New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default I need a plus 2 template (3.5)

i need a plus 2 template for a monk, that can be combined with githzerai. I am currently considering half fey, as weird as that is, but am looking for something a little better. thanks in advance
    Magius, Scion of Imperius, Defender of Midpoint, commander of the Emerald Army, Banner General of the Army of the Silver Kingdom, Heir apparent to House Rathis, Master of the Tower of Dusk, Personal Guard to the royal family of Argentum, master of the Raikami

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    "Players should not be afraid of their DM's, DM's should be afraid of their players"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I need a plus 2 template (3.5)

How about Dark (the Lords of Madness version)? It can make you go crazy fast, among other things.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

what template is dark? it is in LoM?
    Magius, Scion of Imperius, Defender of Midpoint, commander of the Emerald Army, Banner General of the Army of the Silver Kingdom, Heir apparent to House Rathis, Master of the Tower of Dusk, Personal Guard to the royal family of Argentum, master of the Raikami

"Players should not be afraid of their DM's, DM's should be afraid of their players"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Dark is in Tome of Magic and is +1. Shadow is in Lords of Madness (pg 167-168) Both are good. Shadow is REALLY good.

I love Gravetouched Ghoul (Libris Mortis, the Book of Bad Latin) as a +2 template. It has good all around ability buffs, the Undead subtype, natural weapons, and a ZOMGTASTIC paralysis attack that is based off your Cha. Great for any high Cha character like a Hexblade or evil Pally variant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Dark is in Tome of Magic and is +1. Shadow is in Lords of Madness (pg 167-168) Both are good. Shadow is REALLY good.
    Shadow, that's the one I was thinking of. My mistake.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So far as I know, there are five templates which are generally considered to be worth their LA:
    Dark (Tome of Magic): Huge stealth bonuses, including Hide in Plain Sight, for 1 LA.
    Feral (Savage Species): Fast healing and natural attacks, among other benefits, for 1 LA.
    Mineral Warrior (Races of Stone): DR/adamantium and a big Con boost, among other benefits, for 1 LA
    Half-Minotaur (Dragon issue 313): Large size and insane stat boosts, for 1 LA. This is generally suspected to be in error.
    Phrenic (Expanded Psionics Handbook): Power resistance and a bunch of psi-like abilities that scale with level, for 2 LA.

Shadow probably would be worth it, but Dark gives you close to the same benefits for half the price. And Phrenic unfortunately can't be added to a creature that's already psionic, so Githzerai is out.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd consider Gravetouched Ghoul as one too, seeing as how it's possibly the best template for making sentient undead ever.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Saint? In book of exalted deeds? Unless you don't like the whole lawful stupid bit. But your dm might relax it a weeeeeee bit.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DownwardSpiral View Post
    Saint? In book of exalted deeds? Unless you don't like the whole lawful stupid bit. But your dm might relax it a weeeeeee bit.
    Probably the strongest +2 template ever printed. Restrictions ("must never ever ever have done anything evil ever") are rather harsh. Still, it's omg-good.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Probably the strongest +2 template ever printed. Restrictions ("must never ever ever have done anything evil ever") are rather harsh. Still, it's omg-good.
    Eh, not really. There's ways of breaking it, but generally you get similar benefits from class levels, plus, you know, HP.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Eh, not really. There's ways of breaking it, but generally you get similar benefits from class levels, plus, you know, HP.
    True. Although not a lot beats it. But yeah, you could get more from class levels. Although he asked for a +2 template so eh. =D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

DM just nixed saint. perhaps more background information is necessary. He is running a game in which all characters must have a plus 4 level adjustment, and a total level of 11. there are 7 or 8 players, so core should be covered. i want something interesting, not just a half celestial. I started with half fae githzerai for the plus 8 to dex, but most of the fae abilities are overcome by the class i chose (monk). Any suggestions?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

From Chronos,
    Half-Minotaur (Dragon issue 313): Large size and insane stat boosts, for 1 LA. This is generally suspected to be in error
    I'd suggest this. Seems you should be alright not taking hits, considering there should be 7 other people. Might need a bit of help in the damage department I assume?

Also.....half fey half minotaur. You cannot unsee.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It'll definitely be said again, but are you completely set on the monk as a class? It honestly is a very weak class, and its archtype as the unarmed kung-fu master warrior is done better by both the Psychic Warrior and the Swordsage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I say go for Feral. Great wisdom boost, good strength boost, natural weapons, scaling abilities, lots of extra jazz. if you add Dark onto that from Tome of Magic, you have a superfast superstrong monk who might actually turn out to be useful.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

But if you're part fey, you can unseelie.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow Creature is exceptionally good, though you may want to go with two +1 LA templates instead. Mineral Warrior is just amazing, considering the DR, burrow speed, and natural armor bonus, which help offset the slight Wisdom penalty. Other strong +1 LA templates include Draconic from the Draconomicon, Blooded and Shadow-Walker from Unapproachable East, and Feral from Savage Species.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I have always really liked the winged template for my monks (Savage Species).

Your fly speed is your land speed +20, so your monk gets even faster, your manoeuverability is perfect (if not, you're doing something wrong with your stats), so you can hover in the air while flurrying, and you get +4 dex and +2 wis.

