New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Default Family Guy Discussion Thread

What are everyone's thoughts regarding Family Guy?

Is it

1. the shining future for scripted television comedies/animated shows with exciting stories, hilarious moments, empathic characters and clever social commentary that is the future television and of humor itself?

or....

2. Is it an overrated sludgepile of disjointed and cliche comedic gags stapled onto a contrived storyline into a sputtering, IQ-reducing and sleep-inducing 22 minutes?

or maybe somewhere in-between all that?

Personally, I thought the first 3 seasons before it's cancellation were brilliant. The humor relied less on non-sequiturs and "Goes on for so long it's funny" gags and more on cut-aways that were either directly, or closely related to what was happening in the story.

After their renewal, they had what every canceled TV show dreams of: a fanbase that was so loyal, so numerous and so dedicated to the series, that it RESURRECTED THE SHOW FROM THE DEAD
    and what'd they do?
    they gave their fans what they thought they desired...
    and in my opinion at least, it turned the series into the 2nd description above.

I cite Family Guy as precedent for my arguments that sometimes (though not always) a show's best option is to go out in a blaze of cancellation glory, leaving it's fanbase mildly disappointed, but at the same time hopeful in the anticipation for new content staring their beloved characters...*cough* *cough* FUTURAMA *cough* *cough*
    Dave(DM):"Okay. Now for Isidro: Since you're trying to be sneaky, Cam, make a Stealth check."
    Cam(Rolls a Stealth check for Isidro): "I got a 22"
    Dave(DM): "Isidro is pretty stealthy"
    -4E PHB

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Family Guy Discussion Thread

I predict that this thread will devolve into a flame war within 10 posts. that said, I like Family Guy well enough, but its not one of my favorites. I prefer the first three seasons, but I don't think the new seasons are terrible.

Bottom line is, it's just a cartoon.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the first three seasons are good with the fourth and fifth being okay but not great and the newer ones are much funnier but it's in a complete different way, either way I enjoy the show.
    I've got sixteen demon roaches, but they ate my cookies.
    My new website/blog:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by WinterSolstice View Post

Personally, I thought the first 3 seasons before it's cancellation were brilliant. The humor relied less on non-sequiturs and "Goes on for so long it's funny" gags and more on cut-aways that were either directly, or closely related to what was happening in the story.
    The first couple of seasons really pushed the envelope at the time. I remember episodes where my jaw would just drop.

I don't think the shock value is there anymore and probably people watching those episodes for the first time wouldn't be shocked due to shifts in our culture. For example, The Simpsons was incredibly controversial when it came out. However, if you look back at the first season, you'd wonder what the big deal was about.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I enjoy it, but I'd be between the two options mentioned above.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it. I don't love it. I did for a while.

It's not so much that the show has dropped in quality, as I've found better things to occupy my time with. I still watch it whenever I happen to catch it, but it's not something I go out of my way to see anymore.

But yeah, it's just a show. There's much worse on television. Every now and then they show a burst of brilliance, like Blue Harvest. But for the most part it is better than the recent seasons of Simpsons, but not as good as the older ones.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I love it even if it's only for the cliches XD

it seriously needs more puns though :(

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it. It's not great. But like The Simpsons there actually is some stuff to think about buried in beneath the surface. There's a lot of stupidity, but there's too much actually smart stuff in there to call it dumb.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Can't it be both 1 and 2? 'Cause I know I've had some eps which I really enjoyed, others which I like the first time I saw them, and some real stinkers. Generally speaking I find that putting musical numbers in an episode kills it for me immediately.

The one where Peter becomes a Patriot just died the second he started doing his gawdawful patootie song or whatever the hell it was. Schmoopy? Floozy? Something I just wanted to smack the writers for anyway.

Some of their gags run just a little too long, like they desperately wish they could just come out of the tv and bludgeon the viewer between the eyes with a frozen salmon or something.

But yeah, I like the show well enough, though I'm not a rabid fan.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    The one where Peter becomes a Patriot just died the second he started doing his gawdawful patootie song or whatever the hell it was. Schmoopy? Floozy? Something I just wanted to smack the writers for anyway.
    It's Shipoopi from The Music Man. Seth McFarlane is a musical nut, and includes lots of this sort of thing. It tends to be funny if you get the reference, tedious if you do not.

My favorite was the shot by shot re-creation of "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop of Horrors. I had seen that movie and thought it was hilarious. My brother (a huge FG fan is ever there was one) had not and just wanted it to end.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like the ones with the more obscure, intellectual references.

I also find EVIL!Stewie better than Not-Quite-Ambiguously-Gay-Stewie. Because crazy evil schemes are fun.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Two.

I just don't think it's funny.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mechafox View Post
    I predict that this thread will devolve into a flame war within 10 posts. that said, I like Family Guy well enough, but its not one of my favorites. I prefer the first three seasons, but I don't think the new seasons are terrible.

Bottom line is, it's just a cartoon.
    How many posts has it been so far?

FAmILy GuY IS TEH SUXXORZ!!!11!
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

It's ok. I used to love it back in the day but lately it just doesn't appeal to me as much.

Also...was never a big fan of Stewie. Everyone else seemed to love him but he was just meh for me. Peter was always my favorite followed by Brian.
    I'd like to thank CrimsonAngel for the awesome avatar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scaly View Post
    How many posts has it been so far?

FAmILy GuY IS TEH SUXXORZ!!!11!
    13. You fail!

That was almost as bad as the time that slowpoke guy failed to get the 50 millionth post in his message board.

Anyway, it's... not that bad of a show, but there's a lot of times where the show just... really offends me. But that's political stuff, so I won't get into it here.

However, I think I actually like American Dad a bit more then Family Guy, though it isn't on as often.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    13. You fail!

That was almost as bad as the time that slowpoke guy failed to get the 50 millionth post in his message board.

Anyway, it's... not that bad of a show, but there's a lot of times where the show just... really offends me. But that's political stuff, so I won't get into it here.

However, I think I actually like American Dad a bit more then Family Guy, though it isn't on as often.
    Darn it! XD

Ah well. Anyway, it's probably Peter who singlehandedly ruins the show for me. Ironic actually.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post

It's sad how American Dad has actually become less political than Family Guy.

I agree with most of Seth McFarlane's views, but the anvilicious way in which he presents them in Family Guy make me cringe.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Brian's awesome and the only normal character on the show. Stewie is funny. Peter is a dumb jackass who should be hanged, shot and quartered.

Basically that sums it up... Episodes that are heavy on Brian or Stewie are the first type of episodes. Episodes that are heavy on Peter (with rare exceptions like the one with the car GPS) are two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Episodes that are heavy on Brian or Stewie are the first type of episodes.
    Especially the Brian and Stewie roadtrip episodes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    Especially the Brian and Stewie roadtrip episodes.
    Man, I love those. I'm a sucker for musical numbers.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Brian's awesome and the only normal character on the show. Stewie is funny. Peter is a dumb jackass who should be hanged, shot and quartered.

Basically that sums it up... Episodes that are heavy on Brian or Stewie are the first type of episodes. Episodes that are heavy on Peter (with rare exceptions like the one with the car GPS) are two.
    Yeah. If Seth got rid of two-thirds of the main cast and turned it into The Brian & Stewie Show, it would probably be a lot better received. Still, at least it's not as bad as American Dad; that show reaches Carrot Top levels of unfunny.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I like it almost enough to watch it. I really like the clip on youtube of Stewie beating up Brian over $50, but then it got buried under a bunch of 50 Cent music videos and now I can't find it. Very annoying.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an okay show, Stewie turning gay was sorta lame though, it's not the fact that he's homosexual but he stopped being an evil mastermind, so that failed.

There newer ones are usually not very good. Though the one were Stewie kidnaps the cast of Star Trek was pretty good.
    Spoiler
    Show

Left-Eye by NamonakiRei
    Stick swordsman of the Kyrie fanclub!
    My bro's homebrew class.

How to: Glibness

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

[QUOTE=Blackbird97;6015316]It's an okay show, Stewie turning gay was sorta lame though, it's not the fact that he's homosexual but he stopped being an evil mastermind, so that failed.QUOTE]

He was always homosexual....from the first episode...
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, tonight's episode is the first to ever piss me off.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    He was always homosexual....from the first episode...
    Really? Huh. The early Stewie doesn't show that nearly as much as the later Stewie. Early Stewie's mostly about the evil plans to destroy Lois and Broccoli and Get Joe's Chair, etc.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Really? Huh. The early Stewie doesn't show that nearly as much as the later Stewie. Early Stewie's mostly about the evil plans to destroy Lois and Broccoli and Get Joe's Chair, etc.
    Its there, even in his b-day episode. Its way overplayed as the series goes, but like all jokes from the start thats the case. Like Meg going from the families favorite and Chris being a freak to Meg being hated for -no- reason
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Count me in as one who thinks Family Guy is ok fun, but doesn't like Peter, and thinks the show would be vastly improved w/o him. He gets to me not because he's annoying and stupid, but because he can get away with being stupid and annoying.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like it... I'm not a diehard fan or anything, but I like it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Court sorcerer of House Kato.

Tuna-preparer of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. I didn't.

Magioth made my avatar!

The SECOND member of the fanclub!!!

Sequinox

And the Dark Lord on his Dark Throneitp, where the shadows lie.

30. - Top - End - #30

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Well, tonight's episode is the first to ever piss me off.
    I didn't see it. What was wrong with it?

For the record, the first Family Guy to really offend me was Boys Do Cry, where the message of the episode was basically "Texas sucks."
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.