Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Carl Sagan?

It's Neils Bohr.
    "No Charge."
    Ha-Ha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model

--
    The princess looks like Peach from Mario... But possibly it's more likely she's a character from Legend of Zelda... I do not know which, but she looks vaguely familiar. Although Jeannie is probably a better guess than all of the above.
    *Edit. Actually she really looks like the Everquest box art lady. I believe someone mentioned that earlier... ...
    Last edited by DarkCloud; 2009-04-12 at 10:44 PM.
    Kalen the Kobold Paladin by Sneak ; Avatar by Shirwill Jack. (Thanks!)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Carl Sagan?

It's Neils Bohr.
    "No Charge."
    Ha-Ha.
    Heh, good joke.

Too bad he looks nothing like Niels Bohr

Sagan clearly has the nucleus wand because he uses the power of SCIENCE!

Remember kids: "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!"

EDIT: You kids and your Everquests - hasn't anyone watched "I Dream of Jeannie" here? *shakes cane*
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-04-12 at 10:50 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    EDIT: You kids and your Everquests - hasn't anyone watched "I Dream of Jeannie" here? *shakes cane*
    They're all pups, OH. You might as well be speaking in porper, non-Internet English.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    Also, whoever said that Dumbledore would be a Hippiemancer... is kinda ignoring that there's 1 already present. Besides, if ever there was a Clevermancer it's Dumbledore.
    That was just assuming that the 8 mages in the circle were representations of the 8 classes of magic.
    I would also call Hermione a cleverer clevermancer than Dumbledore could ever be.
    Dumbledore was undoubtedly powerful and intelligent, but Hermione was the cleverest witch in the series.

*sigh* ... I'm such a nerd.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am kinda wondering when the "Battle of Gobwin Knob" chapter will officially end. I guess we still need Stanely to see the city in ruins.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welf von Ehrwal View Post
    Unlikely. What profit could they have? These guys are contract worker and have a reputation to lose. And they probably wouldn't be too happy if a hippiemancer shows off and screws around their work.
    Even if this was some complex cabal by the magic kingdom itself, it was some really overcomplicated stuff. And badly executed. If they wanted the spell to work, they wouldn't have made an distinction between the spell itself and and the casting and only offered a packet. And lowered the price massively.
    I agree, the idea of the hippiemancers messing up with the spell is weird. Also, remember that it was Wanda who performed it? It was Stanley's last minute demandas that made the spell choose Parson. Also, I guess that like in most worlds, in Erfworld you get your aptitudes based on personality. Which would make Parson being a hippiemancer funny.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    When did Jeannie?
    Take another look. The glowing part of her "wand" is clearly shaped like a genie bottle. It's obviously her.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Yep, them young wippersnappers don't watch the TV anymore. c'ept that noisy MTV thing these days.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

For #3 from the left, another option I don't think has been mentioned is David Copperfield.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yep, them young wippersnappers don't watch the TV anymore. c'ept that noisy MTV thing these days.
    Bah. The youth of today, spending all day texting or whatever they do. Cannot even spell "whippersnapper" right.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

11. - Top - End - #251

My guess is that Sizemore has been all over the Magic Island trying to learn everything he can about all the other magics. While he does not appear to be competent in anything outside of dirtamancy (where he rocks) he does know a lot about the other schools of magic. That was definitely valuable to Parson, especially early on.

12. - Top - End - #252

PirateGuy

While he does not appear to be competent in anything outside of dirtamancy (where he rocks)
    booooooooooooooooooo

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

confused Re: Erfworld 153 - tBfGK - 140

Maybe the casters only want everyone to believe that only spellcasters can come through the portals. Maybe it's a lie that's been repeated over and over in order to protect the Magic Kingdom, and that the other casters have sworn to uphold (by killing anyone who attempts to get through the portal). The Hippiemancer might have to lie to save Parson's life, which she may do both out of a sense of wanting to preserve life and also (perhaps) out of a sense of duty to a fellow who doesn't really belong in Erfworld.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Imgran View Post
    booooooooooooooooooo

On a more serious note, the deaths of Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (god/s bless their souls) shows that the roleplayer game community is coming full circle. We have lots of gamers around the age of fifty (like me) from the early days, and younger, but very few in their sixties and seventies like Gygax and Arneson were (RIP). I guess in twenty years, we will have significant numbers in all age groups.

