New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

Ivory Eyes' titular feature flash wickedly as she takes advantage of Zephyr's assault. She rears back and then throws her whole weight into the toss, sending one clever knife whistling for the Captain.

"Don't call me a child," she says more to herself than anyone else as she moves towards the Captain to retrieve her knives.

Spoiler
    Show

Dodge DV 4 after the -1 attack
    Parry DV Sufficiently Pathetic
    Soak 2B/1L
    Hardness N/A
    Willpower 5/6
    Personal Essence 18/18
    Peripheral Essence 25/43

Health
    -0 [ ]
    -1 [ ][ ]
    -2 [ ][ ]
    -4 [ ]
    In [ ]

3 Dex + 3 Thrown + 1 Specialty + 3 Aim + 6 Excellency (-1 Success for being a vicious attack for +2L damage)

(16d10)[6][5][3][8][7][9][8][10][3][4][10][9][10][8][4][9](113)
    Base Damage is 6L plus successes.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-15 at 06:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Something in Rising Echo's words stirs the Captain's heart, and a softness comes over his eyes–on some level, he must know that what Echo says is true. But nevertheless, he bolsters his will, quashing his heart's insurrection. "Better to die than see you undo my final work! Perhaps I will once more see Lucius, and that would make worthy all these years of craven hiding and pathetic shame. Bring death to me then, Anathema!"

Zephyr responds with a bludgeoning barrage, hammering away at Transval with his own subordinates. He parries the first one, assuming an ultimately defensive stance and meeting the Lunar's blow with such force that it cleaves away Un's left hand, sending it splattering to the floor in a messy fan-spray of crimson. But Echo's ultimatum has cracked his will, and he cannot truly throw his spirit into such a defense any longer. So it is that Zephyr's next two blows strike, bludgeoning the Captain with Un's bleeding wrist-stump. The Captain falls back on his knees, staggered by the brutal beast's assault. As Zephyr tosses him, Un goes clattering away, blacking out from the pain as he hits the floor.

Just as Un falls from Zephyr's grip, so to does Ivory Eyes' knife fly from her grip in a perfectly poised throw. Her knife strikes the unassailable jade plates of his armor directly, its point wavering against the hardest, most protected point...and then the armor breaks. Shards of base-alloyed jade fly as Ivory Eyes' knife pierces into the Captain's vitals. There is a soft yelp of pain as he falls into unconsciousness, warm gore leaking from his armor. He is utterly defeated, his fate left to your will.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr breathed a sigh of relief, flexing and stretching as he set Un on the floor, not unkindly. He looked at the others as he shifted back to his human form, nodding at the others. Mmmm. A battle well fought, and an honor to all, though I fear the circumstances were somewhat uneven. Against such as we, he had little chance. Now, can anyone tend to their wounds? I have not the surgeon's skill, and it would be a pity for such valorous soldiers to bleed to death. We must decide their disposition soon, though.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

"I do not. But we need to keep them alive. I do not want to have a defeated man die." Rising Echo says. "Besides, death does not repay the debt the Dragon Blood has incurred to this city."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #185

Ivory Eyes raises her hand to Zephyr's call, kneeling over the captain's body for a cursory examination of his wounds and the wounds of those scattered about the room.

"I have the rudiments of a physician's skills, though I'd much prefer to invoke someone more apt to know the craft if we've the time. I don't suppose we do, though, do we?" she asks, frowning. She touches the Captain's chakras for pulse--both of blood and essence. Her gaze flits to Rising Echo, speaking with an air of practiced casualty.

"Actually, minister, I do have something to request for your first round of imports, if you can finangle it," she says, winking.

Spoiler
    Show

Int + Medicine
    (6d10)[2][6][3][5][7][3](26)
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-15 at 07:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Ivory Eyes' attentions soon staunch the bleeding Captain's wounds; lengths of fabric ripped from his own vestments serves to bandage his cuts, the largest of them wrapped around his belly to hold back his most gory wounds. Placing the defeated Exalt's armor aside, Ivory Eyes checks his vital signs, ensuring that he still lives. She is not able to stir him from his unconsciousness, but she can tell it is not irrecoverable–if he is left to recover on his own, he will soon awaken. Under what circumstances he should stir is left to you.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko finishes her battle song as she loses her battle pose and stands strait and poised. There's a suddenly very obvious lack of sound now as the last echoes of her voice die, and she begins to look around at all the blood, gore and bodies tears still streaming down her cheeks. Right after her beautiful face contorts into utter sadness, she stabs both swords into the ground and drops to her knees with her face in her hands, trying not to bawl but still audibly crying...
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Reaching down, Zephyr took the Captain's Daiklave and examined it more thoroughly, then checked the captain over for any other weapons. Then, tearing at the captain's already tattered raiment he began to bind the man, hand and foot. I'd soon as not execute him - he doesn't seem a bad sort, besides being Dragon-Blooded, and besides, we'll need good warriors 'ere all is done. Let's see if we can convince him over to our side, eh?

Noticing Yomiko's distress, he moved over to the young woman, then stopped, looking around. Where's the girl? Is she safe?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

She sniffs, still looking sad as she looks up to her daughter and holds a hand out to her. "Kono, come give mommy a hug." When her daughter comes over and wraps her hands around her mother's neck she smiles a little bit, Yomiko returns the hug, burrying her face into her daughter's shoulder. She pauses from her weeping and looks up as if coming to a realization, "...Watcher?"

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watcher steps out from behind the pillar, silent as the others discuss what should be done.

"Pointless," he mutters as he stares at the corpses, angry at the situation. "These deaths were pointless." Deep down, he knows what he has to do. His eyes transfixed on the unconscious terrestrial, he walks slowly over; his unsheathed blade still gripped tightly in his hand.

"You find death preferable? Then allow me to oblige. he mutters once more, readying his blade to put an end to the warrior once and for all.
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Her eyes widen, spilling more tears. She jumps to her feet and runs at the Night caste. "Watcher, NO!" He thrusts downward at the throat of the Terrestrial but an inch from his throat, Yomiko grabs Watcher's wrist to stop him and her face is close to his. Her face is full of fear and it's obvious she's just pleading to spare him. "He's tied up, Watcher... this is a good compromise."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo

"No, Watcher!" Rising Echo stops tending to the guards as best he can when he hears that. "He's beaten, and he doesn't need to be killed. As I said before, death does not pay back to debt he owes to the city."

Echo waves a hand around the guards. "They fought for him, several died for him. There is a structure here already to work with for the guards. Kill him, you lose that structure. We can alter it, but building one from scratch is so much harder."

Moving to Watcher, he puts a hand over blade, not letting it cut his hand. "You'd give him death, but that would release him. Make him earn his life."
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

13. - Top - End - #193

Ivory Eyes doesn't even turn her head from where she kneels beside the Captain, her casual tone suddenly stripped away by the Watcher's advance. Her hand flickers and withdraws a knife again at lightning speed, balancing it by it's tip on her finger.

"By Sol, if you so much as sneeze I'll end this. Enough have died; we now have a scenario that could avoid further death."

She stands, tossing the knife into the air and grabbing it by the handle before setting it in her coat again. The Captain's head is propped up on his own armor, and his blood stains the Copper Spider's fingertips. She looks across her impromptu triage, breathing in deep and rhythmic.

"They'll survive for now. But we need more skill than I have. Zephyr, if you'd do me the same service you did last night," she says, retreating to the far edge of the chamber. Her bloodied fingers trace an equal circle on the tiles and she sits, cross legged, speaking in a whisper.

"...I don't know how strong a creature with the needed skills would be. And I've spent more motes than I'd like," she says, cleaning her hands with a handkerchief. "But if two of those men are to expect any kind of quality of life, they need treatment. Strong medicine," she says at last, closing her eyes. Her very breath condenses into Essence as she begins her familiar mantra.

14. - Top - End - #194

Watcher

"You weep for those that have died today, yet their true killer lies right in front of you, free to enjoy life. He speaks calmly, yet Yomiko can feel the pure anger coming from his masked stare. "Never compromise. If he dies, then that is one less person that we have to watch our backs for."

"What use is his life to the city?" he turns to Rising Echo. "No matter how vigilant a watch we keep him under, he will find a way to warn the Dynasty, and that in turn bring hardship that these people do not deserve." He takes a last look at the two, seeing that his words have done nothing to sway them. "But it would appear that I am outnumbered in this. Very well. If you would release my arm, Yomiko..."

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

She pauses, staring into her own reflection on his mask then down to her own hand, then giving a look to the bruised and bloody Dragonblooded. Finally she releases her grip and stands up strait, slowly.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo

"He has issues with the Dynasts, Watcher. He named one of the houses! He was here hiding, I do not think he will turn himself in just to have a chance to turn us in as well."

He shakes his head, pulling his hand from the blade, and whispers quietly. "Weep for the dead, but cause no more. If you kill everyone that crosses you, then eventually you will have thousands that want you dead. We don't need the guardsmen here to think worse of us than of him, and they go. You cannot be everywhere at once, Watcher. Better to make sure the loyalty of one man, than suspect the loyalty of a dozen that watched him die."

Don't be stupid.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

As Yomiko, Watcher, and Echo debate ethics, Konoko raises her hand up into the air. As they continue talking, and Ivory Eyes and Zephyr begin their summoning ritual, she continues holding her hand up patiently, like an obedient schoolchild. Eventually, though, she grows fed up with the grown-ups ignoring her. "Hey! All of you! Why don't we just make friends with Captain Red Guy, instead of killing him? Even if he is kind of a jerk, I don't think he really deserves to die. I mean, the only people he tried to stab are Mommy and Mister Zephyr–stabbing Mommy doesn't matter 'cause she's invincible, and Mister Zephyr was kind of being a monster, so I don't think it should count. Maybe we could, you know, ask him why he's being such a jerk?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods to Konoko. "That's what we're trying to do. Ivory is working on getting a healer for the others, and we're letting the Captain wake up on his own. He's pretty badly hurt, so we don't want to force him to wake up. I'll talk to him when he does though."

Just in case, Rising Echo looks over the Captain again, to make sure he isn't actually out and faking it. It wouldn't surprise him for the little girl to notice before anyone else.

Don't be stupid.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Nodding immediately at Ivory Eyes' request, Zephyr strode over to the corner, striving to look as impressive as possible should whatever she was summoning prove... unfriendly. Spattered as he was in blood, none of it his own, he had a certain barbaric panache. He stood, unbowed and unwounded, waiting. As he did so, he spoke in a clear, strident voice to the others.

They're right, watcher. I don't like the Dragon-Blooded or the weak, bloated imitation of an empire they have spawned any more than you do, but if we can reforge it into something stronger, support from those who have knowledge of our enemies would prove more than useful.

He laughed at Konoko's words, a booming sound that echoed of the chamber's walls.

A monster, eh? Yes, I suppose that's fair. But I am a monster only to my enemies, and if my visage should strike fear in their hearts, then so much the better. Luna made me what I am, and I trust in Her wisdom in doing so.

20. - Top - End - #200

Watcher

"Hrrm." is all the man mutters as he returns his blade to its place on his back. Trunng away from them, he goes to retrieve his boomerangs, but not before he gives Rising Echo a look that pactically says 'I hope you know what you're doing.'

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:

21. - Top - End - #201

Ivory Eyes' breath condenses into a fine mist of essence as her spell takes on the characteristic powers of elemental water. Drops condense on her eyelashes and fall to the floor, making the tiles ripple. Strange sounds like brass trumpets build to a crescendo. Fog rises from her feet and a crocodile-like creature emerges, cross-armed and imperious.

"Who dares call upon the Sobeksis of the Meandering River?" it says in a voice that bites the air. Wind slips through it's teeth like bare trees in a storm, and it snarls at Ivory. "I will see you brought low by the Censor!"

