New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Jillian was heir. That's different.
    Maybe. But even as barbarian Jillian (or now Stanley) has to pay upkeep for her units. As barbarian she got her own purse and used mercenary work to fill it, but where did she get the initial money, that allowed her to survive long enough to get mercenary work? And why should whatever mechanism filled her purse not also allow Parson to survive some turns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

He's a hippiemancer because he's fat.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    I'm with the people that claim quick lie, but I'd find the alternative just as interesting. Everyone's been wanting to find out what the heck *special means for a long time now.
    If she just wanted to protect him what not just agree he was a Mathomancer.
    Why go with a less believable Hippiemancer label?

Maybe his rl slacker lifestyle has something to do with it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post
    So what kind of currency do we think Rands are?

I'm thinking that the magic kingdom is supposed to be Galt's Gulch.

Either that or it's a reference to the RAND corporation... these are the finest minds in Erf after all...
    Well, the obvious reference is that the Rand is the currency of South Africa.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Well, this would be why Spock is a hippiemancer. Presumably he originated in hobbittm. Egad.

Four master-class thinkamancers... and the two thinkamancers we have seen so far are both based on real people (Thatcher, Sagan). Any guesses as to who's gonna show up?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

While people can see stats, apparently they don't normally see names or questions like, "Isn't that so-and-so?" would never be asked. I think Sizemore just visits the Magic Kingdom so often, and trained under all the specialties, so he's pretty much known personally by many.
    I think names are not displayed currently because Sizemore, Maggie and Wanda are subsumed in the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chefsotero View Post
    And so was the Tool. So we only have exemples of heir's becaming barbarian after the King passes. (Just a tought)
    This are the examples we have seen, but there should be other cases. Ansom wondered if Jillian was a royal. If only heirs and overlords can be barbarian, he would be sure that she was royal. The possibility that she wasn't, would be insignificant because only very rarely non-royals get promoted to heir.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Is Jeannie using her bottle as a wand?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

I'm also of the opinion that Janis was just winging it and making stuff up. (Even if for some reason it's true Parson is a Hippiemancer, how would she know?)

While people can see stats, apparently they don't normally see names or questions like, "Isn't that so-and-so?" would never be asked. I think Sizemore just visits the Magic Kingdom so often, and trained under all the specialties, so he's pretty much known personally by many.
    Normal warlord/caster stat vision clearly doesn't reveal names; if it did, Stanley would have been able to see Jack's name as soon as Maggie suggested addressing him by name.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by surtt View Post
    If she just wanted to protect him what not just agree he was a Mathomancer.
    Why go with a less believable Hippiemancer label?
    She seems to be the top Hippiemancer; labelling him that way would put her in charge of him instead of the top Hocus-Pocus-mancer.
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

And Sizemore's generosity pays off. Nicely done, Titans. Nicely done.
    RSS! RSS! RSS! RSS!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Well, the obvious reference is that the Rand is the currency of South Africa.
    Yes, obvious. And makes no sense that I could think of.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

One note:

Carl Sagan said that there would be four more thinkamancers arriving in a few minutes. So Erfworlders do have the concept of minutes, and presumably hours, seconds, etc. AFAIK this is the first time we have seen anyone in the comic use conventional units of time (other than the day/night cycle which seemed almost inextricable from the turn based timing system).

It makes sense too, otherwise a side could simply choose never to end turn for whatever reason and screw up the whole system. Each turn presumably has a definite time limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
    Thanks to Bisected8 for the avatar.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post

- Wicked Witch of the West
    Weirdomancer
    The Wicked Witch's main power seems to be in her minions, and I think the Spookism School is all about animating the inanimate (like the Bears). Besides, shouldn't she be a Spookist?

I do believe in spooks! I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do!

OK, now that I've got that out of my system: are we sure all three of the casters on the left side of the panel are all from the same mythos? Seems a bit odd to me given the eclectic nature of the other references. I can't figure out who else "Hermione" and "Potter" might be, but "Dumbledore" COULD conceivably be Merlin. Definitely can't be Gandalf, as Gandalf wouldn't be caught dead without his signature hat. Or maybe he would.

EDIT: I love that the end of Jeannie's wand is her bottle.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2009-04-11 at 05:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Ok, so the snakes have always been there. I guess I just didn't notice it before because there were so few. But why are the snakes there?
    Biblical reference (Moses and the Pharaoh's Mages)? Maybe the castors create snakes all the time as a form of magical competition?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grunthos View Post
    Well, this would be why Spock is a hippiemancer. Presumably he originated in hobbittm. Egad.

Four master-class thinkamancers... and the two thinkamancers we have seen so far are both based on real people (Thatcher, Sagan). Any guesses as to who's gonna show up?
    I should be very sad if Professor Xavier is not one of the Thinkamancers summoned... Perhaps Einstein as well?

Also, are you sure that is Jeanie? Princess Zelda also has an outfit identical to that in a couple of the games and on SSMB... complete with the hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why does Spocko look so thin in panel 6? Almost two-dimensional, just as his effect kicks in.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Things to keep in mind:

None of them can see unit stats on Parson, which is about as odd as seing someone with no visible neck and the head just bobbing there.
    Parson is big compared to most Erfworlders. Like, Twoll big. Heavy-Unit big. Would any caster even possibly be that big? So far the only units that size that have been reasonably intelligent (and still pretty far from Casters) have been the Knights in Stanley's Service and the Twolls (which I think is stretching the definition of "intelligent").
    Parson, to an Erfworlder, talks like a lunatic.

So we have a huge unit that doesn't scan come through a gate that only casters should survive, yet he shows no sign of that and garbed for full combat. Toss in the fact that (at best) he sounds like a lunatic (at worse) he sounds like Charlie, and it's no wonder everyone's pointing wands at him.

On a sidenote: Toss this into the "Charlie is a Human" category. I doubt Erfworlders would ever trust someone with no visible status unless that had summoned the guy and could disband him at will. If Charlie was a human, then he'd basically have to be this shadowy figure if he wanted to keep "playing".

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not convinced of the names for any of the three leftmost wizards people have come up with. All the others, fine. Possibly Dumbledore too. But the other two just look too generic for me to identify. I think 'Hermione' could just as easily be Snape, and surely black hair and a back view is not enough to be sure the other one's Harry Potter. Further evidence, please?
    To speed up forum loading, you can turn off Signatures, Avatars and/or Images separately from one another. See 'Visible Post Elements' under 'Thread Display Options' under 'Edit Options' in the User CP (Control Panel). Only works once you're logged in, though.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Normal warlord/caster stat vision clearly doesn't reveal names; if it did, Stanley would have been able to see Jack's name as soon as Maggie suggested addressing him by name.
    Or his identity hadn't been restored properly, until the "compos".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I do believe in spooks! I do believe in spooks! I do, I do, I do!

OK, now that I've got that out of my system: are we sure all three of the casters on the left side of the panel are all from the same mythos? Seems a bit odd to me given the eclectic nature of the other references. I can't figure out who else "Hermione" and "Potter" might be, but "Dumbledore" COULD conceivably be Merlin. Definitely can't be Gandalf, as Gandalf wouldn't be caught dead without his signature hat. Or maybe he would.

EDIT: I love that the end of Jeannie's wand is her bottle.
    It's weird, yes, but looking at the Movie Pics on Wikipedia, that is definitely Dumbledore. The hat and the robes match exactly. And "Hermione" and "Potter" are dressed in wizarding robes, use generic wands and have the correct hair colors.

On Thinkamancers
    The theme seems to be real-world intellectuals - Margaret Thatcher and Carl Sagan being the two we've seen so far. We could have more scientists (Einstein, Dirac, Feynman, Hawking) or more politicians (Goldwater, Nixon, Eisenhower) or we could have something from a different field. Perhaps some mathematicians or other classical figures - Newton, Socrates, Locke.

In any case, it's going to be someone recognizable either by name (Maggie) or by face (Sagan) - I think I'll put my money on classical figures; Socrates specifically. And a side bet on Newton

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Also, are you sure that is Jeanie? Princess Zelda also has an outfit identical to that in a couple of the games and on SSMB... complete with the hair.
    She has a bottle on the end of her wand. QED
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-11 at 06:17 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

Portal to the magic kingdom... does it only transport casters? *Or* does it transport anyone but the casters terminate non casters who use it (to protect their kingdom from invasion and keep the myth of "only casters")

Who in magic kingdom made the spell that brought Parson? If he is really is a hippiemancer, then perhaps the spell for "ultimate warlord" was for sneaky opposite purpose. If he isn't then perhaps hippymancer sees way to use him.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Hunter
    The theme seems to be real-world intellectuals - Margaret Thatcher and Carl Sagan being the two we've seen so far. We could have more scientists (Einstein, Dirac, Feynman, Hawking) or more politicians (Goldwater, Nixon, Eisenhower) or we could have something from a different field. Perhaps some mathematicians or other classical figures - Newton, Socrates, Locke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunthos
    So who is Bunny based on? The third thinkamancer you have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc
    I'm thinking that the magic kingdom is supposed to be Galt's Gulch.

Either that or it's a reference to the RAND corporation... these are the finest minds in Erf after all...
    The first one fits, powerful people all defected off to a secret island where they set up an ideal society? After they were being enslaved? Isn't that what galt said he did.
    The second one might fit. How much of casting is "mind", or smarts and how much of it is pointing and blasting? Its the differance between a DnD wizard and a hydra or basilisk.

And this whole scene. It seems to lack any centrilized control. No one is in charge. Janice has to pay other presumably friendly units to get things done. There was no central desicion process to deal with the intruder. There did not appear to be a chain of command. I'm wondering if the magic kingdom has a ruler? Could it be a "cityless side"? Perhaps the ruler got his mind shattered.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2009-04-11 at 06:31 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #84
    Banned

Two real people who were famous in the '70s, no less. . .

(shudders, briefly, at the thought of an empowered Henry Kissinger showing up)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Wait a minute. The guy with the atom wand is the thinkamancer.

Edit: Also, does anyone find it to be an odd coincidence that there are eight casters in the circle and there are eight classes of magic?

Super Edit: I'm an idiot. It was already established that the atom wand guy was the thinkamancer.
    Last edited by Cloudbreaker; 2009-04-11 at 06:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground

WTF!?!?!?!?!!??!?! Parson's a hippiemancer? No frackin' way! Yarrgh! A treehugger? A peace-nic? He's a gamer: he doesn't care about real things! And he's ruthless now, even if it does come from a sword (and that might just be a placebo effect, because good gamers don't care about their pieces). He's urban: he don't know squat about flowers. He's not spaced out or drug addled! And can you imagine Parson meditating? EVER?

Man, Parson is not going to be happy about that one. The Titans do have a sense of humour.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Halfling in the Playground

What about the figure standing just to the left of the left-hand pillar? Somewhat behind "Gandalf/Dumbledore's" wand?

As to "Rand"... why not Rand al'Thor?

It would be a currency of Luckamancy... these Rands let one do the most absolutely bone-headed actions imaginable, and get away with them.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    And this whole scene. It seems to lack any centrilized control. No one is in charge. Janice has to pay other presumably friendly units to get things done. There was no central desicion process to deal with the intruder. There did not appear to be a chain of command. I'm wondering if the magic kingdom has a ruler? Could it be a "cityless side"? Perhaps the ruler got his mind shattered.
    I don't think the magic kingdom really is a side at all. The GK casters can go there whenever they want so why can't other sides send their casters through? I think it might be more of a neutral territory for all casters to meet and exchange services. There's no chain of command, you just aren't allowed to fight anyone while there. This could also fit with Sagan's use of normal time units. Not being associated with a side, time in the magic kingdom could move independently of turns being taken elsewhere. Otherwise during Sizemore's first visit he probably would have known immediately when GK's turn had begun.

*Throws Oracle_Hunter a cookie*

Even if Janis is lying I'm still eager to see the explanation behind this. Why would she want to protect Parson?

And one thing I'm more eager to find out is Charlie's reaction to the fact that Parson survived.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

the two thinkamancers we have seen so far are both based on real people (Thatcher, Sagan). Any guesses as to who's gonna show up?
    My guesses: if we stay modern, then Hawking and Asimov seem likely; both would be pretty readily recognizable (wheelchair, distinctive facial hair style). I don't think. If historical figures are fair game, then Franklin (politician AND scientist, plus high pop culture recognition factor; sounds like a lock to me).

Other historical possibilities: Archimedes/Socrates/Plato (or pretty much any of the Greek philosophers; a guy in a tunic and sandals could be any one of them), Newton, Galileo, da Vinci.

I'm trying to figure out why Spockamancer's clothes are what they are. Black pants, sure, but if you're going to go with the white turtleneck then the jacket should be red. Unless it's a Mission Impossible or In Search Of reference; I can't remember what Nimoy usually wore in those.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

As to "Rand"... why not Rand al'Thor?

What would you do with fifty Rand's?

Or even fifty copied of Atlas Shrugged for that matter? Certainly not read them.