New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Lupus Urbanus (PEACH)

Alley Wolf

Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 4d10+12 (34 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), climb 50 ft.
    Armor Class: 19 (+3 dex, +6 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
    Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d8+4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Powerful jaws, trip
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, roof leaper, slum gullet, uncanny dodge, urban lunge
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 17, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills: Climb +11, Hide +13, Jump +11, Listen +13, Move Silently +6, Spot +5, Survival +3
    Feats: Blindfight(B), Hear the Unseen, Track(B), Weapon Focus (bite)
    Environment: Any Urban
    Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3–6), or pack (7-20)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium), 9-12 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -

Alley wolves are the descendants of magical wolves who lost their lands to the building of cities and supernaturally adapted to a life within civilization, breeding with local mongrels. The result are creatures that rival both the natural senses of a wolf and the ferocity of the meanest mutt. As this adaption can take hundreds of generations, alley wolves are usually found in only the oldest of sprawling metroplises.

An alley wolf's looks tend to vary to the extremes, though they all possess the lupine form of their wild ancestors. However, fur length and color can be of al ltypes, though they tend to be muted colors darkened with soot and ash and the mud of the streets.

Alley wolf packs are greatly feared, the most hardened scrapper running for their doggy lives at the mere scent of an alley wolf. These packs tend to stay to the rooftops for sleeping and birthing, coming down only to feed. They take whatever they can get, sometimes bursting through windows several stories high to raid kitchens or pull children from their beds. Little is ever left of their meals. They possess an almost intelligent cunning, far beyond that of their lesser brethren.

Combat
    An alley wolf hunts without fear, though tends to prefer night to hunt, and will track from scent the nearest available food, be it refuse, dog, or man. Most hunt in packs, taking multiple alleys and creeping through homes to surround their opponent from all angles before lunging. When overpowered they take to the rooftops to hide.

Powerful Jaws (Ex):
    Alley wolves have adapted to defend against the weapons of men. As a swift action once per round that does not trigger an attack of opportunity an alleywolf can leap forward directly after an attack on itself to make a sunder attack against the weapon. An alley wolf's bite has a hardness of 10 for the purpose of sundering. It gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls to strike the weapon. If the weapon used was natural, such as fist or claw, and the wolf makes a successful sunder attack, its opponent must make a DC 15 fortitude save or lose the use of that attack for 1 round per point the save was failed. The save DC is Strength-based.

Roofleaper (Ex):
    Alley wolves are able to gather themselves like a predatory spring and can make standing long jumps and high jumps as if they were running long jumps and high jumps.

Slum Gullet (Ex): An alley wolf can eat near anything and often hide amongst the concealing clouds of ash upon rooftops. They recieve a +4 bonus to fortitude saves against disease and poison, and are immune to damage from smoke inhalation.

Trip (Ex): An alley wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+3 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the wolf.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): An alley wolf retains its dexterity bonus to AC even if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, it still loses its Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Urban Lunge (Ex):
    As long as an alley wolf has two vertical surfaces within jumping distance of one another it can leap from side to side as a full round action each round, moving up or down at its base speed. If it stops this leap at any point to perform another action without coming to a horizontal surface it falls, taking standard damage for the height its fallen.

The wolf need not make a climb check, and can hop from even smooth surfaces. Slippery surfaces require the wolf to make a DC 15 reflex save each round or fall.

Skills: Alley wolves have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They recieve an additional +6 racial bonus on listen and hide checks. They also have a +6 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Lupus Urbanus (PEACH)

Urban Lunge = Flying Bird Flip. It seems we have a Ninja Dog. 8)

Very nice. Makes me glad I recently moved to a rural area and only have to deal with regular wolves.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

You may want to make Hear the Unseen a bonus feat, as it requires Blind-fight, a feat that the Alley Wolf doesn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One
    You may want to make Hear the Unseen a bonus feat, as it requires Blind-fight, a feat that the Alley Wolf doesn't have.
    D'oh, had forgotten that. Guess I'll add it in.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Back on the subject of Urban Leap for a moment, what happens if the Alley Wolf takes damage while using it? Perhaps a Reflex save vs. the damage dealt or it falls?
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HordeCommander5
    Back on the subject of Urban Leap for a moment, what happens if the Alley Wolf takes damage while using it? Perhaps a Reflex save vs. the damage dealt or it falls?
    It'll hurt, but it won't stop them any more than it'd stop a wolf running normally or an ape from climbing, that is unless its killed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    It'll hurt, but it won't stop them any more than it'd stop a wolf running normally or an ape from climbing, that is unless its killed.
    But an ape can stop climbing, do something else while hanging from a branch, then continue climbing again.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm...seems to me that it would take a little more precision to leap gracefully from wall to wall than to run along the ground, but it's your creature...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

This creature reminds me of Wolf's Rain a bit, or at least the Urban Lunge ability does.

Cool critter as usual, VT.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

A wonderful urban terror, as if people aren't enough of one. ;)

I don't DM, but wiping out a pack of these sounds like a good side-quest for mid-levels.

How do druids feel about Alley Wolves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma

But an ape can stop climbing, do something else while hanging from a branch, then continue climbing again.
    Fine, bad example, what happens if a monk is shot while using his Slow Fall? Just can't really plan for every occassion. You can be on fire and still manage to bluff someone out using a feint without making checks.

Hmm...seems to me that it would take a little more precision to leap gracefully from wall to wall than to run along the ground, but it's your creature...
    Well, it IS a magical beast ;)

How do druids feel about Alley Wolves?
    I'd say they feel both saddened and impressed by them. Not every creature can adapt to a completely new enviroment, and they've more than thrived here.

In fact, some of the more neutral druids may even have a sense of vindication from seeing the wolves getting back at the creatures who took over their once natural lands.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Fine, bad example, what happens if a monk is shot while using his Slow Fall?
    Absolutely nothing, because when she gets shot the monk has stopped Slow Falling! ;)
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma
    Absolutely nothing, because when she gets shot the monk has stopped Slow Falling! ;)
    Yea... err. I think the punchline died in transit :-/

Edit: Just corrected mistakes in HP, some modifiers and increased its AC. Whats with standard dogs having +4 natural armor? ???

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just took a moment to visualize actually fighting these things in an Alley and got chills.
    Real chills. Rock on.

Somebody caught the Hear The Unseen thing, good.
    That was my only critique mechanically.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I want to see low intelligence characters meet them.
    "Aww, it's so cute. Aaaah! It bites! It bites!"
    I like it. And, as always, I hope my DM doesn't find it, or my rogue will probably be the one to meet a pack...
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny
    I just took a moment to visualize actually fighting these things in an Alley and got chills.
    Aye, I just wish I ran a campaign I could use them in. A city-based campaign would definetely be interesting.

I'm also thinking of doing a super version of these guys whom have completely adapted to the city life of Sigil.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm also thinking of doing a super version of these guys whom have completely adapted to the city life of Sigil.
    Ach! Hans, run! It's the Sigillian Paragon Alley Wolves!

Man, that Urban Leap ability is weird. It would be very surreal to watch a wolf bounce back and forth off walls, even as its packmates sneak up to finish you off.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad
    Man, that Urban Leap ability is weird. It would be very surreal to watch a wolf bounce back and forth off walls, even as its packmates sneak up to finish you off.
    If you knew what was good for you you wouldn't be watching any but the ones going for your jugular ;)