"By the power of Sol," Ivory says as she walks a loose circle around the creature, Essence condensing at each syllable and wrapping around the elemental's ankles, and then his wrists. "Luna. Mercury. Venus. Mars. Jupiter. Saturn." Each proclamation colors the essence, makes it heavier, more solid. The sobeksis looks up at Ivory, pulled down by the weight. Her voice is as imperious as his was, callous and regal and altogether terrifyingly alien.

"So," she says, kneeling to make her eyes level with his. "You think you've got friends in high places? Forgive me this smile, but you don't know whom you speak to," she says. Her anima flares out magnificently, a great bird with knives for feathers and a beak full of red-oven heat. Wings of light wrap around the both of them, and she reaches out, sets a splayed hand over the elemental's crown chakra, and the contest begins.

Spoiler
    Show

(10d10)[10][3][10][6][4][1][3][4][7][10](58)
    And a second round, if needed.
    (10d10)[7][10][7][8][1][8][2][10][5][3](61)
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-15 at 10:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

A cascade of surging essence, shifting through the sevenfold spectrum of the rainbow, arcs from Ivory Eyes' wide-splayed fingers to the water-spirit's brow. It struggles, but soon finds its will broken–for all her childish shape, Ivory Eyes' is a veritable juggernaut in the world of the will. Bound and broken, the Sobeksis realizes that it's playing with the big boys now, in spite of all appearances.

It bows low, with all the crocodilian grace it can muster, and blusters an apology. "Forgive me, mistress–there must have been some mistake. Anything to please you–heal a wound? Raise the river? Eat a child? No, probably not the last one. No one ever seems to ask for that. But truth, what would you have me do, O great and grey-eyed maiden?" Its voice now oozes with obsequious blandishments, every fang in the spirit's mouth directed squarely towards whatever ego Ivory Eyes might possess.

23. - Top - End - #203

Ivory Eyes rolls her ivory eyes and sets the elemental to task tending the wounded men. She keeps a strong front and then makes a quick excuse to leave the room, collapsing in the hall just as soon as the door is shut. She pulls her knees up to her chest, buries her face, and sobs.

Physically.
    Mentally.
    Spiritually exhausted.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr was right on Ivory Eyes' heels as she left the room. He felt her pain almost as keenly as the aches and bruises that adorned his own body. Standing next to her, he said nothing for a moment, then bent down and picked her up in his arms. His voice was quiet, almost tender - an odd thing indeed for Zephyr.

Shall I take you back to your construct?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

While the elemental cannot tend to the wounds of Captain Transval–they go too deep–it soon has the surviving guardsmen healed, though convincing those still conscious to accept the beneficent touch of the crocodile-spirit proves somewhat arduous. Still, it manages to restore them all, in flesh if not in spirit. Its work of healing done, the Sobeksis returns to Ivory Eyes, to see if she has any further orders. Upon coming across her weeping, it stammers, unsure of what to do. It takes a step back, maintaining a respectful distance.

The newly-healed men argue amongst themselves, Un bickering with the old man while Duo tries to mediate. "Damn it, Kwan! shouts Un, his face red with frustration. "Fine! Old fool." The man who recently was little more than a bludgeon spits at his feet, and turns away. The older guard, Kwan, approaches Echo.

"Sir, I don't like this. There's guardsmen dead, and the blood is on your lot's hands. Now, I'm not sure what's going on here, and that's why me and those two are going to keep are mouths shut for now. But I'd like some answers. Starting with why it was necessary for you to come here, kill men who were only doing their job, and assault the captain. After that, I suppose we could start talking about the fact that you're what a holy man would call Anathema, though I can't say I grudge you that. But we need some explaining before we can do anything."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo sighs, nodding to the older man. "We came down here looking for your Captain, that much is true. I do not wish to have had any deaths here, and you will note that I only struck to injure, not kill. But the Captain has killed as well. Last night, one of my companions following the burned footsteps of his anima and found a young woman, dead, killed by him for seeing him. I do not begrudge someone killing in self defense, but the woman was no threat to your Captain, save that she saw him, and as you heard he wants to never be found again."

