New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Quote Originally Posted by SomeUnregPunk View Post
    Parson isn't a unit since no one can see his stats...
    he can't cast magic...http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0142.html
    He said he tried to cast luckamancy and nothing happened. He didn't say that he tried to cast every type of magic and failed. Failing to cast luckamancy then doesn't mean he lacks the potential. The Magic Kindgom trains people to use magic, so it could well be that Parson just needs training.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm not surprised to hear of the hippiemancer bit, and actually think it sticks, oddly enough.

I don't know word one about Hippiemancy (and would love to hear more, btw), but I suspect it's less to do about thunder, lightning, dirt and croak so much as it is about fudging stuff. You know, tweak a number here, pinch a bit of time there, stuff it elsewhere where it's more needed, etc. Subtle stuff like 'flaking' that you wouldn't notice unless you managed to put 2 and 2 together later on. You know, kinda like we're doing now on where he managed to get all that time offensively and defensively to get all his actions done.

'Course if I'm wrong I'd love to hear what it really is.
    Last edited by Dancingrage; 2009-04-12 at 03:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    One would be from HP, but not all three. I don't see the author referencing one source three times. Gandalf is far more likely for the first, and Blackthorn for the third. I'm okay with Hermione for the middle, but there's little enough distinguishing about that character, so she might be someone else. A lot of TV witches are blonde, so most are out for her.
    Look at this picture of Hermione. Now look at this picture of Dumbledore. The picture of Hermione is an exact match, as the Dumbledore - down to the hat.

"Harry Potter" is incorrect for #3. I have no idea who he is.

Jeannie wore balloon pantaloons, not a dress. The single ponytail from the top of the head is exactly like Firiona, and only the colour of the dress is wrong. The Erfworld version also seems to have pointed ears, which is consistent with FV (an elf) but not Jeannie.
    Look closely at the tip of her wand - it is a bottle, one highly similar in shape to the Jeannie Bottle.

Plus Firiona's outfit looks nothing like the one the Erfworlder is wearing. It doesn't even have pants! Jeannie's on the other hand, is almost an exact match.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-12 at 03:57 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Hack View Post
    Nice page, and a nice change of pace after the emotional tension of earlier.
    Oh, I dunno. This situation looks very similar to the previous comic... Someone faces down a large group of people, your friends are sitting there pretty much comatose, someone on the other side leaps to your defense, someone gets grabbed by the shoulder, and the forums still exploded... (Just kidding. XD)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Well, TV is a vampire kingdom, so I'm guessing it's a pet name for "Richard" Cheney

*rimshot*

In a more serious vein, TV seems to be the exception to many rules. They aren't humans, to start with, they sleep in coffins, and they drink blood. It is quite possible that their Thinkamancers follow different conventions.

So while I won't scrap my theory, I do admit this is puts a ding in it. Perhaps Thinkamancers can also be modeled after fictional great brains too - I can think of one Bunny that fits that description.

EDIT:
    Actually looked at the link and realized I hadn't connected Vamp-Chick with Bunny. I'm still sticking to "TV follows different conventions" though
    Okay, the TV side leans heavily on Italian Mafia setting, as well as dipping heavily into '50's era cultural references. In particular, the leader is referred to as The Godfather, and bears a striking resemblance to that character in the rather popular movie series.

One of the cliche things about Mafia, one that Robert Asprin used in his rather punny and cliche (though extremely entertaining) Myth series was the 'dead sexy, but highly intelligent mafia chick named Bunny'. This is FAR more likely than any Buffy the Vampire Slayer references, as that Buffy was about as intelligent as a bowl of oatmeal. Sometimes. On a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Firiona Vie doesn't do pink. All of those loading screens over the years (until her artist died) were bordered with blue to match her outfit. Heck, she attacked some of our clerics the week before last and she still wasn't pink, nor were the aggro'd clerics.

Waiting to see the Gang of Four. . .and probably wrong again. . .

7. - Top - End - #217
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
    If there are only one million rands in the whole world and they can only be traded, not created or destroyed, that would make 50 rands quite an attractive offer.
    Only 8 rands for magic training, too.

no, TWENTY! even if that was sizemore's full purse it would be too much...

I do like the idea of Rand = Randies and an upper limit for currency makes sense, but it relies on there being sufficiently few 'mancers to share it out or it would be subdivided. Janis said she would pay 50R each.

so...

RANDcorp
    Ayn Rand - Galts Gulch
    James Randi
    RANDom unit of currency

The Random makes sense from the point of view of a currency solely for use between 'mancers (which is what I think it is) but Randi/Galt and RANDcorp all make sense as pop-culture references.

Of cource, I move in circles where Randi is idolised... I am aware many outside the rabid athiest community may never have heard of him

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by People
    Firiona Vie
    Useless trivia learned through Erfworld: Everquest Pinup has a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    how did all those casters manage to get around the portal so quickly?
    Maybe they are on guard duty, so they had already been at the portal when Parson arrived ?
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, Portal Park looks like a pretty happenin' place. They probably were just standing around, and when they saw Parson come through they freaked out because:
    (1) He's huge
    (2) They couldn't see his stats
    (3) He had a sword and armor - and only casters should be able to go through the Portal.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, let's organize this. Using 140.2, and counting clockwise from Parson:

Guy in Blazer, probably Thinkamancer, given later attempts at contacting others and knowledge of number of Thinkamancers available. (I think I should know who this is. There was a debunked psychic from the 70's or 80's that I think looked like this guy, and the blazer is consistent with that time frame. Name won't come to me, and Wiki isn't helping.)
    Uri Geller. Yeah, i thought of him too, but since his main claim to fame is a cheap jack telekinesis trick (bending spoons), he wouldn't be presented as thinkamancer. In any case, the look, mannerisms, and speech fit Carl Sagan much better, so i'm sticking with that choice.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Also, there's the atomic symbol on the wand.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Guy in the blazer is definitely Carl Sagan. Nobody else makes sense given his implement. Not to mention his outfit is a straight match for the one he wore in Cosmos.

New idea for #3: Lance Burton

Stage magicians would make sense, as we haven't seen any stagemancers yet.

Which makes me realize...

Hocus Pocus: Jeannie
    Spookism: Orko
    Stuffamancy: Dr. Strange
    Eyemancy: Carl Sagan
    Hippiemancy: Dumbledore
    Naughtymancy: Wicked Witch
    Stagemancy: Lance Burton
    Clevermancy: Hermione

It would make sense that the eight are a representation of each of the 8 major magic classes. I'm 95% sure on my position of most of them, but not sure on Orko, Dr. Strange, or Dumbledore.

Stagemancers opens the door for Penn & Teller, and Randi, amongst others, which would be awesome to see.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Look at this picture of Hermione
    It's a brown haired girl in a robe. How can you say for certain that's not anyone else? As I said, there's too little detail to be absolutely certain.

Did have a thought. It could be Willow from Buffy. (Her hair colour varied from blonde through brown to red.) Hair length is right, too. And she wore that kind of robe in her darker period (when her hair darkened, too).

Now look at this picture of Dumbledore. The picture of Hermione is an exact match, as the Dumbledore - down to the hat.
    Gandalf often wears hats, too. There's too much pixelization to be certain what kind of hat he's wearing.

Look. I'm not saying that's not Dumbledore, and the other isn't Hermione. I'm saying they can't be both. If one is Dumbledore, the other is probably intended to be someone other than Hermione. The female has the fewest details and the least chance to identify properly.

Look closely at the tip of her wand - it is a bottle, one highly similar in shape to the Jeannie Bottle.
    Couldn't make out the shape of the wand without copying it to a paint program (not on my normal computer and suffering from lower res here). Yes, that's bottle shaped, so it's likely that the intent is for Jeannie. But still, the robe is definitely wrong. Jeannie wore "Arabian" garb to be consistent with the Arabian Nights djinn concept, and so she wore a belly-dancer's costume. That included balloon pants, not a dress.

Firiona's outfit looks nothing like the one the Erfworlder is wearing. It doesn't even have pants!
    Firiona's cloak is ankle length, and would look like a dress without the wind they usually blow at her to show skin from that rear-left angle.

Jeannie's on the other hand, is almost an exact match.
    No, they aren't. You can't see her ankles in that pic. She wore balloon pants, not a dress, since it was modelled on an Arabian belly-dancer's costume. Yes, near the waist they look like a dress, but they split and then are elasticed at the ankles. Lots of images with her with crossed legs that sort of do the job, but those hide the ankles, unlike this bed pic.

You can see them better here, at the 1:10 mark and best at 1:26, where she lifts her right leg, clearly showing those are pant legs, and not a dress.

Oh, and looking at the Sagan character's wand, I'll accept that is Carl Sagan, too, much as I don't like him as a Thinkamancer. He's got an atomic end to his wand, which would be indicative of a scientist. I'd rather see him as a Mathamancer, or Predictamancer. I suppose a Predictamancer could predict how many Thinkamancers were in the region. Actually, A Lookamancer would be consistent with an Astronomer, and then he'd definitely be able to tell how many Thinkamancers were in the region. So he's not calling them, he's only checking how many are available.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Orko is probably a hatamancer.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gandalf often wears hats, too. There's too much pixelization to be certain what kind of hat he's wearing.
    Gandalf wore a wide-brimmed hat when he was Gandalf the Grey. This wizard's robes are blue.
    Not to mention Gandalf wields a staff, not a wand.
    And if it was Gandalf he would probably be represented as Gandalf the White, not the Grey.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hmm, one kind of Hippiemancer is the Date-a-Mancer - maybe Parson will cast a time-travel spell and become Charlie. ( Just teasing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Parson as a Hippiemancer, I can see it to some extent. Parson has...
    - been obsessed by the question of free will in Erfworld;
    - a cultural bias towards notions of equality and human rights virtually unknown to Erf;
    - probably no compunction against using mind-altering substances.

Remember the "a mighty wind" excerpt overheard here?
    - Peace: Erfworld appears to be a world designed for constant warfare.
    - Freedom: In Erfworld, everyone except the overlords are devoid of free will.
    - Equality: Erfworld has three interlocking hierarchical systems; with levels; unit/leader/overlord; and commoner/noble/royal.
    In fact, most Earthlings are rather hippieish compared to Erfworlders.

I like Fjolnir's theory that TV has "Bunny ears", and like the Rands, there's probably multiple correct references. I just hope Bunny isn't anything like her namesake in the Babylon 5 universe, who was a sociopathic telepath who worked for the Shadows in the Passing of the Techno-Mages books.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrm View Post
    Gandalf wore a wide-brimmed hat when he was Gandalf the Grey. This wizard's robes are blue.
    And if it was Gandalf he would probably be represented as Gandalf the White, not the Grey.
    Honestly, almost every artist's rendering of Gandalf I have seen is of Gandalf the Grey. He's just known so much better that way. Perhaps because more people have read The Hobbit than the trilogy. I did a google image search for 'gandalf painting' and most of the images are of Mythrandir.

Zooming in on the figure, the robes are on the blue end of grey or grey end of blue... so it could go either way. Of course, Gandalf is sometimes depicted in blue robes and/or cloak.

I also happened to notice in doing so that the brown haired wizard next to him has something reddish on the front of his/her robes. Maybe a Gryffindor scarf?

Last but not least, the unidentified black-haired tuxedo-wearing 'mancer seems to have white on his face... either a mask (à la Phantom of the Opera) or facepaint... does that ring any bells for anyone?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Honestly, almost every artist's rendering of Gandalf I have seen is of Gandalf the Grey. He's just known so much better that way. Perhaps because more people have read The Hobbit than the trilogy. I did a google image search for 'gandalf painting' and most of the images are of Mythrandir.

Zooming in on the figure, the robes are on the blue end of grey or grey end of blue... so it could go either way. Of course, Gandalf is sometimes depicted in blue robes and/or cloak.

I also happened to notice in doing so that the brown haired wizard next to him has something reddish on the front of his/her robes. Maybe a Gryffindor scarf?

Last but not least, the unidentified black-haired tuxedo-wearing 'mancer seems to have white on his face... either a mask (à la Phantom of the Opera) or facepaint... does that ring any bells for anyone?
    Those robes are too blue to be Gandalf. Ignoring the hat being wrong and him using a wand instead of the requisite staff.

#2 is undoubtedly Hermione, as has been mentioned many times already..

I stand by #3 being Lance Burton, at least until I hear a better hypothesis. I don't think his face is white, I think it's the natural skin tone that looks lighter because of the pink shadow of his neck.

20. - Top - End - #230

EvilClericGuy

Did have a thought. It could be Willow from Buffy. (Her hair colour varied from blonde through brown to red.) Hair length is right, too. And she wore that kind of robe in her darker period (when her hair darkened, too).
    When did Willow use a wand?
    Hello world. . .

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    If you're gonna post a video of Shatner 'singing', why not go for the real deal? These are from the 70's.

Sinatra's "It Was a Very Good Year"
    Elton John's "Rocketman"
    LOL! It's not quite Shockamancy. Barfamancy?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    So who is Bunny based on? The third thinkamancer you have forgotten.
    How about the inventor of the Bunsen Burner for the triplex pun and the win?
    Last edited by Imgran; 2009-04-12 at 08:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shamelessmerc View Post

so...

RANDcorp
    Ayn Rand - Galts Gulch
    James Randi
    RANDom unit of currency
    Rand Holmes also seems to be a likely source:

24. - Top - End - #234

MonkGuy

His staff is in the shop for its 20,000 spell overhaul.

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    When did Willow use a wand?
    When did Orko?
    When did Carl Sagan?
    When did Jeannie?

26. - Top - End - #236

PirateGuy

When did Orko?
    "Orko" is clearly wielding a staff, not a wand.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    "Orko" is clearly wielding a staff, not a wand.
    When did Orko wield a staff?

28. - Top - End - #238

PirateGuy

Personally I side with the camp that says that Parson Gotti, the Lord Hamster, is in fact a hippiemancer. I think signamancy is the best bet for his hippiemancy angle.

There's actually extreme tactical advantages to be gained by good use of a skillset that basically allows you an advantage in picking the fights and giving the enemy battle largely on your terms. Parson would catch on to that advantage pretty quickly. A combination of Signamancy with the Mathamancy device might even be as effective as Luckamancy,

29. - Top - End - #239

PirateGuy

When did Orko wield a staff?
    I dunno. But I do know that Gandalf definitely would NOT be using a wand -- either a staff or a sword for that particular wizard.

That leaves Merlin and Dumbledore. Take yer pick, there's no real way of choosing the one or the other.

Also, whoever said that Dumbledore would be a Hippiemancer... is kinda ignoring that there's 1 already present. Besides, if ever there was a Clevermancer it's Dumbledore.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2009-04-12 at 09:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

I still think that makes more sense as a wizard stereotype, usually identified with Merlin.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper