New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    My question is how did all those casters manage to get around the portal so quickly? I mean, it wasn't that long between the trimancer going through and Parson following.
    Given the way Erfworld mechanics work, I reckon there are likely to be a lot of units within the same hex as the portal, and they wouldn't have to spend any move to reach it. Either that, or the portal is in the Magic Kingdom equivalent of a city, in which case the same applies.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm reading this latest and thinking to myself... there is no way that nerve pinch should work... parson is wearing armor! if you look at panel 4 there is no way that hand had enough contact with nerve clusters to work... he was 90 percent on armor, rather then shirt. remember bogroll had armor made to look just like parsons shirt.

As for parson... he himself doesn't thinking the world considers him a unit... last paragraph here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html has him wondering that. If hes not a unit, then he probably can go through the portal and not be disbanded because the world doesn't consider him anything that CAN be disbanded.

As for being a hippiemancer... parson couldn't see his own stats, i don't think the hippiemancer could either. so i am agreeing with folks who think shes just covering up for him... if she cant see his stats, she may be intrigued enough to get to the bottom of that mystery... so claiming him as a hippiemancer can give plausible deniability.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

My question is how did all those casters manage to get around the portal so quickly? I mean, it wasn't that long between the trimancer going through and Parson following.
    The hippie glade is supposed to be close to the portal garden.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
    Gag! Nimoy must have been really broke to do that one.
    Each major member of the original Star Trek cast made an album, nearly all of them trancendently awful. It was the 60's! All the musical creativity of the time produced a lot of dross along with the diamonds. This song by William Shatner will have you laughing or barfing or both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc

Shatner has gone on to build an industry making fun of himself, and his current stuff really is funny.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Halfling in the Playground

So as far as I can see the currency debate goes

Rand = RANDcorp/Galt's Gulch - the currency of free-market loving geniuses

Rand = Rand-om unit of magic, the negotiable building block of a magic based economy (I actualy really like this one, it makes a lot of sense if you know a bit about economics)

with a lonely vote for Rand al' Thor (not being masocistic enough to read Robert Jordan, I can't comment) and for the obvious but unlikley South African Rand.

Have I missed any?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... It's clear that Parson expected to be disbanded, but thought that would be better than croaking.

Did he expect to be disbanded by the Portal, or by Stanley because the city fell?

I know there has been a lot of speculation based the portal being caster only, but other than the possibly misleading statements on this page, do we have any evidence of that?

Portal Park seems like a busy place (see panel 5).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    The hippie glade is supposed to be close to the portal garden.
    Looking at the aerial view of MK, it looks like Portal Park is in the center of the island, making each of the other zones equidistant from it.

Quote Originally Posted by hidufel View Post
    I'm reading this latest and thinking to myself... there is no way that nerve pinch should work... parson is wearing armor! if you look at panel 4 there is no way that hand had enough contact with nerve clusters to work... he was 90 percent on armor, rather then shirt. remember bogroll had armor made to look just like parsons shirt.
    Ah, but but remember, it's a Vulcan nerve pinch, which is applied to the neck. Parson's armor doesn't cover his neck, and there is definite hand-to-neck contact in panel 4. Interesting information on that page of possible real-world explanations of the pinch, though for the most part they are non-instantaneous... perhaps that explains the delayed effect on Parson?

As for parson... he himself doesn't thinking the world considers him a unit... last paragraph here http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html has him wondering that. If hes not a unit, then he probably can go through the portal and not be disbanded because the world doesn't consider him anything that CAN be disbanded.
    Interesting... perhaps a side effect of the spell is that ONLY the spell can disband him... or maybe he can't be disbanded at all and Stanley and Wanda are wrong on that account (Stanley is one to leap to conclusions, Wanda would see it as a useful way to control Parson even if she knew it were false).

As for being a hippiemancer... parson couldn't see his own stats, i don't think the hippiemancer could either. so i am agreeing with folks who think shes just covering up for him... if she cant see his stats, she may be intrigued enough to get to the bottom of that mystery... so claiming him as a hippiemancer can give plausible deniability.
    The general lack of reaction (other than from Stanley) to Parson's lack of stats reinforces for me the notion that commanders can only see stats for units of their own side and the table display of Jillian's stats was an effect of the eyemancer trio (maybe lookamancers or thinkamancers have a way to get that info, or maybe the link allowed them to do something otherwise possible, akin to waking the volcano)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    The general lack of reaction (other than from Stanley) to Parson's lack of stats reinforces for me the notion that commanders can only see stats for units of their own side and the table display of Jillian's stats was an effect of the eyemancer trio (maybe lookamancers or thinkamancers have a way to get that info, or maybe the link allowed them to do something otherwise possible, akin to waking the volcano)
    We've only seen part of the conversation, and there are many things to exclaim on. Like Parson being a hippymancer, or a warlord being in the magic kingdom. And if commanders can't see enemy stats how would Jillian know leadership was lost?

I still don't think we have conclusive evidence.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

An interesting page. I expected to see Stanley before we got back to Parson. I think that Parson is responding to someone asking/demanding why he was not disbanded by the portal (As a note, I AM waiting for a cake to show up sometime in here ). Parson had been on the other side of the portal for a bit as he went into the portal without his sword being drawn. I figure that he would have only drawn it after the casters started pulling wands/staffs on him. Parson is clealry trying to talk his way out of it before getting hit by the never pinch.
    As to why Janis might "claim" Parson, it can go a number of ways. Janis could be lying to keep things peaceful, she also might be thinking that Parson is a bit "hippy" as well. If a normal Erf warlord (or nearly any unit that was not a caster)came though the portal and had a bunch of wands pointed at him I strongly suspect they would attack no matter what the odds. But here we have Parson trying to talk his way of a fight. Very un-Erf like.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goshen View Post
    Each major member of the original Star Trek cast made an album, nearly all of them trancendently awful. It was the 60's! All the musical creativity of the time produced a lot of dross along with the diamonds. This song by William Shatner will have you laughing or barfing or both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc
    If you're gonna post a video of Shatner 'singing', why not go for the real deal? These are from the 70's.

Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year"
    Elton John's "Rocketman"

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    We've only seen part of the conversation, and there are many things to exclaim on. Like Parson being a hippymancer, or a warlord being in the magic kingdom. And if commanders can't see enemy stats how would Jillian know leadership was lost?

I still don't think we have conclusive evidence.
    Jillian could have observed that the dwagons were suddenly much less effective when they lost Stanley's massive bonuses (leadership,artifact, and probably the dance fighting bonus too)
    I agree though that there is no conclusive evidence.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

What magical combo is hippiemancery again? So they're froze up during the portal? They were lucid enough to go through it. Talking about money and charging? Maybe the guy is Charlie.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2009-04-12 at 09:11 AM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post

Who in magic kingdom made the spell that brought Parson? If he is really is a hippiemancer, then perhaps the spell for "ultimate warlord" was for sneaky opposite purpose. If he isn't then perhaps hippymancer sees way to use him.
    Ah, someone beat me to it. Yes it only just occurred to me with this strip that the Magic Kingdom devised the spell that brought Parson here and might just have slipped something extra into it.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir View Post
    Ah, someone beat me to it. Yes it only just occurred to me with this strip that the Magic Kingdom devised the spell that brought Parson here and might just have slipped something extra into it.

Unlikely. What profit could they have? These guys are contract worker and have a reputation to lose. And they probably wouldn't be too happy if a hippiemancer shows off and screws around their work.
    Even if this was some complex cabal by the magic kingdom itself, it was some really overcomplicated stuff. And badly executed. If they wanted the spell to work, they wouldn't have made an distinction between the spell itself and and the casting and only offered a packet. And lowered the price massively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kilkrazy View Post
    In most turn based wargames, each side's turn lasts a turn which takes as long as it takes for the player to finish. The overall length of the gameturn is not affected -- it still lasts as many player turns as there are players.

The moving player always finishes his turn, since not to do so simply causes the game to be suspended. In Erfworld this would be a compulsion on a side's leader to end turn.

It's also possible a turn is ended automatically once all a side's units have performed an action.

Thus it is possible that the flow of time during a turn can vary considerably, and that specific time limits are not involved.
    Yes, that's true; though there are turn based games with a time limit for turns, from ancients such as Chess to classics such as Age of Wonders, etc, etc. And it makes sense that there should be a limit for reasons already mentioned (namely, what if someone refuses to end turn for whatever reason? He can also prevent one or more of his units from taking an action and halt things that way).

As for minutes being a variable time span, how could that be, since you don't know in advance when your ruler will end turn?
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
    Thanks to Bisected8 for the avatar.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Hope the next update answers some questions.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeku View Post
    I'm going to cast a vote against the probability of seeing Professor X. The real bottom line is what fits Erfworld's style, and Xavier takes himself a little too seriously to be Erfed. His defining characteristic is that he's reasonable, respected, and in charge of himself. The only way we'd see him is as a diplomat.
    Wait, I thought Charlie was Professor X. I've been looking at this whole comic all wrong!

And Prof. X's defining characteristic is that he's a jerk.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by djharr View Post
    As to who Bunny is, I immediately thought of Bunny from Robert Aspirin's Myth Adventures series. She is the moll of a powerful gangland figure, and also acts as a part of his brain trust. Admittedly, it is a bit of a stretch, but it was the gangland connection that got me.

Of course, I am likely wrong.

David
    I'm inclined to second your opinion. She acted as Skeeves secretary, which is the most common role thinkamancers tend to fulfill in Erf, she was the daughter of a mob boss, acted as Skeeves Moll for official purposes (even if not really in practice), and there was a vampire connection in the books near the end there, although its been long enough I forget if the vampire(s) were a one-off, or if one or more became recurring characters.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    And if commanders can't see enemy stats how would Jillian know leadership was lost?
    In table-top games you can tell pretty quickly when the bonuses have changed by the frequency of success and failure changing. This is actually more obvious in computer games where there can be a lot of dice rolls (maybe hundreds per minute) to compare, but it is not unusual to notice the shift in combat before you have discovered the reason.

When fighting a fixed number of opponents MMORPG power players can usually spot the expiration of a buff by the speed at which their health or other stats declines.
    Last edited by Vreejack; 2009-04-12 at 10:52 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is certainly within the ralm of possibility that Janis lied about Parson being a Hippiemancer. It would be like a hippie to calm a situation by lying in a way no one else present could disprove.

However, I think the humour factor of Parson dealing with being a Hippiemancer far outweighs the lack of any casting in him at all. It really is a cruel joke to make Parson, a great Warlord, a master of the most peaceful magic of all.

Of course, Sun Tzu would be perfectly satisfied with this. For him, the best war is one in which not a single soldier on either side dies. Parson being able to end battles peacefully, wtihout resorting to ruthlessness, would get two thumbs up from the top man of warfare.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    oh it's harry alright, Harry Blackstone, though I dunno if it's senior or junior and he's the hocus-pocus 'mancer for sure
    Too bad it's not Harry Dresden, now that I think of it

20. - Top - End - #200

Okay, let's organize this. Using 140.2, and counting clockwise from Parson:

• Sizemore

• Maggie

• Wanda

• White robe, Red cape

• Wicked Witch (Wizard of Oz, East or West)

• Firiona Vie (Everquest box cover) wrong colours but that may be to deflect copyright claims
      Orko from He-man (also similar to Black Mage of Final Fantasy). Wizard class in EQ. Shockmancy would be nearest equivalent in Erfworld.

• Guy in Blazer, probably Thinkamancer, given later attempts at contacting others and knowledge of number of Thinkamancers available. (I think I should know who this is. There was a debunked psychic from the 70's or 80's that I think looked like this guy, and the blazer is consistent with that time frame. Name won't come to me, and Wiki isn't helping.)

• Black suited magician (potentially Harry Blackthorn Sr. or Jr., both costumed similarly), probably Stagemancer, potentially Carnymancy with no Hat around

• Brown robed caster

• Blue-grey robed, white bearded caster, Gandalf-esque. Could be any class. Gandalf was not well defined.

Behind Portal:
    • Janis, Hippiemancer

• Nimoy/Vulcan, dressed for "In Search Of" show, which may indicate Findamancy, Predictamancy, Mathamancy, or Weirdomancy (given "In Search Of"'s subject matter), but neck-pinch will come from Vulcan heritage, not spellcasting. If you disagree with the Pinch from Race, then it may indicate Deletionism (deleting Parson's consciousness)
    Last edited by Kreistor; 2009-04-12 at 02:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post

Rand = Rand-om unit of magic, the negotiable building block of a magic based economy (I actualy really like this one, it makes a lot of sense if you know a bit about economics)

with a lonely vote for Rand al' Thor (not being masocistic enough to read Robert Jordan, I can't comment) and for the obvious but unlikley South African Rand.

Have I missed any?
    Ayn Rand maybe?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    Okay, let's organize this. Using 140.2, and counting clockwise from Parson:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Sizemore
      Maggie
      Wanda
      White robe, Red cape
      Wicked Witch (Wizard of Oz, East or West)
      Firiona Vie (Everquest box cover) wrong colours but that may be to deflect copyright claims
      Orko from He-man (also similar to Black Mage of Final Fantasy). Wizard class in EQ. Shockmancy would be nearest equivalent in Erfworld.
      Guy in Blazer, probably Thinkamancer, given later attempts at contacting others and knowledge of number of Thinkamancers available. (I think I should know who this is. There was a debunked psychic from the 70's or 80's that I think looked like this guy, and the blazer is consistent with that time frame. Name won't come to me, and Wiki isn't helping.)
      Black suited magician (potentially Harry Blackthorn Sr. or Jr., both costumed similarly), probably Stagemancer, potentially Carnymancy with no Hat around
      Brown robed caster
      Blue-grey robed, white bearded caster, Gandalf-esque. Could be any class. Gandalf was not well defined.

Behind Portal:
    • Janis, Hippiemancer
      Nimoy/Vulcan, dressed for "In Search Of" show, which may indicate Findamancy, Predictamancy, Mathamancy, or Weirdomancy (given "In Search Of"'s subject matter), but neck-pinch will come from Vulcan heritage, not spellcasting. If you disagree with the Pinch from Race, then it may indicate Deletionism (deleting Parson's consciousness)
    I think we're pretty sure on most of these, actually:
    From Left to Right
    - Albus Dumbledore
    - Hermione Granger
    - Harry Potter
    - Carl Sagan
    - Orko
    - Jeannie
    - Wicked Witch of the West
    - Doctor Strange

All of the reference pictures (follow links) match pretty perfectly. The only one who isn't right is "Harry Potter" - the sleeve to too tight to be a wizarding robe and the wand is a "stage magic" wand.

Harry Blackstone Jr. seems like the best guess, judging from these pictures. Senior had poofier hair and although Jr. had brown hair, the style fits.

EDIT:
    The nerve pinch worked because it was magic. Parson didn't expect it to work because Spock tried to do it through his armor - but since it was magic, that didn't matter.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-12 at 12:39 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post

Have I missed any?
    I've got one: James Randi is the real-world stage magician who has an outstanding cash offer of a million dollars to anyone who can prove paranormal activity. Naming units of tradable magic power in Erf after him takes the same kind of comidic sense we've seen elsewhere in the series.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Ayn Rand maybe?
    Covered by "Galt's Gulch".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

Parson isn't a unit since no one can see his stats...
    he can't cast magic...http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0142.html

so what is he? Maybe he's a Tool.

[edit]
    sorry, i just reread some of the comic...he is a unit.. he gives a bonus of 2 to all units he leads. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0044.html

well he is something different. He can't cast magic but he can use magic tools, like his calculator and his arm bracer and that sword/hilt, and those 3d glasses.
    But he couldn't cast Luckamancy for Bogroll.
    Last edited by SomeUnregPunk; 2009-04-12 at 02:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

The third mage in the circle, the one that is being referred to as Harry Potter? Try Hoffa/Blackthorn. Or, another Stage magician -

He is wearing a french cuff shirt.

That is a suit, not a robe.

Stagemancy.
    Last edited by Athelian; 2009-04-12 at 03:03 PM.
    I'd take a drink, anytime now.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gerrymander View Post
    I've got one: James Randi is the real-world stage magician who has an outstanding cash offer of a million dollars to anyone who can prove paranormal activity. Naming units of tradable magic power in Erf after him takes the same kind of comidic sense we've seen elsewhere in the series.
    If there are only one million rands in the whole world and they can only be traded, not created or destroyed, that would make 50 rands quite an attractive offer.
    Only 8 rands for magic training, too.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    It is certainly within the ralm of possibility that Janis lied about Parson being a Hippiemancer. It would be like a hippie to calm a situation by lying in a way no one else present could disprove.

However, I think the humour factor of Parson dealing with being a Hippiemancer far outweighs the lack of any casting in him at all. It really is a cruel joke to make Parson, a great Warlord, a master of the most peaceful magic of all.

Of course, Sun Tzu would be perfectly satisfied with this. For him, the best war is one in which not a single soldier on either side dies. Parson being able to end battles peacefully, wtihout resorting to ruthlessness, would get two thumbs up from the top man of warfare.
    Well, Parson did say that it is best to achieve one's objectives without even fighting if possible.

And I appreciate the humor of making Parson a beginner hippiemancer too. Not cruel though. Generals that didn't inherit their position tend dislike war very much, they just take their responsibility to their charges lives more seriously. One of the biggest reasons millitary leaders who hate war stay on and lead is because they firmly believe that if they abandoned the post, more of their charges would die than if they remained. Now people that inherit their generalship, like Alexander, well, that's a whole different thing alltogether.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athelian View Post
    The third mage in the circle, the one that is being referred to as Harry Potter? Try Hoffa/Blackthorn. Or, another Stage magician -

He is wearing a french cuff shirt.

That is a suit, not a robe.

Stagemancy.
    Could be Jimmy Hoffa - the hair is right.

I gotta say, #3 just has me stumped
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Albus Dumbledore
    Hermione Granger
    Harry Potter
    One would be from HP, but not all three. I don't see the author referencing one source three times. Gandalf is far more likely for the first, and Blackthorn for the third. I'm okay with Hermione for the middle, but there's little enough distinguishing about that character, so she might be someone else. A lot of TV witches are blonde, so most are out for her.

[quote]Carl Sagan[/URL]

Sagan was a scientist, and everyone else are characters.

Okay, I remembered the Psychic -- Uri Geller. But I can't find any images of Geller wearing that get up, so he's out.

By clothing, Sagan does fit best, but I do repeat: he's the odd man out. Everyone else is fictional. Let's not close book on this one. There may be someone fictional out there that fits that we haven't thought of yet.

Jeannie
    Jeannie wore balloon pantaloons, not a dress. The single ponytail from the top of the head is exactly like Firiona, and only the colour of the dress is wrong. The Erfworld version also seems to have pointed ears, which is consistent with FV (an elf) but not Jeannie.

Doctor Strange
    Dang, I should have gotten this... that is blue for a shirt, inside the thin white line, isn't it? I didn't notice that first time around. That high collar on the cloak should have clued me in right off.

The nerve pinch worked because it was magic. Parson didn't expect it to work because Spock tried to do it through his armor - but since it was magic, that didn't matter.
    I'm not saying it wasn't magic. We know that there are Natural Magics, like Archon flight and Contract. One would hope blood drinking and flight were natural magics for Transylvito vamps, for instance. The Vulcan nerve pinch is a racial ability for vulcans so it would be most consistent if it were a natural ability for the Vulcan/Nimoy.