Rising Echo folds his arms together, looking at the guard. "Again, I do not think the deaths were necessary, and I wish my companions had not used lethal force. Knocking you all out would have been just as easy. But you were in the way of us getting to the captain. We were going to remove him from killing innocents anymore. Since he is not dead now though, we will offer him the chance to make amends. And I, at least, will attempt to make amends to the families of the guards that have died today. I wasn't lying when I said I was made the Trade Minister. We will be making Lotus better."

Echo gives a look to Watcher and Zephyr, but doesn't say anything. "I don't know the people that died here all that well. Can I count on you to let me know who their families are? I will make sure they are taken care of, and I will try to find ways to make their lives easier without their husbands, fathers alive."

Spoiler
    Show

Charisma+Presence, spending a willpower for an auto suxx. (9d10)[9][6][8][5][1][9][8][7][3](56)

Don't be stupid.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Kwan seems taken aback at this latest revelation. "He killed a woman? Damn, but that's hard to believe. The old man never leaves here, not while I'm at watch. But...you found the body? How do you know the Captain killed her? Heaven above..." His words seem incredulous, but he would not be so shaken if he did not believe Echo's words at least a little. He shakes his head, disconsolate, then turns back to the minister.

"And I sure wish your band of brutes hadn't killed my men too, but there's nothing that can be done to change that. They're dead, and nothing, not even your pretty words, can change that. But I'll be holding you to your oath, because at least you're willing to make amends. I'll take you to your families, and you can beg forgiveness on your knees and do all you can to make sure they'll never suffer again, and it still won't be enough. But it is all you can do."

Kwan looks over the circle, eying them all–voluble Echo, the sobbing Ivory Eyes, still-monstrous Zephyr, teary-eyed Yomiko, implacable Watcher. "For all the Immaculates back home would say about Anathema, you lot sure seem like men to me. Stupid, arrogant, foolish men, but you're no worse than me or the boy. I'll help you. There's enough in the guard who'll listen to me, that fool of a boy Un among them. I'd imagine he's madder than I am over this, but he won't talk, not against his orders. But don't expect that I'm going to let you forget the three boys you killed today. You said you'll make Lotus better? That you'll make our lives better? I pray that you speak the truth. That's the only way their deaths can mean anything."

He walks away, jaded and uncertain. For all his anger, all his resentment, he cannot argue with Echo's words, cannot ignore his pleading. The old man may never forgive you for what has happened here, but at the same time, his pledge of loyalty is sure as adamant, as orichalcum.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr looked back, just as he was exiting the door. He arched an eyebrow, his face deadly serious. Aye. We came here to try to offer the man a chance to help us. He chose to respond with force, and we replied in kind. And to be fair, I WAS striking to injure. If I'd sought to kill, things would have been much, much worse. I'm sorry about your friends, and I didn't want to kill them - just end things as quickly as I could. With that, he slipped out into the hallway to comfort Ivory Eyes.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Kwan gives Zephyr a respectful nod–for all the Lunar's monstrous form and strength, the old man can't begrudge him as he comforts a child. "Minister Echo. What's going to happen to Captain Transval?" he says, turning to the circle's spokesmen. "Because if you're going to get rid of him, the guard is going to need a new commander. I can hold it together, but I can only provide a bare minimum of order–if you want the guard to actually be able to protect Lotus, you'll need a better man than I. And damn it, as much of a monster as he is, that man could do it. He carries himself like a warrior, and he knows the voice of command. The young ones would listen to him, and us old guard could respect him. So what do you think, Mister Minister?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods to Kwan. "If he's willing to work with us, I had hoped that he would continue as the guard captain, but sharing in those duties with one of us. That way you all continue to have the Captain you are used to, but we can be certain that things like the young woman's death do not happen again."

Spoiler
    Show

Charisma+Presence again, I guess? (9d10)[9][1][8][1][9][5][9][6][4](52)

Eventually I'm going to botch this. LOL

Don't be stupid.