New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Erfworld 154 - tBfGK - 141

New Comic is Up

I hope Sizemore and Parson can patch things up.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 154 - tBfGK - 141

Awesome fire effect! I usually don't comment on the drawing/graphics, but the fire was superb!!
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting.

It's gotten to the point where after a new erf comes out, I have to read it 4-5 times.

Also, I assume Wanda and Maggie are ok. Good.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2009-04-17 at 10:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting. I wonder why Sizemore thinks Parson is WORSE than the other Warlords? I was under the impression he thought Parson was BETTER than them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why Sizemore thinks Parson is WORSE than the other Warlords? I was under the impression he thought Parson was BETTER than them.
    Because the other warlords didn't really make him do anything?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Also, I assume Wanda and Maggie are ok. Good.
    Isn't that wanda in panel 8?
    Last edited by teratorn; 2009-04-17 at 10:31 PM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, philosophy!

I like Janis' thinking: "When you break the rules, break them good and hard."
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #8

We know Wanda is still around, but Maggie remains MIA.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Erfworld 154 - tBfGK - 141

Hey there... I just registered tonight, after being a lurker/reader for months, simply because I had to post how completely awesome Erfworld is becoming

As to Sizemore: He wants peace, and dislikes killing.

When Parson was using manuever to avoid direct combat, Sizemore liked that. When Parson began having volcanoes detonated to kill thousands, Sizemore hated that.

Janis just let on that "The Perfect Warlord" is probably the best route to lasting peace for Erfworld... by making the continuation of the traditional war so hideously horrible, that it's no longer seen as a desireable passtime by whomever survives whatever Parson does next.

I'm not sure if Sizemore really believes her, but he should. She has the right idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, now.

Suddenly we have another dimension to things--Parson as the potential savior of Erfworld, breaking the world enough to get outside the "natural" laws of Erfworld and end the wars that would otherwise continue forever.

Which explains why the Grand Abbie described him as a Hippymancer.

It also puts Parson in the same position as Thomas Covenant, from The Illearth War series by Stephen Donaldson--savior of a world he may not ever be able to accept as truly real.
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 2009-04-17 at 10:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Because if he breaks things enough, there may be peace in Erfworld after all."

Or, in the immortal words of Joshua from the WarGames novel, "The only winning move is not to play."
    There's a dwarfish saying: "All trees are felled at ground-level" -although this is said to be an excessively bowdlerized translation for a saw which more literally means, "When his hands are higher than your head, his groin is level with your teeth." -Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. I'm not sure whether this page really establishes if Parson is a Hippimancer or not, but it does certainly show, either way, why Janis would have defended him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Janis just let on that "The Perfect Warlord" is probably the best route to lasting peace for Erfworld... by making the continuation of the traditional war so hideously horrible, that it's no longer seen as a desireable passtime by whomever survives whatever Parson does next.
    While a whole M.A.D. thing is one way that could bring "peace", I think it's more likely that the idea is that Janis is hoping Parson breaks things so hard, that it brings about change. Maybe even beyond just simple rules, but break the culture, the ideas of that world.

Parson really isn't one of the bad guys, it's just he's a good strategist. Maybe even the best the game world has ever seen. I mean, he did beat Charlie.

But, maybe most importantly... Parson unlike pretty much every other warlord could actually appreciate the idea of peace. It's probably an utterly alien idea to the world. "Peace, what's that? You mean that gap of time that we spend building up units?" Parson actually values life. And freedom. Values that aren't necessary for "the game".
    Last edited by Xuincherguixe; 2009-04-17 at 11:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

And here I was thinking Erfworld was drawing to a close. Glad to see there's still some future in it, especially given how awesome it's been lately.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Erfworld 154 - tBfGK - 141

Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    While a whole M.A.D. thing is one way that could bring "peace", I think it's more likely that the idea is that Janis is hoping Parson breaks things so hard, that it brings about change. Maybe even beyond just simple rules, but break the culture, the ideas of that world.

Parson really isn't one of the bad guys, it's just he's a good strategist. Maybe even the best the game world has ever seen. I mean, he did beat Charlie.

But, maybe most importantly... Parson unlike pretty much every other warlord could actually appreciate the idea of peace. It's probably an utterly alien idea to the world. "Peace, what's that? You mean that gap of time that we spend building up units?" Parson actually values life. And freedom. Values that aren't necessary for "the game".

I agree with you... Parson will most definately break the culture there. Just like machine-guns on Earth broke the whole culture of dashing cavalry charges, and inbred monarchs declaring war on their cousins over petty squabbles.

As for valueing life and freedom... I don't think Parson does yet, because (a) this is still a game to him, and (b) because he swore to his friends back on Earth that he would give up his entire life and everything he knew... just for the chance to be a real-life Warlord leading battles.

Sizemore is the one who values life and freedom: If given a choice, he'd gladly give up being a caster in Erfworld, in order to work at a Kinko's photocpy place on Earth.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think we're almost to the end of Part One here.

It should take three more panels to tie up loose ends. One where Parson wakes up and talks to Janis about the future, one where Jillian and the TV crowd arrive at Faq and some sort of drama ensues, and finally one of Stanley arriving back at GK and expressing his furious, befuddled anger.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

So Sizemore is more powerful and it is implied their are other ways to level. Cooool... and Wanda live's! There was much rejoicing. And I wonder if Parson is a hippie.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I do like this particular strip because it shows that sizemore understands that he's committed atrocities, not only killed (which is something he has avoided due to stanley's poor management, though I assume his golems broke a good number of faces) and that the hippymancer is as correct as she can be since without destroying the idea of conventional warfare on Erf, peace cannot be attained.

But she's tasked Sizemore with a very difficult task, to make sure parson not only WINS, but maintains his "outsideness" the feeling that war is unnessacary and that free will and life are things to be valued, while maintaining his status as a valuable asset in his arsenal.

and apparently the link didn't gain them any XP, since sizemore only leveled twice in battle (the same amount as bogroll did when he took down ansom) so either he's a VERY high level unit, or the deaths caused by the volcano aren't notches on his bedpost.

Oh and who is it in the circle with spock, I think I see Hendrix, John Lennon, and Manson (charlie, not marilyn) though I could be mistaken on one or all of them
    Last edited by Fjolnir; 2009-04-17 at 11:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Parson is way more effective than the other Warlords were, which makes him a bigger monster in Sizemore's eyes. Better Warlord = Greater Evil

In other news, I love the last panel. 'Tis the season for hugs, it seems.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Something about the look on Sizemore's face when he says "Chief Butcher" is really moving. Well done.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Funny how plot lines converge. Both Parson and V are going to spend a fair amount of time atoning for the bad things they have done recently.
    Dibs on his dice.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like Sizemore's character development here, to me it shows he is 'young' in erfworld terms. Janis being a Grand Abbey, Wanda a Master-Class Croakamancer, Jack the Master-Class Foolmancer. He is the only one they do not give a direct title or higher regard. Maggie I am not so sure about I doubt she could obtain Master status since we have not 'seen her' actively leveling.

Naivity has its draw backs, and now they are being expounded upon by how one was directly involved in the events that CHANGE erf for better/worse. Janis saying that things need to be broken. Sounds something similar to what is going on around us today.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

As good as this story has been lately and as good as this individual page is, there's something about that first panel that just exemplifies how excellent this story has been from start to finish... "But we are popped in a world where peace is impossible."

That they've managed to make something this good that adheres to its conventions this well is quite a feat.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    Oh and who is it in the circle with spock, I think I see Hendrix, John Lennon, and Manson (charlie, not marilyn) though I could be mistaken on one or all of them
    I think the Manson your refering to could also be Yanni... but since I am not sure which order you are going in I am just taking a stab in the dark.
    Avatar: Red Dwagon decapitating a Cloth Golem, wonderfully drawn by Erfworld Artist Jamie Naguchi, oh yea and Rob Balder

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

I figured Janis meant that Parson can conquer the world, thus uniting everything into one faction.

Peace by winning the game.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I couldn't figure out the others, but the long-haired guy is most probably magician Doug Henning.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, any chances the Battle for Gobwin Knob was the first skirmish of the War to End Them All?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

The figures I can discern upon the mat in panel 4 are, from left to right: Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Frank Zappa, John Lennon. I have no idea who the figure on the far right is. Theme? Big hippies.

Edit:

Changing my mind - second from the left is Mama Cass.
    Last edited by Silveranon; 2009-04-18 at 04:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by mortissimus View Post
    I figured Janis meant that Parson can conquer the world, thus uniting everything into one faction.

Peace by winning the game.
    Somewhat offtopic, but is there a story where this actually happened, and was considered a good thing? Y'know instead of either the unification failing miserably after much death, or the resulting world government becoming a force of pure evil?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

God-Emperor of Dune. Granted, the resulting galactic government was a force of pure evil from the get got, but it was a good force of pure evil. Humanity expanded and survived because it didn't want another tyrant like that one.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!