the same page, you will note that composition varies. I wandered over to outer core but found only a stub. Still, in the stub the outer core's composition is given as nickel and iron. I did some skimming of an article available through my University Library, but I don't think the links would work here, as I'm not likely to post my password to log into the library. Either way, the same solution presents itself. Molten rock in the outer core is primarily nickel and iron, a composition that is given to us by tests because we don't ever see it. Magma in the mantle and crust are made of various silicates, and the composition varies more than that of the molten core.
    The eruption is explosive. This suggests high SiO2.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    *sighs*

Neither link has blood. Neither Chef nor I said that people can't get wounded. It's quite obvious that there is flesh, bones and perhaps even organs underneath, as is made clear with the wounded dwagons but there is no blood. Not a single drop anywhere. I suggest you read comics like Goblins if you still don't understand the difference. That comic has buckets of blood.
    Sure, it's not gory, nor bloody, but it's blood. Erfworld is running on the convention of showing no gory blood, like many games and shows do. Many movies have guns shoting people and no blood is seen, but that doesn't mean that people in them don't have blood. Check The Matrix Reloaded, for example. In the chateau fight no blood is seen except when is needed to show that Neo is human. In the rest of the fight seing it is avoided, though you hear bloody sounds, you don't see actual blood. Same here, there was no need to show blood, but I'm pretty sure that it will appear when necesary.

It's an artistic and sometimes commercial convention usually made to appeal a wider audience or to avoid excessive goriness. That does not mean that blood does not exist, just that the creator avoids showing it and does so only when necessary.

And just for the sake of arguing, wounds, especially red ones, are coagulated blood. Just because you don't see them in the liquid state doesn't mean they are not blood.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think she could take him, from what we see, he's already beaten her, unarmed when she pulled a knife on him, from relative surprise.
    Yes, and Bogroll could also finish an unarmed Ansom. The knife fight doesn't mean much. Now if she pulled a gwiffon and her big sword...

I'd like to see her wipe the floor with the TV warlords and only spare Vinny because of this moment.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yes, and Bogroll could also finish an unarmed Ansom. The knife fight doesn't mean much. Now if she pulled a gwiffon and her big sword...

I'd like to see her wipe the floor with the TV warlords and only spare Vinny because of this moment.
    I guess I just don't like her that much. I suppose we will just have to see what happens if and when they throw down. Of course, it would hardly ever be a fair fight between the two, one is a main character and the other is not. She is expected to win, and I guess that's one reason why I'd like to see her lose.

26. - Top - End - #146

It's an artistic and sometimes commercial convention usually made to appeal a wider audience or to avoid excessive goriness. That does not mean that blood does not exist, just that the creator avoids showing it and does so only when necessary.

And just for the sake of arguing, wounds, especially red ones, are coagulated blood. Just because you don't see them in the liquid state doesn't mean they are not blood.
    But there is the possibility that there is somekind of rule/mechanics/adaptation on the erflings that does not allow then to bleed, similar to the one that refrain then from cursing. For boop sake, it would be consitent with the scenario that there is no bleeding but there still blood.

So maybe its only not shown for aesthetics sake, maybe it does not flow but the fact that Ceasar mention it and Jillian understood makes it clear that Erfling do have blood.

Douglas Adams

27. - Top - End - #147

Quite right Chef.

I'm not sure why we need to argue this. We are all in basic agreement that "blood" exists.

It's quite clear that there is some sort of blood, Caesar said so.

The only point of concention is that blood hasn't shown itself in the conventional sense. Some seem to think that this is an artistic choice but when you have gory wounds of people/creatures that are half ripped open and there is not a drop to be had, it's a reasonable assumption that Erfworlders don't bleed when wounded. Why this is? No idea but it's pretty clear that it must be so. I'm personally of the opinion that "blood" is some sort of a stand in word for life essence but the exact mechanics don't matter.

I think it would be cool if Parson's blood was some kind of acid so any weapon that cut him would instantly dissolve.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2009-04-05 at 11:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    That's no true! He spends a good deal of time in self-delusional illusions of grandeur.
    Illusions of grandeur are of course a byproduct of foolamancy.

Delusions of grandeur, on the other hand, are the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Anyway, Vinnie finally reveals a soft side. Who would guess vampires can cry too?
    Dude, you're surprised that goths cry?

Even if they're part goth and part mafia, they're still goth. That means deep down they're all whiny little crybabies who write bad poetry.

That's why they sing showtunes. It's the musical dance-fight equivalent of bad poetry.

29. - Top - End - #149

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The TV cahracters are powerful, Jillian is major nasty and Caeser took her down easily as vampires are super strong. Also they drink blood.
    And yet Stanley laid the smackdown on Cesar and all of his bats in one hit.
    What does that say about how powerful Stanley (with the hammer) is, compared to Cesar?

And I don't think Vinnie will be able to save her in the end.
    Except that Don King seems to respect Vinny's opinion quite a bit.
    That must have some major pull. Plus Vinny's a noble - he just doesn't lay it out like Ansom did.

Founding member of the "She's Dead Jim" Club.
    I like my acronym better, but I'll still agree with your general message.

30. - Top - End - #150

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the_tick_rules View Post
    Now we get some hot, hot, comfort sex.
    Bow chicka wow wow.