New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Help with some sci-fi worldbuilding and other things

Good day, one and all.

On another forum, I take part in a rather interesting sci-fi strategy RPG, which pits homebrewed science fiction empires against each other. Some of these homebrew factions are interesting and original. Others... not so much.

What i'm submitting this thread for is a hand in this game. Not in the game mechanics, but in the fluff, the backstory, the 'real' aspect of the game. How hard shots hit, how fast ships go at FTL, that kind of stuff. The kind of stuff that is necessary for good RP, but doesn't necessarily affect gameplay. Specifically, i'd like some help developing a history that explains how this enormous variation of cultures came to exist. We've got everything from a literal Space-British Empire (complete with starfaring WWI dreadnoughts) to flying whale-people to starfaring werewolves, and explanation of galactic history would be great. We can't rely on players of our own to make it, because they'd inevitably be biased to their own faction ('Oh, my faction used to the rule the galaxy' stuff), so i'm going to an outside observer, you guys.

I'd also like to see how you rate the mishmash of factions for interest and originality, compared to other established sci-fi settings. We've recently had a restart in our game, so not all of the subforum names will match up with the factions in them right now, and not all of the faction info is finished. And finally, if anyone's interested in a versus discussion, how would some of these empires fare against empires from published sci-fi settings like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (new, not old), Firefly, Halo, etc.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=624

Here's the link with all the info for all the factions. Let's hear what you think.
    Last edited by Executor; 2009-04-11 at 02:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!
    he is like the demigod of vs. threads
    They can take our lives... but they'll never take our AWESOME!!!

Awarded EvilElitest the Trophy for winning the internet.

Alumnus of the Sauron vs Voldemort thread
    <ASVSVA>

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help with some sci-fi worldbuilding and other things

Any chance of giving us a summarry of each of them? That's kind of a big list and some of the forums are a bit empty. Might be helpful.

I'll have a look over it myself. Just a quick question, what type of game is this for? Video-game? Pen and paper? Board game? Tabletop miniatures? Each kind of benefits from a different level of fluff strength/open-endedness.

Also, some paragraph in your post might be nice too, it's a bit of a wall of text at the moment

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sorry, sometimes I kinda get into 'the zone' when i'm writing a long post, and I end up forgetting paragraphs.

Let's see here, off the top of my head:

Space British Empire: Just what it says on the tin, Edwardian-era British Empire transplanted to the future. Cool but inefficient starship design based on WWI dreadnoughts, primarily armed with coilguns and railguns which fire 100-ton slugs of metal at 1% c, so the impact is typically in the 100-megaton range.

Leviathan Commonwealth: Floating whale-like creatures, with powerful physic abilities. Their weaponry is based on plasma, which heats us matter to thousands of degrees, with the expected effects upon ships or ground targets.

The Triumvirate: A group of three races who've banded together to form a single nation under one banner, governed by a caste system. One of the races is a warrior-race, the second workers and farmers, the third scientists and engineers. They prefer directed-energy weapons which, like the Leviathans, rely on heating.

Savonian Collectives: Humanoids, rather similar to Protoss in appearance (shorter head, and wider waist though). By evolution, they are nocturnal predators on a extremely cold Hoth-like world. Their preferred weapons are a combination of plasma weapons and antimatter missiles which turn the target itself into a bomb through the matter-antimatter reaction.

The League of Trantor: A confederation of multi-racial business corporations, guilds and conglomerates, governed by a Guildskraat. A sort of mash-up of Foundation with Dune. They rely on a mixture of railguns and antimatter missiles for their military.

The Tribe of Xiro: The aformentioned space-werewolves. Not a lot of information about them down yet, but they also seem to rely on magnetic weaponry.

The Theian Confederation: More humans, these ones more obviously steampunk than the British. They rely on a Phlebutonium-type thing called Claudia, which reacts with water to release excessive amounts of energy. This is used to operate work technology rather similar to the steamworks of Earth's 19th century, but more potent. Their weapons also seem to be kinetic in nature.

More information can be reached through the appropriate threads.
    Last edited by Executor; 2009-04-11 at 03:00 PM.
    Executor - for a Vs. thread, you have laid out the case for this confrontation very intelligently - bravo!

<ASVSVA>

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm more interested in social systems than weapons for the moment.

If you're willing to invent enough technomagic, almost any kind of weapon can be made to work. Social structures and alien psychology, on the other hand, can be discussed a bit more coherently even if we don't know exactly what all the technomagic is capable of.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, the Space-Brits are a classical parliamentary constitutional monarchy, with the same class divisions as you'd see in Victorian Britain. There's a couple federal democracies, such as the Valerran Alliance, and the Confederation of Theia. There's a handful of super-capitalistic states, more or less ruled by corporations, like the League of Trantor and the Interstellar Banking Corp. The Leviathans come across as a communistic bureaucracy to me, but that's just my own impression.

These are just off the top of my head. For more detail, you have to consult the respective faction threads.

<ASVSVA>

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hm what I don't get is how the Leviathans developed what's essentially human cognitive ability. They apparently think exactly like us, to the point of going through the same historical processes and formation of societies like hours, yet at the same time their environment is not even remotely similar. Hell, one of the main reasons we developed cognition in the first place is because there was already a rich history of our ancestors (like chimps) using tools... From what I gather the Leviathans had pretty much nothing to use as tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Apparently that player is replacing the Leviathans with another species called the Cathar, which evolved from that planet's equivalent to felines. Felines with opposable thumbs and a prehensile tail, I guess.

<ASVSVA>

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Apparently that player is replacing the Leviathans with another species called the Cathar, which evolved from that planet's equivalent to felines. Felines with opposable thumbs and a prehensile tail, I guess.
    Oh great, a nation of catgirls.
    The fastest animal alive today is a small dinosaur, Falco Peregrino.
    It prays mainly on other dinosaurs, which it strikes and kills in midair with its claws.
    This is a good world

Calcifer the Fire Demon by Djinn_In_Tonic

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    If they're a lot like terrestrial felines:

What kind of civilization would a bunch of nonsocial carnivores create? It would not look much like a human one, I imagine.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post

What kind of civilization would a bunch of nonsocial carnivores create? It would not look much like a human one, I imagine.
    Or, if their civilization IS like a human one, why? Was it due to outside cultural influences? Something else?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post

Well, I believe these felines are closer to our lions in behavior, rather than tigers or other big cats. So there definetely was a pre-existing social structure in place, of sorts. Matriarchal, rather than patriarchal, as I understand it.

<ASVSVA>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good start.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    _______