Sigh. Death sucks, but it's good to see young people still getting into role gaming.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memoryhole View Post
    Maybe the casters only want everyone to believe that only spellcasters can come through the portals. Maybe it's a lie that's been repeated over and over in order to protect the Magic Kingdom, and that the other casters have sworn to uphold (by killing anyone who attempts to get through the portal). The Hippiemancer might have to lie to save Parson's life, which she may do both out of a sense of wanting to preserve life and also (perhaps) out of a sense of duty to a fellow who doesn't really belong in Erfworld.
    Well, they are casters. They simply can develop a spell that autokills every non caster. Every caster can recognize the type of an unit, so it shouldn't be a problem to create a spell-trap that only is activated by non-casters. And if it's a problem, well the magic kingdom is the place to solve that problem. The guys who made an search&summon spell that can find the perfect warlord anywhere in the universe should be able to do that.
    or, more simpler, develop a portalspell that is only usable for casters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by greywords View Post
    For #3 from the left, another option I don't think has been mentioned is David Copperfield.
    Hmm... maybe. His hair is a bit poofier, but the hairstyle is close.

...I guess the Stage Magician is just in a bad position for identification purposes. We wouldn't have gotten Carl Sagan except that he faced us directly, later.

Maybe we'll get a better shot in the next couple of pages.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, this just got weird(er).
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    My question is how did all those casters manage to get around the portal so quickly? I mean, it wasn't that long between the trimancer going through and Parson following.
    I'd say that Portal Park is a very busy place, and the appearance of linked casters followed by an unscannable/unlabeled giant, odd-looking unit with a helm and sword would quickly attract a crowd. Plus, we see the scene in the middle of Parson defending himself, so the standoff might have been going on for a few minutes already.

The Magic Kingdom: how it was created would depend on what was there originally, i.e. what did the Titans do to it. Even if it wasn't originally a caster conclave, it's not hard to guess that caster's could talk to each other, feel the need for a university *** transportation center *** agora.

Rands could just be a currency based on magical labor: casters use it to pay each other. It could have initially been based on "one hour's work," for example, but the relatively caster/spell S&D would affect move it away from that as would plain negotiations.

The tuxedo magician is likely based on generic stage illusionists or mentalists. (Too bad they didn't add a cape or top hat, as I'd love to see Mandrake the Magician make an appearance). To use three characters from the Harry Potter universe is the sort of trendiness or laziness that I would expect from the writer. There's no question in my mind about Jeannie or Dr. Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Junkie View Post
    If there are only one million rands in the whole world and they can only be traded, not created or destroyed, that would make 50 rands quite an attractive offer.
    Only 8 rands for magic training, too.
    She's a hippymancer, so she'd ask little for a single interrupted session. (Her staff appears to be a peace symbol with wings.)

Snakes are often associated with magic and hidden knowledge in myth and folklore and not just with medicine or with the garden of Eden.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2009-04-13 at 12:56 PM.
    Quo vadis?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Total Noob posting! Glad to see lots of fans! Everything I'll post actually does have to do with the recent page with Spock and Janis.

1. If Parson is a summoned being (rules not yet known to us), then maybe he lives because Stanley (or Wanda, the caster) are alive. I always thought he couldn't see stats because he IS a spell.

2. Janis seems to know Parson, or at least of him. Calling him a hippiemancer seems like a ruse with the "guard him anyway", but who would harm a hippie? (Except Cartman). This means that we have to look at what Sizemore was learning from Janis early on, and the relation. Wanda bought the "summon perfect warlord" spell, and let Sizemore TOUCH it. He asks what kind of magic is it, Fate? She says "Yours. Mine. Ours.". What did Sizemore do? The world is a big conglomeration of Parson's real-to-erf interpretations. If he doesn't eat marbits, do they exist? Maybe Parson does control fate. Can he end war if he thinks it's possible?

3. Parson never actually kills directly....
    EDIT - Glome is correct in the next post, Parson does indeed 'hack' the head off the weiner-rammer. I missed the detail, and given what the very first sentence of the entire Erfworld comic is, I should be more careful.

4. I will post my thoughts about Charlie elsewhere, but I don't think he or the archons will show up in portal park because I'm not sure he has a body. I think, therefore...
    Last edited by Loungeboy; 2009-04-13 at 03:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Loungeboy View Post

2. Janis seems to know Parson, or at least of him. Calling him a hippiemancer seems like a ruse with the "guard him anyway", but who would harm a hippie? (Except Cartman).
    I'm pretty sure the guard is there to protect the inhabitants of the magic kingdom from a giant in battle gear with unknown stats who may be a little pissed that he was knocked unconscious by Leonard Nimoy. Being a hippiemancer doesn't preclude Parson from killing people, as we well saw in the battle of Gobwin Knob. In fact given the militaristic nature of Erfworld, even peace and hippiemancing is probably considered a weapon of war.

