New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default "Britain's Got Talent" Phenom: Susan Boyle

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Over 1.5 million views in less than 2 days, and when you see it (and the way Simon Cowell's jaw drops), you'll understand why.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: "Britain's Got Talent" Phenom: Susan Boyle

oh no........first "americas got talent" now this.

thats it.....this is proof that most people in the world are idiots, pretty soon it will be France's got talent, then Germany then "Czechoslovakia's got talent", eventually it will be "China's Got talent" and "India's got talent"

soon there will be "Italian Idol", "Russian Idol" and "Mongolian Idol"

heck, why not "Australia's got talent"? or "Australian Idol"?

why not just cut corners and make one big show called "Earth's got talent" and
    "Human Idol"? it will be the crowning achievement of human stupidity in tv.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You either didn't watch, and missed something special, or you did watch and have a heart of coal.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trizap View Post

thats it.....this is proof that most people in the world are idiots, pretty soon it will be France's got talent, then Germany then "Czechoslovakia's got talent", eventually it will be "China's Got talent" and "India's got talent"

I donīt know how to break this to you, but... most of those shows already exist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

You know what's also proof of the fact that there are many idiots in this world? People who still think that Czechoslovakia is still a country, despite the fact that it hasn't existed since 1993.
    Awesome avatar by Threeshades. And the funny sig by sparkey477
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
    You know what's also proof of the fact that there are many idiots in this world? People who still think that Czechoslovakia is still a country, despite the fact that it hasn't existed since 1993.
    First off...PWN'D!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    You either didn't watch, and missed something special, or you did watch and have a heart of coal.
    Secondly, it would appear that he didn't watch that. Because no one can watch that video and then bitch about those shows, completely ignoring her performance.

BUT, that's completely off-topic anyway.

So...that video was AMAZING.

Seriously. It may be soppy and sentimental to say it, but that was truly inspirational. It legitimately touched me.

(Bet that girl rolling her eyes in the beginning of the video is getting lots of hate mail right about now. )
    Last edited by Sneak; 2009-04-13 at 10:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Of those I'm pretty sure the German and French versions already exist, and I know the Australian ones have been around for a while.

Also, I think The World's Got Talent (or something similar anyway) exists, but it's a clip show of the "highlights" from the different versions.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

You know, I'm pretty sure Britain's Got Talent came BEFORE America's Got Talent.

But why don't we get this thread BACK on topic since it's derailed so much.

I was floored by this video. And I should know better. If not because of Paul Potts because I have experience in the performance field and I KNOW better than to judge a book by its cover.

But you couldn't help it could you? No one expected her to be just ... wow so good. While she shows signs of needing further training, she has an incredible talent and an ability to hide her accent altogether.

I hope she never has to claim 'unemployed' again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by canterrain View Post
    I was floored by this video. And I should know better. If not because of Paul Potts because I have experience in the performance field and I KNOW better than to judge a book by its cover.

But you couldn't help it could you? No one expected her to be just ... wow so good. While she shows signs of needing further training, she has an incredible talent and an ability to hide her accent altogether.

I hope she never has to claim 'unemployed' again.
    Exactly. Given that the reason this vid gets passed along is because she's good, there's still that moment where you can't believe her voice. I was expecting more of the stereotypical "opera" or perhaps a "big mama" bluesy style, and boy were my prejudices slapped upside the head.

There are times when you have to lock away the inner cynic and just absorb the moment for what it is. This was a triumph for the ages.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Both Australian Idol and Australia's got talent (under the name of X-Factor) exist, sorry to break it to ya :P

But, on topic...Wow...Simply wow. Wasn't expecting that even though it seemed obvious she would be good...I'm surprised that she'd gone unnoticed in the music industry with a voice like that...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heads_or_Tails View Post
    Of those I'm pretty sure the German and French versions already exist, and I know the Australian ones have been around for a while.

Also, I think The World's Got Talent (or something similar anyway) exists, but it's a clip show of the "highlights" from the different versions.
    A Norwegian version has existed a while, and I refuse to believe that we are the cutting edge of plagiarism.

If we have it, I think it is safe that almost every nation in the western world (and probably many more) has it.

I'll listen to the clip later. Work's a-calling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by canterrain View Post
    You know, I'm pretty sure Britain's Got Talent came BEFORE America's Got Talent
    It did. One of those things America steels, then assumes it was the creator of.

Like "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" Or Hugh Laurie. (My American relatives didn't believe me when I told them he was English)

As to the performance, my views are simple.

... :)

That is all. Carry on.
    Last edited by Someone Else; 2009-04-14 at 03:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I watched this on TV as it happened. It's a classic example of "Don't judge a book by its cover". She's a brilliant singer, and you wouldn't think it from listening to her speaking voice.

Also from BGT, there was the guy attempting to break the world record for Ferraro Roche's consumed in one minute (currently seven), and managed to get four. What was funny about this was:

1. He never got higher than six in his previous attempts.
    2. Ant had a go at it at the same time, and managed to get five.

"They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Good clip.
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember seeing this whilst flicking through the channels. Her comment about her age made me cringe and I couldn't watch her make a fool of herself. Then she started singing and she was actually good. You should watch the other clips from Flawless - a dancing group, Fabia - a revealing dancer, and the general recap.

16. - Top - End - #16

Staged.

Seriously, you think anyone who's involved with making that crappy show was surprised? Not to take anything anyway from the woman- she's got a good voice- but I'm not buying that the judge's reactions were genuine- unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBST View Post
    ...unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.
    ((Note that I am aware of your location line.))

You do realize they're British, right? They cannot not behave like terrible actors.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2009-04-14 at 07:46 AM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Head View Post
    you called me an idiot.

unforgivable.

as for everyone else:

what the HELL!? they already EXIST!? gods above, human stupidity really knows no boundaries, including people that think that because I lack some obscure piece of knowledge no one else really knows, such as a country not existing, makes me stupid.

19. - Top - End - #19

what the HELL!? they already EXIST!? gods above, human stupidity really knows no boundaries,
    That is true, it just very old news, just as the copying of reality shows and game shows are incredibly old news.

including people that think that because I lack some obscure piece of knowledge no one else really knows, such as a country not existing, makes me stupid.
    That information is hardly obscure. And while not knowing it does not make you stupid, it did make you seem arrogant, condascending, and ignorant in the same post, which is a quite unflattering combination, hence the backlash.

Me and you and everyone we know makes mistakes. It's really no biggie.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I've seen this on Britain's Got talent before... Different guy, Different song, Same Scenario. The Crowd was laughing at thi guy, even more than Susan Boyle, and then he literally brought simon to tears with his Opera... He was a used car salesman that was recently layed off... and He sang Opera tied with anyone that I've ever heard... .

Sadly this doesn't happen on America's Got Talent... It's to filled with the 6 year olds that can shallow their feet, and the gymnasts that can touch the back of their spine with their heads, or the Curtain Dancers... .
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I emailed the video to my family members. That's pretty amazing.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheBST View Post
    Staged.

Seriously, you think anyone who's involved with making that crappy show was surprised? Not to take anything anyway from the woman- she's got a good voice- but I'm not buying that the judge's reactions were genuine- unless in real life they behave like terrible actors.
    The producers knew how good she was, sure, there are auditions to get this far after all, and I'm sure the 2 backstage blokes were anticipating just this kind of reaction, so they knew she had this potential, but there's no reason to let the judges in on the secret. And even if they were, the audience reaction mirrored their "act" perfectly.

I mean it when I say there's a time to NOT be cynical, because it's a very sad thing to not be able to enjoy moments like this for what they are.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Agreed, people these days can be way too cynical about stuff like this, which is a shame.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Locked for review.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex