New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Trek Movie

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    JJ Abrams may well be physically incapable of making a project without time travel of some sort.
    being a HUGE fan of J.J.'s work, I feel the slight need to quote this, since it made me laugh so hard

I thought the movie was pretty good, suffice to say I was REALLY disappointed when I heard the movie was going to take place in an "alternate reality" but I think they pulled it off better then I was suspecting. Not to mention Zoe Saldana was sooooooooo hot when she was
    Spoiler
    Show
    kissing Spock
    and man, oh man, was the dialogue hilarious! Perfectly perfect scripting, my friend had to lean over and tell me "you know...this is pretty darn funny."

I loved Scotty in it! What he does isn't glamors, but he keeps the Enterprise running. Poor Doohan...your mission ended too soon
    Last edited by Lerky; 2009-05-09 at 01:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proud Activist of The Goblinoid Sub-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre
    Let us all hail to the might of Lerky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsen
    Lerky, you have proven once again, that you are a being of tremendous might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lerky View Post

I loved Scotty in it! What he does isn't glamors, but he keeps the Enterprise running. Poor Doohan...your mission ended too soon
    Yeah.

His son cameoed, by the way.

Had a minor bit in the transporter room.

And, as always, JJ worked Greg Grunberg in.

He play's Kirk's (voice only) step dad.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

3. - Top - End - #93

I was never a fan of Star Trek and had only ever seen two random episodes but, wow, this movie is incredible. I loved every second of it. Anyways.

1. both of Spock and Kirk's childhoods are described really well in a very short time, giving more than most other movies give in a few hours (just watched X-men origins's pointless characters beforehand so it was a huge difference)
    2. humor is clever and subtle. Chekhov is funny, but mild enough not to mess up serious situations. Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I have your weapon"
    ? WIN!
    3. Uhura was particularly likeable and it's nice to finally see a sci-fi movie that has a serious female character
    Spoiler
    Show
    I loved it how no one had the courage to say anything comforting to Spock except her, some kind of silent hero

4. Except for one bit (you know), time travel is done well and makes sense most of the time.
    5. Hand to hand combat scenes are excellent as well. The camera is shaky but for some reason it didn't bother me.

In short: An awesome movie well worth seeing for both fans and non-fans (I can't emphasize enough how important this is, making it attractive to the larger audience). And though it's not the gigantic story on the level of Dark Knight, it's still superb. This new fan looks forward to the continuation of the series

p.s. I was glas to see Zachary Quinto (Sylar) from Heroes in the lead role, even if filming messed up the last season of Heroes. But I always thought his acting was great and he deserved a big role like this.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've not seen one full episode of the original series and am by no means a Trekkie, but dear God in heaven I loved this film. I haven't been smiling this much since 300, it was that kind of gleeful awesome for awesome's own sake. My only complaint was that the camera man seemed to be under attack by a vicious lens flare monster on a couple occasions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also "Phasers to full." should be forever replaced by "Prepare the face-ruiner, and stand by to eff them up royally on my command"
    Last edited by Verruckt; 2009-05-09 at 04:15 AM.
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been stoked for this movie since I saw the trailer a few months ago and was not disappointed.

I found it hilarious when
    Spoiler
    Show
    the red-suited guy gets sucked into the drill on Vulcan...

I also want to own the retractable sword in that same scene.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also like the scene where Spock and Kirk enter [future] Spock's ship.
    Ship: "Welcome, Ambassador Spock."
    Kirk: "Well that's weird."

Last edited by Forrestfire; 2009-05-09 at 09:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

I loved the bit at the end
    Spoiler
    Show
    with the two Spocks. "My customary salutation would seem rather self-serving at this point, so I will simply say, 'Good luck.'"
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #97

So apparently there's a four-issue tie-in comic that explains some of the stuff in the backstory that I found most aggravating. However, they weren't much good, and just replaced a "what? That's basic real-world science fail" with "ugh, Treknobabble with uninteresting plot frosting".

It irritates me that a major movie like this would be released with a plot hole patched over in a sub-par marketing tie-in.

