New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Because he's a flat, 2-dimensional character?

"That is not logical. Logical. Lo-lo-lo-logical. (Gaah, I feel like a rap song or something).

Seriously, Spock shows no real character growth before being introduced to poker. "In chess, when one is outmaneuvered, checkmate". "Not chess, poker".
    Spock Rap! Nimoy came close in this song from his album. The video is another sillyness somebody else created much later.
    Last edited by Goshen; 2009-04-13 at 07:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by Goshen View Post
    Spock Rap! Nimoy came close in this song from his album. The video is another sillyness somebody else created much later.
    LOL

And I tought that the Ballad was the worst. May the Titans bless the internet
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    As for the Spock pinch, I'm not exactly sure what's going on. We clearly see "Spock" attempting, with no effect. And Spock is clearly surprised in the fifth pannel.
    Heh, before I saw Parson pitch over in panel 7 I took panel 6 to be Parson saying "Uh, you're violating my personal space, dude", with the Spock caster all wrapped about him for 4 panels...

But yeah. Curiouser and curiouser.

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by chefsotero View Post
    And I tought that the Ballad was the worst. May the Titans bless the internet
    I actually bought Shatner's album, which is even worse then Nimoy's, because I thought it was cool. I was 13 at the time and had been watching star trek since I was six. It's a good thing I have no shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    As for the Spock pinch, I'm not exactly sure what's going on. We clearly see "Spock" attempting, with no effect. And Spock is clearly surprised in the fifth pannel. Was he expecting it to work quicker?
    I think so. That, in turn, makes me think Parson is faking! He may have thought, "They have me surrounded with superior firepower. I'd better fall for this non-violent attack, before they do something serious."

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by Goshen View Post
    I actually bought Shatner's album, which is even worse then Nimoy's, because I thought it was cool. I was 13 at the time and had been watching star trek since I was six. It's a good thing I have no shame.
    Hail to the geek, when I was 13 my mom ofered me either a puppy or a model of the enterprise.... I still have my NCC 1701

I think so. That, in turn, makes me think Parson is faking! He may have thought, "They have me surrounded with superior firepower. I'd better fall for this non-violent attack, before they do something serious."
    I also think the FSNP didn't work but I think janis did something, making someone pass out in bliss sound quite like hipiemancy to me, but parson faking does make sense
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

6. - Top - End - #276
    Pixie in the Playground

In my last post on "rands", I just posted a link, but here it is spelled out a bit more:

Rand Holmes was apparently a cartoonist who published a number of underground comics in the 60's and 70's, most of them centered around marijuana consumption and the hippie lifestyle.

He designed a silver coin for Lasqueti Island in Canada, where it is in fact legal tender under Canadian law.

One or two links might have been just coincidence, but five?

As for Lasqueti Island itself, here's a summary from wikipedia:

Lasqueti Island is ... the only one of the larger Gulf Islands that is not connected to BC Hydro's electrical power grid. Solar, wind, micro-hydro and fossil fueled generators power the island ... Lasqueti is a major enclave of Canadian counter culture ... The cookie stand operates on an honour system and is always worth checking out ... no real markets exist on the island, just an informal food cooperative.

Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Quanton; 2009-04-13 at 10:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Quanton View Post
    In my last post on "rands", I just posted a link, but here it is spelled out a bit more...
    I think you must have hit it, Quanton - thus proving there is no reference, no matter how obscure, that the collective consciousness of the 'Net cannot ferret out.

As to the Vulcan... I see an homage to "Spaceballs" by Mel Brooks.

"What are you doing?"

"The... Vulcan... neck pinch?"

"No no no, you got it all wrong. It ought to be higher."

"Like this?"

"Yeah -" FLUMPH!

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Quanton View Post
    In my last post on "rands", I just posted a link, but here it is spelled out a bit more:

Rand Holmes was apparently a cartoonist who published a number of underground comics in the 60's and 70's, most of them centered around marijuana consumption and the hippie lifestyle.

He designed a silver coin for Lasqueti Island in Canada, where it is in fact legal tender under Canadian law.

One or two links might have been just coincidence, but five?

That's right- We have no evidence of anybody but a hippiemancer actually exchanging goods or services for Rand. It would certainly make sense for them to be useless to anyone else.

That changes the thinkamancers "No charge" from an altruistic or self-serving 'We will help' or 'We want all the credit' to a more snarky 'Don't bother paying us what you offered.'

Perhaps Rand are used for the purchase of Mawijuana?
    Last edited by Decius; 2009-04-14 at 12:38 AM.
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, I can't wait to see what happens next! Great references to so many things in this place, and now parson can truly gain his full power.
    Welcome to the internet, where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Thanks to kpenguin for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
    I think you must have hit it, Quanton - thus proving there is no reference, no matter how obscure, that the collective consciousness of the 'Net cannot ferret out.

As to the Vulcan... I see an homage to "Spaceballs" by Mel Brooks.

"What are you doing?"

"The... Vulcan... neck pinch?"

"No no no, you got it all wrong. It ought to be higher."

"Like this?"

"Yeah -" FLUMPH!
    See also Himalayan Time Suspension Technique.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

11. - Top - End - #281
    Barbarian in the Playground

An important thing is to note is the difference between "disbanding" and "croaking".

Disbanding seems to be a dissolving back to wherever you came from. For most Erfworlders, this is a death sentence either way. However, since Parson had a life beforehand he must be aware that there is a chance that he could be sent back to Earth if he is disbanded, whereas croaked is croaked. No coming back from that.

It seems a reasonable assumption that Parson discovered that units were disbanded, rather then croaked when he found out about the magic kingdom portal. This is why he was all, "there's no place like home" just before entering it.

It was what I was expecting too. I thought Parson would disband, perhaps to be summoned again by a different faction at a later date. It really felt like stepping though that portal would take him back. That it didn't is very disconcerting to me.

Also, I don't think Parson could fake going unconscious that well, so he's probably is out for a bit. It would have been cool if he could have gone all "mother black dragon" against all those "V" type mancers.

Spock pinches him and he's like, "No." Then he grabs Spock and uses him as a human shield and bats back the spells flung at him with his sword. It's well known that flashy spells can be reflected back at the caster, especially if you have a mirror. He then takes all the mancers own and does a victory dance. Woot!
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2009-04-14 at 02:53 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    That's right- We have no evidence of anybody but a hippiemancer actually exchanging goods or services for Rand. It would certainly make sense for them to be useless to anyone else.

That changes the thinkamancers "No charge" from an altruistic or self-serving 'We will help' or 'We want all the credit' to a more snarky 'Don't bother paying us what you offered.'
    Rofl. Awesome point.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystyco View Post
    Parson an hippiemancer? it's less likely than you think.

He'd fit better in Clevermancy IMHO
    I'll admit as a Hippiemancer he sucks a bit (killing over ten thousand Erfworlders), but don't forget there are 3 branches of Hippiemancy according to this table.

Unlikely he has anything to do with Flower Power, but Signamancy (fate) and Date-a-mancy (numbers) are possible).

No idea what Signa is...quick google revealed it to be the name of a Green chemical company which might be the reference.

Someone previously mentioned that Date-a-mancy might be time travel, but that seems off to me (wouldn't it be Datemancy?). Date-a-mancy might be another way of saying Datamancy, although I've no idea how that compares to mathmancy.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feirgon View Post
    I really like the idea that all references in Erfworld are from the 20th century or sooner.
    I don't remember many references from the 19th century or earlier, but there are references to the 21st century (such as the aforementioned A Mighty Wind, which is a 2003 movie; and of course most Internet pop-culture references. So 20th century or later, not sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't remember many references from the 19th century or earlier, but there are references to the 21st century (such as the aforementioned A Mighty Wind, which is a 2003 movie; and of course most Internet pop-culture references. So 20th century or later, not sooner.
    a mighty wind is lyrics from a song. Plug all those words into google and click on the youtube link.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post

Someone previously mentioned that Date-a-mancy might be time travel, but that seems off to me (wouldn't it be Datemancy?). Date-a-mancy might be another way of saying Datamancy, although I've no idea how that compares to mathmancy.
    A date-a-mancer is great at pick-up lines. :P
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-04-14 at 02:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll admit as a Hippiemancer he sucks a bit (killing over ten thousand Erfworlders), but don't forget there are 3 branches of Hippiemancy according to this table.

Unlikely he has anything to do with Flower Power, but Signamancy (fate) and Date-a-mancy (numbers) are possible).

No idea what Signa is...quick google revealed it to be the name of a Green chemical company which might be the reference.
    "Sign" as in astrological sign.

It sounded like numerology, belief in the magic of numbers, particularly with regards to calendar dates.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    Couldn't make out the shape of the wand without copying it to a paint program (not on my normal computer and suffering from lower res here). Yes, that's bottle shaped, so it's likely that the intent is for Jeannie. But still, the robe is definitely wrong. Jeannie wore "Arabian" garb to be consistent with the Arabian Nights djinn concept, and so she wore a belly-dancer's costume. That included balloon pants, not a dress.

Firiona's cloak is ankle length, and would look like a dress without the wind they usually blow at her to show skin from that rear-left angle.
    Lay off it already. So it's a dress (skirt actually) instead of ballon pants - thats why its almost exact. The switch from ballon pants to skirt is much less of a stretch than turning a cloak that hangs from the shoulder into a skirt at the waist and then changing the color of everything from blue to pink. Honestly, the only link to the EQ elf is that it's a blonde with a bare midriff.

The outfit is very much in line with Jeanie's, the skirt/pants thing being the only exception, and that being a very minor alteration.

All the outfit items are the right color.

While it does appear to be a skirt, it is the same color/material as the balloon pants.

The top of the skirt (waistband) matches the top of the balloon pants in color and shape. It even has the same cutout pattern on the sides where the lighter pink material shows through (look by her left hand).

She has the same darker pink "jacket" top with the same cap sleeves.

She's wearing armbands on the bicep (not armored bracers on the forearm as shown in some of the EQ pics).

The wand is her bottle.

She's got the same hat.

And lastly, look again. That's not blonde hair dangling down her back: it's pink. It's the flimsy sort of transluscent scarf/veil material attached to the top of her hat.

So all the EQ kiddies can give it a rest already, it's not the elf!

(By the way, it's not the Mario Princess either)
    Last edited by blackbird71; 2009-04-14 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo fix

19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    a mighty wind is lyrics from a song. Plug all those words into google and click on the youtube link.
    Waaaaaaaayyy ahead of you.

And it's still from 2003, which is still after the first January of 2001, so it's still the 21st century rather than the 20th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Waaaaaaaayyy ahead of you.

And it's still from 2003, which is still after the first January of 2001, so it's still the 21st century rather than the 20th.

I believe what they're trying to tell you is that the *movie* is from the 21st century but the song is for the 20th and the comic references the song, *not* the movie.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

21. - Top - End - #291

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    When did Orko?
    When did Carl Sagan?
    When did Jeannie?
    Actually, Orko used to have a wand. He lost it, and that's why he was so bad at magic - his wand was used to control his magic ability. Back in Trolla, he was a great wizard apparently.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I have a theory on why he's a hippiemancer. Look at the three primary elements of magic- life, matter and motion. Hippiemancy consists of life and matter. As we have seen he is still alive and is made of a lot of matter, but can't achieve much motion...

Probably not though...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    "Sign" as in astrological sign.
    Hah, I can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks.

I can't see Parson as much of a stargazer. That must mean he's the date-a-mancy type.

But why would the Hippiemancer know more then anyone else? Most people seem to recognise what casters are just by looking at them.

The spell was supposed to have been created by lookmancers/findmancers. Did the Hippiemancers corrupt it to summon someone that might end war in Erfworld forever?
    Last edited by SteveD; 2009-04-15 at 10:20 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294

I just realized we can see a thinkamancer who must be Bunny on page 99, panel 6. She's think-a-gram-ing between the Don and Vinnie.

25. - Top - End - #295

I can't see Parson as much of a stargazer. That must mean he's the date-a-mancy type.
    Well, he's certainly no Grand Abbie.

The spell was supposed to have been created by lookmancers/findmancers. Did the Hippiemancers corrupt it to summon someone that might end war in Erfworld forever?
    It would be a nicely plausible twist, that when Wanda went to order the spell, she ordered a Perfect Warlord - without specifying "Perfect... for whom?"

So aye, instead of Stanley's perfect warlord, they get a Caster's perfect Warlord...

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hmm, if he puts down his sword, he lacks ruthlessness and combat ability. If he takes off his glasses, he sees units as people instead of stats. If he takes off his bracer, he can't effectively think in terms of trading friendly lives for enemy lives.

Maybe the cereal box was lying when it described his reliance on magic items as an incompleteness in his warlordness. Maybe his deficiencies are part of his peacelordness.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

So, how exactly can creating a warlord/hippymancer end war on erfworld? Especially when the named warlord is sent to a side with only 1 city, less than 200 living man and a army of more than 10.000 units attacking in less than 5 turns? Not to forget that he is bound to the will of a halfwit like Stanley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    So, how exactly can creating a warlord/hippymancer end war on erfworld? Especially when the named warlord is sent to a side with only 1 city, less than 200 living man and a army of more than 10.000 units attacking in less than 5 turns? Not to forget that he is bound to the will of a halfwit like Stanley.
    Uh, humm ...

"Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy... the fear to attack. And so, because of the unpersonal and irrevocable decision-making process of duty which rules out moral meddling, the Doomsday volcano is terrifying and simple to understand... and completely credible and convincing."

As the guy in my previous (and soon returning, after we see Stanley again) avatar said.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, people will definitely stop attacking volcanos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

I think this is unlikely. Sizemore and Wanda seemed able to distinguish characteristics of the spell just by holding it ("Ooh. It pulses. With... what kind of magic? Fate?") While Findamancy and Lookamancy are both Erf axis, neither of their classes include the Matter access while Hippiemancy does. Had the Hippimancers augmented the spell, I think at least Wanda (and probably Sizemore) would have been able to tell that something was off.

The only Fate axis disciplines from classes that don't use Matter are Predictamancy, Dollamancy, Thinkamancy, and Healamancy. Predictamancy and Thinkamancy both fall within the classes fo the other two disciplines already included in the spell, but I don't think either of those could have had the effect we're talking about here. Maybe Dollamancy -- anyone watching Joss Wheedon's The Dollhouse? Could be something about altering Parson's personality a bit as he's summoned for this "encounter"... Of course, the comic predates The Dollhouse, but that doesn't mean the concept couldn't be similar.

It could also be "Healamancy" if we take the liberal definition of healing- maybe he's supposed to heal the rifts between the sides by ending war?

EDIT I don't know why I recalled that it was lookamancy - it's actually predictamancy for the second discipline so that shoots this theory to heck. That actually narrows down the elements involved to just Life, so only Hocus Pocus and Clevermancy classes could be involved without adding another element that Wanda or Sizemore might detect.
    Last edited by greywords; 2009-04-16 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Correcting mis-remembered components of the spell