New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

With the Captain defeated and befriended, the five of you go on your way, leaving the mayoral palace. Those of you who think to speak with the mayor are disappointed – he lies prostrate upon his heap of pillows, the veritable cloud of herb-smoke about him explaining his catatonia. A few slaves and minor bureaucrats crowd about him, trying to wake him from his drug slumber; a futile endeavor. As you pass, some of the saffron-robed officials whisper among themselves, shooting furtive glances towards you. They fall into shamed silence at but a glance in return, going back to their duties, if they can be called that.

Leaving the mayoral palace, you find the day has elapsed while you fought and debated the captain–the sun has plunged beneath the horizon, and the stars faintly illumine the dark vaults of the heavens. The markets still host a few merchants selling their wares after dark, but buyers are scarce. A few inns still bustle with farmers drinking away their day's woes, or else pouring out worship to O-Mochi. It is not without some small satisfaction that you watch peasants spreading libation cups around, encouraging their fellows to take up the rites of the wild rice.

You soon retire to your separate lodgings, once more settling back to sleep. The next day's work will be even greater than that of defeating the Captain – any champion of Sol or Luna could dispatch a lone Dragonblooded, but the task of raising a city to greatness could prove much more arduous. Such are your thoughts as you settle under your bedsheets, or else sleeplessly watch the skies.

You wake to a morning overshadowed by heavy rainclouds, pregnant with precipitation. The farmers of Lotus are practically in an uproar as you walk by their fields, whistling or singing songs of worship as they work, eager for the coming downpour. You smile as you walk past them, once more on your way to the mayoral palace. Captain Transval lies bedridden, convalescing in one of the palace's many over-opulent chambers; his wounds will keep them there for much of the next week. He can have no hand in what comes next – that is left to you.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

When Zephyr awoke, early as usual, he stretched, then slipped out of bed on quiet feet. Padding softly into the central chamber of... what had Ivory Eyes called it? Ah, right, "Bronzeheart." He seated himself, waiting for the young woman - it was hard not to think of her as a girl, still - to enter. As he waited, he thought about what he was going to say. When, at last, she emerged, he nodded and spoke. "Good morning. Best meet up with the others at the mayor's palace as soon as we can. Any thoughts on what you'll do yet?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo is most likely the last of the group to make his way to the mayoral palace, his eyes slightly red-rimmed from lack of sleep. He grins at everyone though, and nods. He carries a satchel that looks fairly well full of scrolls.

"So, you all were wondering what positions you were all going to hold in Lotus' government?" Rising Echo grins to each of them. He pulls out a few copies of a document, handing them over to each of the group. "Watcher, you seem to be one more to stick to the outskirts of the government, without any offically recognized position, so this document doesn't even mention you. I more had the idea of a writ for you that allowed you to come and go as you please, as an unattached deputy to the guards, one not on the books."

Written on the parchment is as follows.

Let it be known that positions new have been established in the government of Lotus. These positions supercede and remove all old positions that they come into conflict with, for it is our will that the following positions and people have our utmost trust and respect.

Vice Captain of the Guard and Captain of the newly created Caravan Guard shall be Zephyr Scales-of-War.

Minister of Agriculture shall be Ivory Eyes.

Minister of Culture shall be the Invincible Maiden Yomiko.

Those who have questions shall direct them to Captain Transval.

Signed and sealed this day,
    Mayor of Lotus
    [seal imprint]

Rising Echo smiles at the others as they read the document, hoping that they do not have issue with the titles that he has chosen for them. "If you're wondering why I chose the titles for you two," he motions to Ivory and Yomiko, "Ivory, just from what I can see from Bronzeheart, you have a much better touch with what we'll be needing to draw from the local area to create trade and build the city up. Yomiko, you have a beauty and presence about you second to none, and you could easily set the course of the city to whatever tune we need it to be. Culture would also include the worship of O-Mochi, although from the looks of things, we're not going to have issue with getting him plenty of worship."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko smiles sweetly, tilting her head slightly when looking at Echo. "Thank you, Echo." she says after being so complimented and waits for him to finish before speaking again. "I suppose I'll also be in charge of many performances myself, no matter how much Watcher would disapprove," she says while looking at Watcher with a smile, "but I'm quite happy with my title. Thank you very much again, Rising Echo." Her contagious smile still gracing her face.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded in agreement as he heard his title. It suited him well, and he clapped his hands with approval. Aye, I am pleased with my appointment as well. I am not the best man when it comes to facts and figures. But I know battle, and I know the leading of men and women in battle.

He stroked his chin thoughtfully for a moment before continuing to speak. Head of the Caravan Guard, eh? A clever move. I assume it will be to help increase trade by providing protection from bandits? I might have a few other suggestions in that department, as well.

For one thing, we should decide whether the guarding of caravans, which will be very taxing on the treasury, but more beneficial for trade, or charge merchants a tax for it, which will help us gain coin, but perhaps not be so stimulating for merchant traffic.

Speaking of costs, there'll two things we'll be needing plenty of - coin and soldiers. As I've been saying, sooner or later there'll be war, I'll wager, and we'll need a sizable army, and, of course, we'll need food and money to keep that army, as well as other things - equipment and so forth. Hopefully Ivory Eyes and anyone else with more skill than I at weapon-crafting and relic-finding can help provide that. But on the subject of men and coin - we need both urgently.

Eliminating any local bandits might help. Crush them, take their loot, recruit any survivors who'll join, so long as we can be sure of their loyalty. Those are a limited source, though, and we'll soon need to look at expanding our territory, I'll wager. But first things first - we should consolidate the place, and perhaps see what hidden secrets Lotus has to offer.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo agrees with Zephyr. "There seems to be a decent amount of coin in the local government coffers, even if nothing is done to improve the local area. Transval's room was fairly lined with jade and expensive woods, and even the lowest of the officials here seem to have a good deal of coin. I suggest we offer a few guards on Lotus' coin, and then those merchants that want more would pay for that. But first, we should probably have these documents filed with the town, so that you all have official positions. Then we can see about local bandits and what might sits hidden under Lotus' exterior."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

"It would be best if few knew about me." Watcher agrees, throwing a confused glance at Yomiko. "It makes my job easier."
    Most excellent Watcher avatar courtesy of GryffonDurime.

Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Characters:
    Watcher From Behind the Mirror in God-Kings of Lotus and God-Kings of Lotus: Heroes of Lotus

8. - Top - End - #248
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Ivory Eyes lets the title roll around in her head, turns it over as if to examine it from below. She shrugs at last, listening patiently and with surprising interest to Zephyr's plans--she's never had much of a head for such martial endeavors, but still...forging, she could do.

"I suppose we can come up with a better name later...Minister of Capitol Improvements or somesuch..." Ivory says at last to Echo. "I'm afraid I'm not quite sure where to begin--so many things need doing, I suppose. Setting up a proper system of healthcare, arming the city--even just the creation of a proper wall," she says, setting her hand to her cheek. "Even just feeding the city."

She totters back and forth on the balls of her feet and then takes Echo by the elbow, leading him aside for a moment if he allows her to.

"I might need your help acquiring a certain reagent--I definately need a staff, and sorcery's the quickest way to that. Problem is, it's kind of...blatant. Not much use for this oil other than Anathema magic, but their own sorcerers use it sometimes too. It's also a bit pricey for my purse. Gouged Eye Ungent, they call it. Heard of it? Know of anyone who can provide us with a measure of it?"
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-18 at 07:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo thinks for a moment, before nodding. "I've seen it before, yes. However, the last person I knew to have it was in Qutar, probably a few weeks out by fast horse from here. He was a collector of oddities, and showed me a few of them. I could probably contact him for it, I probably have enough funds myself to get enough for your needs, although it will push it."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr nodded in agreement with Rising Echo's plan.

Sound like a good idea to me. Once we get them used to the idea of having caravan guards, it's unlikely that they'll want to make due without them, and be willing to foot the bill. I don't know much of treasury matters, but perhaps we should see about making it more attractive to join the guard. And furthermore, at some point, we'll need to see about expanding them into an actual formal army. There's a big difference between watching the walls and marching to war.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "Come then, I know just the person to file these documents."

Echo grins at the thought, leading the others into the governmental building. Straight to the desk of the Resplendent Secretary in Robes of Saffron.

