New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Erfworld 155 -- tBfGK 142

Anyone else see a bit of foreshadowing here?

Stanley, Wanda, Sizemore, Parson.

Four Arkentools.

Each attuning to a different person on the side?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Luverly strip, even if its a bit of a jarring junmp from the previous one...

So, we learn lots..

GK was never taken; they had units there at all times while the coallition endured TPW.

Who cares what happened to the treasury; they have all the shmuckers they need for upkeep.

Red warlord didn't make it... Wanda did get the pliers

On aggregate, I'd call this a win for GK as they are in a far stronger position now compared to their enemies when you compare it to when we started the strip. OK, so Transylvito can cause them some grief, but they are otherwise occupied and its not as If the Tool didn't get his licks in during the last fight..

I guess all we are really waiting on now in terms of what needs to be tied up before book 2 is what the tools reaction is going to be...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecial View Post

Four Arkentools.

There are 5 arkentools, counting Charlie's. *edit: Whoops, misremembered, only four. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0042.html

And there are five characters on Stanley's side, counting Maggie.

I don't think it's been established whether the tools can potentially be attuned to more than one person (I'd guess not simultaneously, but perhaps in series).
    Last edited by SpacemanSpif; 2009-04-20 at 10:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    Or a simpler explanation is that they fled before the volcano went off, you don't level if you flee, which is why Stanley was mad at Parson for using hit and run tactics.
    And yet another possibility is simply that Sizemore was a higher level than Bogroll (rest his soul), and consequently requires more experience to raise additional levels. (It would not be a surprise if casters, in general, required more experience than other classes to raise a level.) Whatever the reason, it is probably not all that important.

Count me in the camp that finds it vaguely inexplicable for Sizemore to move so rapidly in his attitude toward Parson from the last strip to this one. It's not unbelievable, but I agree with those that this would be one good place for a bonus strip in the hard copy to help ease that transition.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well I (and many others) were expecting Wanda to be attuned to the 'Pliers, but it was still awesome to see it happen!

The large amounts of gems were shown on the Volcano spell page. Nice to see that kind of attention to detail.

And as others have said, it is kind of strange how everything seemed to go right for Parson on this page. Maybe it's because the book is nearly over. Or maybe it's because everything is going to go wrong on the next page. lol

Can't wait to see what happens next :D

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

The other level up explanation is that Bogroll was a low grade henchmen who got kill credit for a high level chief warlord.

Sizemore was already a high level caster, and massacring a bunch of gomer units doesn't give him any experience at all. Plus, what XP -was- earned, was split at least 2 ways with Maggie and Wanda.
    Last edited by Matuse; 2009-04-20 at 10:40 PM.
    Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!

7. - Top - End - #37

Wanda laughing like an Evil Overlord at a moment of Ultimate Triumph... that just can't be good.

Sizemore - he's probably a little upbeat because he can't hide his natural enthusiasm towards the fruits of the Erf - gemstones. He'll calm down.

As to being the richest side - basic economics takes over. The gems are only worth something, if there's a willing buyer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out yet the real reason we should be worried, regarding this comic.

Wanda is laughing.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

As to being the richest side - basic economics takes over. The gems are only worth something, if there's a willing buyer.
    That doesn't follow at all. Food and units pop out of nothing. I see no reason why money doesn't pop into nothing when used for upkeep, upgrades, and new units.

Wanda is laughing.
    You know, that's a really good point. Wanda doesn't laugh.
    Last edited by Matuse; 2009-04-20 at 10:44 PM.
    Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

First off where did Wanda get her new outfit? Does the magic kingdom have an evil caster outfit store?

I suspect Stanley will be something like "wtfbbq" to start off with. And then when Parson explained what happened be claim credit for the perfect warlord spell. (He can at least claim credit for saving 150k shmuckers maybe that kept Parson alive even though the city was dusted.) Then I have no clue what his reaction will be too the Wanda+pliers. Hopefully he will have a nice rationalization or have learned he can't go it alone.

And I do believe Parson proved his salt as a "Perfect" Warlord. A more skilled warlord may have taken out the siege or somesuch and won with out the volcano. But the coaltion would have simply regrouped. And Charlie may have decided he could attack and win anyway. When Jack gets a viel up everyone should think GK's dead. This was pure win for Stanley.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by eminence_grise View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out yet the real reason we should be worried, regarding this comic.

Wanda is laughing.
    Wow, good call. Totally missed that.

I'm guessing it's not because she thought of something funny.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Erfworld 155 -- tBfGK 142

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpif View Post
    Wow, good call. Totally missed that.

I'm guessing it's not because she thought of something funny.

Is it just me... or is Wanda somewhat, um... ...Eviiiiiiiil?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glome View Post
    So I wonder whether all gems come out of the ground perfectly cut in Erfworld,
    I think the very first strip answers that question.
    Oh it is the eyeball one.

14. - Top - End - #44

I'm sad to (probably) see the last of Scarlet O'Hair. I still think she might have been protected from the uncroaked Volcano and survived it, but the few remaining rock golems might have taken her out on instinct with no Warlord to stop the combat. (Yes, this requires she be a mercenary like Jillian, since the major sides all reported losing everyone to the Epic Trap.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
    Erfworld, not earth; gems can probably be put directly into a treasury, where they become shmuckers for upkeep, and possibly for cost of popping new units. Typical game play.

I wonder if Wanda would back Parson in a coup against Stanley. It might be the best thing for their faction. Which brings another thought on...

A long while back, I (among others) wondered whether the turning walnuts into pigeons indicated the Arkenhammer was atuned to Changemancy specifically, or to Stuffamancy in general. Since Dirtamancy is another aspect of Stuffamancy, a coup could leave Sizemore with a new toy and some playmates. And the Arkendish handles Thinkamancy; that combination of toys could make sane people very, very nervous. With that kind of power linked, instead of uncroaking a Volcano, they might be able to uncroak an entire fault line.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Is it me, or does Parson look worried about their suddenly wealthy situation?

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe he's concerned about Gobwin Knob attracting conquests for their wealth? How long does it take to build an army, anyway?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

In beginning GK had 500K but likely couldn't instantly turn that into a big army, armies probably take time to pop.

Now GK is lvl 0 or lvl 1 city, likely will take long time to build up to lvl 3, and pop enough units to be safe.

Every other faction is likely *very* curious on what croaked all those units, and as result either sending a scout or paying for info. First thing they will see is a fortune in gems unless they can be hidden/protected quickly.

A superweapon that also mostly croaks your own side is only of limited usefulness to stop a motivated enemy. (And it requires all 3 mages on side, and some will be able to guess the details from magic kingdom rumours)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecial View Post

Four Arkentools.

So, the dish for Parson or for Sizemore? "Hippiemancer" or Dirtamancer?

There are four known arkentools.
    Quo vadis?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    The city was totalled right? PClips? Why haven't they reverted to barbarian status? Also, how did the uncroaked survive anyway? They are even more quishy then the regular troops.
    A "city", in most games like this, is a sort of odd thing. It's an abstract representation that can have certain structures assigned to it. Generally, a city can only be destroyed by an effect that specifically destroys cities (and often only by a successful enemy attack.) Think nukes in Civilization -- they halve a city's population and blow up a bunch of structures, but won't actually destroy it. Same thing here. The city took a ton of damage and lost every single structure inside it, but since there were no enemy units left to officially raze it or declare victory, it survived.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2009-04-20 at 11:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Very cool. Very interesting.

Parson's not going home, and he's starting to realize it.

He's been through a battle that might have croaked him; he's been nerve-pinched unconscious (not just regular sleep and turn end); but most tellingly, he's been through a gate that should have disbanded him, and he's still standing in Erfworld. I think that's part of his demeanor in this page, is he really expected the portal to either kill him or send him home, but now he's facing the fact that he's stuck.

And he's a victorious Chief Warlord standing on his side's capitol site, with a massive war chest and several master-class 'mancers. And whether he knows it or not, his megalomaniac sovereign is inbound. I don't see Stanley doing anything other than resuming his crusade, but with a competent chief warlord this time. The Battle for Gobwin Knob being book one, I think book two will be Parson's Conquest, with no return home.

I agree with the posters who say the big question mark is Stanley's reaction to Wanda's attunement. But I think we'll see it soon.

We know Parson is bound by Duty, and I'm sure Stanley is still alive or we'd have seen something on panel, but here's a speculation. Parson's "special" status, combined with him not disbanding in the portal, might mean he can't be disbanded in other ways as well. A side effect of him not really being an Erf-worlder. I'm thinking that if Stanley did bite it, Parson might function as the heir, or at least go barbarian, even without being named heir. It's also possible Stanley can't disband Parson, despite his sincere belief otherwise.
    Last edited by Saladman; 2009-04-21 at 12:00 AM.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss."
    -RAH

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    You know, that's a really good point. Wanda doesn't laugh.
    Notice how her laugh seems sort of inexperienced at first, starting with a hacking "Ahaa! Hahaa!" before she really gets into the megalomaniacal groove.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

So Wanda went digging... underground... in a recently active volcano's caldera? What was she digging with? It's not like she's a dirtamancer.

In other news:

Because while Gobwin Knob looks like Boatmurdered after an elephant invasion, Stanley is still alive.
    Made me laugh!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think Sizemore ever hated Parson. He was upset, even outraged. He didn't like some of the things that Parson did. But Parson believed in him, talked to him, respected him, befriended him. And Sizemore, deep down, knows that Parson is only doing what he believes to be necessary to follow his duty, he will even try to minimize deaths and, probably, suffering.

It's no surprise that, given a compelling reason by a person whom he deeply respects, like Janis, Sizemore will quiet his own moral outrage and even disgust, emotions fed by the excitement and stress of battle. He was provided a reason to allay his visceral reactions and philosophical/moral/ethical objections, even to perhaps suppress the memories of the final battle.
    Last edited by DevilDan; 2009-04-21 at 12:13 AM.
    Quo vadis?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah, Stanley has got everything going for him...

Jack: Master-class Foolamancer, very experienced at veiling an entire capital

Sizemore: Master-class Dirtamancer, his architectural prowess should make the place quite defensible when combined with their brand new moat of lava, on top of obvious potential with lava golems

Wanda: Master-class Croakamancer, the attuned Arkentool should likely grant awesome bonuses and even better undead, then throw in the established dance-fighting

Stanley: Quality fighter, possesses an attuned Arkentool that can tame dwagons

Parson: Master class Tactics-mancer, even possesses a potent mathamancy artifact

Wealth: A windfall of massive proportions. When even Sizemore, a man known for his humility and down-to-earth (pun intended) expectations, says you're potentially the richest side in Erfworld...

Surviving Units: Now, while the casters retreated and didn't get XP for their trap, the few surviving undead and golems did stay through the entire battle. Can you imagine the potential level-ups they got?

Jillian: The only person we know of within attacking distance that has the desire to return to Gobwin Knob. She has the power and the air force to be able to strike at their absolute weakest (no Stanley, no buildings, no recuperation of health/magic). However, she's held hostage by Transylvito and will be delayed showing them where her old capital is.

The one and only downside that could potentially counter all of this...Stanley himself.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, they obviously didn't lose the city, even if it was reduced to Level 0 or 1. They had units left, and the dungeon wasn't destroyed (underground tunnels still exist). It makes sense for rock golems and undead to survive (if anything does), they don't need air and can survive in buried tunnels as long as they're not crushed or immolated.

I can definitely see the possibility of Stanley or Wanda's character development being major plot points on the way to world peace. Stanley, in particular, will have to change, lose, or die in order to give up his megalomania, and Wanda's no piece of cake either, being possibly still driven by pain or a desire for revenge.

I'm guessing the book will fill us in on more of what happens in the Magic Kingdom, I can definitely see room for another page or two to help clear up Sizemore's change of mind and the unravelling of the link.

But yeah, the book is starting to really wrap up - so any guesses on the title of the next book? What's the next arc of the story?
    Last edited by Pointyleaf; 2009-04-21 at 12:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

first of all, that wasn't Harry Blackstone Jr, that was Erfian Dr. Strange along with the Scarlet Witch and Zartanna who were all guarding Parson on the orders of grand abbie Janis. Second GK ends up on top massively, since now with the Lava moat instead of a courtyard, if they can build up the outer walls the only things that can attack are fliers (since I doubt swimming units can cross lava) combined with the fact that stanley has one of the more powerful flying units on Erf, the ONLY force who can really deal with them even in their currently weakened state is charlie, who won't touch parson with a 10 foot pole without seriously ruining a side's bank account, despite his lust for the artifact and the warlord that comes with it. Wanda needs to look at the memo again, Stanley's side isn't the evil side, get out of the red bikini and stop the maniacal laughter, you're just looking dumb. :p

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
    Wanda laughing like an Evil Overlord at a moment of Ultimate Triumph... that just can't be good.

Sizemore - he's probably a little upbeat because he can't hide his natural enthusiasm towards the fruits of the Erf - gemstones. He'll calm down.

Not how it works in a wargame. Turn starts with refresh. GK grows new buildings. Sizemore's two golems are returned to full strength. Next comes resource production. That would be Sizemore, his shovel, which we now know is actually a wand, and the golems digging for gems. Once the gems are declared they autoconvert into schmuckers in GK's account. Then comes building choice. It might be that only Stanley can give the command, but Parson probably can do this in his absence. This is where the city puts something into the popping queue. But the ruler can fasttrack the process by spending scmuckers. If i were there i'd buy as many gobwins as i could afford. Next turn, Sizemore and the gobwins do the mining, the golems wath the perimeter for scouts. Force pop a wall. Next few turns, knights and archers. No meetings with jewelers needed.
    NOGENERATION Aleph(0): Copy this into your sig and add or subtract 1 whenever you feel like it. This is a pointless experiment.

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
    . . . . . . Dr Pepper
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder: Will Stanley be overjoyed or enraged?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Knowing Stanley, probably both at once.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    I bet parson will have a wonderful time explaining to the Tool why the surrounding area is now entirely obsidian.
    "well, you see, Tool, some moron flew away with all our best flying units, some of our best ground units, our master class foolamancer and our only artifact. I had to improvise from there"

Considering hat he was able to do it Stanley didn't flew away they would have a more than fair chance to win (without destroying the city and 99.9% of their units, I mean, technically they did win)
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dmorenus View Post
    So Wanda went digging... underground... in a recently active volcano's caldera? What was she digging with?
    Plot.

So is she going to uncroak the city now?