New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Rata-ji goes pale, shocked by both the imperious mean of the child-who-is-no-child, and by his sudden promotion. "Five good men?" he nervously stammers, entirely unsure of himself. "Junpei, my supervisor. Kara. Sanzo. Arete. Yuko." he says, shakily pointing out four men and one woman. Most of them about as young as he is, if not a little older; only Junpei looks older than forty. "They all actually do their work, which isn't really how things are done here. None of them work the guard's books, or the tax registry. They're really all good people, gods bear witness."

He follows Ivory Eyes to the door; not until too late does he catch on to the fact that she's leaving, alone. As she questions him, he stands utterly baffled. Thaumaturgy? The little magics are not unknown in Lotus, but few in the bureaucracy have ever had need of them–save only the fiendish philosopher-bureaucrats of ancient Meru, who calculated taxes by casting horoscopes and bound the very demons of hell to correlate their paperwork.

Walking out into the city of Lotus, Ivory Eyes (and any who follow her) surveys the muscle and mechanism the city, getting a feel for the flow of jade and silver. The fields surround the city, worked from dawn to dusk by the farmers, half-tenant and half-serf. A few pointed interviews reveals much of how the system works: the landowners own the fields, but stay in their urbane mansions, never personally tending to the land. The farmers pay for the right to work a piece of land, planting whatever they are ordered to by the landowners, and entitled to a small share of what they harvest. Enough to live on; nowhere near enough to thrive on. The rest is given to the landowners, who sell it to the merchants, who sell most of it to the Guild. What remains to feed the people of Lotus is rarely enough, and sold at prices that know no compassion for starving children or haggard farmers.

More fortunate than the farmers, though not by much, are the artisans. Their workshops stand between the periphery of the city and its governmental heart, a cluster of brick-boxes, dull and uninspired. Ivory Eyes' survey does not impress her with its results; skilled as some of them are, the craftsmen lack the capital or competence to operate a full-scale business. Instead, they sell what they make to the city's merchants, glorified middlemen.

Operating under arcane trade deals forged with the Guild, the merchants buy the artisan's goods for a pittance, and sell them to the Guild. They are then marketed elsewhere in Creation as authentic Haltan or Linowan handicraft, and sold for much more than they're worth (or at least, so mutter the older and more jaded craftsman). In turn, they middlemen buy up all manner of shoddy goods from the Guild, and sell them for as much as they dare to the people of Lotus. Those artisans who have tried selling their own goods in Lotus have found that they either go under within scarcely more than a season, undermined by their own lack of experience or equipment, or are forced into a price war with the merchants. The result is inevitably the same–the artisan's business folds, and they are forced into an even less equitable contract with the merchants in order to keep their family fed.

Such is the way of the world. The farmers toil, and receive nothing. The craftsmen toil, and receive little. The nobles recline on their lofty couches, and prosper. And above all the Guild, with its puppet-merchants, cheats everyone of their rice and jade.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-22 at 08:23 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr followed Ivory Eyes out, but he quickly split off from her, having his own tasks to take care of. After getting directions from whatever clerk happened to be nearby, he marched off purposefully towards the guard's barracks. His posture confident, he made straight for the main entrance.

Time for a change.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

"Will you be available in a day or two to begin teaching your crafts, Ivory?" Rising Echo asks her right before she leaves.

Either way, he turns to the bureaucrats still in the queue. "And as for all of you. We will see Lotus rise in prestige and power, however those who stay employed will benefit because of that. You will not use Lotus to line your pockets. Lotus will line your pockets only if you are helping to make it great."

Rising Echo then looks around. "Now, I need to see all written trade agreements that Lotus has with anyone. And the tax code. We're going to have some changes."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The barracks are more impressive than anything you've seen in Lotus so far, inasmuch as they seem competently run. The watch-house stands three stories tall, and with fortifications sufficient to withstand any riot. Its walls are of humble enough brick, but iron bars block off windows and other weak points, with every pillar or column reinforced by bands of steel. Crenelations line the rooftop, promising lethal response should there be an attack against the watch house. Behind the barracks proper stands the training field, walled-in but still visible. Training dummies hang from tree-limbs, archery targets stand riddled with broadheads, and all sorts of practice equipment lies about. From what you were able to gather from the maps at the mayoral palace, this is but one of about a dozen scattered across the city. While Captain Transval may have is flaws, none can question that the guard has done its job under his command.

A pair of guards stand at attention at the main door, pikes at the ready. They lower them to greet Zephyr, though–Lotus is not so unruly a city that visitors need be greeted by spearpoint. "Greetings, stranger. Welcome to Central. Do you have a report to make–or is a man like you looking for a job here? We could always use another pair of boots out on the street, I say. " His voice is friendly and warm, a far cry from Captain Transval's mien.

Rising Echo

Poring over the collected trade agreements and tax codes of Lotus proves to be as uninteresting as it sounds, but nevertheless enlightening. While most of the trade agreements are pedestrian fare, some of the secret bargains volunteered by eager-to-please bureaucrats are a bit more significant. Almost all of these seem to be made with the Guild, rather than any neighboring city, and their terms are truly sinister. "Discounted price on all wild rice shipments, pursuant to the prevailing market cost on the Blessed Isle and taking into account the local salt rates, for the next ten years in exchange for biannual deliveries of 50 healthy slaves, undocumented." "Enforced non-competition throughout all fields of industry in compliance with the standard Guild favored buyer mandates." "Exclusive rights to all sub-prime debt purchased, with contingent restrictions on statutory investment quotas."

The exact economic details are hard to pin down, even for the collective bureaucratic talent assembled in the hall, but the generals seem easy enough to discern. The Guild has free reign in Lotus, is buying at prices drastically below what they ought be paying, and is most likely entangled in all sorts of investments throughout the city. Each and every secret agreement is stamped with a familiar emblem, the mirror-image imprint of the sigil on the mayoral seal that Rising Echo now holds. In addition, each one is marked with an idiosyncratic signature-glyph, a stylized "T" inside a swooping curve. If Echo's suspicions hold any truth, the circle's special patient would likely be behind this.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr grinned at the man - apparently the new changes to the status quo hadn't quite reached here yet. He wondered how these men would react when they found out. Drawing himself up to his full height, he spoke in a voice that was commanding, yet not haughty.

I'm sure you could. One of the first things I plan on seeing to, as a matter of fact. There's been a... change. I'm the new co-Captain of the guard, along with Captain Transval, and the new Commander of the Caravan Guard. As I said, changes. Just went through this morning. He paused, trying to gauge the man's reaction. I'm guessing you'll want to send a runner down to the bureaucrats to confirm this, as everything just went into effect this morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Making a Presence + Charisma check to persuade him, buying 2 successes with 4 motes. (7d10)[10][1][5][4][8][7][10](45)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighs at the trade agreements with the Guild. Those would take some time to remove, without bringing the entirety of the Guild down upon Lotus. He'd need to give Zephyr at least a little time to get the guard and an army together.

However, he'd break those as they came up.

For the moment though... "We have a major trade imbalance here." Rising Echo waves several documents around, his voice rising. "Those with a noble title have a forty percent reduction of taxes, just because they're noble. A handful of nobles crush the multitude of common craftsmen, because they can skate just about every tax! Not anymore." Ink flies from pen to parchment, as Echo slashes and rewrites a portion of the code. "Ten percent, not forty. We'll revisit dropping it all together later."

He continues reading through the tax codes. "Ninety-five percent maximum allowed for a noble to take from those who work his land? Ninety-five? How do you live off of five percent of the land. That's just a few potatoes and a cupful of rice! Sixty percent, and the nobles can come complain to me about it." The paper becomes a mass of slashes and rewrites as Echo continues moving through the documents, toning down the ludicrous excesses that nobles and merchants alike have had written into the laws over the years. Laws that singly do not give much advantage, but taken as a whole beat the entire structure of Lotus into the morass of sluggish trade that it is today.

Transval had done his own work well enough for his purposes, but they were now going to be reversed.

Coming to the end of the documents, Rising Echo looked at the piles of parchment he'd already run through, and then the hundreds more documents that were the special trade partners of the Guild forms. Those... those would be dealt with in due time. However, taking a few clean parchments, he calmly rewrote the things he'd slashed, dashed, and corrected.

"Any member of the Guild that comes through Lotus must speak with me before he is allowed to enact any portion of a trade contract that they have. There will be no exceptions." Rising Echo says, finally finishing the new copies of the trade and taxes for inside Lotus.

Spoiler
    Show

Int+Bureaucracy, spending 8 personal on First excellency, 1 Willpower for an auto success: (16d10)[2][7][5][8][8][4][7][7][5][8][9][8][3][2][6][3](92)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The guards gape at you, slack-jawed with shock...but your words ring loud with the truth, and they cannot deny you. The one speaking to you, a lanky redhead, snaps to full attention, nearly dropping his short pike as he scrambles to salute you. "Yes sir! I'll send some men down to the palace to retrieve the proper forms and paperwork. Now, I'm sure you'll want to be shown around the guardhouse, sir? Or maybe just up to the lieutenant's office, to speak with him? Whatever you wish, sir."

Rising Echo

With every stroke of your quill, the fate of Lotus is forever rewritten, as if its tapestry upon the grand Loom of Fate were to be threaded with strands of spun silver and jade lace. With a backstroke, you erase poverty from the future of Lotus; with a footnote, you spell equality; with the heavy weight of a semi-colon, you separate out the righteous from the wicked, allotting to them each their merited rewarded. In days to come, the poor will be fed, will grow strong on the fruits of their own work. The nobles will chafe at their newly laid restrictions, but they will retain more than enough to maintain their wealth. The Guild will squirm and scheme, frustrated by the unraveling of its plans, but not even their not-inconsiderable power will prove of avail against the new tax codes and provisions Rising Echo has put in place. He has forged a bulwark of words, a mighty vault which no thief may pick the lock of. He is as a Lawgiver of old, and the law has been given.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-22 at 10:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes returns to the palace after a few hours of wandering, flustered and flushed and red. She bursts in on Echo, flinging the doors open with all the strength she can muster. Rata-ji follows after her, taking down notes as his mistress rushes forward, eyes as bright as the sun.

"I want a festival by next week commemorating the bounteous industry and boundless spirit of the farmers and artisans of Lotus. Inform them that I will be holding audiences every day from dawn until noon, and that they may bring their grievances to me directly. And food. I'll find...there has to be a spirit that can help feed these people. And material. Inform the landowners that I'm taking over all eviction hearings, and that anyone working outside of that process will answer to me directly. Echo," she says at last, reaching the Eclipse's side.

"We need to talk about Transval."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr scratched his chin thoughtfully Yes, do so. Mmmm.. best go see the Lieutenant first. It's the polite thing to do, after all, and I'm sure he'd prefer to know whose wandering around in his station house. After I consult with him, I'll have the tour. He gave the man a nod, and indicated for him to lead the way, and then gave a sly grin. Besides, that'll give the men a chance to make sure that everything's in proper condition so as I don't have to chew anyone out. Not the best way to start my first day on the job, eh? Though after meeting the Captain, I rather doubt there's much room for laxity. Fellow runs a tight ship, I imagine. By the way, what's your name, soldier?
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-04-23 at 07:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighs and nods. Looking to his Secretary, he speaks to him first. "Let's get Ivory's festival set up. In seven days, it will be held. I will see what I can do to get O-Mochi to appear there as well.."

He then looks to Ivory and replies to her concerns. "I've spent the last few hours rewriting the tax and law codes, and the landowners and nobles can no longer arbitrarily evict anyone. They must go through the government. We can set you up as the arbitrator. As for Transval, I know at least what he has at least done to the people through the laws, and I'm completely writing those out. Is there something else I'm missing?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes gesticulates rudely and sharply as she speaks, punctuating each sentence by pounding her fist into her other hand:

"This is unacceptable. You've seen his laws, but have you seen their effects? Have you gone out there and seen just what these people have to live on? It was all I could do to stop myself from raining down a less-than-metaphorical brimstone then and there," she says, running a hand over her hair to smooth it back. "So much needs to be done to free this city from the Guild's shadow, I'm still not sure where to start. The landowners will struggle against your laws."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

"Then they can struggle. the laws include penalties for not following them, up to and including military backed enforcement of the laws." Rising Echo explains. "Fines for not following the laws are fair, but also rise dependant on how often they are broken. We will have this fixed by the festival, Ivory." Echo's voice is a calm counterpoint to Ivory's exclamations.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The guard taps his partner on the shoulder, sending him up to inform the Lieutenant of your arrival. "Yes, we've been given a rather stricter set of regulations since last year, sir. I like them, though–keeps the boys on the alert, makes sure there's no slacking off. Shame it's not put a stop to crime in Lotus, but there's scarce a man who can steal a loaf of bread or a handful of jade without feeling the blue fury of the guard." he boasts. He leads you into the guardhouse's foyer, an austere lobby where a portly, older guard sits at a desk, filling out forms. He points up at a flight of stairs, well-maintained wooden steps. "The Lieutenant's office is at the top of those, sir." He moves to leave, but is caught unprepared by Zephyr's question. "Sir? Oh, yes, of course. Nicholas, Sergeant Nicholas. Sir."

Ivory Eyes and Rising Echo

As you commiserate over the town's inequities, with Yomiko and the Watcher looking on, clouds of bureaucrats get to work planning the festival. Under Yomiko's watch, the newly-founded Ministry of Culture sets about seeking out the names of musicians and artists, and arranging venues in which the festival might occur. Rata-ji has taken on a new air of authority, it seems, sending out couriers to the local merchantry to make arrangements for catering en masse. All about you, the apparatus of government bends to your will–in seven days, there will be a festival, and it will be a thing of magnificence.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded to Nicholas as he ascended the staircase. Good man, Sergeant. I'll speak with the Lieutenant and explain the situation. Shouldn't be too long, so you might want to pass the word on to the men. With that, Zephyr ascended the staircase to the Lieutenant's office.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

You find the Lieutenant's door is already open; he is clearly prepared to receive you. As you enter, you find that he has just stood up from his desk. He is a tall man, broad of shoulder and firm of muscle. While his hair is grey with age, it is still cut short with military discipline. He wears a loose-fitting green vest and simple, but comfortable trousers, surprisingly civilian dress for his rank. However, the audible clink as he stands up betrays chainmail beneath his vestments, and the sword he wears on his leather belt is strikingly unceremonial.

"I'm told that you're the new Vice-Captain of the Guard, sir. Welcome to the Central Lotus Watch House. I am Lieutenant Baldrick, and I hope you find my men in order. Now, what business brings you here?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded to the Lieutenant. Zephyr's bearing was almost unconciously shifting to suit the environment - his stance even more erect, alert, and perhaps just a bit agressive than normal. Today's visit is mostly to get me acquainted with the Guard's system. I'd like the pertinent details such as manpower, the rough organization of said manpower, that sort of thing. Informally, I'd also like your opinion, and the opinion of any you think qualified to give it, on any problem areas or things that are in need of improvement. Myself and the other new administrators in Lotus have plans for expanding and improving the city, and the Guard needs to be able to meet those challenges.

Also, we're going to be setting up a new caravan guard, and probably employing a goodly number more men in the near future. We need to prepare for those changes as well. There'll be a good deal more in the future - I'd like to look over your training regimen, for example, and perhaps lend my expertise there, but today, I mostly simply want to get a feel for how the organization runs and start planning for what we need to do to make it run smoother. The Captain has been doing a good job, from what I see, but the needs of the city are going to change soon, and the guard will have to change, too.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The Lieutenant smiles, and pulls out a few papers and rosters from his elm desk's top drawer. "Well then, I believe I can help you. The city employs a total of about three hundred watchmen and guards, divided up between twelve precincts. The lion's share of the manpower is divided up among three of these–Central, where you are right now; Mountain Brook, which services the landowners; and Hilltop, which manages the markets. Six more include the rest of the city, and two others keep order out in the fields. The last precinct isn't actually a real district, mind you, they guard caravans and trade routes. The biggest trouble we've had has been in the markets; it seems like every day some farmer decides to steal a haul of rice or raid the salt stores. Just petty thefts, but they've been happening more and more often. The way of the world, I suppose."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded, wearing a slightly cynical smile. "I see. Meaning you're mostly guarding the wealthy and everyone else gets the scraps." He held up a hand to forestall protest. "I know it's the way of the world, and I don't blame you a bit. But we're going to be making some changes around here. I don't want us to be hired guards for those who can pay - well, except for the Caravan Guard, but that's another story. I'd like to spread the protection out more evenly, so that we're where we're needed, and not just looking sharp so the rich merchants feel safe. Tell me honestly, Lieutenant, what do you think needs fixing?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The Lieutenant gives a half-smile, trying to squash any outward appearance of his true feelings. "Well, sir. I would start with the commanders–about half the Lieutenants in the city districts, and both of the ones out in the fields are practically green recruits. You would want them replaced with men from Central, ones who've been able to pick up some experience, but aren't just hired help for the nobles or merchants. And as you did that, you'd also have to find out any corruption in the ranks. I wish I could tell you were to look, but it's not as if you could simply point out the entire chain in command in Mountain Brook and Hilltop and say that they're taking bribes." The suppressed grin and furtive wink he gives you clearly indicate that this is entirely true.

He sits back down at his desk, folding his hands and resting the base of his chin on them. "Re-distribute manpower. A third of the guard serves in Central or Mountain Brook, and reported incidences of crime are barely anything. The city districts, on the other hand, are lucky to have two dozen men. And up recruitment, too–right now, I don't think the entire guard in full assembly would be able to put down a city-wide riot, if it started." The nonchalance with which he reveals such secrets is astonishing; he clearly has no doubts as to your position.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded slowly, returning the Lieutenant's wry smile. He did not, of course, trust the man's words at face value. For all Zephyr knew, he was covering for friends or cronies, or else trying to stab potential rivals in the back. Still, he'd take his words under advisement, and perhaps put his suggestions into action after the appropriate double-checking. I appreciate your candor, Lieutenant, so I'll return it - I don't know who to trust right now, and I need good men. I'm going to sniff around through my own channels to make sure that everything you've said checks out, and, when and if it does, you'll be rewarded appropriately.

In the meantime, I want you to let it be known that the guard is recruiting. But I don't want the dregs. Just the cream of the crop. For the city patrol, I want good, honest men, physically fit, not liable to take bribes. Also, As I said, I'll be instituting some new training regimens - I'm going to get this outfit into the best shape it's ever been in.

Now, if you will, have the Guard fall in. I'd like to make it clear what sort of changes are going to be in place around here.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

The captain nods, as he leaves down the stairs. "I'll have recruiters canvass the city. They'll do everything short of dragooning men on the streets." As he walks down the stairs, he calls down below, summoning his men to him. "All men, fall in! Assemble in the training yard for a general review, and stable duties for the last man in formation!"

There is a swift but essentially orderly rush of guards, filing out the back doors into the training yard. They line up in a five-rowed formation, standing at attention for Zephyr's inspection. He finds them to be more well-disciplined than he expected, though many look too old or out of shape to be of any worth in a fight.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr looked down at the troops, giving them a slow grin. He projected his voice out and over the training yard.

Good morning, Guards. I am Co-Captain Zephyr, the newly appointed second head of the Guards, and Captain of the newly established Caravan guard. I've got some good news and some better news.

The good news is that big changes are coming to Lotus, and changes for the good of the city. The better news is that you're going to be at the forefront of those changes. And speaking of changes... there are going to be more than a few of those around here, as well.

His grin took on a slight edge of sadistic glee as he looked down at the men. First off - all bribery and other forms of corruption are ending. Now. Anyone whose participated in such activities has three options. One, you can turn in the money, resign from the Guard, and not face consequences. Two, you can turn in the money, give up the names of the people paying you off, and continue working. The first two options will carry no negative repercussions. The third option is to do neither, get caught, and face very unpleasant consequences.

In addition, I'll be bringing in a lot of new faces, and doing quite a lot of restructuring. Physical training and weapon drills are also getting stepped up. I see a lot of flab around here... but we'll burn that off quick enough.

Now, I'm sure many of you are going to want to put a dagger in my back or something similarly unpleasant over all this. I wouldn't reccomend it. I've got eyes in the back of my head, my lads and lasses, and I hit much, much harder than you. But I promise you this - Myself and my friends are going to make Lotus not just better, but something great. Something grand. You've all got a chance to help in that, to be part of a new age for Lotus. A better, brighter age. Help me, and your potential we be boundless, and your rewards greater than your wildest dreams. Follow me, and I'll make you happy heroes. Aid me, and together, we will be invincible!

He grinned, punching one fist in the air. He had a good feeling about this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma + Presence, buying 2 successes with 4m (7d10)[9][2][3][2][1][5][1](23)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Zephyr

As Zephyr concludes his speech, a few among the guard begin to clap. Soon it builds into a rolling chorus of applause, nearly fifty men all clapping or shouting their approval. A few stay silent, or applaud with perfunctory effort, but they are in the vast minority. There are old men who wince, not eager to return to the practice fields; there are men with well-polished armor and ornamental tassels who anguish over the loss of their little side deals; but all in all, the guards are united in one spirit. You will find little resistance you cannot overcome here.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

A week passes as the circle prepares for the festival. Vice Captain Zephyr begins assessing the strength of the guard, sniffing out corruption and uprooting the chain of command. In the dusky hours of morning, guardsmen go out to secure the festival grounds, ensuring all is safe and free from danger. The Invincible Minister of Culture seeks out what artists and performers Lotus has to offer, arranging a motley retinue of musicians and poets to grace the festival. Ivory Eyes ensures that the festival will be a feast unseen on any table in Lotus, a grand celebration of the farmer's craft. The Watcher keeps to the streets, scoping out the lay of the city. And all the while, Rising Echo keeps his hand on the helm of the government, ensuring that all will go just as planned.

The sun shines brightly against azure skies as the festival day draws nigh, as if even Sol Invictus wished that he might attend. Festive banners line the streets with greens and browns, proclaiming the majesty of the humble farmer. Small icons or shrines to O-Mochi have been erected, their offering bowls heaped high with wild rice. The god himself has taken to walking the streets of Lotus, blessing the citizens who bow at his feet with bags of rice that seem to hold a boundless crop. All seems to be right with the city, at least for this solitary moment of happiness.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo walks through the festival with an air of satisfaction, his work well done in holding the government together along with the others of his newly found circle.

Walking among the vendors, he smiled to see the results of the new taxes and laws taking effect, as prices were slowly starting to return to real numbers. Here and there, he saw farmers and artisans making tentative purchases, still almost not used to having enough to truly enjoy a festival beyond the free.

Stopping at one vendor's booth, Rising Echo looked over the wares. Jewelry, rings, and other small trinkets. Poking through a few of them, he looked up at the young man that watched Echo's hands carefully. "These are very nice works. Do you do custom things? I was thinking of a signet ring for myself, but I do not see anything that catches my fancy."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

The vendor looks up at Rising Echo, eyes filled with hope. "Oh, yes Minister." Already Echo's new position has brought him some small fame, as have those of his circlemates. Most of them are known by name to even the common folk of Lotus, save only Watcher. "Give me but a few days, and I could forge your family crest onto a signet ring. It would be the highest honor!" From a look at the jeweler's works, his skill seems accounted for; however, his rings are bands of copper or silver with gems either small or semiprecious. He lacks the proper resources needed to forge rings fit for the Sun's Chosen.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr, too, was shopping, though his need was perhaps a more practical one. He was looking for a uniform - something tasteful, elegant, and well cut. Silver and blue, he thought with a smile, would suit him well. He could, of course, do without... but still, if he was to make a proper army of the men of Lotus, it would be best for all involved that he had a proper uniform. Asking about, he looked to find the finest tailoring that Lotus could provide.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Perusing the sundry pavilions, Zephyr soon finds a tailor whose talent seems fitting of his vestments. While her garments are spun of dyed wool, not silk, the skill of their weaving is fine enough for a ceremonial parade or gala party. There aren't any in silver or blue, but the seamstress seems more than happy for bespoke jobs.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Satisfied with the quality of the work, Zephyr arranged for the uniform to be delivered to Central as soon as it was done, and wandered onward. He had no particular destination in mind, other than making a general circuit of the festivals. He nodded to the occasional guardsman he saw, and kept on the lookout for Ivory Eyes, but for the most part, he was silent, simply enjoying a brief respite in a hectic and hurried life.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods at the jeweler. "We'll call this first one a test run. I will pay you in full for it, and then should it come out well enough, we'll get you better base materials to make one that is truly grand."

He smiles at the young man. "So you're looking at two commissions, how does that sound?"