Opening his satchel, he sets the nearly hundred copies of the document in front of him. "I would have you file copies of this with wherever it is required to enter it into the law books. The rest of the copies I would have distributed to the rest of the hard working bureaucrats and others."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, Minister!" The Resplendent Sinecure gets to work transcribing Echo's letter into official records, filling out the paperwork required to create the new positions, and circulating copies throughout the bureaucratic infrastructure of the city. The task is long and arduous, but the minor bureaucrat is easily competent enough for it. Before the sun reaches its Zenith, the positions you hold will be legitimate under Lotus's law, if somewhat lacking in offices or official duties.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr mused thoughtfully before speaking to the others. If there's nothing else for now, I should probably go and see about speaking to the guardsmen and speak to them about the new situation, including the probable expansion and the new caravan guard duties. Anything that anyone else would like to add to that itinerary?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

"You mentioned training earlier?" Rising Echo says. "I would mention that to them as well. We want the guard to be well trained and self sufficient if they will be guarding caravans moving outside Lotus' borders."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

"I suppose I would do well to find my way to having temples, museums and exhibition halls made. Theaters! Stages can be built all over Lotus!" Yomiko seems to speak of the arts with such excitement, biting her lip in between sentences, eyes wide with excitement. She laughs a little, "And I suppose making some drinking halls bigger."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo smiles at Yomiko's enthusiasm, before looking at Ivory. "I had hoped to speak with you. I have a way to set up a class, in which we could teach skills at a rate unseen outside of magicss. However, I lack the skills to teach the people to begin their own textiles and such. Seeing Bronzeheart, and your culinary skills, would it be too much to assume you are able to teach such skills to others?"

17. - Top - End - #257

"If a mortal man has ever crafted it, I can as well and with as much skill--not to mention a few skills they've never yet imagined," Ivory says, nigh on boasting.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo laughs. "I don't think we're looking for quite that high of excellence yet. Maybe we can get them up to that point next month."

Echo then looks at the Secretary. "I need an auditorium or large gathering room for setting up a series of classes for training the people of Lotus. All are invited, and I would like to see something sent out to any and all who wish to learn the crafts, the lore of the world, languages, and other such things. Do you think you can handle that? I have in mind taking you for my own Secretary, if you wouldn't mind rising with me. It should have a fair raise in it."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

The Secretary rifles through a few sheets, handing a few choice papers to Rising Echo. "The mayoral palace has a rather grand amphitheater, which seems ideal for your purposes. Fully a thousand seats, a raised dais, excellent acoustics, it's wonderful. The mayor uses it for his...ahem...dramatic presentations...but I believe I could schedule its use for your classes." A few swift strokes of his expert quill, and the room is reserved.

Rising Echo's job offer takes the Secretary off-guard. "Why...of course, yes! It's been so wonderful working for you the past few days...you actually remember things, you don't smell of herb-smoke...I'd have to talk to the mayor, but yes! Bountiful O-Mochi, yes!"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

"So long as you work hard, I promise great rewards." Rising Echo smiles at him, both at his enthusiasm, and for the fact that he used O-Mochi's name.

"In fact, I think I will give you a good chance now. I will put you in charge of my staff, and making sure that both Ivory Eyes and Invincible Maiden Yomiko have superb staff as well."

Echo's voice does just that, and echos around the office a bit as he raises his voice near the end, allowing any who might be listening in to hear him. "Our needs will most likely be varied and demanding, but as Lotus grows, so will the wealth of every one of it's citizens. I forsee many great things for Lotus. And those who stand with us will shine with the city."

Spoiler
    Show

Activating Mastery of Small Manners, mainly for the +1 Appearance modifier, because Charisma+Performance: (8d10)[2][2][7][6][8][10][5][2](42)

Trying to rouse the rabble outside the office to join in the fun.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr spoke up again. The mention of places to train had gotten him thinking. That reminds me... we'll be in need of somewhere to drill. Does the guard have some sort of training area already? It strikes me that this place could probably use a better armory, as well as some place to get the troops into better physical condition.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes, the guards have a watch-house with a great deal of training gear...cost nearly broke my budget, but do I get any say in that? No. There's actually a decent armory already–or at least, it had best be decent with all the subsidies we're wasting on it." The Secretary grumbles, clearly upset by Transval's "oversight" on all matters budgetary.

As Rising Echo speaks, bureaucrats from other offices lining the hall come to listen, from apprentice paper-pushers all the way up to grand master bean-counters. There is a general bureaucratic hubbub, as the officials clamor for a chance at advancement. "Minister, Minister, I can show you the central bureaucratic archives!" "Minister! I'm certified in differential accounting and investment finance!" "Oh Minister! I have the real records from the trade last year! Let me show them to you!" Each one boasts louder than the last, trying to think up more impressive claims. Bureaucrats.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

The Full Moon grinned, both at the news he received from the bureaucrat and the reactions of the others. Good to hear. I had a feeling that the good Captain would be making sure his men were well provided for. It'll be nice to have decent facilities to work with. Mmm... wonder if they have a Man of Relentless Iron he mused quietly, naming a number of other esoteric devices that he remembered from his days in the pits, things that had been used alternately as entertainment and training tools by its masters.

Zephyr turned and began to walk towards the door, then turned back, looking speculative. Oh, that reminds me - know where I can go to have a decent uniform made? I should probably look like a leader if I'm to be one, after all. Besides, then all the good foes will know who to come after for a real fight. He said with a broad grin.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Shaking his head, Rising Echo addresses the almost shouting crowd. "I have already named my chief of staff. It is he who you must go through to be part of either mine, or one of the others here, staff."

Rising Echo nods to the Resplendent Secretary. "If you wish to become part of the staff, I want a one page summary of your accomplishments to be handed to the Resplendent Secretary in Robes of Saffron."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

The bureaucrats queue up quickly, forming a neatly regimented line in order of descending bureaucratic rank–just as She Who Lives In Her Name consented to the chaotic whims of Malfeas, unable to defy the hierarchy she embodied, so too are even the most passionate or avaricious officials still bound by the unbreakable chains of proper governmental procedure. While the line may stretch down the halls and around corners, a seemingly unending stream as might flow all the way to the heart of the line, it moves with order and efficiency, as best any bureaucracy can.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko steps forward and looks at all the people lining up and smiles at them, making sure to catch every face and meet every eye. When they are arranged and orderly she speaks up with her piercingly clear voice, "Are any among you familiar with the arts? I wish to see artists, craftsmen and performers among my flock. Come now, don't be shy."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

The bureaucratic assemblage stares at the Invincible Maiden, not one managing the slightest syllable to break the awkward hold of imposing silence. Yomiko's eyes pass over the place faces, unaccustomed to the sun's light, and gathers all she needs to know–there is not an artistic soul in the whole palace. If she wishes to have portraits painted, poems composed, or monologues performed, her search must lead her elsewhere.

28. - Top - End - #268

Ivory Eyes, looking about for a single soul to stand forth from the line at her compatriot's request, purses her lips for a moment and decides to brave her own attempt:

"Cooks? Farmers? Geomancers? Enlightened of any skill? Hasn't a one of you worked an honest day in your life?" she proclaims at last, more statement than question.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

One of the younger bureaucrats looks down at his feet, his head hanging low. "Um. We're bureaucrats, ma'am. Miss. Little girl? No, definitely ma'am. We do the math, file the papers, keep everything accounted for. It may not be cooking, or farming, or geomancy, but it's important..." For all his brave words, he still seems very ashamed. "I mean, I can cook a bowl of rice, even if I'm not a great chef. And I've never learned to work a farm, but that's because I spent all my youth studying maths and governmental policy so I could have a better profession that. And I can't do geomancy because this isn't the Blessed Isle, ma'am–what good would it do me? But I can tell you how to requisition enough arms to equip a legion, how to file your Imperial taxes without being cheated, or how to organize a festival day without having to pay for the alcohol yourself. Doesn't any of that matter?"

The rest of the assembled officials take a step back, wishing their utmost to dissociate themselves from this upstart who questions the new bosses. The Resplendent Secretary hisses under his breath at the young bureaucrat–"Rata-ji! Don't you know who you're talking to?" The young man quivers in fear, his eyes fixed on the ground beneath him–but he refuses to waver on his point.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-22 at 07:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Ivory Eyes tilts her head and listens intently to the bureaucrat's tract, nodding at all the appropriate times before motioning sternly and suddenly to the Secretary. "Please don't berate my head of staff like that," she says, brow arching serenely.

She turns to Rata-ji and motions for him to follow, speaking hastily. "I'd like you recommendation for the five other members of the Office of Capitol Improvements. Honest people with an inkling of a spine--just look for what you think got you this appointment," she says, winking at him. Her tone becomes suddenly serious: "Don't ever get so close to denegrating an honest man's work again, and I'm sure we'll get along swimmingly, Rata-ji. Tell me," she says at the doorway, half-closing the door to make it clear that she doesn't wish to be followed, "have you ever considered the bounties of thaumaturgy?"

She leaves him on that note, heading off to inspect the town's general state and prioritize her efforts.