Sigh... well, the movie was still full of awesome.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    So apparently there's a four-issue tie-in comic that explains some of the stuff in the backstory that I found most aggravating. However, they weren't much good, and just replaced a "what? That's basic real-world science fail" with "ugh, Treknobabble with uninteresting plot frosting".

It irritates me that a major movie like this would be released with a plot hole patched over in a sub-par marketing tie-in.

Sigh... well, the movie was still full of awesome.
    What was the plot hole? I saw it the other night (thought it was pretty bloody good), but can't think of any plot holes...

Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough...

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by revolver kobold View Post
    What was the plot hole? I saw it the other night (thought it was pretty bloody good), but can't think of any plot holes...

Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough...
    It wasn't really a plot hole in terms of internal logic. It was just that
    Spoiler
    Show
    the idea of "a supernova that threatened the galaxy", which could destroy Romulus from a whole other system, and could somehow be stopped using a black hole, was absurd. As described in the movie, it was just so thoroughly wrong that it left a bad taste in my mouth, and undermined the motivations of the villains.

The comics took the basic wrongness of this as it appeared in the movie and replaced it with rather dull Treknobabbling. I wish they'd just made it something that made some kind of sense in the first place.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

It wasn't really a plot hole in terms of internal logic. It was just that
    Spoiler
    Show
    the idea of "a supernova that threatened the galaxy", which could destroy Romulus from a whole other system, and could somehow be stopped using a black hole, was absurd. As described in the movie, it was just so thoroughly wrong that it left a bad taste in my mouth, and undermined the motivations of the villains.

The comics took the basic wrongness of this as it appeared in the movie and replaced it with rather dull Treknobabbling. I wish they'd just made it something that made some kind of sense in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OH! Yeah, I nearly stood up in the cinema and yelled out "SUPERNOVAS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY", but I don't think my friends, who are massive Trekkies, would have appreciated that.

11. - Top - End - #101

What I knew of Star Trek before this movie came from Twisted Toyfare Theatre and StarDestroyer.net so I went into the cinema expecting at best, an okay film. I didn't expect to be mightily impressed. I love an awful lot about the movie. Being a child of two different cultures myself Spock's dual heritage really resonated with me. I have to say Zachary Quinto just looks perfect for the character. Apart from the first scene as a kid where Jim Kirk was being an assh-le (I particularly loathe children without manners and sending a car over a cliff seems the epitome of that), I enjoyed the character as portrayed by Chris Pine. Proud but not too arrogant, ladies man but not too horndog, brash hot head but still with a measure of respect for the Captain. Not being over the top is the key to playing such a character and I felt Mr. Pine got it spot on.
    "Look at me, I'm Robespierre!"

I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and their stuff together...okay, three, two, one, LET'S JAM!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

I have to say, I mostly enjoyed it. But there are some nitpicks here and there, my biggest (and the one no one else me seems to care about)

Spoiler
    Show
    Since when do you give an un-commissioned Cadet the command of a Starship? Okay, maybe they gave him a special commission as an officer. Okay, maybe they would have fast-tracked him into Command Duty in his career. Okay, MAYBE they would have put him for recommendation for an early command... But the Flagship of the Federation, right off the bat?

I though you needed at least some experience in a Command position before being given such responsibility (and it's a HUGE responsibility)

also

Spoiler
    Show
    They have UNCOMMISSIONNED (or newly commissionned, or disgraced) officers serving full-time as the senior officers of the Flagship?! Same thing about up-there. Even if they are talented and gifted, they are still green peoples. Only Spock and Scotty are actually experienced officers

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finn Solomon View Post
    Not being over the top is the key to playing such a character
    I disagree:

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

7. "No Endor holocaust" is in full effect
    Could you explain what makes you say that (in a spoiler)? I cán't quite remember.
    ______

It was a lot of fun. The humour was good, a lot of the characterization was excellent (McCoy was dead on). But I really, really don't like time travel. I thought it was extraordinarly unnecessary here, and only detracted from the storytelling. And there were aspects of the plot that were straight-up stupid. So while I enjoyed it, it disappointed me.
    What I would say in favor of the time travel is that it gave Abrams the artistic freedom to get creative. The backstories of the Star Trek characters are fairly well established, and setting up an alternate timeline gives Abrams a level of liberty that would normally only be enjoyed by an outright franchise reboot... which Abrams wasn't trying to do.
    ______

Spoiler
    Show
    Admittedly, the whole supernova/black hole/Romulus thing leaves a lot to be desired as science.
    I think it would have been better from a science standpoint if
    Spoiler
    Show
    Romulus's sun threatened to go supernova, and the promise of Federation aid made "in the future" by Spock included Federation support in transporting survivors off the planet. The black hole generator could be used to create a bunch of miniature black holes at key points around the star Romulus. These holes would create direction-specific regions in which the dangerous radiation from the supernova was diverted or absorbed by gravity (see "gravitational lensing" for reference), eliminating the threat of the supernova to the surrounding star systems.

The blast of radiation from a supernova would be a threat to nearby star systems, generating enough radiation to sterilize planets even from a range of many light years. But if you can generate black holes at will, you can probably neutralize the effect of the supernova.

In this case, Spock's failure in the future would be far more specific and significant. Not only would he personally have failed to put a defense in place to protect Romulus specifically, but the Federation would failed in its promise to evacuate the Romulan people as a whole. That would help to justify Nero's anger at the Federation in general, rather than at Spock and the Vulcans specifically.
    Last edited by Dervag; 2009-05-09 at 04:44 PM.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

15. - Top - End - #105

I liked the movie, but it wasn't really Star Trek anymore. I do have a couple of questions/nitpicks, though:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Why are Sulu and Chekov older (or at least more senior) than Kirk? I always thought the Original Series Chekov/Sulu were meant to be younger and to be tutored by the older Kirk. How does time travel change those age differences?

2) Who in God's name promotes a completely inexperienced cadet to first officer? And what kind of mock-military then promotes said cadet to captain of the flagship? I would have understood if they had promoted him to lieutenant right away (he'd still would have skipped two ranks this way), but to captain? Come on ...

3) Are there no senior officers in Star Fleet to man the bridge on the Federation flagship? The whole bridge crew seems to consist of newly commissioned cadets (except for Spock).

4) Why does McCoy attend Starfleet Academy? He's already a doctor when he boards the shuttle with Kirk and shouldn't have to go through the whole drill.

5) Why has the Enterprise more than one Warpcore? And why looked main engineering like the engine room in a 19th century steam ship? Even engineering in Enterprise (that other mostly godawful prequel) looked more futuristic than this.

6) Why did the Old Spock just accept Vulcan's demise? He's obviously quite smart and knows about time travel (did it himself quite a few times). He could just fix everything, yet seems to be contented by picking out a new planet for the few surviving vulcans.
    Last edited by LCR; 2009-05-09 at 04:55 PM.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    What I would say in favor of the time travel is that it gave Abrams the artistic freedom to get creative. The backstories of the Star Trek characters are fairly well established, and setting up an alternate timeline gives Abrams a level of liberty that would normally only be enjoyed by an outright franchise reboot... which Abrams wasn't trying to do.
    Eh. Using time travel as an excuse to rewrite history seems to me a worse option than just saying "yeah... we're rewriting how some of this stuff happened". A reboot, in my opinion, would have been a cleaner and more satisfying option (did we really need to be reassured that, it's okay! this new movie won't change the events of Insurrection!?).

I also think the time travel weakened the plot in a specific way:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Past a certain point you basically had Future!Spock telling everyone that they were destined to become great friends and do x, y and z. I would have preferred an organic development where they did this for themselves.

SCIENCE!:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The blast of radiation from a supernova would be a threat to nearby star systems, generating enough radiation to sterilize planets even from a range of many light years.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, but not that badly and not from that far away. It would clearly not be something that "threatened the galaxy" (was that line really necessary?). And it's highly implausible to me that it's easier to do anything with black holes than to just shield specific endangered planets, in the Trek verse; and even then, the Romulans are the faction in established canon would would least need outside help in manipulating black holes for their advantage.

And science-related plot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The basic idea was clear enough: they needed a disaster, and a way for Nero to blame the disaster on Our Heroes, and a way for him to have a specific MacGuffiny doomsday device, which is easiest if linked to the disaster. But in execution, I felt it fell flat. (For one thing, if you can make black holes, there's no reason to drill to the planet's core first. You can just fire the black hole itself, directly. Or drop the red matter bomb onto the surface - any reason why that shouldn't work?)

Overall, I think the movie would have been better with no time travel, with a "conventional" enemy and a little less contrivance in how the crew came together (as Solka mentioned, it's a little incredible that Kirk would be made captain (right over Spock's head!) fresh out of the Academy and take over a command crew who mostly found their way to their positions by accident or battlefield promotion).

But still, we got a fun movie with a lot of good to be said for it.

And BEAM SPAM in Trek, with BSG-style camerawork, which was pretty winful.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LCR View Post
    I liked the movie, but it wasn't really Star Trek anymore. I do have a couple of questions/nitpicks, though:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Why are Sulu and Chekov older (or at least more senior) than Kirk? I always thought the Original Series Chekov/Sulu were meant to be younger and to be tutored by the older Kirk. How does time travel change those age differences?

2) Who in God's name promotes a completely inexperienced cadet to first officer? And what kind of mock-military then promotes said cadet to captain of the flagship? I would have understood if they had promoted him to lieutenant right away (he'd still would have skipped two ranks this way), but to captain? Come on ...

3) Are there no senior officers in Star Fleet to man the bridge on the Federation flagship? The whole bridge crew seems to consist of newly commissioned cadets (except for Spock).

4) Why does McCoy attend Starfleet Academy? He's already a doctor when he boards the shuttle with Kirk and shouldn't have to go through the whole drill.

5) Why has the Enterprise more than one Warpcore? And why looked main engineering like the engine room in a 19th century steam ship? Even engineering in Enterprise (that other mostly godawful prequel) looked more futuristic than this.

6) Why did the Old Spock just accept Vulcan's demise? He's obviously quite smart and knows about time travel (did it himself quite a few times). He could just fix everything, yet seems to be contented by picking out a new planet for the few surviving vulcans.
    Spoiler
    Show

1.)Um, Kirk's like 25. Whereas Chekov said he was 17. Sulu's age is indeterminate.
    2.)No answer at this time...
    3.)I think the point there was that the emergency came up so suddenly that cadets were all they had.
    4.)He'd still need to learn Starfleet regs and procedures. Maybe learn to even more medical techniques as well.
    5.)Redundancy? Plus, it looks like it ejected 8 reactors total. Which happens to match the number of reactors on the nuclear carrier...USS Enterprise. And while I could have done with a touch less clutter, I liked this look. It looked like a real engineering section. You want exposed machinery so it's easier to get to.
    6.)Well, the time travel that got him there was a no-go. And most/all other methods he knew of were unreliable, if not outright dangerous or one-shots. Maybe he also didn't want to try looping around time that much. Plus, it's nice that there's not a magic reset button for the film.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

18. - Top - End - #108

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what is ever established either way about Sulu's age in the original series or in this movie. He was junior to Kirk in the original, of course, but not necessarily younger. In this one, he was freshly-assigned, right? I can't remember whether an ensign or lieutenant... anyway, he was pretty green, as far as I could tell.

Chekov was seventeen in the movie, so certainly younger than Kirk, and possibly more junior (it was hard to tell who was meant to be a real officer assigned to the Enterprise before the crisis and who was a still-technically-a-cadet filling a role for the emergency).

Spoiler
    Show

Agreed that this was silly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably, to become a military officer trained to operate as a doctor on a starship, rather than just act as a civilian doctor. You'll note that he doesn't take longer than Kirk (who's fast-tracking his way through, after all) to be ship-ready. And if you think he shouldn't need to learn as much Starfleet-specific stuff on top of his doctoring to serve, you may be right, but maybe the added time is taken up with xenobiology and suchlike so that he can learn to treat alien crew members and "new life" after an Earth-bound medical career?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Style. It didn't look like "a 19th century steam ship" to me but like the beating heart of a complex machine such as one might find in the engine room of a real-world modern naval vessel. I think they took it a bit far, but eh.