I know, not the most "OMG-über!" +2 LA template, but definitely nice.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I prefer insectile myself. For +2 LA you get Four extra arms, tremorsense, all-around vision, darkvision, the aberration type, a climb speed and the same ability score adjustments as winged (that is, +4 Dex and +2 Wis).

I think this one would be cool on a monk.

Having six arms can be all sorts of twisted.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #20

SolithKnightGuy

Theres a template called shade from forgotten realms that has two listings.

One of them is in the main book, and the other is in races of faerun or some such. One lists it as +2 and all it's powers only work in the dark. The other lists it as +4 but lists no restrictions.

It gets:
    SR
    Small stat boosts
    Shadow Jump 300 ft/2 rounds @ level 8
    Invisibility at will
    Light control w/in 100 ft.
    Bonus to speed
    +4 deflection AC
    +2 to hit and damage
    Fast healing
    Shadow image 3x day (mirror image)
    Teleport or planeshift 1/day @ level 12
    +4 luck to all saves

As I said most, if not all only work in the shadows if you go by the rules from the main faerun book, and it's listed as LA+2

Forgotten Realms campaign setting page 314

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Another nifty +1 template is Lolth Touched from MM4 I. Nets you immunity to fear (always sexy) and +6 to STR and +6 to CON (helps your MAD).

Although if you want to pile on the crazy, you could go Half-Giant (+1 LA) for psionic power points and go psychic warrior as was mentioned above. You even get Powerful build out of it. A Dark Feral Lolthtouched Halfgiant Psychic warrior would be scary.

Or go Dark (+1 Tome of Magic) Feral (+1) Lolthtouched (+1) Chameleon (+1 Underdark) Whispergnome (+0 Races of Stone) unarmed swordsage (Tome of Battle) and NOBODY WOULD EVER SEE YOU! Thats at least a +30 bonus to hide at level 1 (+4 from small, +4 from Whispergnome, +8 from Dark, +10 from Chameleon, +4 from Lolthtouched). From Feral and Dark you'd increase your speed. Needless to say, go shadowhand. I think the ninja like stuff you could pull would make up for the decrease damage of your small gnomish hands. Use a ki channeling weapon anyway.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Feral Mineral Warrior Anything Monk2/PsyWarX with Monastic Training and Tashalatora (from Secrets of Sarlona) would be freakin amazing. Yea, the wisdom hit would suck, but you could make it up with the other +2 LA you have coming. The claws you get + Claws of the Beast augmented + Vampiric Claws + Expansion...RAWR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Half vampire from Libris Mortis is meh, unless you're evil. Then take blood-drain and it's better.
    But you can't be an outsider (which should exclude tieflings, genasi, etc).
    There's several versions of half-ogre floating around that you might want to look at.
    Feral is ungodly powerful I think.
    The elemental templates from I think it's Manual of the Planes (Earth, fire wind water, wood, shadow) are all +1 or +2.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbeartrap View Post
    Another nifty +1 template is Lolth Touched from MM4 I. Nets you immunity to fear (always sexy) and +6 to STR and +6 to CON (helps your MAD).

Only you can't apply it to a monk, as you apply it to any non-good non-lawful creature, and it becomes CE.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

White Dragonspawn from the Dragonlance setting is good for anything, +1LA for wings, cold immunity, breath weapon, minor stat boosts, +7 Nat Armour and a exploding death rattle, you wind up mindbound to a big bad dragon but that can be fun too. Oh, and a level of Sorc casting which is damn useful for a monk.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

I personally no longer allow feral in my campaigns. I did away with that book completely as I'm fairly certain it was considered a 3.0 book. Isn't that why it doesn't add up to MM entries, and it still uses the old methodology for DR?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DownwardSpiral View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry. Now accepting therapy bills.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    I personally no longer allow feral in my campaigns. I did away with that book completely as I'm fairly certain it was considered a 3.0 book. Isn't that why it doesn't add up to MM entries, and it still uses the old methodology for DR?
    Yeah, Savage Species is 3.0. Feral is also "broken" in the sense that the bonuses are way too high for +1 LA for melee characters (and obviously useless to casters) - I've run a Feral character in my game before, but I cut most bonuses in half and that didn't hurt him at all.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    Not to say that you're necessarily wrong for banning it, but by RAW at least, 3.0 materials are still valid unless they were updated in a later book.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Half vampire from Libris Mortis is meh, unless you're evil. Then take blood-drain and it's better.
    But you can't be an outsider (which should exclude tieflings, genasi, etc).
    There's several versions of half-ogre floating around that you might want to look at.
    Feral is ungodly powerful I think.
    The elemental templates from I think it's Manual of the Planes (Earth, fire wind water, wood, shadow) are all +1 or +2.
    No. They adjust CR by +1 or +2.

The elemental creature templates in the manual of the planes do not list Level Adjustment, but they were reprinted in the Planar Handbook somewhere else (just checked the planar handbook and didn't find them), and there they have level adjustments that go from +2 (Wood) to +5 (Air), most are +4.
    Last edited by Draken; 2009-04-14 at 09:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing