New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Rising Echo is interested by the hound riding girl, but is more interested at the current moment by making sure that the group of people don't become rioters again.

For the moment, he moves over to them, intent on discussing the market situation, seeing what their resources are compared to what the market is trying to charge them.

There has to be a median somewhere. He'd start with them, and then use his position to open the markets up a little. Most of the taxes here probably fell under his new umbrella, anyways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if I need to do anything in specific here, but Socialize check with the merchants and patrons:

(15d10)[6][6][4][4][4][10][3][1][9][5][9][4][6][3][7](81) Charisma(4)+Socialize(5)+First Excellency for 6 (personal)

Christ, 5 successes.
    Personal: 2/15
    Peripheral: 43/46
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-05 at 10:43 PM.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo finds the city's folk are less than cooperative, but he still manages to wring some details out of their stony silence. From what you can tell, not a one of the goods sold in these pavilions was actually made in Lotus's bounds; the merchants import all their wares from other Eastern cities and even the Realm proper, incurring no small cost. That, coupled with the obscene taxes the mayor commands on all sales as well as that imposed by the satrap, forces prices far beyond their appointed mark if merchants are to profit. The people, though they do not outright tell you, clearly cannot afford any scrap of luxury, and are oft hard-pressed to even purchase food. There is a certain sickness in the city–the workers cannot afford to eat, and thus suffer; the merchants cannot sell their wares, and thus suffer; the landowners lack men to harvest their fields, and thus suffer. Only the mayor and his bureaucratic constellation could ever afford any but the cheapest wares of the market with any ease, and they prefer to turn their jade to the Guild, rather than local markets.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes clambers back unto her hound, who resumes his formerly regal posture with aplomb. Ivory smiles first to the "Minister of Trade," then to the two concealed Solars pointed out by the Minister.

"Strange circumstances bring strange fellows to Lotus,"
    she announces, obfuscating her meaning but fixing each in turn with her piercingly clear stare. "By the roll or by the design of Fate, we're here. Isn't it...brilliant? Golden, almost?" she asserts, brows arching. Her eyes invite them, direct them; her body language is a single, simple message: follow. And the hound runs.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

"Golden." Rising Echo laughs. Looking at the merchants and men he has been talking to, he excuses himself, after promising them that he will have the local taxes corrected. The satrap taxes he can't do anything about, yet, but the local taxes would see changes.

Moving off at an unhurried pace, Echo doesn't rise to the bait of tearing off after the fast running hound.

If the girl wished to talk to him, she'd make certain he wouldn't get lost.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr slipped out, shadowing the hound on feet like the wind. He moved swiftly and easily, his feet barely touching the pavement. He moved through the city easily, his breathing even. After a time, he broke out of an alleyway, appearing swift and quiet like the nightwind and the side of Ivory Eyes' running hound, a smile on his lips. He spoke to her as he matched the beast's pace, as if he were no more than walking, after first assuring that no-one was within listening distance. His eyes flicked between the minister and Ivory Eyes for a moment, before he at last decided that the god was in her confidence.

Ivory Eyes, Exalted of the Unconquered Sun - I am Zephyr Scales-of-War, Exalt of Luna, Full Moon Caste, and member of the Silver Pact. I offer you my greetings and my friendship. And to you, Minister of Rice, I offer my respect as well, and your thanks for your assistance in the marketplace.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher

It wasn't supposed to work this way. He preferred to stay hidden, on the edge of one's vision. But this, how was he supposed to stay unnoticed when there were beings pointing him out for all to see? The majority of his clothing was unassuming. A long brown coat with boots and a wide brimmed hat. It was his face, however, that was the reason he preferred to stay out of sight. The mask that covered it would have appeared to be of simple cloth, were it not for it's mirror-like quality.

"Yomiko." he finally said to his companion. "It looks like someone wants an audience with us. I will meet back with you once we have privacy, away from these crowds."

With that he seemingly vanishes into the mass of people, following not far behind Ivory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using 3 personal motes for Easily Overlooked Presence method.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Invincible Maiden Yomiko

The beautiful woman clad in thick armor stood quietly before, fearing riots would cause harm not only to itself but innocents nearby. The innocent she feared most was asleep on her shoulders. Yomiko stood one and a half meters tall with long, cascading black hair, a gorgeous face non could forget and gold colored armor with a brown cloak draped over it to keep attention away as much as possible from her armor, with the help of her face. Also tied around her waist seemingly uncomfortable, but to make room for the girl sleeping on her shoulders is something large, long and not-so-broad.
    She looked up when Watcher called to her, as if coming out of a trance, blinking a few times and giving a smile to him. "Of course, you've never been one for big groups." And she paused, still smiling until she began to follow Ivory Eyes.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

8. - Top - End - #38

Those who follow Ivory Eyes find themselves drawn on a winding path through the roads of Lotus--if they can be called roads. The hound bounds without leaving a single mote of dust perturbed in his wake, always swift but never too swift, always letting those follow who keep up. Ivory turns her attentions first to the Lunar abreast of her hound. A few minutes later, and Ivory leads the chase into the woodlands surrounding Lotus proper.

"Greetings, Zephyr-Scales-of-War,"
    she says in his very own tone and manner. "And for the honor you have done me today, may I welcome you, humbly," she says as her hound skids to a sudden stop and she slides off with a practiced sort of grace.

"To my home,"
    she says at last, pushing aside a large sheet of brush to reveal a strange sight at the center of a clearing: it looks to be a ramshackle house, comfortable and thatched and sort of picturesque, mounted atop a truly monstrous creature of black crystal and adamant carved into a spider's shape. It's head moves, eyes open, and a great mouth loosens to reveal red-oven heat.

"Hello, Ivory."

"Hello, Bronzeheart," Ivory says as she helps the Minister down and guides him to the door. As others arrive--should they choose to, of course--Ivory waits for them with the door open and enters last, taking a seat in what looks like an imitation throne at the head of her kitchen table. Nothing in this place seems to match: one chair is a stool with fine feet carved like a simhata's, and another is a plumply stuffed purple monstrosity that one seems to sink into like tar. Ivory smiles, sits, and waits for all to become comfortable.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo strolls in, probably close to last, and looks around the kitchen with interest, although he doesn't touch anything. The sight of the magitech creation was fairly interesting, but he expected that he'd learn something even more so inside that he would by just watching the outside.

Once inside, he turns a highback chair backwards and sits in it, leaning against the back as he watches Ivory Eyes and the Terrestrial Minister. Hands folded calmly together in front of his decorated coat, he smiled and waited.

Don't be stupid.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr blinked once at the sudden appearance of what he assumed to be a wonder of the First Age. After a moment, however, he followed her in, seating himself. When everyone had arrived, he repeated his introduction.

Greetings to you who, I believe, are all the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun. I am Zephyr Scales-of-War, Full Moon Caste Chosen of Luna. To have so many beings of power in one place is surely not coincidence. Destiny must have placed us here for some purpose. It behooves us to discover what that may be.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

The woman and her little girl atop her shoulders walk int last, also being the last to notice the amazing magitech structure that stood before her, gazing deeply into the glowing oven mouth. She whispered and whelmed her daughter as she stared at the creature, "Konoko, wake up. Something mommy wants to show you."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

Watcher stops for a moment as he gazes at Bronzeheart. Though his face is masked, it is easy to discern that he is impressed by the creature. But not wanting to miss anything important, he follows Ivory in. Choosing to lean against a wall rather than sit in one of the chairs.

"I have a feeling that you are correct, Zephyr." he says in a gravelly voice. "I am known as Watcher From Behind the Mirror. A Dagger of Heaven, and wielder of the sword Exodus.

He falls silent once more, interested to see just where all this would be going.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

The Terrestrial Minister steps forth, happily looking all of you over. He plucks a grain of white rice from the counter of Ivory Eyes' kitchen, and clasps it in his palm. A small white fire limns his hand, a divine effusion of majesty–and in a burst of light, the rice grain becomes an imposing scepter of ivory.

"Lawgivers of the Sun, Steward of Luna, hail! I come to make you an offer, one that shall be of great boon to both of us. You see, the Immaculates have fettered all of us gods, restricted our worship by their calendar. On this day, and this day alone I am allowed worship; for the rest of the year I must starve. I would ask that you go forth on my behalf, bring the people of Lotus to worship me directly–and, should the Immaculate Priests come for me, that you would protect me, you who are mighty.

As an exchange, I shall go forth on your behalf to the spirit courts near Lotus, see what gods and elementals I can win over to your cause. Heaven proclaimed the fall of the Solar Exalted, but not all of us stand behind them. I shall seek out allies–and what's more, I shall ensure that the fields of Lotus are much more attentively blessed by the small gods. Last year there was drought; never again, so long as you heed me.

I believe the both of us would benefit from such a bargain. What say you, Chosen?"
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo takes in the rice god's words, thinking them over for a moment, weighing what the god had said.

There were a number of advantages to his promise. As the Trade Minister, better crops would be something good to have. It would give more to the people while still having something to trade. And allies among the spirit courts would give a long warning about incoming troubles from the Realm.

However, one line bothered him. "Heed you in what, Minister?" he asked.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

The minister looks slightly flustered, hastening to explain. "Simply that you heed my request for prayer and protection; for without prayer I lack the essence to work beneficient miracles, and without protection I cannot do so freely. No other authority would I seek over you, for such the Mandate of Heaven forbids, and I still heed that law."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "I can agree to protect you from the Immaculate for straying from their calendar, but I won't trade one type of enforcement for another. The people of Lotus will be welcome to offer you, and any else who join us, prayers as they so choose, unrestricted by something as mundane as a calendar." Rising Echo smiles at the Minister. "And as the god of a major staple, I can imagine that they will offer you many prayers about their crops and the luck they need with it."

Rising Echo looks to the others. "Does that sound fair to you all, if you are going to be staying in the area?"
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-07 at 10:53 AM.

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded slowly. The agreement with the God sounded good to him, though he had no doubt that the Minister was attempting to get as good a deal for himself as possible. I agree. The people should be free to worship as they will. But I'm sure we can also see that word of your beneficence and aid, as well as your efforts to ensure fertile harvests and good weather are well-known among the people. Doubtless this will cause a great boom in the worship of your honor, to the benefit of all.

He paused a moment before speaking once more. And yes, I think I will be staying. I believe that Luna has guided me here for a purpose, and, as I said, certainly such powerful and august personages as those gathered here did not assemble by chance. We should unite our strengths for the good of all - The Realm has plainly mismanaged Lotus, as it seems to have done much of creation. There is much to set right, and Lotus is a perfect place to start.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

The Minister weighs Rising Echo's retort carefully. He responds, seeming somewhat discontent, "If that is your wish, Lawgiver. I have no doubt that my miracles will accord to me the worship that is due. As long as wild rice grows here I will be worshiped, and as long as I am worshiped, wild rice will flourish in overabundance. I have no quarrel with your agenda."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo senses his discontent and shakes his head. "I do not wish to force anyone in this. I do not wish you to be forced to a single day of worship, but also I do not wish for the people of Lotus to be consigned to worship you every day."

He stands, his fingers drumming on the chair. He knows he's having a hard time getting the idea across, but it's caught in his mind. "I am entirely willing to put forth the effort to let the people of Lotus know, that if they are to pray to you, that the rice of the area will flourish. That you are willing to help the land itself flourish by dealing with the small gods. Trust me, that's partially what the riot was about. Not enough food. I am willing to break you off the calendar worship. But just as I do not want the Immaculate to oppress you by forcing the calendar, neither do I want to force the people of Lotus to worship."

He pauses, looking at the others and the Minister again. "Am I making any sense here? I want as much as possible for you, Minister, but without enforcing worship a way similar to the Immaculate Calendar."

Don't be stupid.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

The minister smiles graciously, masking any trace of resentment. "Of course, your words bear truth. It is my nature to hunger for prayer, just as it is yours to thirst for water–and I have been starved of it for years. But I speak out of base gluttony; you speak to lofty reason, and I cannot deny you. I shall simply win what worship is due by my deeds, and I shall share this decree with the spirit courts. We would all do better for prayer if we claimed it by merit, not the small rights accorded to us by the Immaculates–none will disagree."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

"I will not speak for the others, but I will speak for myself, as Minister of Trade for Lotus, and a Lawbringer." Rising Echo's caste mark starts to appear on his head, sunlight seeming to refract around the eclipse that covers it. He speaks slowly, deliberately, so that the Minister understands he knows what he is saying. "I will do my best effort to gain you all the worship that deserve. Both as the god of the wild rice, and the leader of those spirits gods, small or otherwise, that you find as allies, so that you will aid myself and any who join in this bargain. In return, any of us who join in this bargain will protect you from any backlash from the Immaculate Order, or any other Realm forces that come and try to force you back onto the calendar."

Rising Echo looks to the others, before looking at the Minister. Quietly, he holds his hand out to the god, his caste mark causing dancing lights and shimmering as he invokes Heaven's mandate.

Spoiler
    Show

PM incoming TD1, and also spending 10 motes and 1 willpower to make a bargain.

Don't be stupid.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

There is a silent moment of deliberation as the Minister ponders the matter over–and then, like rice sprouting up from a paddy, he extends his pure white hand, clasping Rising Echo's in it. With a hearty handshake, he seals the contract. "So the oath is sworn, Golden One. I shall rain blessings down upon you and Lotus, and you shall return these blessings unto me. From this day forward, our good is shared, inseparable."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko smiles, still trying to rouse her daughter from her sleep and speaking to everyone in the room, "We are the Exalted of the Sun himself. At our word, the people of this city would willingly surrender their loyalty unto us. I believe perhaps it would benefit us most in this endeavor if we take an orichalcum hand to the ruler and rule as the new government of this town!" She stands strait and tall, holding one hand on her hip and the other holding onto the little girl on her shoulder's arm.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

The Lunar stood, smiling. This was the sort of thing he liked! Strong, sworn oaths and good companionship. Loyalty, fidelity, honesty! Truth would be their blade and their shield against the deceits of the Dragon-Blooded and the decadent, stinking Realm. He put his hand out, smiling confidently.

I, Too, will join in this oath. Though Luna waxes and Luna wanes, my loyalty does not. So long as this bargain holds, I, Zephyr Scales-of-War will lend to it my strong right arm. Let our enemies tremble and our allies rejoice, for the first will see their plans burned to ashes and scattered to the winds, and the second will know new prosperity!

25. - Top - End - #55

Ivory Eyes smiles, speaking at last as the mark of Twilight exaltation burns anew upon her brow:

"I add my support to this arrangement--not by oath, but by action. Let the people of Lotus be fed as never before!" she proclaims, biting her tongue in secret for the poisonous knowledge that yes, building a cult is exactly her intention. Not for the Minister, perhaps...but still. She turns to the hungry god.

"Among the spirit courts of Lotus, are there any elementals who may be willing to trade with a sorcerer? Bronzeheart can not move without such essence, and by accord I had to release my last accomplice yesterday evening. Fate indeed, has not only brought me here but for the moment seems to compel me to stay."

26. - Top - End - #56

Watcher

"Oaths can be made, and oaths can be broken just as easily. I turst not, these things." the masked man said, unmoving from his place at the wall. "Never-the-less, your intentions seem noble enough. I'm not one for grandiose actions of speeches, but very well, you have my aid in this. I am not one to ignore an opportunity to strike a blow to the empire."

"My only hope is that we all know just what it is that we are getting into."

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

The Minister seems rather taken aback by Yomiko and Zephyr's urge for an armed usurpation–clearly, he had not conceived of so audacious a deed. Such are the domain of the Exalted, not the gods of the earth. He seems almost relieved by Ivory Eyes's question, strange though it is. "What sort of service do you require, lady sorceress? I trust this engine does not...consume small gods. The woods nearby are home to many stick people, elementals of the living wood. I doubt that you would encounter any difficulty in seeking out a volunteer; their foolish honor is infamous. Harm them not, and they would serve you more loyally than any mortal friend."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

As the flaring, almost swirling, light dies down around Rising Echo, he looks back at the masked man. "I did not flare my mark for the pleasure of it. I invoked Heaven's Rule upon the oath. Heaven itself bore witness to it, and should it be broken, Heaven's wrath will descend upon the oathbreaker."

Don't be stupid.

29. - Top - End - #59

Watcher turns to look at the Crowned Sun, his features unreadable from behind the mirror-like surface over his face. "That still does not stop it from being broken though. As I said before, oaths are something I place no trust in. Even if I were to hear the Unconquered Sun himself made a pledge, I would still have my doubts. My only question is: will you still accept my help, despite this?"

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr chuckled softly at Echo's remark, though ire flared for his heart in a moment. Who did this man think he was? What did he think he was? I know you do not mean offense, so I do not take it. But my oath is my bond, enforced by Heaven's will or no, and I would no more break sworn oath than I would cut off my hands purposeless.

He looked at the others, Quietly thinking. I must confess, though, I am still considering how best to be about this task, assuming all of you wish to pursue it. How best to turn this city from its current state into something worthy of Heaven's Mandate. I've no doubt that we could simply storm the gates and oust the current rulers, but I fear that such would cause problems, both among the people, to whom we might seem illegitimate conquerors, and with the Realm itself, with whom we are not ready for confrontation. I would take on an entire army by myself if need be, but our deaths would serve no greater purpose.

You mentioned, Rising Echo, that you had already gained a position within the beraucracy. Perphaps each of us could aim for similar high position. If the infrastructure here is as rotten as it seems to be, no doubt we would have little trouble attaining high office. Once there, it seems as though it would be a simple matter to displace the current ruler and take true power unto ourselves, all the while winning the regard of the people by making it clear that it is we who are bringing change and prosperity.