Why multiple warp cores? Well, that may have just been one warp core in several parts. Or they may have been ejecting the antimatter containment pods as well as the core. Or they may have been obeying sensible design practices and employing redundancy in a critical system. Or maybe that's how warp cores looked back before they switched from lithium to dilithium .

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    True... that's also a problem. The obvious caveat is that time travel is unpredictable. The obvious real-world explanation is that it would alter the story that we'd just been told and wipe out the established events that the sequels will build on. But neither of those really hold up. This sort of thing is another reason I dislike time travel in Trek stories...

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

1.)Um, Kirk's like 25. Whereas Chekov said he was 17. Sulu's age is indeterminate.
    2.)No answer at this time...
    3.)I think the point there was that the emergency came up so suddenly that cadets were all they had.
    4.)He'd still need to learn Starfleet regs and procedures. Maybe learn to even more medical techniques as well.
    5.)Redundancy? Plus, it looks like it ejected 8 reactors total. Which happens to match the number of reactors on the nuclear carrier...USS Enterprise. And while I could have done with a touch less clutter, I liked this look. It looked like a real engineering section. You want exposed machinery so it's easier to get to.
    6.)Well, the time travel that got him there was a no-go. And most/all other methods he knew of were unreliable, if not outright dangerous or one-shots. Maybe he also didn't want to try looping around time that much. Plus, it's nice that there's not a magic reset button for the film.
    1) My point being that they still graduated before Kirk (he's a cadet, Chekov's an ensign, Sulu a lieutenant) and are therefore more senior (or would be, if it weren't for Kirk's magical promotion)
    3) You'd still think they had some officers left to man the flagship ...
    4) Of course, I can't really know this for sure, but in most armed forces, physicians are more or less directly commissioned and not required to attend the regular service academies
    5) I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense to have more than one warpcore (in fact, that's probably a good idea), only no other ship in Star Trek ever had more than one warpcore. Why would they suddenly implement such a radical change in design?
    6) Only they also did that in that movie where they had to fetch those whales from the past. Simply by flying through a sun. And they have the Guardian of Forever. Sure, might be risky, but you'd think that billions of Vulcans saved might be a good enough reason to try anyway.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

5) I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense to have more than one warpcore (in fact, that's probably a good idea), only no other ship in Star Trek ever had more than one warpcore. Why would they suddenly implement such a radical change in design?
    Do we know if none of the other vessels in the movie (well, Starfleet vessels, anwyays) had more than one?

Maybe they implemented it for the same reason that they had non-exploding consoles: It makes sense!
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked it very much.

Could you explain what makes you say that (in a spoiler)? I cán't quite remember.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...EndorHolocaust

The Drill over earth reach through the atmosphere and the drill was powerful enough to reach the earths core in a matter of minutes/hours. S, even assuming that there's some special shield around the drill to concentrate energy (a very good idea, and the only possible way Kirk and co could have done their attempted heroics on Vulcan) how does whats basically a space elevator falling form the sky have no affect on the local climate? shouldn't it cause some mass destruction? yet the academy that (from what I understand from one viewing) is on the same bay that the drill was directed at is completely unharmed from the events of the movie.

also, should the Black hole from all those red matter droplets be bigger, rather then smaller then the one made from only one?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Peace and Long Life
    PHP Code:
                            NNh                    
                MM          MMMM                   
                MMM        MMMM  MM                
                MMM       NMMMM NMM                
             N  MMM       MMMM  MMM                
            MMM MMM      NMMMM  MMM                
            MMM  MMN     MMMM MMMN                 
            MMM  MMM     MMMM NMMM                 
            MMMN MMM   MMMM MMMM                   
            MMMM  MMMMNMMMMM MMMM                  
             MMMMNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                  
             MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                  
             MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                  
             MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                  
            NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                  
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM          MMMMMN 
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN    NMMMMMMMMN  
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM     
            NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM        
             MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN           
             MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN                
              NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM                    
                    NMMMMMN 
    Live long and Prosper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

23. - Top - End - #113

1) My point being that they still graduated before Kirk (he's a cadet, Chekov's an ensign, Sulu a lieutenant) and are therefore more senior (or would be, if it weren't for Kirk's magical promotion)
    The whole point of the alternate timeline-ness was that Kirk grew up without his father as an inspiration, etc. Therefore he joined Starfleet later than he did in the original timeline, allowing Chekhov and Sulu a headstart on him.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok I just got back from seeing the new star trek movie and wow it was really good. It’s not the best in the franchise, but its still pretty good. The movie is exactly what it looks like a rip roaring action flick, with lots of shooting, yelling and explosions. As a result the plot is about as thin as you’d expect. The actors bang on nailed the characters… with the exception of Chekov, who was a little too… cheery for the roll. Going in, my worst concern is that the actors would botch the job with the characters they were given, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good of a job they did.

Not to give anything thing away, but the movie takes place in an alternative reality which means they can throw any sort of continuity they had out the window. While it technically isn't a reboot, you can easily think of it as sort of one. This may or may not enrage hard core Trekkies, so season to taste.

About the only thing I didn’t like was that the movie was way to busy. Everything (and I mean everything) is moving, flashing and spinning. Even in the scenes where there shouldn’t be anything like that. I made the person next to me sick and caused a little bit of sensory overload. There’s so much of it that it detracts from the action of the scene.

25. - Top - End - #115

I was a bit weirded out by the interior design until I got that it was a partial deconstruction/homage to Used Future ideas. most modern scifi like BSG, ships are old and look like industrial plants half-falling apart. the new design takes the elements of this (catwalks, vast cramped space) but doesn't make it used - its all shiny, new, and still has its OSHA approval stickers. the style is used future spacetech before its, well, used.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...EndorHolocaust

The Drill over earth reach through the atmosphere and the drill was powerful enough to reach the earths core in a matter of minutes/hours. S, even assuming that there's some special shield around the drill to concentrate energy (a very good idea, and the only possible way Kirk and co could have done their attempted heroics on Vulcan) how does whats basically a space elevator falling form the sky have no affect on the local climate? shouldn't it cause some mass destruction? yet the academy that (from what I understand from one viewing) is on the same bay that the drill was directed at is completely unharmed from the events of the movie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not that big, and probably not that heavy (considering it's hanging from a starship). And it's not falling from that high. It's not the Death Star, you know.

The bay you're seeing is the San Francisco Bay, by the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    also, should the Black hole from all those red matter droplets be bigger, rather then smaller then the one made from only one?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why should it? "Red matter" only starts the reaction. The size of the black hole is proportionate to the mass that's in it, and instead of a planet (Vulcan), it only has a single ship to "feed" on.

By the way, just came back from seeing it. It was awesome.

Screw sequels, I want a new series.
    Last edited by A. Smith; 2009-05-09 at 10:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

It way a very good film, although I didn't really like the time-travel reboot thing (to say nothing of the whole "time travel through a black hole" bollocks, which irritated the hell out of me).

Also, while he did a good job, seeing Simon Pegg as Scotty is a surreal experience.
    Last edited by Turcano; 2009-05-09 at 10:52 PM.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

28. - Top - End - #118

Just saw it and I thought it was very good, though my opinion of Star Trek is based on a couple episodes of the original series, I really haven't seen much Star Trek at all. The black holes didn't really make much sense, but the rest of the movie makes up for it. Also I liked how they mainly adhered to the no sound in space.

Spoiler
    Show
    With the final explosion I swear they were right by Earth, considering the warp took basically no time. And wouldn't the huge black hole affect something negatively, just maybe.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the final explosion I swear they were right by Earth, considering the warp took basically no time. And wouldn't the huge black hole affect something negatively, just maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not really. A black hole with only the mass of a ship isn't very dangerous at all. Not more dangerous then the ship being there.
    Last edited by A. Smith; 2009-05-10 at 12:30 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

It was awesome. That is all.