3. Parson never actually kills directly, only through orders. Maggie and Sizemore protect him. I disagree with the philisophical aspect, but maybe the technical distinction will matter later.
    He did kill the wiener-rammer pretty directly. Although the fact that Parson was a warlord who fought thousands of battle but who didn't kill anything larger than a spider before being summoned might be why Erfworld made him a hippiemancer when the spell was cast.
    Last edited by Glome; 2009-04-13 at 03:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I am kinda wondering when the "Battle of Gobwin Knob" chapter will officially end. I guess we still need Stanely to see the city in ruins.
    When Stanley enters Efdup the story will have come full circle. So probably next page is the end of book 1.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan View Post
    Rands could just be a currency based on magical labor: casters use it to pay each other. It could have initially been based on "one hour's work," for example, but the relatively caster/spell S&D would affect move it away from that as would plain negotiations.
    This doesn't match with Sizemore paying 20 rands when he didn't expect to see Janis ever again. So Rand can't be a unit of credit currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Loungeboy View Post

3. Parson never actually kills directly, only through orders. Maggie and Sizemore protect him. I disagree with the philisophical aspect, but maybe the technical distinction will matter later.

Parson has killed directly. Quern
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

22. - Top - End - #262

And why is Spock/Nimoy kinda 2D in panel 6? Looks to me like he is either an ilusion or an effect. Could Janis had Cast him? She was guiding him in the beginning....

And on my thinkmancers dream team I would love to see Cardini and Dr. Feynman, maybe caring an magical bongo
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

23. - Top - End - #263
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is my two cents. Because I have nothing better to do than through pennies at the forums...

I really like the idea that all references in Erfworld are from the 20th century or sooner. Things that have come from television, movies, and internet seem to be the most common references though high profile individuals (KISS, Marlon Brando, Margaret Thatcher, Elvis, Michael Jackson) have also been included.

So where am I going with this? All mages in todays comic are references to 20th century people or characters. As for arguing exactly who they are, I will leave that up to ya'll. But I will say that Gandalf without a staff is about as likely as referencing two characters from the same mythos.

As for the Rand reference, I kinda like them all. I wouldn't be surprised if the authors thought of one of the references and liked it. Then they realized how many references it actually fit. But I imagine that you are all trying to figure out the original references which I think any of us would be hard pressed to do.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

Bingo. Ayn Rand. I thought most everyone thought of her regarding the Rand as a form of currency. In Atlas Shrugged, governments decide to steal or take away the enterprises and inventions of the brightest and most talented... so the brightest and talented hide away from the world in a refuge. The world starts going to hell and they wait for the time in which the world will be ready for them to return.

Atlas was a Titan, BTW.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

Another thought on the "but guard him anyway" is that Parson may really be a hippiemancer. However, the "ruthlessness" bestowed upon him by the sword et.al. may overcome his natural inclinations and so he's now a danger to others (and himself) so needs to be watched until they can unwind that. We never saw him kill directly until he had the whole ruthlessness thing, right?

EDIT: Parson's klog seems to back this up- he doesn't quite understand why he doesn't feel horrible. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0129.html
    Last edited by greywords; 2009-04-14 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Adding link to specific comic reference

26. - Top - End - #266

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kreistor View Post
    When did Orko?
    When did Carl Sagan?
    When did Jeannie?
    Orko is using a staff. His action figure comes with one.
    Carl Sagan is using a scientific instrument that resembles a wand.
    Jeannie is using her bottle. look at its shape.
    Hello world. . .

27. - Top - End - #267

Parson an hippiemancer? it's less likely than you think.

He'd fit better in Clevermancy IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    You're kidding, right? This is the comic where one of the main characters worships his own hand puppet

28. - Top - End - #268

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by chefsotero View Post
    And why is Spock/Nimoy kinda 2D in panel 6?
    Because he's a flat, 2-dimensional character?

"That is not logical. Logical. Lo-lo-lo-logical. (Gaah, I feel like a rap song or something).

Seriously, Spock shows no real character growth before being introduced to poker. "In chess, when one is outmaneuvered, checkmate". "Not chess, poker".

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by ishnar View Post
    This doesn't match with Sizemore paying 20 rands when he didn't expect to see Janis ever again. So Rand can't be a unit of credit currency.
    I don't suggest that there is no such physical currency as a Rand, merely that it might be based on magical labor as most modern currencies were backed by precious metals.
    Quo vadis?

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Because he's a flat, 2-dimensional character?

"That is not logical. Logical. Lo-lo-lo-logical. (Gaah, I feel like a rap song or something).

Seriously, Spock shows no real character growth before being introduced to poker. "In chess, when one is outmaneuvered, checkmate". "Not chess, poker".
    Well but then why he is only 2D after he is done with the FSNP?

U may be right but i wouldn't bet my money on this theory

EDIT: Jamie is a very fine artist and I don't belive panel 6 is a booper. My money is on the 2D effect is intentional, now what intention.....
    Last edited by chefsotero; 2009-04-13 at 06:37 PM.
    *remember, english is not my mother language, heck, it's not even my aunt language, well maybe my 3rd degree cousin language

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams